Weber and Coulomb's MX-5

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
jonescg

Re: Weber and Coulomb's MX-5

Post by jonescg » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 16:25

weber wrote:
Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 03:54
And with the auxiliary battery fixed, it became worthwhile to fix the power steering, again with help from Bladecar.
For some reason I found myself looking at radio controlled hobby motors and found some in-runner motors that spin up to 5000 rpm and are good for about 2 kW. I thought to myself maybe these could be good for driving power steering pumps in conversions where replacing the power steering system with a complete electric system would be too difficult.

Do you think it's possible to use one of these motors:
RC_Motor_inrunner.jpg
RC_Motor_inrunner.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 287 times
And one of these speed controllers:
RC_Motor_ESC.jpg
RC_Motor_ESC.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 287 times
And control the speed of the motor (and therefore power consumption) by making it inversely proportional to the speed of the vehicle?

I have no idea how much power a power steering unit needs, but surely a 1 kW brushless motor is up to the task?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

weber
Site Admin

Re: Weber and Coulomb's MX-5

Post by weber » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 16:54

Not really sure Chris. I suspect it might be a bit too high speed and low torque. But mine is current limited to 30 A at 12 V (360 W) so maybe.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).