Canberra Photos

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
EV2Go

Canberra Photos

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 15:00

Unfortunately the weather was not at all conducive towards riding my bike to Canberra on the weekend resulting in missing the big event, is there a photo thread of the weekend?

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Canberra Photos

Post by Electrocycle » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 15:11

There's a pretty bad quality video of my ride in the Tesla :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIU6XHsIu08
Last edited by Electrocycle on Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

EV2Go

Canberra Photos

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 15:50

Thanks Andrew, it didn’t seem to accelerate all that hard but sometimes it is hard to tell from a video, but then again I took my bike to the drags last Wednesday and run a best of 10.97 @ 136.5mph and I thought it was only just adequate. Thinking of droping a few teeth on the front sprocket to get it to go harder.
Last edited by EV2Go on Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

Electrocycle

Canberra Photos

Post by Electrocycle » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 17:10

yeah it's hard to tell because it's really smooth.
It doesn't give a smack in the back on launch but it really pushes you back in the seat - and the acceleration just keeps going.

He was doing zero to 80 and back to zero in a very short distance!

I think the go kart would beat the Tesla over the first few metres, but then it'd be overtaken and left behind :)

I should have brought the G-tech...

EV2Go

Canberra Photos

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 17:56

Like a plane taking off... That’s kinda cool. I have been wondering if a G-Tech worked with EV since there is no alternator pulse to work off. I bought one of the expensive ones (G-Tech Pro RR) when I first got my 180sx to do base line tuning comparisons, and was wondering if I should keep it.

Edit:
Not wanting to hijack my own thread but...

Q: What features rely on RPM pickup?
•     Tachometer
•     Shiftlights
•     Torque measurement
•     RPMs vs time graph
•     HP & TQ vs. RPMs graph
All of the acceleration-based measurements, such as 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, 60 ft, 330 ft, 1000ft, as well as features like horsepower, cornering lights, braking distance measurements, 50-70MPH sprints, etc. will still work fine without RPMs.

And could probably still modify it to use a tach signal off the motor shaft... Now back to requesting pics of the weekend event.
Last edited by EV2Go on Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

evric
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by evric » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 22:33

AEVA Inuagural "EV Festival" Canberra 4th October 2009.
I have uploaded 3 YouTube videos. View them on the AEVA (Adelaide) site...
AEVA Adelaide website
Last edited by evric on Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

Electrocycle

Canberra Photos

Post by Electrocycle » Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 23:50

Good stuff!
Any chance of getting a copy of the gokart bit? :)

Gtech stuff
My Gtech doesn't have any tacho input.

You can get a tacho pulse from an EV with a sensor on a DC motor, or straight from the controller with AC.

evric
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by evric » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 00:08

I'll PM you with the details of the video tomorrow.
Also the details of the tacho circuit. It's on another section of this forum.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

Thalass

Canberra Photos

Post by Thalass » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 00:45

The event even made the regular car forums. One of the guys from the AUSubaru forum went along and was quite impressed!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

EV2Go

Canberra Photos

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 00:49

thanks for that...

coulomb
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by coulomb » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 01:19

EV2Go wrote: Is there a photo thread of the weekend?

This may as well be it.

As you can see, the road was blocked off for one block, to allow rides and demos. The go-kart, Tesla, Vectrix, both Detroit Electrics, the EV Capri, and others were demoed.

This is GTTool's (Geoff OToole) go-kart, literally thrown together in a weekend. (It would be nice to have such mechanical skills). The demos of this thing were pretty wild. Acmotor gave it a pretty good spin as well.

I don't remember who owns this, but see this URL: http://www.theelectriccarcompany.com.au/. Weber at right.
Edit: This is part of Kearon de Coulet's The Electric Car Company. See TECCO.

Image     Image
The plastic cover comes off by unhooking about 4 straps. This was the first of many Curtis 1231C-8601 controllers that I saw.

Here is another one. I actually took this photo to try and figure out why the battery charger is larger than the controller. This is a commonly used Rod Dilke model. Does anyone know if this is actually an Australian designed charger, with a 50 Hz transformer contributing to the bulk?

Image     Image
I didn't recognise this conversion from any pictures on the forum or EV album. That's because it was finished only two nights earlier!

More soon.
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 06 Oct 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by coulomb » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 01:51

Not all the vehicles on display were EVs; in fact there were many e-bikes (I didn't take photos of these).

"Switch": this was a Generation II (2004-2009) Prius converted to PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid EV) by students at UTS (University of Technology at Sydney). 4.1 kWh of K2 lithium iron phosphate additional battery pack (35 kg). It can feed power back to the grid at 1.7 kW through a standard solar grid interactive inverter. More at http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/cleancars.

Image     Image
David Sharpe drove his EV from Melbourne. I heard him talking to astounded members of the public, spreading the Good Word. Well done, David!

A HPV (Human Powered Vehicle) with mild electric assist (I think).

Image     Image
Kearon has more photos here. I now have one of these really neat EV Capri business cards: Image. Kearon does such a great PR job. Thanks, mate!

Image     Image
There was a pair of classic Detroit Electrics; a red and a green one. Note the beefy e-motor, connected to the whimpy drive shaft.
By the way, the green rectangles and other manglings are just so I can squeek these photos under the 100 kB limit. Blades of grass don't tend to JPEG compress very well.

This bomb disposal robot did a demo of retrieving an aluminium drink can without crushing it. This EV runs at about half a million dollars. I'm not sure if that includes the set of tools that it can "strap on" and be controlled through the same control console as the robot itself uses.

Image     Image
This was a stock 2010 Prius, getting some rain on its high voltage electronics. Note the shielding on some of the 3-pin power connectors.

Image     Image
A pair of Segways. Mal was there with his home-made open source equivalent; I don't know if he got to take them on in a contest of some sort.

Even more soon.

coulomb
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by coulomb » Wed, 07 Oct 2009, 02:21

Image     Image
The star of any Australian EV show: the only Tesla south of California. Simon managed to get it to about 80 km/h before having to brake in the short distance available. Despite all this, it was pretty impressive. I'd sure like one. It was certainly a crowd pleaser. Simon was also doing a great job spreading the word.

I liked the idea of these battery racks; some threaded rod is welded to the tray below, some rectangular sollow section (RHS) welded to the top tray, and one nut holds the two trays together. The cross members constrain the yellow top batteries quite nearly. Some of these ideas may make it into a future conversion of mine.

Image     Image
Utes are such a dream to convert. Look at all the spare space in the engine bay! Plenty of batteries, even floodies, can be fitted under the tray.

Now that's an Anderson connector! I wonder why these things are so popular; it's so easy to poke fingers into these to find the high voltage.

boost-juice
Noobie

Canberra Photos

Post by boost-juice » Thu, 08 Oct 2009, 20:21

..Hi everyone,

I was at the EV festival on the weekend, but unfortunately i missed seeing the owner of the ebike pictured below. If anyone knows his name or has any contact information, it would be appreciated. Maybe he's a member here? I have a current ebike project going that is very similar and it would be great to get some insight from the owner of this project.

evric
Site Admin

Canberra Photos

Post by evric » Thu, 08 Oct 2009, 21:03

Ready, Set ...!

Last edited by evric on Thu, 08 Oct 2009, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.