WTB: 90Ah (or 100Ah) Winston cells x 9

All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Bryce

WTB: 90Ah (or 100Ah) Winston cells x 9

Post by Bryce »

Hi everyone - am trying to fix a former Blade Getz that over discharged its battery pack recently and wiped out 9 cells in the process. Does anyone have any they would like to sell? The owner is not flush with cash and would struggle to afford the cost of 9 new ones. (Apart from the vagaries of trying to mix old and new cells in one pack!).

PM me via this forum or phone (03) 9596 3600.

Many thanks for looking
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
antiscab

Re: WTB: 90Ah (or 100Ah) Winston cells x 9

Post by antiscab »

Any idea on how much capacity the remaining cells have? I'm guessing you couldn't just get away with bypassing 9 cells and lowering the motorcontroller low voltage limit?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Good question - however it's a 96V system - dropping 15V would be a deal-breaker and pulling out another 10 or so would make it's range just that bit too low!

Cheers
Bryce
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I have a number of Winston & Thundersky (LYP & LFP chemistry) cells from a previous house battery bank. I also have some Sinopoly 100Ah cells the same size as the 90Ah Winston/Thundersky cells. What capacity/voltage drop at what CA rating are you looking for?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Terry - they're Thundersky LFP90Ah.
Max charge current is 3C, standard charge current is 0.3C.
Size: 217mm x 61mm x 145 mm. (Although exact size is not that important - can reconfigure the blocks to suit anything close to that).
Vmax 4.25V, Vmin 2.5V.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers
Bryce
leadwings
Groupie

Post by leadwings »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 10:30 I have a number of Winston & Thundersky (LYP & LFP chemistry) cells from a previous house battery bank. I also have some Sinopoly 100Ah cells the same size as the 90Ah Winston/Thundersky cells. What capacity/voltage drop at what CA rating are you looking for?

T1 Terry
Terry, I'm chasing some cells for a camper trailer (so 20A load max). How much are you looking for per cell?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Sorry, been away and then flat out since I got back. These cells are "experienced" :lol: so the internal resistance is higher than one would consider ideal for electric vehicle use but still might fit in well with an "experienced" battery pack.

Malcolm, with a 20 amp load would you be looking at maintaining 3.2v under load or down as far as 3v under load? Four of these in series would still maintain 12v under the 20 amp load, useless for an electric vehicle and any serious off grid application but still fine for a camping battery to run a fridge and lights.
As soon as I get enough time to scratch I'll do a check on the pile we have here, I do have 16 Sinopoly cells the same physical size as the Winston 90Ah that still maintain 3.2v under a 0.5C load (50 amps per 100Ah advertised capacity) that are roughly 3 yrs old and last tested at 85% capacity under a 0.5CA load. They are actually rated at a 0.2CA load for capacity measurement so they would most likely deliver the advertised 100Ah at a 20 amp load. I can't find a price for Sinopoly cells for sale in Australia but I'd be happy with $100 per 100Ah cell, the ones in a slightly more "experienced" condition I guess depend on just how experienced they are :lol: If they won't maintain 3v under a 20 amp load and deliver more than 50% of their advertised capacity I consider them to be paper weights or door stops

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
leadwings
Groupie

Post by leadwings »

Thanks Terry. Our "change to a different camper" plans have changed, so no longer need a new set of cells.

BTW the 20A was an estimated max load - normally would be much less than that so the 0.2C capacity was what I was after.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

No worries, seems I have bought another motorhome... by stealth as usual, the own (mate) has talked the wife into taking it on our next off grid solar job for the 2 weeks or more stay. He used the same method to sell us his last motorhome when he upgraded to this one, now he has bought a house boat and decided he just doesn't want it anymore. It has sat in our workshop front yard for over 12 mths and in that time the lithium start battery pack has been ratted for cells for his boat house battery, so now I'm testing cells to build a 9 cell start battery for this project (24v system). The reason for the 9 cells is get around the alternator over voltage charging problem, I don't like to take any cell over 3.6v so they maintain a decent cycle life and the alternator attempts to charge to 29.5v and that causes issues. With a 9 cell battery that equates to around 3.3v per cell and the cells will stay around that voltage without any voltage run-away issues...... well that is the plan anyway :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
leadwings
Groupie

Post by leadwings »

Terry, out of interest what meter do you use to monitor your battery SOC for your setups?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Malcolm, been flat chat with this house off grid/on grid install and haven't had a chance to get back on the 'puter.
We use the Victron 700BMV battery monitor as the Peukert factor and charge efficiency can be changed to suit the LYP cells as well as the fully charged sensing parameters to cause a 100% SOC reset automatically if it gets out of sync after long periods of never seeing a full recharge.
Unfortunately the adjustment range is only in 1% increments so the only close to accurate settings for an LYP battery without auto loss type cell balancers is 100% charge efficiency and the Peukert factor is 1 as long as the discharge rate remains below 1CA.... really only a factor if the discharge reaches 3CA and that doesn't happen in a house set up, rare to see 0.5CA in most.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon, 30 Oct 2017, 15:10 No worries, seems I have bought another motorhome... by stealth as usual, the own (mate) has talked the wife into taking it on our next off grid solar job for the 2 weeks or more stay. He used the same method to sell us his last motorhome when he upgraded to this one, now he has bought a house boat and decided he just doesn't want it anymore. It has sat in our workshop front yard for over 12 mths and in that time the lithium start battery pack has been ratted for cells for his boat house battery, so now I'm testing cells to build a 9 cell start battery for this project (24v system). The reason for the 9 cells is get around the alternator over voltage charging problem, I don't like to take any cell over 3.6v so they maintain a decent cycle life and the alternator attempts to charge to 29.5v and that causes issues. With a 9 cell battery that equates to around 3.3v per cell and the cells will stay around that voltage without any voltage run-away issues...... well that is the plan anyway :lol:

T1 Terry
Built the start battery from 9 "door stop" cells in series and it works a treat :lol: Seems I now have a use for the "stuffed" cells as well, they certainly are amazing in regards to the punishment they can take before they die completely.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn