EASun isolar smv 3kva stopping 10min

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
jdevine82
Noobie

EASun isolar smv 3kva stopping 10min

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi everyone

I am installing a brand new easun 3kw 24v inverter. Looks similar to the pip3024??

The problem I am having is that after 10mins the unit shuts down and displays u1 09 53 on the display. I have only battery power connected at this time. I have tried all sorts of settings in the mode operation mode options but nothing seems to work. Any clues?

Thanks
Jason
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: EASun isolar smv 3kva stopping 10min

Post by coulomb »

jdevine82 wrote: Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 16:41 Hi everyone
Welcome.
I am installing a brand new easun 3kw 24v inverter. Looks similar to the pip3024??
It's probably the same thing as a PIP-3024MS.
The problem I am having is that after 10mins the unit shuts down and displays u1 09 53 on the display.
U1 09 53 is a normal display item; it's the main firmware version number (09.53). If you press up or down buttons, do you see this change? Perhaps by pressing the UP button, do you see input voltage on the left and load power in watts on the right? The DOWN button (from the U1 screen) will probably take you to a screen with U2 00 00. Usually the zeroes would be replaced by the SCC version number, but you say you have only battery connected, so the SCC can't talk to the DSP, so the version number will be zero.

Is the red fault LED on at all?
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi Coulomb
Well these numbers only come up when the inverter turns off. The fault light does come on and the up down and enter buttons don't respond. The logs said line_fault but only as a warning if that helps. Only way to get power back is turn off and on again. It seems like a setting issue like wrong mode or something but after trying every combination of modes it still doesn't run for more than 10 mins. Feels like software. The output loads up fine and fans turn on. New lifepo4 pack so no voltage sag issues. Obviously I am trying to go back through with the seller being brand new but I am not hopeful on that front. Let me know if there is any steps, even technical if needed that would help diagnose this.

Thanks
Jason
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

jdevine82 wrote: Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 20:54 Well these numbers only come up when the inverter turns off.
By "inverter" here, I assume you mean the electronics that generates the AC output, not the whole thing.
The fault light does come on and the up down and enter buttons don't respond.
Ah. So you're seeing something like this?

Fault code 90.jpg
Fault code 90.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Except you see "09" instead of "90" in the middle? And you're seeing the ERROR indicator just beside the 09 (indicated in red)?

I don't understand why you see U1 to the left or 53 to the right. It's almost like the DSP has crashed and the screen has random junk on it, with possibly the fault code 09 being valid.

Fault code 09 is the dreaded bus soft start. It usually happens when there is a catastrophic failure of the MOSFETs and/or IGBTs, but your machine comes good after powering on.

If I have the above correct, then a photo of the fault screen sent to your supplier should speed things up a fair bit. You should definitely not be seeing fault code 09 with a brand new machine.

I see a lot of EASun models. Does it look like this? With the heatsink fins on the top?

http://www.easunpower.com/uploads/allim ... FGK949.jpg
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi
This is the unit http://www.easunpower.com/uploads/allim ... P94249.jpg
This is the screen. Also the beeper sounds continuously at same time.
IMG_20210321_193442642.jpg
IMG_20210321_193442642.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1628 times
Sorry picture taken without flash. Red light is the fault light.

Yes definitely not a main bus short.

Jason
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 20:29
jdevine82 wrote: Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 16:41 I am installing a brand new easun 3kw 24v inverter. Looks similar to the pip3024??
It's probably the same thing as a PIP-3024MS.
Oh. From the image you linked to, it appears that it's actually closest to an Axpert VM 2000-24, since that's the only model Voltronic that I can find that has the older LCD (no hexagons) and round power button. There isn't an MPPSolar version of this model.

Axpert V models.jpg
Axpert V models.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Then again, it could be Voltronic being slack and not putting all their products on their web page. I note that it's still not 100% certain that EASun are a legitimate Voltronic Power reseller, or a clone maker, though I've guessed it at about 95% certain. I downloaded EASun's ISolar SMV 3KW User Manual, and it's definitely in the style of Voltronic Power manuals. But it might be a good copy and paste job.

I don't know the 24 V models well, but the U1 screen with the error LED on and no ERROR LCD segment on is very strange to me. It doesn't seem like Voltronic Power firmware behaviour, but again, that could be because the smaller models behave differently. I don't have any 09.XX firmware in my collection, but 24 V firmwares don't seem to turn up all that often, and I don't actively seek them either. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Edit: another possibility is that EASun asked Voltronic Power to make them an Axpert VM 3000-24 with the same display as an Axpert VM 2000-24. It looks like the cases are much the same size, so it might be as simple as swapping over the metalwork and LC Display. [ Edit: though I wonder how the "combined up and down button" thing would work with firmware expecting 4 buttons. ] Some resellers, e.g. Inverex, do seem to get custom modifications of basically standard Voltronic Power models, so that could be what's happening here.

Edit 2: Yet another possibility is that Voltronic may have refreshed all their VM and VP models with the round power button style, and haven't updated their web page to reflect this.
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi all
In the hope of any assistance and in the name of documentation I have a Google link to a video of the problem and internal pictures. I was hoping to find a blocked fan or something. There was one Earth screw missing that seemed to be connected on the board so popped a screw in that. Still no joy.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JXZuXBDPW2qW3i46

Jason
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi all
Just adding some more information about the fault. Today I added solar charging. The fault interrupts the solar charging mode that operates while the inverter is turned off too. I also discovered that if I have the menu up and the 5 minutes of run time is up the inverter stops and the fault light comes on but the menu I am in stays up. Also, I don't know if it just because the PV caps are large and the inverter is off when it faults but when charging and the fault occurs I can no longer turn the inverter of and reset the fault with the front button. I have to disconnect the battery.

I am hopeful that these more clues can help narrow down what part or what section of the firmware is at fault.

Jason
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

jdevine82 wrote: Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 15:25 The fault interrupts the solar charging mode that operates while the inverter is turned off too.
That makes some sense. Charging requires interaction between the DSP and the Solar Charge Controller. Though charging can happen in fault mode, either by utility (with some limitations, I imagine) or from solar. My guess is that some of the firmware has crashed. The firmware (at least in true Voltronic models) is organised as half a dozen tasks; I believe that one or more could crash while the rest are still working. The crashed task would presumably still be allocated CPU time, giving them the opportunity to scribble over memory needed by other tasks, possibly causing them to crash. It seems that the task responsible for solar charging is crashed, but since you usually can turn off the machine with the soft button, that means that the supervisory task (that listens to the on/off soft button) is still running.
I also discovered that if I have the menu up ...
Do you mean that you are in configuration mode, viewing and potentially changing a setting? Or just viewing data with the up/down buttons?
and the 5 minutes of run time is up the inverter stops and the fault light comes on but the menu I am in stays up.
By "stays up" do you mean it's frozen on the LC Display or it's still active, allowing you to change a setting with up/down buttons (without necessarily saving)?
when it faults but when charging and the fault occurs I can no longer turn the inverter of and reset the fault with the front button. I have to disconnect the battery.
That suggests that in this mode, the supervisory task has crashed as well.

This all points to either extremely badly written firmware, or more likely just corrupted firmware. Or possibly a DSP chip that is failing as soon as it warms up.

It sounds like merely reloading the firmware is the most useful step you can do at this stage. I suggest doing this soon after the machine has been turned off for a while, in case the DSP really is faulty (that's a pretty rare case, I would guess), so the reflash process doesn't crash before the DSP fails (again, if it's going to). If it does start reflashing, and gets to say 75% and stops, and you try it again and it gets to say 73%, that would indicate a DSP failure, and you need a new control board. They will likely need photos of your serial number. But I suspect there is a pretty good chance that it was just some glitch that affected the flash image, and reloading might well fix it.

The hassle will be obtaining a firmware update file, even if it's not strictly an update (same version number as you have now). Though if it works, it will be an update from 09.53 not working to 09.53 working. I'd call that an upgrade! 😁 Is your supplier being communicative?
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi
Yes when viewing/changing items in menu it stays there but the fault led and beeper and output turns off. I can continue to alter things in the menu. I am hopeful that it is not temperature related as the timing seems to very repeatable. I agree this feels like firmware. The seller is "talking to their engineer" which I have found most of the time to mean the 15yr old boy out the back who packs the boxes, still I am hopeful. If I get some firmware I will share it here.
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

The seller refused to give the firmware so we are still waiting for the control motherboard to arrive. Long time from purchase till now with a brand new machine not working..

Jason
jdevine82
Noobie

Post by jdevine82 »

Hi all an update. Seller forgot to send replacement board. Had to open PayPal case. We will see what happens. Sorry no more technical info.