2011 AEVA EV Conference & Festival

For Queensland Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
mcudogs
Groupie

Post by mcudogs »

The dates have been set for the Festival and Conference

Conference - Friday 28th October 2011 - venue is to be finalised
AGM - Friday 28th October 2011 - venue is to be finalised
EV Festival - Saturday 29th OCtober 3011 - King George Square

The web site is still being developed and will be the primary notice board for the Festival and Conference
EV Festival Web site

Please post any suggestions or requests here.
suziauto
Groupie

Post by suziauto »

Its probably posted elsewhere as well but we are still seeking members cars for the saturday car show at King George Square.

Some 5-6 have nominated their cars but we really need more cars, bikes , or other EV vehicles. We have a good area to fill..

Interstate members are VERY welcome to display cars as well and some local members are willing to accomidate interstaters if this helps.

members can contact myself or simone via email suziauto@live.com.au or after hours 07 32080372.

Those who have the exhibitor forms and not yet sent them in please do so asap..

Cheers Graeme
Simone
Groupie

Post by Simone »

or you can contact myself at nopetrol.car@gmail.com
Treasurer of the Brisbane AEVA. Meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Albion Peace Centre!
Simone
Groupie

Post by Simone »

Ok guys, it's getting closer and closer, time to make committments! Contact me by email to get yourself a form to fill in. Do it sooner rather than later!! So you can get the best spots!
Treasurer of the Brisbane AEVA. Meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Albion Peace Centre!
Simone
Groupie

Post by Simone »

Hi everyone,

Please don't forget that the conference is a great chance to hear a large variety of people speak about electric vehicles and their future in Australia. We also need to get numbers for the conference day, as places are limited!!!

So come on... email me and let me know.

Thanks.
Simone.
KDRYAN
Groupie

Post by KDRYAN »

Sorry but I am confused. It appears that there are two dates for the AEVA conference in Brisbane, the 26th October and 28 -29th October. Are there two different events?
mcudogs
Groupie

Post by mcudogs »

There are 2 events. The AEVA EV Convention and Festival is on 28-29th October in Brisbane and is aimed at EV enthusiasts and the public.
http://www.evfestival.com.au/

The EV Conference is on 26th October. It is run by RBL Management and is aimed at Government and Business.
http://www.evconference.com.au/
Simone
Groupie

Post by Simone »

What a successful convention and festival! Thank you to everyone who made the two days such a success!! All my volunteers, you are awesome!!! Thank you also to all of those who came from interstate and helped out on the days!! It was great to sit down and enjoy a more social chat for dinner on the Friday night! For those of you who are organising next year's festival and conference, feel free to contact me so I can give you my contacts :)
Simone.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Simone wrote: Thank you to everyone who made the two days such a success!!

And the greatest of these was undoubtedly you, Simone! Thanks for all the effort that went into organising the great bulk of the two days. [ Edit: Thanks also to the other main organisers: John, Graeme, and Don. ]

I'll post a few photos of the Festival here, with a maximum of 4 images per post, to keep the page load times sane. I suggest that others do the same.

A view along the right and left hand sides, as seen from the Adelaide Street entrance. At the extreme left, you can see the Albert Street Uniting Church, popular for weddings (I think I heard wedding bells at one point). The brown building in the background of the second photo is City Hall, which has been closed for extensive (and expensive - $215M) renovations. Wow, that red car on the right of the first photo is looking sharp! (Close-ups later.)

Starting arbitrarily with the Blade Electron, exhibited by Michael (RIUM+). See also Blade Electron Mk V photos. It drew a fair bit of attention, especially one time when someone leaned on a button which unexpectedly set off the burglar alarm. (This button is only accessible under the bonnet, so it should not be a major nuisance in normal use).
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Continuing clockwise from the Blade, we have Jeff Owen's Honda City, one of the longest running EVs on display.

Jeff's EV seems (to me!) to have way too much space under the bonnet. I see only one contactor box... such elegant simplicity.

Next is Peter Ervik's Mitsubishi, with 72 V pack, forklift motor and one (or two, I forget) 12 V modules in the front. Peter kept his high voltage (technically, extra low voltage) under wraps... literally with food wrap.

Peter's vehicle was being raffled (just $2 per ticket), and tickets are still available. It will be drawn in February, 2012.

Another red car, this time from Richard Gowda, with his EV Cool Capri.

Two Vectrix motorcycles at the AEVA stand. The faces of all three volunteers are obscured by posters or T-shirts. The T-shirts read: "Make your next car Electric EV Festival 2011 Brisbane". I believe that there are some T-shirts left over. The poster is advertising toy solar powered EVs for $5.

Edit: changed side-by side image format to vertical images. You'd need a giant screen to see the images side by side.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Don's (mcudog's) blue Mazda 121, with its very neatly wired battery box.

Next was a Blink charging point, with its J1772 outlet. It seems that several will be installed around Australia soon, including two in Brisbane.

The Hilux utility from Drive By Nature with an 11" Warp motor (from memory). Utes have the advantage of being able to hide their pack under the tray, as this one did. I do admire the expensive but long-lasting auxiliary battery.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Mitsubishi had a pair of iMiEVs on display. The first is the 2011 model; the second is a 2010 model. I was more impressed than when I saw the 2010 model last year; somehow the build seems more solid.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

The Ann Street end had no less than three nautical EVs. One of them was set up very attractively with a champagne meal (all plastic, but very well done). If only...

I'm not a religious person, but the Albert Street Uniting Church in the background was worth enlarging, in my opinion.

[ Edit: Speaking of religion, I think that the sign in the bottom left of the above was from a non-invited extreme religious group. I didn't have time to pay any attention to them. ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

NilCO2 were displaying a Prius with a plug-in conversion kit installed. This seems to be the Australian version of the Enginer kit, but with the GBS LiFeMnPO4 cells. They also sell the GBS cells separately; you can see a few through the Prius' driver's window.

The Deep Green Research / Tritium / Ultramotive Civic, still one of the most impressive EVs in my opinion. It features an Ultramotive Carbon motor, Tritium WaveSculptor 200 controller, and custom single ratio gearbox.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

This GM S10 conversion is from the EV Museum. The museum is world wide; this S10 was constructed from parts recovered from wrecks and the like, to overcome GM's insane requirement that museum S10s must not be driveable.

The solar panel at the right of the picture was part of a solar energy exhibition. I don't cover these or the e-bikes in this photo set.

Now that's a six-pack of transistors! Apparently, these were some of the first IGBTs in use (made around 1997).

This photo shows the controller card. These were early surface mount days; I could actually see all the components without a magnifier! The inverter drives a motor which is basically the same one as in the GM EV1. There was one of those on display too, but I didn't get a photo of it.

Now that's a charger! I didn't get time to ask about this one.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

This Walker Electric Truck dates back to about 1925. Note the solid tyres (he doesn't carry a spare :-), and the elaborate levers that control the brakes. It's fantastically restored.

Note the many thick wires to the motor. It's an armature and two fields. They put the half-packs (40 V each, 3 x 12 V nominal) and the fields in series, giving about 5 "gears", controlled by a drum device. Very clever for its day.

A wonderfully different EV to contrast with the others.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Two conversions-in-progress from Suzi Auto Services. The first is a fairly standard "Goombi Chinese Kit" conversion.

This second is a Suzuki Vitara with GBS cells. One of the things I noted was that with the terminals at opposite ends (which I think is a good idea overall), it means that there has to be many wires from one end of the pack to the others. Do you fuse all those wires? I think they should be, but many conversions don't do it. There was a ~ 16 way ribbon cable with intriguing notches here and there. I haven't had time to consider what this might be about.

This is a classic 1968 VW beetle conversion. These cars have a great simplicity to them, for example the windscreen is completely planar. I liked this conversion, complete with leather strap holding the back of the motor.

Most of the lithium cells are in a box behind the back seat.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Greg MacDonald's Kia. Apparently we weren't the only group to be ready for the festival just in time. In fact, Greg had his toolbox out and was modifying the car on the day! The second photo is after he had a chance to clean things up; we found some bolts, nuts, and washers loose under the bonnet in the morning.

The Zilla controller is the third for this car; the first two were Open Revolt (I hope I got the name right) DIY controllers that blew up. Greg drove the car to the festival, and was pleased with the performance (despite the current limit temporarily set at 400 A).
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Last, but in my highly biased opinion, definitely not least, Weber and Coulomb's MX-lightning. Note how, just for the Festival, we removed the batteries from the front battery pack, so you could see the motor below. Well, OK, it had only 3 of its 8 battery boxes filled, and only one of those with BMS boards. That totalled 73 cells, or about 240 V resting. That's almost twice the voltage of many of the conversions on display.

Some of the orange conduit was actually grey conduit with orange tape wrapped around it. The result is surprisingly good, with a nice glossy effect. As Weber has posted on the build thread, it moves under its own power, and starts with the key switch. Alas, I still haven't had a chance to drive it in this configuration, with about 32% of the cells installed, and about 64% of the 375 V that it will have in the first stage. (Second stage will be 750 V, if all goes to plan.)

You might not believe the work that goes into those grey contactor boxes. Each one has a false floor that all the contactors, shunts, fuses, pre-charge resistor and studs for interconnections is bolted to. They are tightly packed, and the double insulated cable is awkward to bend.

The bodywork is looking great, thanks to the help of our many helpers. Thanks, helpers, all of you!

Edit: swapped the last two posts to "leave the best till last" :-)
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
mcudogs
Groupie

Post by mcudogs »

Once again I would like to thank everybody who helped us in the presentation of the Convention and Festival. There was a great deal of work put in by the volunteers and everything went very well on both days.

Special mention has to be made of Simone and Graeme's efforts, as without them I don't think we could have held these events.

Also many thanks to the other volunteers Jim, John, Jeff and everyone who helped out at the AEVA stand at the Festival.

There was also a herculean effort put in by the guys who had cars almost ready to go for the festival. Some spent all the previous night getting their vehicles ready for display. Thank you all.

I will be putting together some DVDs of the convention so those who would like a copy please send me an email or PM.

Don
Simone
Groupie

Post by Simone »

The photos were awesome ... well done!!

Sidenote: The Religious group had actually hired 1/3 of King George Square, so not much we could do about that... but I think they were fairly harmless. :)
Trev
Noobie

Post by Trev »

Hi All,
I have now posted my story etc on "the back shed" forum along with more pictures
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_ ... =4272&PN=1

Thanks Heaps to Graeme at Suzi Auto and Simone for your help in making this possible

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Great story! Brilliant work getting it to King George Square.

What do you think caused the overheating? What was the typical net current into or out of the cells while driving at highway speed, and how does it relate to cell capacity? How did you prevent overcharging?
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
Trev
Noobie

Post by Trev »

The over heating is just a slow increase in temperature due to charging or discharging. When driving faster than 80km/hr used more power than the generator produced (94 amps). Driving slower/stopped, uses less power. 'Charge in' or 'charge out' of the batteries, does create some heat. My battery box is sealed and somewhat insulated. Increases in temperature does not escape quickly.

At 100km/hr we use 150-200amps. At 80km/hr often around the 90-110 amps. At 60km/hr is around the 50-60 amps.

Should be obvious enough, acceleration & hill climbing requires more power and deceleration & down hill requires less or none. The wind also has an impact.

The over charging is prevented by the max voltage output of the chargers. I used the 2 Zivan NG3's I normally use for charging and the Thundersky 3 phase charger, outout of 60 amps max, set at 167v, the same as the Zivan NG3's.