WA FIT reduced to 3c/kwh

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
antiscab

WA FIT reduced to 3c/kwh

Post by antiscab »

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/wa- ... f-slashed/

I'm actually all for the FIT being the same as the wholesale rate

I'm thinking, now that the FIT isn't being subsidised, us WA folk should be pushing for the arbitrary 5kw inverter size limit to be abolished. Western Power will authorise up to 10kw/phase at present, it's just synergy won't pay a FIT if the inverter is bigger than 5kw (which sucks)

I wonder how many people hassling the energy minister (Bill Johnston) it would take to result in Synergy being directed to remove the under 5kw requirement to be eligible for the FIT

I found the easiest way was to use the Solar citizens webform (but for obvious reasons change the wording)
https://www.solarcitizens.org.au/wa_sol ... it_cut&n=2
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
brendon_m

Re: WA FIT reduced to 3c/kwh

Post by brendon_m »

The logical move would be to have more time of use tariffs. Cheap power between 10am and 3pm and jack up the price from 3pm to 9pm. The FIT change won't alter anyone's actions as there's still no real incentive to use power when there is no demand. Not to mention the change is only for new installs everyone else gets to keep the 7¢ (unless they elect to change or modify the system).

I guess more new installs will point West instead of North but it doesn't matter how West the panels face you won't be generating in the late evening.
If only there was an electrical device that could be incentivised /subsidised that could soak up a lot of the excess solar energy during the day and be hooked up so it can push power back into the grid when it's in high demand....
Last edited by brendon_m on Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
brendon_m wrote: Wed, 02 Sep 2020, 16:15 If only the was an electrical device that could be incentivised /subsidised that could soak up a lot of the excess solar energy during the day and be hooked up so it can push power back into the grid when it's in high demand....
Wow!

I had an idea for such a device: I thought make it out of nickel & iron, add some KOH & H2O, stir, don't shake. It's only 80% efficient, but better than wasting all that electricity. I call it a battery.

What do you think?

Plenty of iron & nickel in WA.

Lots of idle labour in Victoria to build them. We could form a partnership.

dRdoS7.
adam lippiatt
Noobie

Post by adam lippiatt »

Matt has a good point. I am not sure of the reasoning for the 5kW limit, whether technical or related to Synergy having the obligation to buy our spilled solar.

I thought the now grandfathered FiT at flat 7.1c was effectively the value of generation, that is an energy price with embedded capacity payments - but of course this hasn't travelled well with the increase in solar. Still, the 3c/10c FiT isn't quite right - if you were looking to value solar then it would reflect both the morning and evening peaks (3-9pm is just the same peak period for the current ToU tariff offered by Synergy). I know there is a metering issue with slicing and dicing the price periods too much, but even my meter from 2013 can deal with 4 different price periods for generation in a day.

So, Synergy still has the obligation to buy, but it is not having to pay much for the surplus in the middle of the day. The kW limit should be a technical issue only on that basis (and a decision for the owner as to where they place their panels / how much they get).

When we write to Bill, perhaps we can reflect Brendon's good point about more tariff options since full retail contestability has been abandoned. It would be good for many to have access to tariffs more closely reflecting the balancing price which might give people a price incentive to use /store electricity in periods of high renewable generation and to reduce / stop use when renewable generation is lower or overall system use is at its peak (when our contribution to capacity costs are set).
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

dRdoS7 wrote: Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 04:39 Hi,
brendon_m wrote: Wed, 02 Sep 2020, 16:15 If only the was an electrical device that could be incentivised /subsidised that could soak up a lot of the excess solar energy during the day and be hooked up so it can push power back into the grid when it's in high demand....
Wow!

I had an idea for such a device: I thought make it out of nickel & iron, add some KOH & H2O, stir, don't shake. It's only 80% efficient, but better than wasting all that electricity. I call it a battery.

What do you think?

Plenty of iron & nickel in WA.

Lots of idle labour in Victoria to build them. We could form a partnership.

dRdoS7.
Plenty of zinc about and bromide can be extracted from sea water and we have a good supply of that near the coast. Then we could make flow batteries. Charge it up from the solar and switch on an off grid inverter when you needed the stored energy. I seem to remember a big sales pitch from the Redflow battery people at the Adelaide conference and the installer bloke saying that Victron were supplying them inverters that could pull the battery very low to ensure the plates got stripped each cycle.
Still think refining the lithium mined in Australia on shore and building a battery manufacturing plant would be the better option. Let the Chinese see what it's like to loose a major export product.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn