Importing 2013-2017 Nissan leaf from japan

Nissan EV Interest Group
eleon00
Noobie

Importing 2013-2017 Nissan leaf from japan

Post by eleon00 »

Hello,

I was browsing through sevs list and found out that the Nissan leaf is allowed in the list for model AZE0 made between 2013-2017. I was wondering if someone here has successfully imported one from Japan? What was the experience like? And how much did it all cost you "driveway." Any tips?

Thank you!
praxidice
Groupie

Re: Importing 2013-2017 Nissan leaf from japan

Post by praxidice »

To the best of my knowledge, the only Nissan EV on the SEV list is the NV200 van. SEV rules apply to low volume special interest vehicles and prohibit vehicles already sold locally in volume by the manufacturer.

I imported a Minicab through JSpec without major problems and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The costs are clearly laid out on the JSpec website.

Just checked the SEV list and discovered C88/01 MA Nissan Leaf AZEO 01/06/2013 to 31/09/2017 is indeed listed. That said, AZEO does appear to be the same vehicle Nissan imported a shipload of from the UK in 2011 or 2012. I wonder if some muppet stuffed up and what 'should' be listed is the NV200 ?
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

They are absolutely being imported...at least two guys I know of are bringing them in right now...
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

I doubt the battery is any better. Judging from a single sample, degradation rate is the same with earlier one.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I emailed jspec about getting a leaf imported and this was the reply-

"The Leaf is technically not importable at this moment in time so that's why it's not currently on the J-Spec site, however things are looking pretty good with these. There is a test vehicle in the country and all of the regulatory stuff will be finished shortly so in fact we can now start buying Leafs, and by the time one we've bought arrives in Australia compliance will be ready and we're good to go."

"2012 - 2017 models will be importable with either the 24kWh or later 30kWh battery, prices range roughly from the mid teens to mid 20's for a good condition car depending on mileage, specs and year, so if you did want us to start looking for one I'd be happy to help."
tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger »

A great resource here:
https://samholford.github.io/leafguide/

that covers a few issues with the Japanese imports, how to overcome some of them, plus reading the comments gives a good insight into the pricing New Zealanders are paying.
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

tassie_tiger wrote: Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 17:34 A great resource here:
https://samholford.github.io/leafguide/
That is seriously good info, thanks for sharing the link!
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Got another email from jspec. Leaf's are officially on their site.
About $20,000 landed and complied which is about the going rate for a leaf here.
While a Japanese leaf has drawbacks at least this gives more variations/choices to the market as opposed to at the moment where in Australia there is only handful for sale out there at best.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I wonder if JDM Leafs have the early battery that gave trouble in some parts of the US or the replacement 'lizard' battery ? According to several sources, JDM Leafs retain the 3kw charger, unlike UK ones which have a 6kw charger. Personally I wouldn't buy a 2017 eNV200 because we are likely to see 2018 40kw versions coming through japanese auctions in a year or two. That said, it is encouraging to see the latest SEV compliance which sets the stage for the next generation vehicles. Mind you it will be interesting to find what happens if / when Nissan starts bringing in 40kw Leafs as has been suggested. Those whose interest is a JDM Leaf rather than eNV200 may well be better off getting one while they can. Even if Nissan Australia starts importing Leafs again, I don't expect that eNV200s will be included. My guess is that SEV rules will spell the end of Leaf imports from the time Nissan Australia starts selling them here. Judging from the first generation Leaf RRP debacle, 2018 / 2019 'official' imports will wear a ridiculous price tag.