Stealth Electric Bikes

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
Kieran
Groupie

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Kieran »

My dream bike:

http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/

Has anyone ridden/owned one?
reecho

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by reecho »

at 10K they better be good...... Image
Adverse Effects

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Adverse Effects »

how is it a "Stealth Electric Bike"
the chain dosnt go from the wheel to the cranks
the frame looks like it is 100Kg of scrap iron welded together and painted
the back wheel has a hub that puts a electric wheelchair wheel to shame for size

and finally ITS $10K gezzzz go buy a car instead or get a custom bike built just the way you want it for $5K
Kieran
Groupie

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Kieran »

Where did you see the $10k price? I've looked at that website a few times but haven't seen prices. Ta.
Gabz

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Gabz »

prices local dealer

haven't ridden them have seen them up close. seen them go around the track.

they are not a electric motorbike. they are not an electric push bike but somewhere in between. i do believe they have a switch to limit them to 250W for on road use.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
Adverse Effects

Stealth Electric Bikes

even at 250W they are not legal in QLD (dont know about other states)as there has to be a solid link from the pedals to the driven wheel (RE: chain / belt) for it to be in the "pushbike" category

i tried a few years ago(over 6 years) to make a recumbent trike that the peddles where driving a chain to a alternator to assist (along with a 120W panel) charge battery's and the battery's drive the back wheel i was told that it would not be allowed on any land that was not privately owned because the peddles where not directly connected to the drive wheel
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 14 Oct 2014, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Bluefang
Groupie

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Bluefang »

They are the ipod of the ebike world.   They are very good if you have never ridden a custom high powered ebike, and they are still good even if you have.

The frame is well designed for the purpose, the gear box is a waste of money and weight(the pedals are connected to the rear wheel), the hub motor is under utilized when compared to a full modified hub motor for a custom build and is no longer the most powerful hub around. The controller is weak and the batteries are not much better.

Compared to the avg chinese ebike its like a Ferrari tho. Yes i have ridden one, i would never buy one as its easy for me to build a better bike, probably not as pretty tho. If you want simplicity and a great ebike and have the spare money and want a off the shelf bike its the best option in that case.
www.facebook.com/ausemoto
Building Electric vehicles to be enjoyed and give people a EV grin.
mikedufty

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by mikedufty »

Are you sure it is not linked, there are some downhill bikes that use a gearbox setup for the drive link that looks similar to that (the ones that actually have pedals). The model with no pedals at all I would think qualifies as an electric motorbike.
Last edited by mikedufty on Tue, 14 Oct 2014, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Bluefang
Groupie

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by Bluefang »

They are definitely linked. The gear box was designed to give better gearing abilities then a standard derailleur along with been more reliable. It also has the main swing arm mounted to it i think which then allows the tidy chain line that can barely be seen.

Was too heavy for normal downhill mountain biking that it was designed for but aside from the cost its pretty good for overpowered ebikes.
www.facebook.com/ausemoto
Building Electric vehicles to be enjoyed and give people a EV grin.
Adverse Effects

Stealth Electric Bikes

the words i was told was "direct link" that bike has them going from
pedals <-> some sort of gearbox <-> chain <-> wheel
not direct
the same as
pedals <-> chain <-> generator <-> hub motor/wheel
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 14 Oct 2014, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
mikedufty

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by mikedufty »

I can't see any reason why toothed gears would be considered any less direct than cogs and chains.
Adverse Effects

Stealth Electric Bikes

ok so why shouldn't a wire be considered a direct connection

i dont make the rules i just get kicked by them all the time lol
woody

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by woody »

I have ridden one (owned by a Sydney AEVA guy) - it is direct, as in when the bike goes backwards the pedals move backwards by themselves - same as any road / mountain / fixie bike / cargo bike / unicycle / penny farthing. There is a freewheel like a normal bike, so you don't have to pedal all the time like a fixie.

I would say it drops fairly in the chasm between motorbike and ebike/pedelec as it is not road registerable and it has more than 200W (250W with a pedal sensor).

I see ebikes as "gateway bikes" once you have commuted for a few weeks you realise you are fit enough to not need the motor.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
offgridQLD

Stealth Electric Bikes

Post by offgridQLD »

No one needs a motor. The same could be said for a car (just get out and walk).

I have both conventional bikes, trikes and powered versions. I agree if the bike is going to be within the 250w limits then you my as well not bother. Just get your fitness level up and ride a nice quality bike.

Though if your riding a Ebike's & trikes that don't have to comply with the road rules then the experience is totally different. A good 5 or 6kw + you can just point the bike where you want hit the throttle and your there. Makes riding fire trails and dirt tracks a totally different experience than the same trails on your conventional bike.

In a high powered ebike or trike you worry less about if you can make it up that steep obstetrical and more about how much air your going to get as you launch over it Image

I enjoy both forms though there just different experience.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 23 Apr 2015, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.