South East Electric Highway (NSW/Vic coast)

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

South East Electric Highway (NSW/Vic coast)

Post by Chuq »

A user on the Tesla Motors Club forum has noticed that in a recent Latrobe City Council meeting, it was mentioned that the Eurobodella Shire Council had contacted Latrobe (and presumably other local government authorities in the area) about a South-East Electric Highway, which goes from Melbourne to Sydney via the coastal route (Gippsland and NSW South Coast) including connecting Canberra via the Kings Highway.

The details can be found here:

http://www.latrobe.vic.gov.au/About_Us/ ... 18?minutes

The documentation is very basic but suggests two options:
* 18 stations, with an average gap of 62 km and maximum gap of 91 km
* 12 stations, with an average gap of 97 km and maximum gap of 113 km

There was a map included although it has 15 stations marked so I'm not quite sure what it is showing!

It appears the proposal is still in an "expressions of interest" phase so is far from a sure thing. It needs support from a lot of other local councils to go ahead.

I'm not sure if anyone has contacts or influence with any of the councils in this region but if so.. you know what to do :)
jonescg

Re: South East Electric Highway (NSW/Vic coast)

Post by jonescg »

Hopefully Pete @ev.2549 and @Mark Hemmingsen chime in as they are the best contacts for that stretch. Hopefully Victoria can get with the program and start installing sone DCFC goodness.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
EV Canberra Mark
Noobie

Post by EV Canberra Mark »

Hi All,
I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
I especially recommend charging stations with credit card facilities.
Feel free to email me on electricvehiclescanberra@gmail.com
Regards,
Mark
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

I am talking with Bega Valley Shire Council, & Snowy/Cooma Monaro Council, about supporting the ev highway, as per this initiative.
As well, I am pushing for *at least* putting in 32A 3phase/5 pin sockets (7kW ~50km/hr) between Cann River (where I *hope* the AEVA socket is being installed at the Bakery), Cooma Showgrounds, and the ACT. They are daunted by the cost of DC EVSE, but I have the impression that the 32A option is a good toe-in-water (and would allow my i3 to get to Canberra, where I can use the Tritium 50kW DC ‘Rapid Charger’!)
There are already sockets at Bega and Cooma Showgrounds. I am suggesting further 7kW sockets at Bombala, Nimmitabel, Bemboka, Bredbo and Michelago.
pete gorton
BMW i3 BEV - no stinkin REx for me! 135 km of pure bliss
Millingandi, 2549
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

32A is 7kw per phase. Great for those who have the 20kw portable chademo chargers
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

To clarify to some folks, The Zoe (and Kangoo ZE, I think) can use 22kW charging, through a standard Type2 plug. As you say CHAdeMO is fine on 3phase, if you have an adapter (Tesla) or socket (iMiev, LEAF). Many other vehicles have only up to 7kW on-board charging, ie one phase at 32A, hence the original 32A socket distribution project.
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

I have images of the other two pages of the Eurobodalla Shire letter, of early Dec 2017, but don't know how to post them, here.
(I shall enquire whether Bega Valley actioned it’s receipt...)
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

ev.2549 wrote: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 16:12 I am talking with Bega Valley Shire Council, & Snowy/Cooma Monaro Council, about supporting the ev highway, as per this initiative.... Cooma Showgrounds...
Thanks for this work, Peter. The Cooma showground seems to be a few blocks from the cafes and park one might want to spend some time (and money, perhaps even more than a penny) at. The Tesla chargers are between the council building and Coles, across the road from the central park and close to many cafes. There is a substantial transformer at the entrance to the carpark. Is there any chance that the council could put the charger next to their office?
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

ev.2549 wrote: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 19:10 I have images of the other two pages of the Eurobodalla Shire letter, of early Dec 2017, but don't know how to post them, here.
(I shall enquire whether Bega Valley actioned it’s receipt...)
Are they the same as the ones in the link in the first post?
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Speaking of 3-phase, this is the current distribution of 3-phase sockets along that route (the orange markers are DC fast chargers and the green ones are 3-phase). I've disabled 10A/15A, Tesla HPWCs, etc. from the view:

Worth noting that TOCA committee approved expenditure for a few more 3-phase outlets at their last meeting, one of which was at Cann River. After Cann River is in, the biggest gap would be from Melbourne to Sale (219 km). Which is not what you would expect the biggest gap to be, there are so many biggish towns in the area!

It would not take much get some of the other gaps in this route populated with 3-phase outlets, it would only take a couple of Tesla owners from each of Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra to spend a weekend driving around and you'd find enough willing sites. Maybe less than a month to arrange installation.

If the councils are willing to be site hosts, that's great! It would be quick and easy to do, and every extra site helps. But it looks like this project is intended to be about fast chargers - e.g. sites suitable for EVs when they hit the mainstream. Mum, Dad and the kids aren't going to want to park their i-Pace in a showgrounds for a couple of hours and muck around with adaptors. We are, of course :)
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

Update:
The Cooma Showgrounds are OK to use, and I have put on PlugShare. Yes, it is a healthy walk from the shops, but it’s all I can find at the moment. There is a vague plan for an EVSE at Centennial park, in town, but Council contact Jane didn’t sound too positive about it happening.
I have contacted Cooma Coles manager. He was polite but not enthusiastic. Asked for a proposal from AEVA for consideration. I will follow up, in a while.
Re South Coast EV Highway.
Yes, Charles, the other two pages are from Michael Shorter’s letter of Dec 1st - I just thought it might be convenient for anyone interested, rather than reading through the 100+ pages of Council Minutes.
I called him. Most Councils have replied, and supported. He’s following up with a couple. The big problem is they have no funds, yet. Looking to business and commercial interests to fill in the gaps, if no gomint grants forthcoming.
BVSC has replied, in the affirmative, but I think that’s it. Following up with two interested councillors.
Speaking with Eden Monaro MP, Mike Kelly next Thursday. Local state Member (Minister for Roads) Andrew Constance, is up to his armpits in alligators, so probably keep powder dry there, for a while.
I spoke on ABC SE local radio yesterday which went well. It’s on their fb page.
NRMA project - beans may be spilled at the April AEVA meeting at Baulkham Hills.
All good.
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

Charles, “After Cann River is in, the biggest gap would be from Melbourne to Sale (219 km). Which is not what you would expect the biggest gap to be, there are so many biggish towns in the area!”
I have dropped a 3 ph socket set into Cann River, but haven’t visited to see if it’s installed.

I have proven that it is possible to use Tesla Destination Chargers with my T2>T1 adapter, so if you turn them on, on PlugShare, it looks even better. There are a couple between Cann River and Mlb.

My goal is to close the gaps north from Cann River: Bombala, Nimmitabel, Bredbo and Michelago.
Braidwood would be good, to get from Batemans Bay up to Canberra, via Bungendore....

I agree on the iPace challenge - but I’m looking after myself in the short term, filling in the gaps to 100km, in light of the dearth of DCFC. We all need to push for more capacity, in more places, more easily...
Cheers
P
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

Went to Bombala yesterday. Used the 5 pin 32A socket at the Showgrounds. It went fine. They didn't know how to accept payment, when I offered at the Council offices. They think that both Cooma and Jindabyne look like getting NRMA DCRC.
I put Bombala on PlugShare.
It looks like a cafe owner at Bemboka will also put in a 32A socket, and at Michelago (single phase only).
Cann River contacted and they expect to be install soon “after Easter”.
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Pete, do you have signs you can offer them for the charge point? I think Mark still had most of them.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

ev.2549 wrote: Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 12:05 ...NRMA project - beans may be spilled at the April AEVA meeting at Baulkham Hills...
An accurate summary of the meeting is provided here: https://www.drivezero.com.au/nrma-ev-fa ... g-network/
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

Yes, they were - good report. And I think I found out that Cooma and Jindabyne are on the list, as well as Bega and Moruya. Now I need to buy a CCS2>CCS1 adapter...
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

jonescg wrote: Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 07:31 Pete, do you have signs you can offer them for the charge point? I think Mark still had most of them.
I only have one metal sign. I have made some laminated temporary ones meantime. I will ask MH whether he has more...
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I moved a discussion about Type 2 to type 1 adapter cables here.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.