Charging issues

MG EV Interest Group
Tuloula11
Noobie

Charging issues

Post by Tuloula11 »

Hi everyone.
Can anyone help me? When I fully charge my EV it is at 263km but when I turn it on it drops to 220km. Why does this happen?
The dealership I bought it from was so misleading with the information. I told them I travel extensively 3 to 4 times a year. To other states. Were they sure this car was a good fit for me!
They said I wouldn't have a problem charging all round Australia.
Well so far I've not been able to leave my home town because the next fast charger I would need to use is not working for my MG EV. on a full charge
I can connect it but it won't charge. One 35 min drive there and back(70min total) and I've only got 40-50km left. Is this normal?
They also told me that by plugging it in at home it would fully charge in 7 hours! Not my car, 14 hours plus and it's still only 80%. Is there something wrong with the car?

I'm finding it very hard to ask someone who knows what their
talking about.
Would appreciate any feedback.
antiscab

Re: Charging issues

Post by antiscab »

The 7 hour charge time would be with a 7kw charge point. There's a few options for that, cheapest being a 32A power point and a portable charge cable.

Charging off a normal power point at 8A or 10A does take 3 or 4 times longer. If it's still fast enough for you, I wouldn't spend the money for faster
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Is there a name/logo/brand on the fast charger? What town is it in?
Tuloula11
Noobie

Post by Tuloula11 »

Thankyou for your replies, new to this so please be good to me.

Firstly yes the long charge time is not a bother to me, just checking if it was correct. I was going to purchase a fast charge zappi or similar but it's costly to install. Might just leave that alone for now.
Secondly the charge point I was trying to charge at was in Miriam Vale in Queensland. I live in Gladstone.
I will say there was a very large frog that hopped out of the plug once I'd removed the cable. Lol just maybe it's done some damage. The start charge button didn't seem to want to work.
I cannot remember the name of the charing station. Sorry. I can find out though.
shallowal
Groupie

Post by shallowal »

Do you have the Chargefox app on your phone or a Chargefox ID card?. You need one or the other to identify yourself to Chargefox before you can charge at their stations, so that they know how to bill you.
There also several destination chargers around Gladstone that you can probably use, though they will be slower than the Chargefox units but faster than your home charging.
Have a look at plugshare https://www.plugshare.com/location/141348.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Mine says 220 also after a full charge but I assume memory develops over time of use/distance traveled.
I have a Zappi in order to take maximum advantage of the 11.88c/kWh fm 0000-0400.
It’ll pay for itself over time and a type2 charger will be an asset when selling I recon.
The ChargeFox app tells you how many chargers are working/available at their locations.
The Plugshare app is essential for planning and the expansion of sites is still in early days due to or inspite of the Feds.
There’s no going back for us .
reecho

Post by reecho »

Tuloula11 wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 09:37 Hi everyone.
Can anyone help me? When I fully charge my EV it is at 263km but when I turn it on it drops to 220km. Why does this happen?
Try turning off the heater/ AC and see what happens. It's normal for the range to drop when the HVAC activates especially when the heater is on.
Tuloula11 wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 09:37
They also told me that by plugging it in at home it would fully charge in 7 hours! Not my car, 14 hours plus and it's still only 80%. Is there something wrong with the car?
No problem with the MG.
The included charging cable plugs into a standard 10 amp GPO. It limits the MG to draw only 8 amps or about 1.9kw. Your battery is 44.5kWh. 44.5/1.9=23 hours to charge from flat to 100%. Say 25 hours with losses.

You can charge from 0% to 100% in 7 hours with a 32A single phase charger.
Last edited by reecho on Fri, 16 Apr 2021, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Also I'll add - assuming you get the Chargefox app/account etc. sorted - next time you're there, if still having issues this sign should help (including contact details):

Tuloula11
Noobie

Post by Tuloula11 »

Re: Chargefox app.
Yes I do have the app, all was going well until i plugged it in and nothing happened. I called the 1300 number but was left on hold way to long 3 times.
I'm heading that way today to give it another go! I'll let you know how I fare. 🙂
Tuloula11
Noobie

Post by Tuloula11 »

Nagaman wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 14:19 Mine says 220 also after a full charge but I assume memory develops over time of use/distance traveled.
I have a Zappi in order to take maximum advantage of the 11.88c/kWh fm 0000-0400.
It’ll pay for itself over time and a type2 charger will be an asset when selling I recon.
The ChargeFox app tells you how many chargers are working/available at their locations.
The Plugshare app is essential for planning and the expansion of sites is still in early days due to or inspite of the Feds.
I do have the Plugshare app as well as chargefox. I wish the dealership knew more about EV's .
I love my little car, it's quite a thrill to charge at home and not go to stinky servos.
I am in the process of maybe building a new house so haven't bought the Zappi as yet.
I did hear that fast charging wears out the battery quicker.
I'm such a novice on these matters, I believe almost what anyone says. Lol.
Thankyou for your feedback.
Tuloula11
Noobie

Post by Tuloula11 »

reecho wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 15:32
Try turning off the heater/ AC and see what happens. It's normal for the range to drop when the HVAC activates especially when the heater is on.
Thankyou for your feedback, I actually read this just after I posted my question. I'm happy that I now know why!

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed quoting. ]
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Tuloula11 wrote: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 06:24
Nagaman wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 14:19 Mine says 220 also after a full charge but I assume memory develops over time of use/distance traveled.
I do have the Plugshare app as well as chargefox. I wish the dealership knew more about EV's .
I love my little car, it's quite a thrill to charge at home and not go to stinky servos.
I am in the process of maybe building a new house so haven't bought the Zappi as yet.
I did hear that fast charging wears out the battery quicker.
I'm such a novice on these matters, I believe almost what anyone says. Lol.
Thankyou for your feedback.
We could hold our AGM in the local phone box unfortunately.

Your Zappi is AC and thus not the more aggressive DC ‘fast’ charger.
The ‘granny’ and Zappi chargers are both kind to your battery.
Use the DC fast chargers as little as possible, (eg long distance trips in minimum time) and you will be looking after your battery.
For range considerations use ‘Windy’ or the BOM’s MetEye because wind direction seriously matters.
shallowal
Groupie

Post by shallowal »

I sympathise with you regarding the Chargefox (and EVIE) charger apps. The Tritium chargers they use are a nightmare to get to work. Some people have no problem but on the very few occasions I have used them, I have had to make multiple attempts to get it to start charging.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

shallowal wrote: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 07:11 I sympathise with you regarding the Chargefox (and EVIE) charger apps. The Tritium chargers they use are a nightmare to get to work. Some people have no problem but on the very few occasions I have used them, I have had to make multiple attempts to get it to start charging.
I tried the ChargeFox one at Euroa yesterday and finally worked out that it detected my phone and was simply waiting for me to use it as the controller. It worked instantly that way because it’s got your account details.
shallowal
Groupie

Post by shallowal »

Maybe I have an unreasonable expectation of a paywave service. Waving the phone in front of the charge station and seeing the unlock occur signals to me that the provider
1. knows who I am,
2. Knows my billing details,
3. knows WHICH CHANRGER I am attempting to use
But still insists on waiting for some other action, or redoing the sequence in a different order, or doing a chicken dance in front of the station.

I dont know which one finally makes them work, but I'm leaning towards the chicken dance.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

shallowal wrote: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 13:40 Maybe I have an unreasonable expectation of a paywave service. Waving the phone in front of the charge station and seeing the unlock occur signals to me that the provider
1. knows who I am,
2. Knows my billing details,
3. knows WHICH CHANRGER I am attempting to use
But still insists on waiting for some other action, or redoing the sequence in a different order, or doing a chicken dance in front of the station.

I dont know which one finally makes them work, but I'm leaning towards the chicken dance.
I can see it now.......but there is another way.
The charging machine recognises you approaching it and simply wants you to open the app on your phone.....tap on the location.....swipe up to see all the listed chargers.......and select the one with the number you are in front of.
I just hope I remember this the next time I am forced to use one.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

reecho wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 15:32
Yes that's exactly right. Because that range is just a huge guess. As soon as you turn on anything with the aircon or heater, it drops to a max of 220 / 221 km. Even if you just turn the fan on (which is all I normally use — was a really mild summer in Sydney this year). Try toggling it on and off and see the range jump up and down. But of course, the fan uses hardly any power, it's just a dumb estimate... you'll get a lot more than 220 km out of it using only the fan. And you'll probably get less than 220 km if you have the aircon blasting on full.

Not to mention that it depends on wind, temperature, hills, speed (city vs highway), phase of the moon, etc. etc.

Best to look at your actual usage to get an idea of how far you can go (in the trip meter screen). For reference, after 3 months / 3000 km, according to the trip meter screen my long term usage is 13.9 kWh/ 100 km, doing 85% city driving. That's about 320 km from a full charge. (44.5÷13.9)
IMG_2908.jpg
IMG_2908.jpg (21.87 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The big killer is the radiator bar style heater rather than the reverse cycle a/c system which is the much touted improvement in the Model 3 HVAC of the latest version.
It’s hard enough pushing aside very cold air without having to run an old style radiator heater with the fan blowing air over it as well.