The full Hyundai Ioniq range headed down under

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Looking at the exterior and interior on a few videos assuming there is only one or two trim levels and the EV's typically get a similar trim level to the high spec oil burners. Whats the price of the top spec I30 oil burner?

Quick scan online shows starting a base model starts at $19k up to $32K for the top spec. So what premium will people be willing to pay over the top spec $32k I30.

As mentioned if a Nissan leaf is $40k in Au then perhaps some where in the middle between 32k - 40k.

That's if it even lands in AU. Considering over seas markets have been offered all kinds of EVs and newer models. Though in Au we are being sold old stock or being told particular models are no longer being stocked in Au. I think its unlikely there will be a huge rush for Hyundai to bring in there pure battery electric cars.

Though I could be wrong.
Johny

Post by Johny »

My guess is that the Ioniq will be around AU$60K. Bjorn makes a comment somewhere in his video that it's a third of the price of a low-end Tesla in Europe.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

No one will buy it for 60K in au its a hyundai and at the end of the day its just small car transport.

It needs to be priced simular to the same spec oil burner perhaps with some small premium that can be justified to the buyer with savings in mantanance.

A bit like how say (just made up exmple) The petrol models are say 25k then its 27k for the diesel and then 30k for the battery electric.

At 60k it would be lucky to sell a hand full to a few EV enthusiast and keen early adopters not wanting a 2012 leaf or the lower range of the BMW
evseaustralia
Noobie

Post by evseaustralia »

offgridQLD wrote: Looking at the exterior and interior on a few videos assuming there is only one or two trim levels and the EV's typically get a similar trim level to the high spec oil burners. Whats the price of the top spec I30 oil burner?

Quick scan online shows starting a base model starts at $19k up to $32K for the top spec. So what premium will people be willing to pay over the top spec $32k I30.

As mentioned if a Nissan leaf is $40k in Au then perhaps some where in the middle between 32k - 40k.

That's if it even lands in AU. Considering over seas markets have been offered all kinds of EVs and newer models. Though in Au we are being sold old stock or being told particular models are no longer being stocked in Au. I think its unlikely there will be a huge rush for Hyundai to bring in there pure battery electric cars.

Though I could be wrong.

Hi Off the grid...it seems almost certain it will make it to our shores if the comments by Hyundai Australia are anything to go by.

“We think there are buyers for all three products,” says Scott Grant. Hyundai Australia’s chief operating officer believes hybrid tech is now mainstream, plug-in hybrid is for those who want to take a tentative step towards full electric, while the Ioniq electric is for early adopters.

“There’s three different segments, the way we see it.”

Grant believes Ioniq is an image-builder for Hyundai.

“The product, in all three executions, says something about our company globally, our technology, and our capability to be a part of the future of our industry. There’s a global necessity to play. And, in Australia, it’s good to be able to bring those technologies to people in different forms.”

Launching all three at once would make a major statement, Grant believes. While right-hand drive versions of the hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric will finally become available very late in 2017, a launch just weeks ahead of Christmas doesn’t make commercial sense, he adds.

The experienced executive is clearly frustrated by the absence of support for car makers bringing new energy-efficient and alternative-energy models to Australia.

“We need more government support and more government vision and leadership around the adoption of these kinds of technologies, because they are still emerging and relatively expensive, and you need infrastructure,” Grant says.

Tax breaks are just one of the measures Grant believes governments could use to encourage car buyers to make the switch.

What’s needed, he argues, are measures that will be persuasive from the point of view of car buyers. “Some incentive directly for the consumer to adopt these new and emerging technologies that are good for the country, good for the environment,” is the way Grant puts it.

“We can battle on our own, or the government can sort of show some leadership on it,” he continues. But Grant is doubts this will happen any time soon. “I haven’t seen any signs that it’s emerging.”

Grant’s criticism of the government echoes that of BMW Australia’s CEO Marc Werner who earlier this month called on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull “to finally action robust policy to support the introduction of low emission vehicles to the Australian market.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1702/ ... -australia
http://www.evse.com.au
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Charging Cables and Accessories
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

Prices in USD:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2017 ... q/preview/

"And the Electric model comes online in April 2017, but only in California for the foreseeable future. It will be offered in two trim levels: A base Electric trim for $29,500 and a better equipped Limited model for $32,500 before its optional $3,500 Ultimate package."

$36k USD for the top of the line which probably translates to $50k plus here...

The Tesla Model 3 base is $35k which I guess makes top of the line $41'ish USD.

Both Hyundai and Nissan with the new leaf would need to be under $45k AUD to compete against the Tesla I reckon, let alone similar petrol cars. offgridQLD I agree on what you're saying but perhaps even 10k more for the BEV is fair considering that you're at likely halving (or better) your fuel cost over up to 10 years.

These manufacturers are still only paying lip service to people who want change because in reality they are massive, they can take a hit to get some penetration and really make it compete with a fossil fuel car on price but they don't seem to want that.
evseaustralia
Noobie

Post by evseaustralia »

They would potentially be cannibalising a large chunk of revenue with regards to service, parts and repairs given the decreased need with EV's.

http://www.evse.com.au
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Charging Cables and Accessories
Richo

Post by Richo »

g4qber wrote:As JC says don't buy "dodge, Chrysler, jeep, fiat, Alfa"

Yeah everyone has been saying that for years.
The fact that JC said it makes it no more interesting or real.
It's a bit of a moot point since, as far as I'm aware, you cant buy a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, or Alpha as an EV in Australia.

A Tesla is out of my price range for a car.
And the others, well, are boring.
The Hyundai could be a more promising prospect.
bladecar wrote: ok, johnescg thinks he's dinky di.
Anyone else? :)

Well he is a nice guy but sometimes the 2c he adds here isn't enough.
The link here and there with lack of content doesn't inspire a great read.
bladecar wrote:I don't understand his comments

Well; you would if you met him.
g4qber just needs his your own opinion.
I'd perfer that than garbage from JC.
Just don't go like me and become over-opinionated Image

Are there any links to tech specs and pics rather than bias reviews?
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Johny

Post by Johny »

Richo wrote:Are there any links to tech specs and pics rather than bias reviews?
Yep. There's a word document with the link on this page.
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/models ... ifications
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

evseaustralia wrote: They would potentially be cannibalising a large chunk of revenue with regards to service, parts and repairs given the decreased need with EV's.

Yes somewhat, but that is also a bit of a myth in the real world with brand new cars, Leaf scheduled servicing is more expensive than Hyundai i30 over 3 years (if you pre pay the i30).

I guess the petrol makers don't yet make most of the parts in house too which means more up front cost/less profit on batteries, motor, controllers.

The lack of government incentives mentioned in the article about Hyundai also really sucks.
reecho

Post by reecho »

jonescg wrote: Ooooh a conspiracy theory! Image

Joseph drives the crap out of his EVs. That's what they're for.

The panel beater currently accessing his i3 would probably agree..... Image

Too soon???
reecho

Post by reecho »

Here's a pickle.

The BEV version can have either CCS2 or CHAdeMo...

So it's an each way bet what lands here.

The smart money will be on CCS2 though.

But if they land with 2 flaps on one side it's CHAdeMo baby...
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Lol not too soon.
I'm over the i3. Even though it saved my life.
I've done my share of beta testing the i3.
Time move onto the Ioniq and model 3.
But not leaf cos battery is not liquid cooled.

Of course tango should be here by next year.
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 28 Feb 2017, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Simon

Post by Simon »

My guess on the Ioniq pricing is the Hybrid for $34,000 the PHEV for close to $40,000 and the EV for around $50,000.
Would love to be wrong though and have the EV here for $40,000.   Image
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think the base model Tesla 3 will be $50k, on average. In WA it's probably going to be about $52k with stamp duty and rego etc. So a similar range Hyundai will probably be a smidge cheaper - $48k-$50k.

BEVs will run for longer with fewer expensive service bills, so I think we'll see them command a premium for a while to come. That premium, combined with reduced demand for cars in general should see the prices settle down, but probably still higher than equivalent ICE cars.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
decryption
Noobie

Re: The full Hyundai Ioniq range headed down under

Post by decryption »

motoring.com.au reckons Hyundai is shopping the Ioniq EV around to fleets and will start selling "select versions" (could just be the hybrids) before the end of the year. Full line up on sale at showrooms mid-2018. $43,000+onroads for the EV apparently.

https://www.motoring.com.au/hyundai-ion ... ar-109989/
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

The Hyundai guy I talked to at the ACT's EV policy launch at few days ago said (with a bunch of caveats) 'about $43,000'. The Ionique was a nice looking car. Very similar overall size and shape to the Holden Volt. I could live with one.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 16:36 The Hyundai guy I talked to at the ACT's EV policy launch at few days ago said (with a bunch of caveats) 'about $43,000'.
I did some guess work on pricing here. Based on the NZ <-> AU pricing of similar ICE models. So yes the $43k number is plausible for the plugin hybrid.. but not the BEV.

I'm wondering how much bigger NZ's car market is that they have the Ioniq already and we don't? :roll:
Last edited by memecode on Sat, 23 Jun 2018, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

memecode wrote: Fri, 11 May 2018, 14:29 I'm wondering how much bigger NZ's car market is that they have the Ioniq already and we don't? :roll:
Perhaps it's the cost of complying with Australian Design Rules? They can probably just ship UK or Japanese models to NZ.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

The blurb I've read says that the EV version of the Ionique only has a 28kw battery. That is very disappointing given that the Zoe, 40kw Leaf, 60kw Leaf and who knows what battery capacity Tesla 3 are due in Australia within the next year or so.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yes but the Ioniq is also very efficient, so that 28 kWh will get you almost 200 km. Still a bit short, but definitely better range than a 2012 Leaf.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

indeed the ioniq managed to make it to the end of the race

Ampera-e vs Ioniq part 2 - Bjørn Nyland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

jonescg wrote: Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 09:49 Yes but the Ioniq is also very efficient, so that 28 kWh will get you almost 200 km. Still a bit short, but definitely better range than a 2012 Leaf.
The Ioniq is definitely in my watch list. I rarely go out of the city, so smaller battery (hence cheaper) makes sense. Fast charger network is far more important for me compared to long range.

I doubt the Ioniq will be under 40k AUD though. I'm hoping teleportation will be ubiquitous and cheap by the time my Leaf battery getting severely degraded, which is roughly under 3 years... :lol:
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

https://www.drivezero.com.au/cars/hyund ... unch-info/

Some solid Ioniq info. 44990 base list price. about 48k drive away
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

Hippie403 wrote: Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 20:22 https://www.drivezero.com.au/cars/hyund ... unch-info/

Some solid Ioniq info. 44990 base list price. about 48k drive away
Drive away price in the ACT will be less than elsewhere because EVs are exempt for stamp duty.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

More pricing info:
https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-eco ... 50iky.html

They are running out of 2018 runway for a launch...