TV Sunrise: "Such a bright spark?"

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Simon

Post by Simon » Sat, 27 Mar 2010, 17:28

Did anyone else watch Sunrise on Friday?
You can check it out here http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/pl ... ght-spark/
Lots of misinformation.. Image

edit: linked directly to video
Last edited by Simon on Sat, 27 Mar 2010, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi » Sat, 27 Mar 2010, 18:10

I think the report might have been funded by the oil lobby.

According to my 'scientific research' it is roughly carbon neutral for a crappy old coal fired power station. With a new power station we are all winning. Here are my results.

Mod Edit: fixed link
Last edited by antiscab on Sat, 27 Mar 2010, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat, 27 Mar 2010, 20:09

I saw that too. Glad to see I'm not the only one who was fuming at the TV. I was at work, though, so I didn't see the last bit. My coworkers were laughing at me telling the TV that charging off-peak produces no extra pollution, etc.

This EV thing makes people a bit crazy, huh haha
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

marcopolo
Groupie

Post by marcopolo » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 00:34

Wow ! I'm impressed! Someone actually watches 'Sunrise'?

How do they find these people"? How about those side boards?

Well, after that scintilatingly informative and well researched debate I'm really going to watch this show for all my scientific knowledge from now on!

Golly gosh, this beats the Readers Digest, Rotary, and Bert down at the bar of the RSL bowling club!

I knew I was doing the right thing to keep my Oldsmobile 6.3 litre V8!

mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 04:10

The individual responsible for the "claims" is Clive Mathew-Wilson, the author of the "Dog and Lemon Guide". He has written a paper Link which is what he is referring to for his claims. So I thought I'd better have a read of this "Paper". Actually calling it a "paper" is doing a huge injustice to those who do actually write peer reviewed literature, in reality it is nothing more than a misguided rant.

The first reference to the source of electricity being coal and dirty doesn't come till page 26, by which time he has covered;

The Oil Shortage
China following the US in wasting energy
Light Rail
Inefficient American Homes
Attacked alternative energy sources
Violence in America
Obesity in America

Then finally he gets to the subject of world energy usage where he quotes an article for the American National Public Radio "that the US Department of Energy expects global energy consumption to rise 77% by 2030", so I checked the US department of energy website
Link and it states World marketed energy consumption is projected to increase by 44 percent from 2006 to 2030. OK so he's out by 33%, hmmm,so why not link directly to the department of energy website with the ACTUAL figure and not link to the incorrect figure stated in the article by Michael Grunwald from American National Public Radio? This referencing of articles written by journalists continues throughout the rant with almost no direct referencing to actual published peer reviewed papers, why? Probably because he doesn't expect anyone to critically review what he has written, but just believe what he says is truth...well you can make up your own minds.

Sunrise picked up on this simply because it's good telly to have controversial people on. I would expect he'll make an appearance on TT or ACA in the next few weeks and I'm sure they'll do their research first...not!

marcopolo
Groupie

Post by marcopolo » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 05:51

mjcrow wrote: The individual responsible for the "claims" is Clive Mathew-Wilson, the author of the "Dog and Lemon Guide". He has written a paper which is what he is referring to for his claims. Actually calling it a "paper" is doing a huge injustice to those who do actually write peer reviewed literature, in reality it is nothing more than a misguided rant.
Yes, of course you are quite right. Clive Mathew-Wilson make Andrew Bolt and George Monbiot look like rational, broad minded, responsible, tolerant journalists!

Sadly he and his ilk will receive their 15 moments in the spotlight, as that is exactly the point of such silly banal shallow show such as Sunrise, TT,ICA etc..

But the mainstream media is beginning to follow the pattern of sensationalise first, discover facts later. The recent vast hyper-manic reportage of the claims against Toyota, is very good example. The media frenzy began with a story which would not have been credited by any responsible journalist, and even a tiny amount of investigation would have disproved the outrageously fraudulent claims. But the story has now gained legend status and will be quoted for years to come as accepted fact.

Curiously, in the Sunrise program the claim that no EV is available to purchase in Australia, went completely unchallenged. Both Vectrix and Blade Electron are on sale and in the case of Blade, manufactured in Australia.

But, as I say, who the hell would quote Sunrise as a journalistic source!   

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 06:19

marcopolo wrote: Wow ! I'm impressed! Someone actually watches 'Sunrise'?

Yeah its a crap show like most so called "news" or "current affairs" stuff on TV these days! It was just by chance that I saw an ad for Sunrise mentioning EV's that I bothered to record it.
Mainstream media sucks! Long live the unImage internet!? But for how long?!?!

marcopolo
Groupie

Post by marcopolo » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 16:03

Simon wrote: [ Long live the uncensored Internet!? But for how long?!?!

Yes, indeed!! Although the Internet has a lot of crap on it too. But the advantage is that such crap can be immediately challenged by anyone. The reader decides from a free flow of information.

This is immensely disturbing for the left, right, major organisations, and of course the usual indignant nanny state hypocrites whose passion for censorship spring from their own inadequacies.

The old quote "the price of freedom is eternal vigilence" has never been more true.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 17:16

Hey I'd been at work since 04:30! I was weak and they mentioned EVs! haha.

I also had the same thought "What about Blade?" Though perhaps he meant purpose-built EVs, not conversions.

I've ranted about the Great Firewall of Australia before. The best way to OMG PROTECT THE CHILDRENS! is to be a responsible parent and don't just dump them in front of the computer as you would dump the kids in front of the telly! Sit with them, go into chatrooms with them, monitor the websites they visit. It's the parent's job, not the government's!

bah.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

marcopolo
Groupie

Post by marcopolo » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 19:30

Thalass wrote: I also had the same thought "What about Blade?" Though perhaps he meant purpose-built EVs, not conversions.
God knows what he meant! (Actually, Blade is an Accredited Low Volume Manufacturer, not just a converter.)
I've ranted about the Great Firewall of Australia before. The best way to OMG PROTECT THE CHILDRENS! is to be a responsible parent and don't just dump them in front of the computer as you would dump the kids in front of the telly! Sit with them, go into chatrooms with them, monitor the websites they visit. It's the parent's job, not the government's! bah. [/QUOTES]

Very, very interesting views....my ah..assistant here, will just take your details for our files. We'd certainly like to hear more, we'll be in touch. It won't take long,...Just a short visit to our....We know you want to confe..co-operate! It's all to protect the children.

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle » Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 20:45

Thalass wrote:don't just dump them in front of the computer as you would dump the kids in front of the telly!

shouldn't really just dump them in front of the TV either!
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

marcopolo
Groupie

Post by marcopolo » Mon, 29 Mar 2010, 01:52

Electrocycle wrote: shouldn't really just dump them in front of the TV either!

Yup, thas right! Them kids,( burp) gotta larn to get the beer sometimes, right?