ZS EV Trip Planning adventures

MG EV Interest Group
Syridian
Noobie

ZS EV Trip Planning adventures

Post by Syridian »

Hi all,

I'm getting my new ZS EV on Friday and I'm just wondering about travelling around NSW. Thought I would start this topic to get first-hand experiences from real-world people travelling around Australia.

I'm specifically after hints and tips about travelling from Canberra to Sydney and Canberra to the Coast, but I'm happy to hear about other trips. My main concern with Canberra to the coast is the trip back up the ridge draining too much of the battery for the rest of the trip back to Canberra. So if people have done this trip I would love to hear about your experience. Things such as what to avoid, where to charge, whether to attempt the whole trip in one go, or plan for a long charge stay.

Syridian.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: ZS EV Trip Planning adventures

Post by coulomb »

Syridian wrote: Wed, 07 Apr 2021, 15:48 Thought I would start this topic to get first-hand experiences from real-world people travelling around Australia.
This is second hand news, but I talked to a ZS EV owner two EV catchups ago, and they have travelled in it to Canberra and Melbourne from Brisbane, so long trips have been done.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

First thing is to go to your PlugShare app and let it programme your adventure via the pubs, clubs and shopping expeditions and if desperate the odd camping ground etc.
Not being in a hurry is an advantage.
shallowal
Noobie

Post by shallowal »

I'd recommend ABRP (A Better Route Planner) to do some planning of trips. It is well regarded for accuracy wrt to vehicle type and allows for weather conditions.
FyKnight
Noobie

Post by FyKnight »

Make sure you check on PlugShare for broken chargers before you go. I've been caught out a couple of times where I couldn't charge, and could easily have checked beforehand.

A good option for a stopover on the way to Sydney is Mittagong. The NRMA rapid charger in the R-ey worked great with my ZS EV (at a rate of 46 kW) when I tried it a couple of months ago I note that it's currently listed as broken in PlugShare though! The food there is pretty okay too. The charger is often busy so be prepared to wait. There's another two (slower) charging options in Mittagong if you have the adapters for Type 2 (J1772 and Tesla). I haven't tried them yet — don't have those adapters.

Please come back and let us know how you go with your trips! :)