EV Run to Canberra AGM 2009

For Australian Capital Territory Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

i built a good 16 kVA diesel set with a 905 cc Yanmar 3TNE74 , 3 cylinder , 83 kg , 23 Hp , set up as 2 pole 3000 RPM with MeccAlte alternator , the whole thing weighs less than 210 kg from memory.

210 kg wouldnt be too much for a mini trailer set , but its overkill for what you need ?.
Last edited by HeadsUp on Sat, 20 Jun 2009, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
electriclibrarian
Noobie

Post by electriclibrarian »

Hello AEVA forum members.
I note the posts about the irony of recharging using ICE generators-Just a thought- how about a stopover in the Bowral/Mittagong area- 92 households recently installed solar electricity here and I for one would be delighted to recharge an ev or two from our system. Also FX Larkin have what they call a "Solar Farm" (which is a bit of a hype but they do have a couple of PV systems going there) its on the Northern approach to Mittagong as you leave the freeway, right nexto a long wide slip road- I can just see a line of EV's parked there charging - a very visible spot for some awareness-raising for the locals (and tourists on a w/e). There's a very active climate change group down here http://canwin.org.au/your-say/contact-us/ who are good at arranging sustainable events- they may well be interested in coordinating with you and making it a good publicity exercise.

I'd be interested in what people thought.
Electric Librarian
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

For those coming from Melbourne I have charging lined up approx every 100ks. Im not catering for lesser range EVs. Mine should be able to do 160ks now as I have 50Ahrs of "spiral pure lead" as well as 90Ahrs TS. Charging two off NG3s on separate leads. Back up power is the new Honda Cyclo generator 3kW weighing 30kgs. It shouldnt be necessary to use it, more for insurance. Route is Melb to Wang The Rock Yass ACT return is via Hume but turning off at Holbrook & similar to up trip. Im assuming that I will be the only EV from Melbourne but if there is anyone else they will need to leave 2 hours earlier or later than me. Im not fussy where I get the power from houses pubs caravan parks motels are all part of the fun. I also drink & drive but it is low alcohol beer on the road.
woody

Post by woody »

electriclibrarian wrote: Hello AEVA forum members.
I note the posts about the irony of recharging using ICE generators-Just a thought- how about a stopover in the Bowral/Mittagong area- 92 households recently installed solar electricity here and I for one would be delighted to recharge an ev or two from our system. Also FX Larkin have what they call a "Solar Farm" (which is a bit of a hype but they do have a couple of PV systems going there) its on the Northern approach to Mittagong as you leave the freeway, right nexto a long wide slip road- I can just see a line of EV's parked there charging - a very visible spot for some awareness-raising for the locals (and tourists on a w/e). There's a very active climate change group down here http://canwin.org.au/your-say/contact-us/ who are good at arranging sustainable events- they may well be interested in coordinating with you and making it a good publicity exercise.

I'd be interested in what people thought.
Hi ELB,

Thanks! That's a really cool offer.

Rough calculations:
Sydney - 100km - Mittagong - 100km - Goulbourn - 100km - Canberra

Sounds like a great option for people with 100km range. Just need to find somewhere in Goulbourn to charge.

Hopefully I'll be driving my donor vehicle down to Canberra for it's last big ICE trip.

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Missing Link for charging. I cannot find anyone willing to let me charge at Seymour. If anyone has friends family or business within 20ks either way willing to help pl let me know. Can do odd jobs while charging for 2 hours. Contacted so far without success-2 caravan parks, RSL, Seymour High School. If all fails Ill use my back up generator to extend range to Benalla but I want to see if I can get to ACT on electricity alone.
David
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thats disappointing! I would of thought that caravan parks would be willing to let an EV plug into a spare 15A for a price.
Good luck. Image
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Im OK now, got a last moment acceptance from Highland Caravan Park.
Maybe one day there will be a network of charging stations with 3 phase power, the only way to do fast charging with conventional mains. David
woody

Post by woody »

There are a bunch of community groups here:

Bunch

I'm an old scout, I can contact the scouts there if you like. When are you planning to be there, I'm guessing the morning of the 1st or 2nd of October? I assume you'd be willing to give a little talk or something to the scouts/venturers / show them around the car(s) or something?

Are any others members of Apex / Lions / Rotary / Probus / St Johns / CFA / CWA / Linedancing and happy to make enquiries? I don't know how strong the various secret handshakes are...
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Im OK now thanks for your trouble. See prev posting.David
woody

Post by woody »

Great news / no worries. I hope to meet you in our nation's capital :-)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Rattrap wrote: I'm trying to find some more details on this event... I'm looking for dates & location of field day.

I assume that the "field day" is the National Electric Vehicle Festival (see http://www.canberraev.org/festival).

Do we have any details of other events?
In particular, where and when is the actual AGM?
Is there anything happening on the Saturday?
Are most people staying Saturday and Sunday nights?

It's less than a month away now, so we need to plan and book accommodation.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
woody

Post by woody »

I think the AGM is on Saturday.

I'll be there with my wife + kids (4+1), probably going to questacon and cycling around the lake on Saturday.

Accommodation: I'm still trying to bum free accommodation from family or friends...
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

The AGM is Saturday night. The field day/open day on Sunday has evolved into rather more than just members and vehicles, although that is a crucial part of it, hence 'EV Festival'.
There will be plenty of other things to do around Canberra. The EV Fest is on in the parliamentary triangle with Questacon, National Library, Art galleries, new and old parliament house, museum, Floriade etc. all within walking/cycling distance.
PS Woody, do you really have four wives but only one child?
Peter.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
woody

Post by woody »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: PS Woody, do you really have four wives but only one child?
Shhh, it's not Utah, I don't want to get busted.
htial
Groupie

Post by htial »

I'm planing on heading up from Melbourne on the Friday...

At the last Melbourne branch meeting last night, I think it was Robert (or Robbie, I'm bad with names. Has awesome lamb chop side burns at the moment), also mentioned that he was heading up. Does anyone know his User Name, or e-mail, so I can contact him and see if he has already made plans or not...

Thanks in advance...

- - Laith...
moemoke
Groupie

Post by moemoke »

Does anyone know how many EV's are going to be on show?
I hope to be able to get there but I will need to start being nice to She who must be obeyed so I can get a leave pass.
I was hoping to drag the MOA electro moke along but that may not happen now.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.
gannet
Noobie

Post by gannet »

There's getting to be a few. I think 2 Detroit electrics.
2 or 3 local conversions, the Tesla, a 1930 Peugeot, one of those little Sinclair plastic trike things.... a couple of modified hybrids... various bikes ( with luck, a Stealth..... )

And, if you happen to be passing Wakefield park on the Saturday... its the Cobra Nationals, (which doesn't seem too relevant), but the bloke who is the importer for the NEW Detroit electrics will be there:
http://www.detroitev.com/electric-vehicles.php

Trouble is, as no-one has ordered one, he hasn't imported any.
BUT - he will have some of the ICE versions - more or less an Aerial Atom lookalike, and very nicely made.

http://www.superlitecars.com.au/

They will have some of the other kits they make, alloy monocoque GT40's etc which would make for a nice upmarket EV project. There was talk they were doing an electric GT40, but they may have been a bit busy with other stuff.

woody

Post by woody »

There are at least 4 EVs coming down from Sydney: EVCapri, Electrolux, AMP.80Y, Formula (E)V
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Is anyone actually driving their EV using charging stations en route?
Peter C in Canberra

and a couple from Melbourne too. I'm pretty sure one is driving up with charging arranged en route. the local electricity co. with some Vectrix electric scooters. Better Place are presenting their charging and battery swap system. The plug in hybrid conversions are set up as research vehicles for vehicle to grid charging. The EV concept is extended to light rail and mobility cycles. We have a road closure so the Tesla can show off. ANU engineering students are showing projects including a computer smart system for EV design.
Should be a great day!
Peter.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Last weekend I did a trial run before the trip to ACT driving from Melbourne to Ballarat & return(charging at Leigh Hately's place 3 phase power available!) and then on to Landsborough (have a house there with power) and a trip to Stawell next day. 600ks done. Lessons to be learnt: LiFeP cells dev high resistance contacts on pos terminals with my tinned copper straps. Run to B'rat has hill climb that upsets range. Backup generator kept tripping when bat voltage sagged. Needed to use it near B'rat and used about 1 litre of fuel.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

LiFePO4 (aluminium ?) terminals do present some challenges.
I guess the terminal arrangement chemistry comes into play as we mix Ali, copper, tin, lead, zinc, stainless and mild steel with perhaps some others thrown in.
Any material chemists out there who can shed some light on does and don'ts ?
Actually I'll start a new thread here and see what surfaces....

converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

So is the actual AGM at these timespace co-ordinates?

7.30pm at Premier Inn, Belconnen (Canberra), in the Oak Room

I found that under the "Agenda" tab, but the "Where" tab says ANU, from this page: http://canberraev.org/meet.html. Perhaps ANU is for ordinary, monthly meetings, which there won't be in October due to the AGM?

To add confusion, especially to Queenslanders, it seems that Daylight Savings time starts this weekend in NSW and the ACT (and likely other states). So Saturday is on real AEST, and Sunday is on AEDT, so there is an hour less for sleep.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Peter C in Canberra

The ANU room is just the local branch meetings. I think 7.30 Oak room is correct for the national AGM.
Peter.
woody

Post by woody »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: PS Woody, do you really have four wives but only one child?
Anybody know any family-friendly ideas for Canberra ? So far I've got:
Questacon (300m from EV Festival)
Cycling around the Lake (500m from EV Festival)
Picnic (at the Festival)