Westfield new installations

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

Rumour has it, Westfield shopping centres have begun installation of EV charging only points in their shopping centres, from what i have been told, Bondi junction, Miranda, and Chatswood have added more to compliment the ones on the top level carpark under the solar farm, Yellow level apparently, near the Anderson st entrance. None of these i have seen with my own eyes, just through reddit in the Sydney page.

Miranda store.
Last edited by Ultralights on Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Visited the new Chatswood Westfield today. There are 2 Dual CT 4000 ChargePoint EVSE's with 4 dedicated EV charging bays. Now on PlugShare
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

Westfield Carindale appears to be almost ready.

Four bays in Blue Carpark on Level G ...

edit - photo taken today added
Last edited by wattsaname on Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I hope westfield installs charge points at the new carousel development
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

I tried my Chargepoint card at Carindale tonight and was rewarded with a very satisfying "clunk" as the hand piece was unlocked and the display indicated that it was ready to use. The area is still taped off and I suspect this is for the markings on the ground to dry.

With these four bays at Westfield Carindale on the east side, BMW in the Valley, four bays going in on the north side at Westfield Chermside and Suzi Auto on the south side, Brisbane is really starting to develop a functional charging network. The obvious location for charging on the west side would be Indooroopilly.

It is to be hoped that Westfield see the Carindale and Chermside installations as a success. Obviously Westfield will be monitoring usage and I believe it is important that as many J1772 compatible cars as possible should make use of these facilities as often as possible. The more they are used, the more likely it is that the charging network will expand. So even if you don't actually need a charge but are passing, I suggest that EV drivers should stop and plug in for a while. Unused charging bays send out a very negative message to the provider and the general public.
Last edited by Jeff Owen on Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

That's a very good point.

It doesn't take a lot of infrastructure if it's well placed before all of SEQ is a potential destination for even EV's with modest range.

I was looking at the plug share web page the other day and noticed the North lakes shopping center was listed. Though clicking on it.They had just taken a few pics showing there are several unsecured 10A outlets in the car park.

I'm still a little iffy on this practice (unless consent was given) Though if Northlakes is a Westfield? then perhaps they will end up with some dedicated EV charges down the track anyhow.

Would be great if Ikea, Cosco perhaps even Bunnings could spent some pocket change on a charger or two.

I would like to see more DC fast chargers (I did see there is a new one on the map out the front of a hotel on the sunshine coast) It would only take two of three more evenly spread around SEQ to open up the practical side of public charging on the go.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 07 Mar 2017, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Let's send McDonald's, Bunnings, Costco, Woolworths and Coles a strong message that EV infrastructure is needed and good for their business. Can I encourage everyone to spend a few minutes writing a personal email to these businesses asking them to install charging infrastructure and discussing the benefits to their business.
The more requests the better chance that they will sit up and pay attention.
reecho

Post by reecho »

antiscab wrote: I hope westfield installs charge points at the new carousel development

I believe wishes can come true..... Image
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Mandurah Forum
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/102078

Mandurah has one but not fully setup
7 grace charges left.

Haven't tried ringing their 1300 number. But have sent emails via their app. But no reply from chargepoint Australia

http://www.communitynews.com.au/canning ... el-begins/

Westfield Will probably be smart enough to include ev spots in their redevelopments
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
EmpowerRepower
Groupie

Post by EmpowerRepower »

Ooohh, are these fast chargers or slow chargers? Not sure from the pic. Could really do with something on the north side of Bris.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

No just slow AC chargers
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

Both Carindale and Chermside are now showing on chargepoint map Image

https://www.chargepoint.net.au/charge_point
Last edited by wattsaname on Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,
I know nothing about external charging as I don't desire to do it except under exceptional circumstances. This means I know very little about it.
I have a 2012 Imiev which has a 3-pin plug.   Is this useful at the Carindale charging bays?   Does it cost to charge at one of these bays? Would you leave your car charging for an hour or two with no concern? I might charge a car to show that it is a necessity (for other people, as much as me, if I knew more about these charging stations (particularly the cost :))

This ChargePoint site is new to me.

I went there and chose a particular location. This is the message I got.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.chargepoint.com.au has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

I know it is Avast but is this a real problem or a very safe approach?
Last edited by whimpurinter on Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

Hi Bladecar,

Carindale uses the J1772 connector so presumably would be of no use to vehicles with other plug types. For those of us with J1772 connection it is currently free and, for my vehicle, 2 hours of charging whilst I was shopping would completely charge my battery and give me up to 30km of range (i.e. more range than I need to get home which sounds like a fair deal to both myself and the shopping complex which gets my custom in return for the free power).

I'm using a Mac and getting no warnings about the site but cannot advise as to its safety or otherwise. I personally have no concern about leaving my vehicle "plugged in" in a dedicated and well signed area (my vehicle would be locked of course).

To use the chargers it is necessary to register with chargepoint (at no cost) and they'll mail out a swipe card.

I attach a screen shot briefly showing what the chargepoint map looks like.

lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

You can register and order a card from chargepoint using their website https://chargepoint.net.au/register

If you choose NO to "Do you already have a ChargePoint card in hand that you want to activate?", then the form changes and you can choose YES to "We would like to send you two free ChargePoint cards. Should we send them to the address above?".

If you have unregistered cards, then you can add them to your account.
You can also use the iOS or Android applications after you register your details and create a login/password.
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

iMiEV has a J1772 and CHAdeMO ports. The chargepoint is a Level 2 station with J1772 cables. No adapters needed. Unlock the station with your card / phone app and plug in.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I knew there was a second charging plug on the other side but I wasn't certain of the type so I appreciate the reply. :)
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

Westfield Carindale in Brisbane is now operational.
Who will be the first to use it?
Last edited by Jeff Owen on Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Parramatta Westfield is also up and running. Enter from Campbell street, Level 3 Blue car park . Free to use. It does need improved signage though
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

Greg partridge wrote: Let's send McDonald's, Bunnings, Costco, Woolworths and Coles a strong message that EV infrastructure is needed and good for their business. Can I encourage everyone to spend a few minutes writing a personal email to these businesses asking them to install charging infrastructure and discussing the benefits to their business.
The more requests the better chance that they will sit up and pay attention.

I have added messages of thanks on their facebook pages also, as social media seams to be all the rage now, they usually respond well, the more thanks they get to more others might see and decide on going ahead with installations. not to mention educating those that follow them on facebook about EV charging.
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

I put Carindale on plugshare. Is nice and convenient place to park. Tho this is paid for by BMW, not Westfield. So thank BMW instead :)
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

Westfield Chermside in Brisbane is now operational.

From either north or south on Gympie Road, turn into Banfield Street and proceed straight ahead down the ramp into the carpark. Once under the building, turn right into the pink carpark, then right again. The charging bays are along the wall on the right.

The other two bays appear to be operational, but may be difficult to access at the moment.

Last edited by Jeff Owen on Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Richo

Post by Richo »

It looks like the request for an office for the operations guy was declined. Image
So now he occupies the most unused bays in the car park instead.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

I have never seen an electric mini skip before!
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Perhaps the rubbish bin is providing green power. Some kind of methane capture generator.