Interesting issue affecting private imports

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
praxidice
Groupie

Interesting issue affecting private imports

Post by praxidice »

I recently purchased a Type 2 to J1772 and a Tesla to J1772 adaptor from Gelco and found that neither would connect. After a bit of investigation we found that cars intended for the japanese market don't have two pins in the J1772 socket connected. Its apparently still possible to use one of the Tesla to 15 amp 3 pin Australian adaptors with an EVSE, but not the Type 2 to J1772 cable or the Tesla to J1772 adaptor without rewiring the onboard J1772 socket.

My current thoughts are that rather than spend the $500 odd fiddling with the onboard J1772 and another $300 odd on the Type 2 to J1772 cable, I'd be better off putting that money toward a 10kw Setec portable chademo.

Note that Leaf and iMiEV vehicles originally sold by the Australian dealers probably won't have this issue, but private non-dealership imports of iMiEV Minicab, e-NV2000 etc are likely to have the same problem with Type 2 to J1772 and Tesla to J1772. Whether or not privately imported Leaf, iMiEV etc are affected is another question.
mikedufty

Re: Interesting issue affecting private imports

Post by mikedufty »

The first batch of i-MiEvs (2010) had 2 pins missing from the J1772, which sounds like the same. Many have been modified, I heard it was not difficult, but don't know, mine came that way. Not sure if it is a full fix, but enough to work with the public J1772 chargers.

Wouldn't you need to go through the CHademo to charge any faster than the standard 15a charger anyway? I think the J1772 still uses the onboard charger.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

The mod is a resistor and a diode. Maybe two resistors, a switch and a diode if you want it to work with all stations. Not expensive, just a bit of soldering
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

The issue I'm on about with the Minicab seems a different one to the early iMiev one even though the two missing pins is a similar factor. Public 1772 stations are never a problem for me ... the only things I know of that don't work are the Type 2 to 1772 and Tesla to 1772 cables. Its still possible to use a Tesla charger using the Tesla to 3 pin adaptor.

I'd appreciate details of the resistor / diode / switch solution as I haven't seen that detailed anywhere. To date the only thing I've been told about involves a $400 cable harness from Gelco and maybe $100 labour to fit it and I don't see that as value for money given the dearth of Type 2 connections in south east Queensland.

Chademo is unquestionably a far better option. We were supposed to get one at Helensvale as part of the Electric Highway, but that one has been put on hold for months. I notice yesterday that the chademo / CCS at Brisbane BMW has gone too but hopefully it will return after repairs. I have in mind getting a 10kw portable Setec chademo if I can locate some 3 phase outlets in my travel area. To date I haven't found one but I have a few places to look . Whilst portable chademos are supposed to work with single phase power, I think it would need 32 amps for them to be practical and 32 amp single phase outlets are rarer than rocking horse droppings. Adaptors to suit single and three phase Tesla, and the relatively rare Type 2 should be possible together with a 32 amp 3 phase connection if I can find them where I want to travel.

Other forums refer to a number of AEVA threads dating back a few years but it seems everything more than a few years old has been removed. Is there any way to retrieve those threads which have been removed ?
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

If you can use public J1772 stations such as the ones at Brisbane BMW, Carindale and Chermside, then the pins aren't missing. They are much finer and more recessed than the other three.

From your description, I suspect your car has a diode and equivalent resistor without switching. To test this, go to King George Car Park in Brisbane and try charging. If your car charges at the Chargepoint stations but not at King George Square then this is likely the case. The KGS charging station is near the exit gate. Find an attendant and they will initiate the EVSE. This will also explain why your Tesla to J1772 adaptor doesn't work. If your car charges at KGS, then there is a switching function but the delay is too short for Tesla charging. If this is the case, then your existing adaptor cables could simply be modified to work.

The resistor/diode/switch solution is detailed here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5568

I am not convinced a portable chademo is a better solution as there is an extensive network of charge station around south east Queensland. It may have some value if it could be used to maximise the output from the J1772 and Tesla charge stations. Twenty years ago, asking for a charge was well receive due to the novelty of my car. These days, it is a lot less well received.

I suggest you attend the Brisbane branch meeting this Wednesday night to try and resolve the issue. We could also take your car and various adaptors to Eat Street and try various combinations.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I've never been in King George Square but will attempt to get there in the near future. Is there another comparable J1772 somewhere closer to the Gold Coast as I spend much more time in that part of the world than in Brisbane.

My interest in a portable chademo derives from the painful wait for a full charge using the normal J1772. For example, a trip from the Gold Coast to Brisbane northside involves three charges with ninety minutes to two hours a time. That is beyond ridiculous whereas three chademo charges would get it down to ninety minutes total. Currently there is a working Veefil at Yarrabilba, a long delayed Electric Highway one supposed to be coming to Helensvale, the broken / gone / hopefully being repaired one that used to live at Brisbane BMW, and an Electric Highway one I've yet to find at Hamilton. A portable chademo would fill in the gap when a 50kw chademo is broken or when I need to go outside the area. The $3000 odd ifor a Setec is a long way short of the cost of a bigger battery pack even if more capacity is possible, and that is an unknown quantity. Graeme from SuziAuto believes it is possible to rig 100 odd batteries to give 300 and something volts, then feed the existing battery via some kind of chademo connection, but it would cost around $9000.

Down the track I intend getting a 40kw EV2000, however it will probably be a year or two before one of those turns up in a japanese auction.

I'll try to get to Brisbane on Wednesday night but I doubt that I can find the time to get the Mitsubishi there. With the gear I have at present, I'd need to leave home around midday and expect to get back in the early hours of Thursday morning. I'm on the northside now and heading home shortly (1600), will top up at SuziAuto, again at Yarrabilba and again at Toll, maybe home by 2200.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I have that diagram for the iMiEV fix somewhere. On way to work now - will dig it out when home and upload in next few days. PM me if I haven't posted it by this weekend
(Is going to be a busy week - I am likely to forget!)
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Thanks, I'll decide whether or not to go down that track when I see what is involved. I know Gelco has a solution for early MiEVs but its not a cheap fix for a minor problem, its designed for a different wiring configuration and this Minicab is a current model. Given the time involved in J1772 charging and in view of what I'm trying to do, a portable chademo is very high on my list. Level 2 charging is like the early days of the internet when WWW meant world wide wait. Its fine when you aren't trying to go someplace but not exactly ideal otherwise. Currently I'm trying to sort out what adaptors are possible especially three phase Tesla to Setec, mennekes single and three phase to Setec, and J1772 to Setec.
reecho

Post by reecho »

882 ohm resistor and 1N4148 diode between pilot signal and ground.

http://23.21.184.60/evtv-word-press/wp- ... 1772-1.jpg

You can add a pin if you can source the OEM Yazaki one. Tesla Destination chargers have a beef with Mitsubishi cars in general.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

That switch on the vehicle side - is it a microswitch built into the Type-2 car charge port?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
reecho

Post by reecho »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:47 That switch on the vehicle side - is it a microswitch built into the Type-2 car charge port?
That switch isn't strictly required. But you could put it in next to the charge port. With it activated it holds the charger in a ready to charge state.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

My present situation is that I've avoided the Tesla to J1772 problem by using a Tesla to 3 pin 15 amp adaptor, consequently there doesn't appear to be anything to be gained from a Tesla destination charger perspective from messing with the onboard J1772 socket. That said, I still can't use a type 2 to J1772 cable, so would that constitute another reason to sort out the business that others have referred to ? Seems that I'd need another J1772 socket with all pins intact to begin with, but that alone wouldn't be a problem as I can't see any reason why two J1772 sockets can't live in the same vehicle and an internal one solves to some extent the problem of tampering by the lowlife element. I couldn't get to the Brisbane meeting on Wednesday night due to other commitments, will try in July with a view to having someone more experienced having a look at the car.

My primary focus is on getting the Setec here and adaptors made for J1772 and type 2. Setec have advised they will supply a portable chademo with both single and three phase connections so that is one hurdle I don't need to surmount. I'm told that Gelco can make a type 2 to three phase adaptor but they can't make a J1772 to single phase adaptor, however the people at https://www.evseadapters.com/ claim they can. An issue I need to resolve however is to do with the different versions of J1772 plug used in europe and the US ... what version is used in Australia ?
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I haven't experienced any issue with charging the Minicab from a Tesla charging station using the Gelco Tesla to 3 pin adaptor, apart of course from the time it takes. The problem I had was with the Gelco Tesla to J1772 and Type 2 to J1772 cables (both not requiring use of a 'regular' EVSE). I still have no way to charge from type 2 as a type 2 to J1772 cable will not work.

Maybe I'm off on the wrong track here but the fact that neither Tesla to J1772, nor type 2 to J1772 cables work seems to imply more than the lack of a couple or resistors and a switch.

Is there any point in messing around with the onboard J1772 socket anyway when the real issue is speeding up charge time and that necessarily means chademo. Presumably chademo protocols aren't affected with the same bugs as J1772 ? In other words, J1772 to Setec, and type 2 to Setec appear to be straightforward.

That does however introduce another question. Apparently there are two different renditions of J1772, one for europe and one for the US. Where Japan and Australian fit in that equation is something else again. What is the difference between the two, and how is the difference likely to impact what kind of J1772 socket (and / or J1772 wiring) I will need to convert / adapt an Australian J1772 charging point to 3 pin 32 amp socket ? Bob from Gelco doesn't think its possible, but evseadaptors in the US says its straightforward.
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:47 That switch on the vehicle side - is it a microswitch built into the Type-2 car charge port?
A local iMiEV had the components installed inside the J1772 charge port, and the switch mounted in a recess in the panel lining the inside of the car above the rear wheel. It is left permanently on and only used for the occasional EVSE and three phase Tesla HPWCs. This arrangement is working well and is free from interference from people passing by.
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

praxidice wrote: Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 09:21 I haven't experienced any issue with charging the Minicab from a Tesla charging station using the Gelco Tesla to 3 pin adaptor, apart of course from the time it takes. The problem I had was with the Gelco Tesla to J1772 and Type 2 to J1772 cables (both not requiring use of a 'regular' EVSE). I still have no way to charge from type 2 as a type 2 to J1772 cable will not work.

My understanding of the information you have provided is that you are using a Gelco Tesla to 3 pin adaptor and a portable EVSE to connect your car to Tesla HPWCs. This indicates to me that your car must have at least one of the "missing" pins. Could you humour me and have another close look? The pins are much smaller and deeply recessed. I suggest you use a small torch and try at night to avoid the glare from sunlight.

If your Gelco Tesla to 3 pin adaptor does not have a switch in the handle, it has the simple diode and equivalent resistor mentioned above built in to the handle. It will only work with single phase Tesla HPWCs. If it has the switch, it is the newer version and can be used with the single and most, but not all, 3 phase HPWCs.
praxidice wrote: Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 09:21 Maybe I'm off on the wrong track here but the fact that neither Tesla to J1772, nor type 2 to J1772 cables work seems to imply more than the lack of a couple or resistors and a switch.
You could be correct. The resistor diode combination, with or without a switch, is just a crude method for for us conversion and early iMiEV owners to access the public charge network by supplying a signal to fool the EVSEs. EVs with EVSE capability have this functionality as well as other features such as the EVSE being able to tell the car what maximum power is available.

I suspect that the failure of your car to charge with the Gelco Tesla to J1772 cable is similar to the switch on the Tesla to 3 pin adaptor being operated too quickly. Also, your car may just not be compatible with the Tesla HPWCs, which are after all designed for Tesla use, not other brands.

On Saturday night, I took a Minicab to the Queensland Electric Highway site at Hamilton Northshore to try a type 2 to J1772 cable. The car charged successfully.
I also went to Toombul Shoppingtown to try the type 2 EVSE there. Again it charged successfully.
IMG_15242.jpg
IMG_15242.jpg (192.5 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Very interesting. I assume your Minicab is a U67 which looks like it came from JustBuses as its the only one I've seen with mag wheels. That said, there 'should' not be any difference with my later U68. Neither (the two switch) Tesla to J1772 nor the type 2 mennekes to J1772 worked. The locations I tried included Bayview Marina (3 phase Tesla), Toll Molendinar (single phase Tesla, and Griffith University Parkwood (both 3 phase Tesla and type 2 mennekes. Gelco replaced the Tesla to J1772 adaptor with a Tesla to 3 pin 15 amp adaptor (also latest type with two switches) and it works at Toll Molendinar although I haven't tried any three phase Tesla chargers as yet. I'm not particularly concerned about a type 2 mennekes to J1772 adaptor as I'll be using the Setec with appropriate adaptors as soon as it arrives.

I was on the phone to Bob from Gelco when I tried the 3 phase Tesla at Bayview Marina and both the 3 phase Tesla and type 2 mennekes at Griffith University Parkwood, and it was his advice that the issue was caused by two missing pins as he said he'd experienced the same problem in the past. What happened was that the charge indicator on the Minicab flashed for 10 - 15 seconds then went out. I just had another look at my J1772 socket and it does seem to have the two 'missing' pins although they are very small and deeply recessed compared with other pins. I can only guess that these pins do not contact the corresponding connectors in Gelco adaptors. Maybe you used a different breed of cable / adaptor although the one shown in the photo looks similar to the one I had.

Sometime Thursday I'll probably use the Coolangatta airport chademo and on Thursday evening the Yarrabilba chademo which will get me to Brisbane OK. Coming back on Sunday I plan on going to Yarrabilba again but will need to top up at either Toll or via generator to get home. That hour or so would be far less annoying with the Setec. I was hoping that the Helensvale 50kw chademo would have been installed by now but its anyone's guess how long that will be delayed. Officially its supposed to be August or September but I'll believe it when I see it. I have a range of advocacy interactions with the Queensland government and have good reason for extreme cynicism regarding anything in which it is involved.
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 Very interesting. I assume your Minicab is a U67 which looks like it came from JustBuses as its the only one I've seen with mag wheels. That said, there 'should' not be any difference with my later U68.
Not my Minicab. Yes it is a U67 but I have been told it did not come from JustBuses but may have been complied by them. The owner has recently fitted it with iMiEV wheels which are bigger, wider and have more offset. They fill the mudguards nicely and it looks a lot better than before.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 Neither (the two switch) Tesla to J1772 nor the type 2 mennekes to J1772 worked. The locations I tried included Bayview Marina (3 phase Tesla), Toll Molendinar (single phase Tesla, and Griffith University Parkwood (both 3 phase Tesla and type 2 mennekes. Gelco replaced the Tesla to J1772 adaptor with a Tesla to 3 pin 15 amp adaptor (also latest type with two switches) and it works at Toll Molendinar although I haven't tried any three phase Tesla chargers as yet. I'm not particularly concerned about a type 2 mennekes to J1772 adaptor as I'll be using the Setec with appropriate adaptors as soon as it arrives.
The Tesla to J1772 adaptor seems to work for most cars, but for some reason Tesla HPWCs and iMiEVs don't play well together. Your solution of using the Tesla to 3 pin adaptor is probably the most practical one, particularly if the EVSE output matches the maximum onboard charger output.

From the above, it appears you have only tried the type 2 to J1772 adaptor at one site. Given that I was able to charge a Minicab at 2 locations in Brisbane, I suspect the problem is the the charge station at Parkwood. To test this, I suggest you take the car to Toombul Shoppingtown and charge using the provided cable. If this works, remove the cable and use yours. I would then take the car to Hamilton Northshore where you will have to use your own cable. There are also 2 Tritium fast chargers. If you then go to the other end of the carpark, you will find a Tesla 3 phase HPWC. It is surprisingly hard to find as it only has a small EV only parking sign. Look for a small green fake grass covered wall between 2 parking spaces

The Setec will be ideal for your longer trips but I believe that for destination charging, plugging directly in to the provided charge stations will reduce undesirable attention.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 I just had another look at my J1772 socket and it does seem to have the two 'missing' pins although they are very small and deeply recessed compared with other pins.
You would not have been able to use the J1772 charge stations or your portable EVSE if they weren't there.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 I can only guess that these pins do not contact the corresponding connectors in Gelco adaptors. Maybe you used a different breed of cable / adaptor although the one shown in the photo looks similar to the one I had.
I suspect the pins, adaptors and cables are all OK.

Have you ordered your Setec? The owner of the Minicab I used is interested in getting 1 or 2 of them. There may be some savings in importing multiple units. He also is authorised (whatever that means) to import electrical goods and is qualified to work on them.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

I have issues with charging imiev at the Chargepoint Australia (CA) garden city shopping centre in Perth. Imiev charges fine at other CA sites.

The imiev charge LED flashes then goes out.
If I put 90 degree stress on the cable it works. So it seems that the pilot pins are not connecting.

Garden City Shopping Centre
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/57570

This is probably the most used j1772 location.

Have reported it to Chargepoint Australia, but nothing has been done.
My diagnosis is that the j1772 connector is worn and needs replacing.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Jeff Owen wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 20:20
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 Very interesting. I assume your Minicab is a U67 which looks like it came from JustBuses as its the only one I've seen with mag wheels. That said, there 'should' not be any difference with my later U68.
Not my Minicab. Yes it is a U67 but I have been told it did not come from JustBuses but may have been complied by them. The owner has recently fitted it with iMiEV wheels which are bigger, wider and have more offset. They fill the mudguards nicely and it looks a lot better than before.

That is interesting. I'll do the same in the forseeable future as the standard MiEV wheels look toy-like. I had the idea that the standard iMiEV wheels were too big in diameter for a Minicab but if someone has actually done this and had no problems, it is obviously fine.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 Neither (the two switch) Tesla to J1772 nor the type 2 mennekes to J1772 worked. The locations I tried included Bayview Marina (3 phase Tesla), Toll Molendinar (single phase Tesla, and Griffith University Parkwood (both 3 phase Tesla and type 2 mennekes. Gelco replaced the Tesla to J1772 adaptor with a Tesla to 3 pin 15 amp adaptor (also latest type with two switches) and it works at Toll Molendinar although I haven't tried any three phase Tesla chargers as yet. I'm not particularly concerned about a type 2 mennekes to J1772 adaptor as I'll be using the Setec with appropriate adaptors as soon as it arrives.
The Tesla to J1772 adaptor seems to work for most cars, but for some reason Tesla HPWCs and iMiEVs don't play well together. Your solution of using the Tesla to 3 pin adaptor is probably the most practical one, particularly if the EVSE output matches the maximum onboard charger output.

I have yet to try the Gelco Tesla to 3 pin adaptor on a three phase destination HPWC but I'm assured that the latest two switch adaptor works with both single and three phase HPWCs.

From the above, it appears you have only tried the type 2 to J1772 adaptor at one site. Given that I was able to charge a Minicab at 2 locations in Brisbane, I suspect the problem is the the charge station at Parkwood. To test this, I suggest you take the car to Toombul Shoppingtown and charge using the provided cable. If this works, remove the cable and use yours. I would then take the car to Hamilton Northshore where you will have to use your own cable. There are also 2 Tritium fast chargers. If you then go to the other end of the carpark, you will find a Tesla 3 phase HPWC. It is surprisingly hard to find as it only has a small EV only parking sign. Look for a small green fake grass covered wall between 2 parking spaces

Tried Toombul on Thursday afternoon and whilst the two J1772 chargers seemed to be alive (green lights showing), I couldn't activate them. Seems the Chargepoint card wasn't acceptable although its hard to tell without a screen that gives a clue about what is amiss. The mobile number provided for issues has been disconnected but centre management advised they would check it out. Going back Friday morning to try again.

The Setec will be ideal for your longer trips but I believe that for destination charging, plugging directly in to the provided charge stations will reduce undesirable attention.

I haven't experienced any undesirable attention as yet, apart from the snooty look from a Tesla driver at the Hyperdome. I really don't have much option but a Setec given that I'm pushing the limits for a first generation EV until I can get a 40kw EV200.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 I just had another look at my J1772 socket and it does seem to have the two 'missing' pins although they are very small and deeply recessed compared with other pins.
You would not have been able to use the J1772 charge stations or your portable EVSE if they weren't there.
praxidice wrote: Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 08:13 I can only guess that these pins do not contact the corresponding connectors in Gelco adaptors. Maybe you used a different breed of cable / adaptor although the one shown in the photo looks similar to the one I had.
I suspect the pins, adaptors and cables are all OK.

The suggestion regarding 'missing' pins came from Bob at Gelco. At the time I accepted it without question as I understand he is regarded as some kind of guru.

Have you ordered your Setec? The owner of the Minicab I used is interested in getting 1 or 2 of them. There may be some savings in importing multiple units. He also is authorised (whatever that means) to import electrical goods and is qualified to work on them.
I've already ordered and paid for the Setec however I'm certain my contact at Setec will be only too happy to put another one or two into the system. I don't have any import licence but that has never created a problem with importing stuff from China. Only recently I bought $AU6000 worth of solar batteries with no issues other than supplying customs with a fistful of paperwork. Note that my Setec will have both single and three phase input cables installed at the factory, consequently there won't be any need for potentially warranty affecting modifications. I still need to discover a lot more about adaptors and what 3 phase plug is best. I was planning to use a 20 amp plug and make a 20 - 32 amp adaptor although I can't recall seeing any three phase outlet that wasn't 32 amp.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

g4qber wrote: Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 05:58 I have issues with charging imiev at the Chargepoint Australia (CA) garden city shopping centre in Perth. Imiev charges fine at other CA sites.

The imiev charge LED flashes then goes out.
If I put 90 degree stress on the cable it works. So it seems that the pilot pins are not connecting.

Garden City Shopping Centre
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/57570

This is probably the most used j1772 location.

Have reported it to Chargepoint Australia, but nothing has been done.
My diagnosis is that the j1772 connector is worn and needs replacing.
To date I've had no problems with any Chargepoint site. The SuziAuto one is not a current Chargepoint product, looks fairly aged and presumably has had a lot of use in its day, and I suspect the apparently current model one at Von Bibra Nissan has also seen a lot of use, but both sites work absolutely fine. That said, they may well have had new plugs fitted at some point. Had to check your comment re 'Garden City' as we have one of those in Brisbane but as far as I'm aware there is no charging point there. I did have the charge LED flashing then going out problem with Gelco cables at Bayview Harbour (3 phase Tesla charger with Tesla 2 switch to J1772 adaptor), at Toll Molendinar (single phase Tesla charger and Tesla 2 switch to Ji772 adaptor) and Griffith University Parkwood (with both the Tesla adaptor and a type 2 to J1772 cable). At the time I phoned Bob at Gelco and he advised that he believed it was due to two missing pins and neither the 2 switch Tesla to J1772 nor the type 2 to J1772 cable would work unless I addressed the problem by replacing the J1772 socket with a $400 odd kit. Other than removing and replacing the plug a few times I didn't try any other tricks as I didn't want to be responsible for breaking a relatively fragile plastic plug or socket. It goes without saying that wear and tear on my J1772 socket is not a factor as the vehicle hasn't even travelled 1000km as yet and the J1772 plugs on the Gelco cables were presumably brand new as well.

I'm not in a position to try the Tesla to J1772 adaptor or the type 2 to J1772 cable again as I returned both to Gelco, however I'll endeavour to get to the July meeting in Brisbane where hopefully someone will have a type 3 to J1772 cable to try on my car.