Ultra fast charging for 2015 i3 REX

BMW i3 discussion forum
johc
Noobie

Ultra fast charging for 2015 i3 REX

Post by johc »

I have a 2015 i3 REX, which was fitted with a CCS1 DC charging port. When the new fast chargers, such as the NRMA's, (with CCS2 connection) , came out I acquired an adapter cable and this has worked well with the DC fast charging. Now that ultra fast DC chargers are available (with CCS2) I am tempted to give them a go. However, the difference in power is considerable (350 kW vs 50 kW) and I am not sure if the car's battery will take it. BMW simply say that adapters should not be used, and an enquiry to chargefox has not produced any response. If anyone has had any experience with using the ultra-fast DC chargers, I would be very grateful to hear about it.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Re: Ultra fast charging for 2015 i3 REX

Post by EVdownUnder »

Wait for a second opinion as I don’t want to be responsible for difficult yo explain insurance claim...
The car sets the charging speed. Not the charger. My Kona can only charge at 77kW whether I use a 100, 150 or a 350kW charger. And an adapter will not change that. If the charger and the car successfully “handshake”, the charge will start and eventually reach the highest power the car can accept. If the “handshake” fails, no charge will start.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 September 2020 (1 year of ownership)
36'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
reecho

Post by reecho »

johc wrote: Mon, 14 Sep 2020, 20:47 However, the difference in power is considerable (350 kW vs 50 kW) and I am not sure if the car's battery will take it. BMW simply say that adapters should not be used, and an
It's the car that determines max charging power so plugging into 350kw chargers won't make it go any higher and the adaptor will likely be fine.
johc
Noobie

Post by johc »

Thanks to you both for the feedback. I will give it a go next time I am going through Goulburn (if I'm feeling brave !).
Nobody Famous
Noobie

Post by Nobody Famous »

I’ve used the Shell Cove Chargefox 350kW and got 48kW peak with the Duosida cable mentioned elsewhere on this forum. There are also photos on PlugShare. Cable didn’t break a sweat 😓, well under the 150A rating.

johc
Noobie

Post by johc »

Thanks for that - good to see it in action.