Considering a Volt - What Do I Need To Know?

Volt Interest Group
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

As the title says.
What do I need to know about potentially buying a 2nd hand 2012 volt with 30,000km?
Good or bad idea?
What is the maintenance like on that petrol backup motor?
Does it still work as an EV if the backup motor is dead and needs repair?
Other than the backup motor, what other systems need maintenance? Seems to have electric power steering and electrically assisted brakes?
Seems to support standard 10A mains outlets?
Any known battery depletion issues at 3 years old?

Thanks
Dave.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I can't imagine any car built three years ago would have any serious issues. As for the ICE motor failing it would be an interesting proposition to see what it goes like without all that dead weight. What price?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: I can't imagine any car built three years ago would have any serious issues. As for the ICE motor failing it would be an interesting proposition to see what it goes like without all that dead weight. What price?

$35K

From what I'm reading the petrol motor kicks in at high speed? is that right?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Sounds about right, possibly a bit high. I'd offer $30k. 30,000 km is in the used camp. Anything less than 5000 km is "practically new" in my mind. Then again, my '88 Honda CRX is the newest car I've ever owned Image

I believe the ICE kicks in at more than 80 km/h, but only when the battery is drained to a certain point. On a full charge I think it's all electric at full speed. g4qber might be able to help?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Chris is correct
tis full electric up to 169kmh when fully charged.
note that 10.5kWh is usable
hence the $2.50 to charge ad

and the weird thing is that even in HOLD mode at race speeds (>110kmh) at Barbs, battery is depleted slowly.
This also happens on the BMW i3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgd69GQh2Cc

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/03/watch ... -the-volt/
says "this video is private"

you can have my volt for $30k

to answer your Qs:
What is the maintenance like on that petrol backup motor? $187 every 9 months. it is a 1.4L otto cycle engine from the Holden Cruze.
Does it still work as an EV if the backup motor is dead and needs repair? power is reduced when there is no petrol. down from 114kW to 70kW.
Other than the backup motor, what other systems need maintenance? Seems to have electric power steering and electrically assisted brakes? Brakes are mushy or have extra give at the end of their travel. This is normal allegedly.
Seems to support standard 10A mains outlets? 10A EVSE comes with 10A plug, unlike Nissan n Mitsu 10A EVSE on 15 amp plugs. I bought the 15A Clipper creek EVSE, but it trips my volt. Currently use e-station's 32amp wallbox to charge volt at 14.995amps. Clipper Creek make the 10A EVSE for GM/Holden.
Any known battery depletion issues at 3 years old? don't know. I seem to get the same range as orig. 60km range - Freeway driving 100kmh.

have a read of this:
viewtopic.php?title=volt-review-observa ... 56&start=2
love the "engine not available. Add Fuel" message, this should be come up constantly on a full EV. LOL.
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 21 Feb 2015, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

The Volt is an awesome hybrid (I prefer it over a prius).

The petrol engine is configured as a generator (Full throttle using premium petrol) and it has the ability to switch between parallel and serial hybrid modes. The engine moves between specified rpm bands depending on the clutch configuration and demand, so maintenance and engine life is not the same as a normal petrol car (should last much longer).

I think service intervals are every 15,000km / 9 months and are about $200 a time. Look out for the charger tripping RCD's (earthing error? g4qber on the ozleaf.proboards.com had issues).

Check the back seats are ok for your family, they are tight (foot and head) and might not be suitable for child restraints (or trying to lift them out).

Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5ZwzNwTc4

Deep dive 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an-VyIau-FM

Deep Dive 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343-NQKOvLg
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

lesmando wrote: Check the back seats are ok for your family, they are tight (foot and head) and might not be suitable for child restraints (or trying to lift them out).

Thanks, yes, that could be a deal breaker.
We need child seat restraints and reasonable access.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

lesmando wrote: The Volt is an awesome hybrid (I prefer it over a prius).

Can you even get the plug-in Prius in Australia?
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

g4qber wrote: you can have my volt for $30k
Details?
Why would you want to sell it?

Thanks for the answers.
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

I have never seen an Official PlugIn Prius in Australia (seen retrofitted ones).
I didn't enjoy driving a normal Prius, so I bought a LEAF instead. The Volt was too expensive for my finances at the time.
BWSS
Noobie

Post by BWSS »

I'm a volt owner in Adelaide and have had mine for about 9 months now, my only problem to date was it lost it's settings for auto door lock when you get in the car and drive off. Hamilton Holden here worked with GM and did a new software download, took about 90 minutes and all is good.

The first 4 services are $185.00 each as there is really sod all to do, the on board generator is about as simple as it gets to service and maintain, it's a dumb old 1.4L petrol engine. It's designed to charge the main battery when it runs out and seamlessly runs when needed, you can also override it as you choose. ALL the electrics, battery, charging system, even the cord etc. are warranted for 8 years.

The Volt is so smart the generator will decide to run for about 5-10 minutes to keep everything in running order, even smarter it has a pressured petrol tank so that petrol will last in the tank for about 12 months, but if you don't deplete the tank it will run the generator yearly to deplete it anyway.

It is such a smart car and so advanced it has held my interest longer than any other car I have ever owned and I would never even consider changing it.

So, maintenance is probably less than a normal motor, 2012 as you desire means you still have heaps of warranty, the EV will work even if the generator needs repair, as for other maintenance, it's got electric just about everything so it either works or does not, it plugs into any 10amp power point anywhere and you get to choose from slow or fast charge or do a charge to end at a pre-determined time.

When I first got my car it would show about 65-70K to go till it needed a charge, but depending on weather, hot or cold etc. I have had just over 90K on many occasions.

I can drive my car for perhaps 700K without a care in the world and then top up with petrol like any other car.

Best for last, what car can you get out of, not touching any button or fob or anything and will self lock and alarm and beep to say all safe, mine can, so peach of mind it's not funny. I could bore you to tears on the goodies this car has\ but I won't.

And for heavens sake please don't read all this and then start and compare other cars, the poster asked for an opinion on the worth of a Volt, this was my opinion.

Rob
Last edited by BWSS on Thu, 05 Mar 2015, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Sounds about right, possibly a bit high. I'd offer $30k. 30,000 km is in the used camp.

It's this one here:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 297/?Cr=14
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Details?
White volt with rubber mat, compliments of Holden who have reduced their volt dealers from 7 to 2 in WA.
ie. Shacks and Melville Holden.
30k kms
needs new tyres, have taken it around Barbagallo track and RAC DTEC track.

Why would you want to sell it?
summarizing from the posts I've already made in
viewforum.php?title=holden-chev-volt&f=50&start=2

a) Probable earth leakage hence causing
     i) tripping RCDs which Holden won't fix
    ii) freezing of touch screen on AC mode, can't select recirculate
    iii) indicator stuck once at Wundowie
b) scraping flexible front air dam
c) blurry reversing cam, seems to be an upgrade to high def cam in the US for this.
   1) more blurry in the rain.
d) too much chrome, wear sun glasses at noon
e) knurled knobs on indicators, wears out the skin on my fingers
f) mushy brakes, brakes that have more distance to go after pressing on them
g) pressure to brakes is lost on power down, make sure to activate electric park brake before powering down.
h) lag in acceleration, due to changing of gears in the planetary gear system from energy efficient cog to power cog
i) whine in hold mode
j) propulsion reduced mode, tho this also occurs without information text on the i3; not suitable for racing, best to get audi a3 e-tron 225kmh top speed and more petrol than electric car.
k) cruise control sometimes doesn't lock onto certain values
eg. trying to get to 65 from 64, it jumps to 66
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 22 Feb 2015, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

To the OP ,

I have owned a Volt since June 2013. Had no issues.   I had a better back up camera supplied by Holden at no cost.

Never had any RCD issues with my Volt. It charges just fine.

Current mileage approaching 30000 kms. No reason to sell, very happy with the car. Would buy another Volt no problems. Furthest all eletric mode gave me 112 kms, regularly get 80 or more, and two days ago 100.5 kms.   

I have been driving between Qld and SA a few times over the last 6 months , and only charge overnight for convenience sake. Lowest all ev range in peak winter was in the snowy mountains, and was about 40 kms with the heating on.

The ability to drive all electric for days or weeks on end, then still be able to drive using the on board generator and drive say Sydney to Brisbane is one of the big plusses for the Volt. Even if Toyota plug in was available in Australia, with its limited all -electic range , I would opt for the Volt.

Try the one in Sydney, take it for a drive, and see if you like it.

To BWSS.

Should have called in to see you.. just spent 6 weeks in Adelaide both in the City and Prospect areas.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by marty11 on Sun, 22 Feb 2015, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

marty11 any suggestions how to get
a) the RCD
b) camera
issues fixed?
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 22 Feb 2015, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
BWSS
Noobie

Post by BWSS »

Mi Marty, there is always a tomorrow to come visit!

I am amazed you Electric mileage is so high, you must be laughing all the way to the bank, I thought I read somewhere they were programmed to only go to 90K on electric, puts paid to that.

To the guy looking for a Volt, Hsmilton Holden in SA did have a black 2012/2013 5000K, I think they on sold it to another dealer, Metro Holden, it would pay to track it down to see if available, could be a bargain with heaps lower mileage than what your thinking.
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Hi again BWSS,

heres a link to more "mileage"   like 81 miles ,

Chevy Volt does 81 miles on one charge

But!   he was going real slow.

So, when I have done anything like 80 or 90 kms, it has involved some extensive downhill runs. (Just under 90 kms today (88.3 ev km's), Goulburn to Central Coast, with 8kms ev left on the dash, so theoretically 96 km's ev would have been possible) Today I was sitting on 116 kms per hour mainly freeway driving, which equates to 110 kmph after the speed is "adjusted"   ( This is measured with my Garmin SatNav)

Each time I have cracked a lot of kilometres, there has been a thousand or three feet drop in elevation.

ps. These are not normal driving figures though, they involve optimal conditions for lots of kms per charge.    Image

ps2.   His kilometres , whilst impressive, at around 131.6 kilometres in ev mode, was achieved in a 2012 Volt , which only used 9.8 kwhours
so if you drive a 2013 which lets you use 10.8 kwhours of battery, then perhaps another 10 kms or 140 kms ev or more is possible? Image
Last edited by marty11 on Tue, 24 Feb 2015, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

While its nice to use it to your advantage when you can . Rolling down a hill - EV range is a bit Misleading.

Speed is the biggest range killer. That said there is a point where to slow becomes less efficient.

Kurt
MrD
Groupie

Post by MrD »

The Dubbo City Council Volt has been reduced to k$33 for quick sale on Car Sales......
MrD-85-TSLA
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... D-3225881/

the black volt Rego "AC Volt" sold or taken offline.
it was my competition.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 297/?Cr=14

"fun to drive" this needs to be put out to the punters out there.
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
BWSS
Noobie

Post by BWSS »

Capped Price Service

Want another reason to buy the Volt...........look at http://www.holden.com.au/ownership-and- ... -servicing

Yes it is a quote only for 30 days in advance, and yes it will rise with inflation, but as of the 1/3/2015 Holden introduce this for ALL their vehicles and you can enter your model year, model and next service and that service will be no more that what is advertised at their site.

I did a looksee on my car and the dearest I could see up to 225.000K was $613.00 for the 150,000K service, the next one at 165,000K, I have never owned a car that went over 50,000K but who knows with a Volt, was only $161.00, damn cheap.

This is a step in the right direction.
Last edited by BWSS on Fri, 06 Mar 2015, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.