Ban of ICE vehicles in Germany

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Bennothemad
Noobie

Post by Bennothemad »

First up - sorry for the clickbait subject line... You'll find out why as you read.

The Bundesrat has recently announced the signing of a non-binding agreement to ban the sale of ICE vehicles by 2030. This doesn't include agriculture or industry use vehicles, so you could still expect to see diesel trucks and light commercials. It's also non-binding, so really it means very little. Because the Bundesrat doesn't actually have the power to ban things, it's more of an open letter to the German senate equivalent. However, the motivator for this effort is the Volkswagen diesel scandal, which has now expanded to pretty much every diesel engine in production.

Source

I also read somewhere that the UN Climate Change council has recommended the ban of ICE vehicles by 2035 in an effort to stop or reverse a projected 2 degree increase in average global temperature. I can't find the source for this however, so treat it as more of a rumour at this point.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yes diesel engines are verymuch on the nose (in so many ways). I have only ever been to Barcelona and up the hill in Terassa but the air was acrid with mainly diesel fumes. I hope the push gains some traction, and as the auto industries are forced by consumers to clean up their act, an actual ban might be politically achievable.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Bennothemad
Noobie

Post by Bennothemad »

After I've put a bit more thought into this, I think we're going to see a lot more electric vehicle development by Germany's big auto over the next 15 years. While the agreement is non-binding, it is a demonstration of political and civic will. So really, the market research for electric vehicles has already been done in Germany, and is overwhelmingly for it - not only would it be environmentally irresponsible for a car company to ignore, it would also be bad business by not entering this new market.
Bennothemad
Noobie

Post by Bennothemad »

Some more sources:

Ban ICE by 2035 to stop gloabl warming by Climate Action Tracker

EU report on low-emission mobility

[url=http://www.sciencealert.com/the-netherlands-is-making-moves-to-ban-all-non-electric-vehicles-by-2025]The Netherlands moving to ban ICE vehicles by 2025[/url]