MG ZS EV

MG EV Interest Group
KlinkPC
Noobie

Re: MG ZS EV

Post by KlinkPC »

According to the people at evse.com.au who supply the chargers for the MG the charger supplied is locked to 8 amp.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Can hardly blame the dealerships for disinterest in EVs, after all there is no ongoing parts / service revenue.

Dunno about an equitable solution
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

praxidice wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 16:26 Can hardly blame the dealerships for disinterest in EVs, after all there is no ongoing parts / service revenue.
MG ZS EV service costs in Australia are apparently $160 per year and $800 every fourth year.

That averages out to equivalent MG petrol car servicing costs (thanks to the very high 4 year service). Service intervals are 20k/12 months. Less parts wear and tear in the ZS EV but it is a Chinese car with lower quality so I expect higher ongoing costs than a Hyundai EV.
Peter C in Canberra wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 11:03 Typical story of car dealer not wanting to sell an EV or even bothering to learn anything about them.
The MG dealer where we test drove the ZS EV was trying thard to explain the vehicle's features but spent half the test drive bagging out Tesla cars (we stopped outside a Tesla dealer to swap drivers) and saying how it was good that ZS EV looked normal and not weird like some EVs (pointing at the Model X in front of us). Didn't have the heart to tell him we have a Model 3 but since we rocked up in a Leaf (and told him we were very happy with it except the range) it seemed like a pretty stupid sales tactic. The MG might look "normal" but it's hardly the epitome of style and it's aerodynamics suck due to the big grill and lack of smooth undercarriage.

While he was happy to try and sell us the EV, bagging out competing EV manufacturers will never win brownie points with our family nor I suspect most buyers.

He also mentioned that MG will soon be offering a portable fast charger that can fully charge your car at any location in under an hour for $1500. I politely nodded my head while realising he had confused a 7kW home charger with a DC fast charger. Still a fair way to go with dealers in being able to accurately describe electric vehicles to respective customers.

Some decent EV training for MG and other (non-Tesla) dealers selling EVs would do wonders to help them sell more cars. The MG ZS EV has great potential for high sales in Australia. Let's hope they can get stock into the country soon. The average punter won't want to wait 3 months like they have to with Tesla and Hyundai.
Last edited by dgh853 on Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://youtu.be/DTGGNyT-qIM
Jump to 4:44 mins

Bagging other cars is the typical Chinese sales technique.
2020 Model 3 SR+ FSD - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 82
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

@KlinkPC have u tried a Tesla Ac charger yet ?
2020 Model 3 SR+ FSD - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 82
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Not yet Joseph. I played around yesterday on AC chargers at Alkimos, Wanneroo and Joondalup. I'm going down to Mandurah today. I'll see if there are any Destination chargers on the way.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

dgh853 wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 17:26 ...He also mentioned that MG will soon be offering a portable fast charger that can fuly charge your car at any location in under an hour for $1500. I politley nodded my head while realising he had confused a 7kW home charger with a DC fast charger. Still a fair way to go with dealers in being able to accurately describe electric vehicles to respective customers...
It's a possibly understandable confusion. In the ACT, the local electricity people put in some 7kW AC chargers and some 50kW DC chargers, which they designate 'fast' and 'rapid', respectively. $1500 is a lot for a 7kW portable EVSE charge cord. I bought one about a year ago for some price in the high hundreds. Nonetheless, I like that they are selling customers something they can use at home and elsewhere rather than up-selling a wall 'charger' that is really just a hard-wired and consequently non-portable EVSE.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

g4qber wrote: Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 09:56 @KlinkPC have u tried a Tesla Ac charger yet ?
I successfully test charged at Footprints Resort on the Tesla charger there. I went on up to Mandurah and charged up there a short time before you arrived.
Mi319
Noobie

Post by Mi319 »

I am new to this forum. I had my new MG EV last week. After one week of test drive and I charged my EV at home. After charging, I could not unplug the cable. I took out the manual and did accordingly but the cable was still locked. After several attempts,I finally unplug the cable from the car. Will anyone please help to let me know the proper way to unplug the cable from the MG EV. Thanks.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Turn off the power at the charger. Unlock the MG. The car's charging port should then unlock. If all else fails there is a way of releasing the cable by opening the bonnet. That information is in the manual.
Mi319
Noobie

Post by Mi319 »

Thank you for the information. Sorry I could not find "releasing the cable by opening the bonnet" in the manual, but the information is very valuable. Thanks
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

It's on pages 144/145.
Charging Port Electronic Lock
In order to prevent the charging connector and cable being disconnected inadvertently during charging, the charging
socket features an electronic locking mechanism. The electronic lock is activated as soon as the vehicle
is locked, and remains in a locked state until the car is unlocked.
Whilst the charging cable is connected and the vehicle locked DO NOT attempt to remove the plug.
Only when the vehicle is unlocked can the charging connector be unplugged.
Note: The car will not charge whilst in an unlocked state.
Manually Releasing the Charging Port Lock in Emergency Situations
The vehicle features an emergency release device for the charging port lock.
To access the manual release, raise the bonnet and locate the release cable on the N/S of the radiator cowling assembly
Pull the release cable handle, remove the connector plug whilst maintaining tension on the cable this will release the locking device.

Here is a link to a short video: https://youtu.be/Km7jb2-ah3k
SockGap
Noobie

Post by SockGap »

francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 30 Nov 2020, 13:19 I went to have a look at one today. I went to the Kedron dealer and the service was really bad. The guy was like "Are you going to put a deposit?" Then I said I would like a test drive. I can't tell you without driving it.
Then he goes "are you going to put a deposit if it drives ok".
I just told him I wanted to compare a few cars first. So I told him I would go and try the Hyundai first and come back if I didn't like them and left.
The attitude was very poor. Never he tried to say anything about the car other than the plug is at the front and you have to put a deposit and wait a few months if you want one.
That would be horrible Francisco and certainly would have put me off straight away.

We did a test drive at Kedron just before Christmas 2020 and only dealt with Gareth. He said he was the primary contact for all EVs sales and was really good to work with. He gave us time to make a decision ourselves and there was no pressure at all. Pretty much the exact opposite to what you had to put up with.

Maybe they had some feedback about whoever you dealt with. Maybe we were just lucky to get someone else.
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Post by ResistanceIsFutile »

dgh853 wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 17:26 MG ZS EV service costs in Australia are apparently $160 per year and $800 every fourth year.
What on earth do they do at the four year service? Change a timing belt? :shock:
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

ResistanceIsFutile wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 07:39
dgh853 wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 17:26 MG ZS EV service costs in Australia are apparently $160 per year and $800 every fourth year.
What on earth do they do at the four year service? Change a timing belt? :shock:
I suspect it’s in order to get existing franchises to add MG to their stable and to dabble in the low revenue world of minimal maintenance EVs, SAIC has had to sweeten the deal.
Maintenance and spares are critical to survival when you have low profit margin sales of the last decade or so.
A battery flush would be the biggie I suspect and probably updates included.....and the old tyres/brakes/suspension etc.
Tesla not having the overhead of dealerships makes life difficult for the old industry structure.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

I've had this car now for 2500kms. and the only negative about the vehicle is that you cannot buy any sort of spare wheel for it, either space saver or full size. My local dealer in Perth searches by model or VIN and can't supply me with anything. Aside from that I've done a few day trips in typical hot WA weather. The car handles well, the range is adequate and when I use a fast charger I have just enough time for a loo break and a beer before I get going again. I think drivers in Australia need to get used to pulling in every 2 hours and charging up for 40 minutes. It's a lot easier than trying to cover 1000kms. a day.
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Post by ResistanceIsFutile »

KlinkPC wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 11:50 I've had this car now for 2500kms. and the only negative about the vehicle is that you cannot buy any sort of spare wheel for it, either space saver or full size. My local dealer in Perth searches by model or VIN and can't supply me with anything. Aside from that I've done a few day trips in typical hot WA weather. The car handles well, the range is adequate and when I use a fast charger I have just enough time for a loo break and a beer before I get going again. I think drivers in Australia need to get used to pulling in every 2 hours and charging up for 40 minutes. It's a lot easier than trying to cover 1000kms. a day.
One of my biggest reservations apart from the chinese origin would be ongoing parts availability. I don't suppose you've had any experience of this yet?

It's not unusual for parts availability to somewhat trail a new model.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

According to this article:

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/mg-2020-sales-boom

MG sold over 15,000 vehicles in Australia last year. I think the EV at its current price will sell well in the next couple of years. I guess the more of these vehicles on the road, the more parts will become available. After reading UK forums there doesn't seem to be a big problem there at all.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

ResistanceIsFutile wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 14:08
KlinkPC wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 11:50 I've had this car now for 2500kms. and the only negative about the vehicle is that you cannot buy any sort of spare wheel for it, either space saver or full size. My local dealer in Perth searches by model or VIN and can't supply me with anything. Aside from that I've done a few day trips in typical hot WA weather. The car handles well, the range is adequate and when I use a fast charger I have just enough time for a loo break and a beer before I get going again. I think drivers in Australia need to get used to pulling in every 2 hours and charging up for 40 minutes. It's a lot easier than trying to cover 1000kms. a day.
One of my biggest reservations apart from the chinese origin would be ongoing parts availability. I don't suppose you've had any experience of this yet?

It's not unusual for parts availability to somewhat trail a new model.
I was quoted just under $600 by dealerships for a space saver spare. It appears the bolt pattern and offset are peculiar to the eZS and HS, however a late model VW Golf (and other VW vehicle) space saver reportedly fits with a spacer to correct the offset. A wheel company advised they could provide a full size steel wheel for about $120 plus tyre. I'll probably go with the latter as I do a lot of long trips.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Has anyone had experience with using Tesla chargers AC or DC ?
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Nagaman wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 15:22 Has anyone had experience with using Tesla chargers AC or DC ?
I have tried a few and quite frankly I found them a royal PITA. It isn't simply a matter of plugging in, regardless of the plugs looking similar to a common or garden variety type 2 one. A special adaptor with two switches is needed, the idea being to fool the Tesla destination charger into thinking a Tesla is connected. Occasionally one can be coerced into working but it is so inconsistent and so fiddly that I won't try again unless in complete desperation. Apparently early versions can be set internally to 'legacy' or 'Tesla only', but there is no external indication of the setting. Current ones are all 'Tesla only'. Some have suggested looking at the history in Plugshare however in my experience that only rarely very assists as it appears very few non-Tesla drivers have attempted to use these things. In the past there weren't as many alternative 'proper' (non Tesla) chargers as there are now, so the issue of having to contend with Tesla chargers doesn't apply as much as it did a few years ago. Personally I believe this tomfoolery sends a very bad signal about Tesla (and yes I am aware of the arguments by the Tesla fan club). Whatever ... my suggestion is to avoid them like the plague.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 11:04
dgh853 wrote: Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 17:26 ...He also mentioned that MG will soon be offering a portable fast charger that can fuly charge your car at any location in under an hour for $1500. I politley nodded my head while realising he had confused a 7kW home charger with a DC fast charger. Still a fair way to go with dealers in being able to accurately describe electric vehicles to respective customers...
It's a possibly understandable confusion. In the ACT, the local electricity people put in some 7kW AC chargers and some 50kW DC chargers, which they designate 'fast' and 'rapid', respectively. $1500 is a lot for a 7kW portable EVSE charge cord. I bought one about a year ago for some price in the high hundreds. Nonetheless, I like that they are selling customers something they can use at home and elsewhere rather than up-selling a wall 'charger' that is really just a hard-wired and consequently non-portable EVSE.
7kw EVSE's are available from OpenEVSE for under $500. Be aware however that they aren't 'portable' in the same context as a 10 amp or 15 amp plug-in EVSE as they need around 30 amps at 240v, and there wouldn't be a regular GPO in the country that will allow as much draw. Very rarely one might find an industrial style 240v 32 amp socket but they use round pins like a three phase outlet and are not compatible with 10 amp / 15 amp plugs. Possibly a 240v 32 amp to 415v 32 amp adaptor would do the job if you can find an accessible three phase outlet.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

praxidice wrote: Tue, 12 Jan 2021, 01:53
Nagaman wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 15:22 Has anyone had experience with using Tesla chargers AC or DC ?
I have tried a few and quite frankly I found them a royal PITA. It isn't simply a matter of plugging in, regardless of the plugs looking similar to a common or garden variety type 2 one. A special adaptor with two switches is needed, the idea being to fool the Tesla destination charger into thinking a Tesla is connected. Occasionally one can be coerced into working but it is so inconsistent and so fiddly that I won't try again unless in complete desperation. Apparently early versions can be set internally to 'legacy' or 'Tesla only', but there is no external indication of the setting. Current ones are all 'Tesla only'. Some have suggested looking at the history in Plugshare however in my experience that only rarely very assists as it appears very few non-Tesla drivers have attempted to use these things. In the past there weren't as many alternative 'proper' (non Tesla) chargers as there are now, so the issue of having to contend with Tesla chargers doesn't apply as much as it did a few years ago. Personally I believe this tomfoolery sends a very bad signal about Tesla (and yes I am aware of the arguments by the Tesla fan club). Whatever ... my suggestion is to avoid them like the plague.
Ok, thanks for that.
I’m particularly interested in destinations that accommodate EVs in general and hoping that the majority have the old ‘universal’ ones .
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

praxidice wrote: Tue, 12 Jan 2021, 02:11 7kw EVSE's are available from OpenEVSE for under $500. Be aware however that they aren't 'portable' in the same context as a 10 amp or 15 amp plug-in EVSE as they need around 30 amps at 240v, and there wouldn't be a regular GPO in the country that will allow as much draw. Very rarely one might find an industrial style 240v 32 amp socket but they use round pins like a three phase outlet and are not compatible with 10 amp / 15 amp plugs. Possibly a 240v 32 amp to 415v 32 amp adaptor would do the job if you can find an accessible three phase outlet.
That's not entirely the case. The charge rate is programmable via a web page and can be adjusted down to 10A, 15A, ... whatever the socket supports.

I have one that's fitted with a 32A 3-phase plug. I also have an adaptor cable to a standard 3-pin plug to allow it to be used with 10A or 15A outlets. Hopefully that will cover most cases.

I paid about $A750 landed for the kit version, and assembled is about $100 more.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

News to me about adjustment via webpage, but then I haven't perused the documentation in depth.

Interesting about the 415v 32 amp plug, presumably you are only using one phase ?

Are you aware if Australian wiring rules permit a plug-in 7kw EVSE on off-peak. Not being a sparkie I don't have a copy of the rule book and nobody I've asked admits to knowing anything about it. Seems the question isn't mentioned anywhere. Apparently its fine to have a hard wired 7kw EVSE on off-peak, but my question is about a plug-in arrangement. Needless to say, there isn't much risk of the 240v 32 amp socket being used for anything but the EVSE, at least not in a residential situation.

Just checked pricing at https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products ..... RRP $US479 / $617 plus shipping for cheapest assembled 32 amp unit, although there may well have been a price drop recently. In any case that is around a third the cost of anything in Australia and OpenEVSE units are possibly more repairable than most.