Mx5plus visit

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
coulomb
Site Admin

Mx5plus visit

Post by coulomb »

I visited mx5plus again today, mainly to pick up an MX-5 bonnet stay, which I seem to have lost. I was also on the lookout for a red garnish/rear trim (found, and swapped for the black one shown above free of charge), and for a boot floor.

One of our biggest mistakes was cutting out the floor of the boot, when we eventually realised that we need only have cut a third of the floor and bent it upwards to clear the top 20 mm or so of the under-boot battery box. Worse, we used the cut-out boot for welding practice, and discarded it. Now it will cost some $220 to get a boot floor cut out in Japan and shipped out here, and it will take at least 8 weeks.

We also heard from the owner, Richard Larson, that for compliance, we need padding for the roll-bar, and we can get away with about 40 x 15 mm stick-on foam from Clark Rubber.

Mx5plus parts have moved from where they were to a huge warehouse in Aspley, where they have over a dozen MX-5 cars (some on a bizarre rack thing two cars wide and about 6 cars high, make of very sturdy metal). I think it's where they used to and still do perform their MX-5 services, and now also RX-8s and the like. All very pretty, with a plush waiting lounge, toilets, bathroom (actual showers), a sink with 3 taps presumably for washing off oil from IC engines, and parts stacked up quite high. There are engines, wheels, seats, parts galore, many half cuts (but almost all are the front halves these days, hence the rarity of boot floors), and some classic Mazdas (some three wheelers, and others with actual Japanese characters on the almost square number plates). I had a choice of two NA 1.6 bonnet stays (oddly, the 1.8 models seem to have a different bonnet stay).
Last edited by coulomb on Sat, 10 Sep 2011, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Mx5plus visit

Post by johnfriartuck »

I know this is off topic but can anyone tell me what size drill to use for a M10 tap (im making up some nut plates) even better if anyone has the chart with all the sizes on so i could keep a copy for future references thanks   johnfriartuck
coulomb
Site Admin

Mx5plus visit

Post by coulomb »

I had a nice page on this, and of course can't find it back again.

This page seems OK:

http://www.engineeredpartsinc.com/pilot-hole.htm

It seems to suggest 9.1 mm for 3mm thickness of steel.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Mx5plus visit

Post by johnfriartuck »

thanx i appreciate that
gmacd33
Groupie

Mx5plus visit

Post by gmacd33 »

I assume your tap and bolts that you intend to use are metic course thread, which means for M10 they will have a thread pitch of 1.5mm.

I always use a drill bit equal to the size of the bolt diameter less the size of the thread pitch (to the nearest 0.1mm), which I believe is standard.

Thus for metric course thread (which is normally used), it's:

5mm hole for M6 x 1mm thread pitch
6.8mm for M8x1.25
Thus it would be 8.5 for M10x1.5, not 9.1mm.

I expect 9.1mm diam drill bit will work, but it will be quite loose and will not be as strong. Perhaps this is if you don't have a tap, and just want to jam the bolt into the material directly, thus using the bolt to tap the thread - I would advise against this.

This page shows the size of the tap drill clearly:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metri ... d_777.html

Also a general rule is that the material thickness should be at least 3 times the thread pitch. Thus for M10x1.5, you should use at least 4.5mm thick sheet, so probably 5mm.

Greg MacDonald
Chief Technical Officer
Lithium Battery Systems
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Mx5plus visit

Post by johnfriartuck »

hi Gmacd33,no im using 10x1.25 which i assume is metric fine and ive got the holes drilled out to 8mm already but they seem too small and i dont want to snap the tap off in the hole cos they are borrowed from a friend, but thanx anyway i appreciate you takimg the time to help,this is a good forum in that respect,by the way the material is tenmm thick and im using fine thread because the bolt screws into it and the shaft sticks out and is load bearing thanx again   john