CCS 1 BMW i3's

BMW i3 discussion forum
rhills
Site Admin

Re: CCS 1 BMW i3's

Post by rhills »

@Brookster, as a newcomer you may not yet have it visible but there is a feature available in this forum to run simple surveys ("Polls") so if you'd rather go that way, we can set one up for you. Here is a simple tutorial on setting up a poll which will give you a bit of an idea what is possible. Note however you may not yet have permissions to start a poll yourself but one of the forum Admins can set one up for you if that's the case

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km
The_gadabouts
Noobie

Post by The_gadabouts »

Brookster wrote: Tue, 18 Feb 2020, 07:10 Happy to set up a survey monkey and gather numbers to approach ACCC to seek BMW to retro fit type 2 inlet ports as they did in NZ. If I get some interest!
I’m in.

Charlottesykora at hotmail dot com
Feminismisfun
Noobie

Post by Feminismisfun »

Hi @brookster, I’m also interested. I called BMW about the conversion last week and they quoted me $5,500.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Ask no questions as to where this came from - but here are the official BMW costings for the change-over:
Attachments
BMWi3 CCS2 costs.jpg
BMWi3 CCS2 costs.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1738 times
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

It's unfortunate that BMW Australia isn't just doing this as a matter of course as BMW NZ did when they made the same decision several years ago.

If you do set up an external survey, please share the link here so it can be shared with other BMW owners (such as those who don't use this forum, etc).
TAB
Noobie

Post by TAB »

To Terry C or the gadabouts or anyone else that decided to take on BMW about being in breach of consumer Law, i am very very keen to talk to you asap. I have taken on BMW and the best they have offered is a 30% discount off the 2600 price to retrofit to the ccs2 adaptor. Were you successful in getting them to do it for free or get a bigger discount? How did you do it? Your help will be very appreciated. Thank you
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Not BMW, but when I had issues with Mitsubishi, I spoke to our local State Consumer Affairs department. They told me the legislation to quote.

My initial discussions with the local dealer hit a blank wall "this is how it is, no negotiation". After discussing with our State Consumer Affairs people, I emailed the dealer back, quoting the legislation I had been told to quote and telling them I had discussed it with Consumer Affairs. They backed down immediately.

So contact your State Consumer Affairs department!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km
TerryC
Noobie

Post by TerryC »

TAB wrote: Thu, 26 Mar 2020, 13:52 To Terry C or the gadabouts or anyone else that decided to take on BMW about being in breach of consumer Law, i am very very keen to talk to you asap. I have taken on BMW and the best they have offered is a 30% discount off the 2600 price to retrofit to the ccs2 adaptor. Were you successful in getting them to do it for free or get a bigger discount? How did you do it? Your help will be very appreciated. Thank you
Hi its 28/4/2020 it has taken 6 months but finally a result. BMW Australia refused to talk to me. BMW North Shore ignored many emails but eventually came back with the offer they would pay for all parts but I would have to pay $1000 for labour. Not good enough, as I would then have to buy a new BMW trickle charger and a new cable for my home charger, so in all $3000 on me. I refused and took to Consumer Affairs, on the day Consumer Affairs called me she took my proposal of a $1500 refund from the dealer so that I may buy an adaptor, within an hour after speaking to the dealer she came back and said the dealer has agreed to refund $1500. I then ordered an adaptor from EVSE.com which with expedited delivery and currency conversion came to $1497. After 6 stupid months problem solved, BMW have shown complete contempt of their customers in this regard and while their cars are amazing their understanding of electric car ownership and customer care is atrocious. They will never get repeat business with this kind of behaviour when the likes of Tesla do not leave customers stranded unable to charge a vehicle. Dumbest move I have ever seen from a car company and they consider themselves, premium.
TerryC
Noobie

Post by TerryC »

The_gadabouts wrote: Sun, 12 Jan 2020, 15:53
TerryC wrote: Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 16:12 Hello, I read this forum with interest as I also failed to use the Chargefox DC charger in Newcastle due to the issue my 2016 94amh i3 is fitted with the CCS Type1 socket and yet all Australian DC chargers use the Type2 plug. Having had my Ford Fiesta replaced by Ford for a issue after 2 years and my Holden Volt fully refunded after 3 years for unavailability of parts, I have come to fully understand Australian consumer law. I am about to take issue with BMW Australia as my much loved i3 was sold to me on the basis that when it became available in Australia I would be able to DC fast charge this vehicle. This as it turns out was misleading and anything sold under these circumstances under Australia consumer law the clear end result comes under the 3 R's Rectify, Remuniate or Refund the choice being up to the buyer. It is clear BMW has made a mistake fitting the original i3 with a USA standard Type1 socket when Europe was fitting the Type2 it is also clear BMW should not have claimed you could in future DC charge the i3. Technically they have no leg to stand on, by consumer law they are required to retrofit the correct socket, compensate the owner or fully refund the vehicle. Personally it would be in their interest to certify and supply for free an adaptor cable which is what I shall be seeking. My advice to all owners is know your rights as its their fault not yours do not believe what a dealer or BMW may tell you, your real rights are very clear under Australian Consumer Law.
Hi TerryC,

I have been sending some messages back and forth with BMW Australia and I3 Germany to not avail. I am very keen to speak with you regarding this as I believe they have an obligation to make good.
Hi its 28/4/2020 it has taken 6 months but finally a result. BMW Australia refused to talk to me. BMW North Shore ignored many emails but eventually came back with the offer they would pay for all parts but I would have to pay $1000 for labour. Not good enough, as I would then have to buy a new BMW trickle charger and a new cable for my home charger, so in all $3000 on me. I refused and took to Consumer Affairs, on the day Consumer Affairs called me she took my proposal of a $1500 refund from the dealer so that I may buy an adaptor, within an hour after speaking to the dealer she came back and said the dealer has agreed to refund $1500. I then ordered an adaptor from EVSE.com which with expedited delivery and currency conversion came to $1497. After 6 stupid months problem solved, BMW have shown complete contempt of their customers in this regard and while their cars are amazing their understanding of electric car ownership and customer care is atrocious. They will never get repeat business with this kind of behaviour when the likes of Tesla do not leave customers stranded unable to charge a vehicle. Dumbest move I have ever seen from a car company and they consider themselves, premium.
Coho
Noobie

Post by Coho »

nunitas wrote: Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 02:24
Coho wrote: Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 18:35 The HV Cable set CCS 2, the type 2 plug cover and the CCS2 surrounding plate. The HV Cable set is the expensive one. I'm hoping any bolts and nuts will be the ones off my car. I believe the existing Cable set connects to the KLE. I'm hoping the connector will fit onto the KLE with no problems as the new HV cable set is three phase...I'll find out soon enough.
Hi, could you share more experience (and part numbers if possible) - what exactly was needed for conversion? Does HV cable set need any conversion or is it a plug&play on KLE side - as I understand you've used three phase cable set for one phase KLE, haven't you?
It's been a few years since I did the conversion so my memory may be a bit hazy on it... The cable set on the DC side is a straight plug in. The 3 phase car side connector needs to be swapped with the original single phase connector. (terminate the unused phases). The car then needs to be coded. In the end you have the same single phase charger car with DC but the car is now CCS2 and works with the fast chargers with no adapter. For me it's great as it's easier for anyone else using the car to not have to worry about adapters.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

RACWA have done their gen 1 Rex for $3128
Last edited by g4qber on Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 51
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Peter.Gorton
Noobie

Post by Peter.Gorton »

I had my 2014 BEV converted by BMW in Canberra from CCS1 to CCS2 for about #k. Works great - "just like a bought one".
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

CCS1 to CCS2 cables are getting cheaper. Just saying there is a cheaper option. AU$637.66 on AliExpress. About half the price they used to be.
Khons 150A CE TUV CCS Combo 2 to Combo 1 DC Quick Charger Adapter With 0.5m UL Cable Charging Station
2016 BMW i3 94AH
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 29.7 kWh(13/08/2018)
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 28.7 kWh(22/06/2020)
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Peter.Gorton wrote: Sat, 25 Jul 2020, 15:28 I had my 2014 BEV converted by BMW in Canberra from CCS1 to CCS2 for about #k. Works great - "just like a bought one".
Is that a typo #k = 3k?
Can u now charge at 11kw 3 phase type 2?
Ie. they also swapped out the single phase 7kw for 3 phase 11kw KLE?
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 51
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Barry.Norsworthy
Noobie

Post by Barry.Norsworthy »

g4qber wrote: Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 11:38
Peter.Gorton wrote: Sat, 25 Jul 2020, 15:28 I had my 2014 BEV converted by BMW in Canberra from CCS1 to CCS2 for about #k. Works great - "just like a bought one".
Is that a typo #k = 3k?
Can u now charge at 11kw 3 phase type 2?
Ie. they also swapped out the single phase 7kw for 3 phase 11kw KLE?
Hi Peter.
Have tried BMW Adelaide and they came back with a quote of $2500 to change over. Assume that does not include the trickle charger. I advised them that I will now go to consumer affairs.
Kelly, the girl I am dealing with at Adelaide BMW said she will put a case together for the 4 people who have contacted Adelaide BMW re this issue and try again with BMW Australia.
Just checking on how you went with BMW Canberra. What is #K cost ? Did you get a trickle charger included etc. ?
best regards
Barry Norsworthy
ps have not kept your phone number. sorry
lukeh5
Noobie

Post by lukeh5 »

I am Sydney based and also have CCS1 in my 2017 i3 94Ah.
I am also following this thread to see what are options to convert to CCS2. CCS1 is completely useless in Australia.
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

lukeh5 wrote: Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 18:01 CCS1 is completely useless in Australia.
Not completely. There is a fast DC charger at North Wollongong University on Innovation Way that still has a CCS1 plug.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 29.7 kWh(13/08/2018)
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 28.7 kWh(22/06/2020)
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

lopezjm2001 wrote: Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 20:39 Not completely. There is a fast DC charger at North Wollongong University on Innovation Way that still has a CCS1 plug.
The count of such chargers are in the single digits I think. Many are not being supported by their installer, many have been or are being replaced with CCS2 and there certainly aren't enough of them to reliably travel between major cities and regional centres.

I'm not an i3 owner so it's probably not my place, but I don't think we should worry about designing/making/buying adaptors and instead pressure BMW Australia to support/subsidise the replacement of CCS1 ports with CCS2 for their vehicles. This is what BMW New Zealand did - I understand the changeover was free. ChargeNet NZ replaced all CCS1 cables on any of their chargers with CCS2 at the same time. AEVA could possibly lend their support to this, if there are any members who are CCS1 i3 owners who would be interested in pushing for this?
Nobody Famous
Noobie

Post by Nobody Famous »

lukeh5 wrote: Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 18:01 I am Sydney based and also have CCS1 in my 2017 i3 94Ah.
I am also following this thread to see what are options to convert to CCS2. CCS1 is completely useless in Australia.
Buy an adapter by Duosida
https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=6581

Keeping the J1772 socket means the Granny cable still works and you can use the Chargepoint stations with tethered cables.