EV autocross

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
CasualProjects
Noobie

EV autocross

Post by CasualProjects » Wed, 04 Jun 2008, 05:08

Hi,

I am interested in EV racing, and think autocross would be a great. most of the cars are small, you don't want to wreck them,the sport lends itself to cars with good low-end, and the typical courses are just over a minute usually . I'm doing my first conversion now on a charade, its not going to be incredibly fast but id like to have a go.

thoughts?

NIck
Canberra

if theres already been a discussion on this, i apologize, didn't see it.
Nick

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

EV autocross

Post by zeva » Wed, 04 Jun 2008, 05:31

I'm certainly planning to use my electric MX5 for some motorsport once it's finished. As you say the autocross / motorkhana type events are a pretty easy place for EVs to compete without needing to be hugely powerful or needing long range. You do need a pretty well maintained vehicle for any motorsport though, it tends to be pretty hard on them!
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

CasualProjects
Noobie

EV autocross

Post by CasualProjects » Wed, 04 Jun 2008, 05:48

I am thinking more the American or Japanese style auto cross. personally i think that motorkhana is more of a glorified P plate test, if theres stuff like reversing and all. you'd want a rollcage, a fourpoint belt ,and a good helmet. other than that i guess a fine tuned suspension. MX5 is rwd right? would be good for drifting around the bends

Nick
Nick

juk
Groupie

EV autocross

Post by juk » Wed, 04 Jun 2008, 06:31

The motorkhana i've competed in in australia reverse is not allowed, if you engage reverse, you get the slowest time plus a penalty. All you need is a suitably scrutineered car, long sleeve cotton clothing and helmet.

It would be ideal for EVs. And i reckon you'd have a fair chance of doing all right Ian.

galderdi
Groupie

Re: EV autocross

Post by galderdi » Fri, 27 Apr 2018, 10:59

juk wrote:
Wed, 04 Jun 2008, 06:31
The motorkhana i've competed in in australia reverse is not allowed, if you engage reverse, you get the slowest time plus a penalty. All you need is a suitably scrutineered car, long sleeve cotton clothing and helmet.

It would be ideal for EVs. And i reckon you'd have a fair chance of doing all right Ian.
This is not quite true in all cases. I compete in around 8-10 motorkhanas each year. The rules for the motorkhanas under CAMS are quite clear. There are actual courses that require reversing. In fact the Australian Championships and State championships must have a percentage of reversing tests included. Even for those tests that don't call for reversing you can still reverse if you need to correct a mistake. If you make a mistake it is certainly considered a "wrong direction" and you would incur the slowest time plus a penalty.

I suspect the motorkhanas mentioned in this thread were run at a club level with local interpretations.

I also totally dispute the idea that motorkhanas are for P platers. Motorkhanas are not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Even when driven slowly the courses can be dificult to remember. Then when you do begin to master the art of remembering the layout they are extremely difficult to drive competitively. If you don't believe me just contact me and we can arrange for you to experience it first hand.