2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
lesmando
Groupie

Renault EVs

Post by lesmando »

Hurray, been waiting for the Zoe to come to Australia. 22KW charging built in :)
mikedufty

Renault EVs

Post by mikedufty »

Am I missing something? it appears to say only the Kangoo is coming to Australia.

Nice to see that since noone else is offering an EV cargo vehicle here.
Gabz

Renault EVs

Post by Gabz »

kangoo is technically here already I've sat in one and let the kids play in the back but I can't buy one yet.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
g4qber

Renault EVs

Post by g4qber »

2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Jasmin
Noobie

Renault EVs

Post by Jasmin »

I'm guessing they have put them out on the website to see just how much interest there is before they commit to anything. The Zoe could be a good fit for the local market. Chameleon charger makes the best of whatever juice you can get, and the range is pretty good - ~160km in real world conditions is achievable pretty reliably. Also, in Europe it's been very sensibly priced for full battery ownership.

I hope they bring the 43kw Rapid charge model over though, then it is a true chameleon charger :)
reecho

Renault EVs

Post by reecho »

They are slowly phasing out the 43Kw onboard charging.

Too many issues with lower charging currents......apparently...

evseaustralia
Noobie

Renault EVs

Post by evseaustralia »

I have been told Renault are closely evaluation the EV market in Australia again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce the Kangoo and/or Zoe to our market in the next few years. Hopefully with the push by Tesla, Hyundai, Nissan and BMW this will force their hand. I strongly believe the Renault EV's would be very well received...fingers crossed
http://www.evse.com.au
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Charging Cables and Accessories
rhills
Site Admin

Renault EVs

Post by rhills »

evseaustralia wrote: I have been told Renault are closely evaluation the EV market in Australia again...
...fingers crossed
Rather than crossing my fingers, I registered interest:
http://www.renault.com.au/vehicles/futu ... s/register
We have a diesel VW Golf that I'd love to replace with a pure EV if we can get something with "good enough" range. For me that the return distance from home to the airport + a "safe" margin, around 120km range + allowance for battery fade over a few years: we don't like to change cars as often as some. Now, if they had a fast charger at the Perth Airport, I could just about get there in battery mode with our Outlander PHEV.

So, Auto Manufacturers, whoever brings in a "nice", reasonably compact vehicle with 200+ km range for a "fair" price (ie allowing a "fair" margin for recouping R&D) gets my money Image . The Tesla 3 is looking the best bet at present.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
reecho

Renault EVs

Post by reecho »

evseaustralia wrote: I have been told Renault are closely evaluation the EV market in Australia again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce the Kangoo and/or Zoe to our market in the next few years. Hopefully with the push by Tesla, Hyundai, Nissan and BMW this will force their hand. I strongly believe the Renault EV's would be very well received...fingers crossed

The have type approval for the Zoe now. They can press the button at any time...
lachlanmac
Groupie

Re: Renault EVs

Post by lachlanmac »

Im excited about the Zoe finally being available too. So many cars are going to come, going to come, and then dont. We drive an Outlander PHEV every day. Its perfect for our longer camping trips and shorter local stuff but I drive about 100km round trip to work and the PHEV battery just wont and I cant get a plug in during the day at work. We bought a Prius C, which is pretty low consumption but I was planning to add more batteries and make some mods to drive pure electric. Maybe I dont have to now. Just hope the promise of the Zoe turns into actual cars arriving in the car yards for sale.
MDK
Groupie

Post by MDK »

Renault Australia has confirmed it will import both the pure-electric ZOE supermini and Kangoo ZE van to Australian businesses and governmental organisations.

The updated long-range ZOE, which was introduced back in late 2016 in Europe, will be available here in two grades priced either side of $45,000, and the French car-maker has also confirmed it will offer local fleet — and potentially private — buyers a pure-electric version of the Kangoo Maxi for around the same price

Both are set to land in the “next couple of months”, says Renault, and will also be available to private buyers if there’s demand.

Renault Kangoo Maxi ZE — $45,990
Renault Zoe Life — $42,470
Renault Zoe Intens — $45,870

https://www.motoring.com.au/renault-con ... ia-108858/
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Wonderful news!
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Great news, but... why limit sales to businesses only??? What's stopping them from selling to anyone who wants to stump up the readies? Do they ever limit sales of any of their fossil-fuelled models to any subset of the population?
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Imiev 2010 déjà vu.

2010 imiev also was only for governments and businesses.
Prolly cos they can write them off on tax.
Also for their fleets
And prolly expensive
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I don't think the 2010 imiev was available for sale to anyone, it was only available as a 3 year lease.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Renault Zoe and Kangoo ZE are available to purchase in Perth now - Melville Renault are the only dealership set up to sell them.

Given what we now know about how Mitsubishi deals with it's problem cars, and how disinterested Nissan Australia is with the current 2012 Leafs, I'd say you should pressure Renault to be crystal clear on how they intend to assist you when things go wrong.

I took the Zoe for a quick drive tonight - very nice little car. Very comfortable, plenty of zip even with four (not so small) blokes on board. If they can get the price down to $40k drive away they will do very well.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Renault Australia - making the same mistakes that Nissan and Mitsubishi made with the Leaf and imiev which crippled the adoption of lower cost EVs in Australia.

Here's how they keep getting it wrong:
- Over-price the vehicles on first release ($50k for a micro car like the Zoe is a joke - the equivalent Clio is $25k) in the belief that fleets will pay through the nose (they won't)
- Make it really hard to buy the vehicles from a limited number of dealers (one in Perth is ridiculous)
- Leave the dealers in the dark about the vehicles - availability, pricing etc
- Let the dealers slag off the EV and push customers to ICE cars they don't want (partly caused by dealers being treated like mushrooms in regard to their EVs as well as lack of sales training)
- Waste money on advertising stunts that don't reach the target market and leave no money left for ongoing promotion (remember the stupid Leaf petrol bowser art that used all the advertising budget and wouldn't have convinced any serious buyer to get a Leaf)

Anything else on the list of what not to do when selling EVs in Australia?

Some AEVA members are already engaging with Hyundai to share the "learnings" in EV promotion, purchasing and ownership in Australia in the hope that the Ioniq can achieve the sales success seen by the only EV manufacturer in Australia who has done a good job so far - Tesla.

PS Chris - you're very kind on the Zoe performance - it's the slowest EV on the market by some way - 0-100kph in 13.5 seconds is pedestrian at best.
MDK
Groupie

Post by MDK »

dgh853 wrote: Tue, 08 May 2018, 06:14 PS Chris - you're very kind on the Zoe performance - it's the slowest EV on the market by some way - 0-100kph in 13.5 seconds is pedestrian at best.
I took the Zoe for a lap after Chris last night, and I was impressed with its zippiness too.

We were in suburbia - 60km/h and 70km/h zones - and the Zoe's top-end acceleration leaves much to be desired, but for a small city runabout it's great.

The "0-100 km/h" time doesn't tell the whole story, because the Zoe isn't meant to be an autobahn cruiser. It's built for city driving.

0-50 km/h (s): 4.1 seconds
0-80 km/h (s): 8.6 seconds
0-100 km/h (s): 13.2seconds

credit: World Auto Evolution

Sure, it's no Tesla, but it's a quarter the price. And it's much easier to park :mrgreen:
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I thought it was half the price of the cheapest Teslas, and should be comparable to the Model3 if it ever gets here.
MDK
Groupie

Post by MDK »

mikedufty wrote: Tue, 08 May 2018, 09:38 I thought it was half the price of the cheapest Teslas, and should be comparable to the Model3 if it ever gets here.
I meant compared with what I paid. :oops:

The Zoe is almost exactly a third the price of the cheapest Tesla (~$45k vs ~$133k in WA) and about 80% of what I expect the base Model 3 will be (~$55k)

The Model 3 will blow the Zoe (and everything else) out of the water, for sure. But it's still another 18-24 months away.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Boot space in the Zoe was impressive too - easily 300 litres there.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

If you're impressed with the Zoe, then you're going to be blown away by the Ioniq for $5K less. Better performance, space, DC fast charging (up to 67kW on a 100kW station) and efficiency.
Last edited by dgh853 on Wed, 09 May 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah not sure when we'll see an Ioniq over here. Kona by the end of the year maybe?

Either way, Electrikhana 2019 will be awesome ☺
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

The exciting thing about the Zoe is that you can actually buy one, if you have the desire, and the money. I suppose you could move to NZ if you want an Ioniq.