12v lithium batteries can't be paralleled?

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Paul9
Groupie

12v lithium batteries can't be paralleled?

Post by Paul9 »

Hi people,

My brother wants to buy 2 or 3 12v lithium batteries about 100ah each with internal BMS for his camping trips. We were hunting around for suppliers and found a brand called Voltax but the website says they can't be used in parallel only in series. We found other brands but they do not mention this restriction.

Could someone clear me up on this please?
Thanks
Paul
brendon_m

Re: 12v lithium batteries can't be paralleled?

Post by brendon_m »

Normally it's the other way, ie they can't be used in series
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think the BMS might not like the cascade in the event of a low or high battery. If one BMS goes open circuit, the others are still closed, but the load on them increases by a third. Until one of those goes open circuit, and the whole load is being borne by the one remaining. And then it goes.

Presumably :?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

I just checked and it definitely says they can't be paralleled but it is ok to link two in series to give you 24 v.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Paul
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
jonescg wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 17:21 I think the BMS might not like the cascade in the event of a low or high battery. If one BMS goes open circuit, the others are still closed, but the load on them increases by a third. Until one of those goes open circuit, and the whole load is being borne by the one remaining. And then it goes.

Presumably :?
As long as the user stays within the limits of the battery's BMS, i.e. Max. current draw, it shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then the batteries aren't up to spec.

dRdoS7.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

The voltax batteries are pretty cheap ($580 for 100Ah) which made my spider sense tingle.
The specs are rated to 50A max (20A recommended). Ok for running light loads like LED lights for long periods but don't expect an inverter to run off it.
That's no doubt a limitation of the cheap bms that they have used but possibly the cells as well.

Not quite as cheap ($875 for 120Ah) as those voltax ones but pretty close and these can be put in parallel and series up to 24v and are good for 300A
https://www.ev-power.com.au/product/bat-evh12v120ah/
(website says no stock but everything look it says that, so maybe the website doesn't get updated much)
And they are from someone I trust.
Last edited by brendon_m on Sun, 10 May 2020, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Thanks guys

Advice appreciated!

Paul
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Lithium batteries inherently have a very low internal resistance. if you attempt to parallel multiple 12v batteries, one battery will do all the work until it fails and that will kill the other batteries in parallel. This also goes for the maximum current load and continuous current load, they will not share that load over multiple parallel batteries, so if the limit for one battery is 50 amps, no matter how many batteries you put in parallel the limit is still 50 amps. If the BMS in the battery doing all the work fails, the next in line as far as resistance gets all the load until it fails and so on. A warranty claim will be rejected because the BMS capacity was exceeded.
We do get a bit of work from making these multiple 12v batteries sort of work together after one battery in the group fails, the supplier replaces it after a fight but refuses to replace any more if they fail claiming it must be the way you installed them if they keep failing.
Recharging is the next problem, the battery with the least resistance will charge first, when it reaches the end of charge voltage the charger drops into float. To get the battery with the longest leads and highest resistance to fully charge, the battery with the lowest resistance must have its terminal voltage climb way higher than is suitable for extended battery life.
Just because the voltage is the same across all the batteries in parallel doesn't mean they will all remain at a common state of charge, one will remain virtually fully charged while one gets worked very hard because the voltage will not drop until the weakest cell is fully discharged, well beyond the 0% SOC. In severe situations the weakest cell will suffer with reverse current flow destroying the cell in a matter of minutes.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:40 Lithium batteries inherently have a very low internal resistance. if you attempt to parallel multiple 12v batteries, one battery will do all the work until it fails and that will kill the other batteries in parallel. This also goes for the maximum current load and continuous current load, they will not share that load over multiple parallel batteries, so if the limit for one battery is 50 amps, no matter how many batteries you put in parallel the limit is still 50 amps. If the BMS in the battery doing all the work fails, the next in line as far as resistance gets all the load until it fails and so on. A warranty claim will be rejected because the BMS capacity was exceeded.
We do get a bit of work from making these multiple 12v batteries sort of work together after one battery in the group fails, the supplier replaces it after a fight but refuses to replace any more if they fail claiming it must be the way you installed them if they keep failing.
Recharging is the next problem, the battery with the least resistance will charge first, when it reaches the end of charge voltage the charger drops into float. To get the battery with the longest leads and highest resistance to fully charge, the battery with the lowest resistance must have its terminal voltage climb way higher than is suitable for extended battery life.
Just because the voltage is the same across all the batteries in parallel doesn't mean they will all remain at a common state of charge, one will remain virtually fully charged while one gets worked very hard because the voltage will not drop until the weakest cell is fully discharged, well beyond the 0% SOC. In severe situations the weakest cell will suffer with reverse current flow destroying the cell in a matter of minutes.
I've only had my 2 Solarking 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries, in parallel in our caravan, for just under a year, but that hasn't been my experience. So far.

Only problems I've found are:

Needed a good battery meter/monitor, & also a DC-DC/MPPT charger. I did have a VIctron MPPT, but removed it to keep the battery compartment devices down, and less cabling.

The internal BMS for each is limited to 80A continuous/160A for 10 seconds. I also thought that there was a 100A for 30 seconds in the specs., but must have read that for another brand. I can happily draw > 190A for a few minutes. Tested it with an 1800W kettle, about 1/4 full. Batteries drop from 13.6V (float) to 11.6V, then back up to ~13V when the load is removed (I.E. Water has boiled :lol: ).

Two interconnecting cables are same lengths, as are the cables to the fuse, shunt, inverter & distribution point.

parallel-battery-connection.jpg
parallel-battery-connection.jpg (17.63 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

Only diff. I have is twin cables between each of the batteries. My battery's poles are at each end. Which I much prefer.

The wires from the chargers go to the other battery +ve. All -ve cables/wires go to the shunt.

When I installed the Victron BMV-712, after our first trip, I discharged the battery bank to the low voltage cutout point of the 1st battery charger, which is also the fuses & distribution point. 206Ah. I ran the toaster, coffee pod machine & occasionally the kettle during the test. No solar or AC charging connected.

Time will tell of course. They may fail tomorrow.

I had a different meter at first, and did some testing with that, but it oveheated on one end just running the toaster which was drawing about 65A. Took it out, and it's working fine on my 48V home system. I think it was a poor joint between the mounted circuit board and the shunt. I've separated them, and run wires from the shunt to the board. So, our first trip I had no idea who much we'd had used. Ran out of juice after 3 1/2 days stopped in 1 place. No solar (or at least very little).

I did ask the seller about using the 2 batteries in parallel, and he was not concerned. It says in the specs. parallel & series is fine. They have a 5 year warranty, and there's a proper store to call/visit if I do have problems. They're an hour up the road. But like any business, they might not be there tomorrow. It happens. There's always the distributor to fall back on.

I've run the kettle a few more times recently, running the batteries down, only a bit each time ATM, so I can test the new DC-DC charger's MPPT, and my new solar panels. I may do another full capacity test before we go away. If we can go away mid June. :? <-1.5m -> :(

If I do have any probs, I'll post here.

dRdoS7
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

you would be better dismantling the battery's and getting the cells out of them and using just 1 of the BMS's

you couldnt pay me enough to gang up a bunch of cheap ass chines BMS's
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

HI,
Adverse Effects wrote: Wed, 13 May 2020, 14:31 you would be better dismantling the battery's and getting the cells out of them and using just 1 of the BMS's
Why would I do that and void my warranty?

dRdoS7
Adverse Effects

dRdoS7 wrote: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:18 HI,
Adverse Effects wrote: Wed, 13 May 2020, 14:31 you would be better dismantling the battery's and getting the cells out of them and using just 1 of the BMS's

dRdoS7
so you read the first line of my post but not the 2nd?

because the 2nd line explanes what you are asking

dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
Adverse Effects wrote: Fri, 15 May 2020, 07:35
dRdoS7 wrote: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:18 HI,

dRdoS7
so you read the first line of my post but not the 2nd?

because the 2nd line explanes what you are asking
This?
Adverse Effects wrote: Wed, 13 May 2020, 14:31 you couldnt pay me enough to gang up a bunch of cheap ass chines BMS's
I read it, and didn't think it was worth replying too.

If one BMS is OK to keep, both are.

As I said, I have a 5 year warranty, why would I void it?

dRdoS7.
Adverse Effects

would you put a V8 to drive 1 back wheel in a car and a 4 banger to drive the other wheel?

that will happen from the miss match in power input and output?

the "quality" (and i use the word extremely loosely) will most likely cause trouble and you wont see it till its to late

and i bet that the " 5 year warranty" isnt worth the paper it is printed on.

they will come up with some claws that will make it not applicable and not valid

you ever seen the inside of those lith battery's? i'll look for the video i am thinking of where a guy cuts 1 open

Adverse Effects

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

they will come up with some claws that will make it not applicable and not valid
Love it, if was intentional or not, can I use it in future or are you going to copy write it :D

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

dRdoS7 wrote: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:09 Hi,

I've only had my 2 Solarking 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries, in parallel in our caravan, for just under a year, but that hasn't been my experience. So far.

Only problems I've found are:

Needed a good battery meter/monitor, & also a DC-DC/MPPT charger. I did have a VIctron MPPT, but removed it to keep the battery compartment devices down, and less cabling.

The internal BMS for each is limited to 80A continuous/160A for 10 seconds. I also thought that there was a 100A for 30 seconds in the specs., but must have read that for another brand. I can happily draw > 190A for a few minutes. Tested it with an 1800W kettle, about 1/4 full. Batteries drop from 13.6V (float) to 11.6V, then back up to ~13V when the load is removed (I.E. Water has boiled :lol: ).

Two interconnecting cables are same lengths, as are the cables to the fuse, shunt, inverter & distribution point.

parallel-battery-connection.jpg

Only diff. I have is twin cables between each of the batteries. My battery's poles are at each end. Which I much prefer.

The wires from the chargers go to the other battery +ve. All -ve cables/wires go to the shunt.

When I installed the Victron BMV-712, after our first trip, I discharged the battery bank to the low voltage cutout point of the 1st battery charger, which is also the fuses & distribution point. 206Ah. I ran the toaster, coffee pod machine & occasionally the kettle during the test. No solar or AC charging connected.

Time will tell of course. They may fail tomorrow.

I had a different meter at first, and did some testing with that, but it oveheated on one end just running the toaster which was drawing about 65A. Took it out, and it's working fine on my 48V home system. I think it was a poor joint between the mounted circuit board and the shunt. I've separated them, and run wires from the shunt to the board. So, our first trip I had no idea who much we'd had used. Ran out of juice after 3 1/2 days stopped in 1 place. No solar (or at least very little).

I did ask the seller about using the 2 batteries in parallel, and he was not concerned. It says in the specs. parallel & series is fine. They have a 5 year warranty, and there's a proper store to call/visit if I do have problems. They're an hour up the road. But like any business, they might not be there tomorrow. It happens. There's always the distributor to fall back on.

I've run the kettle a few more times recently, running the batteries down, only a bit each time ATM, so I can test the new DC-DC charger's MPPT, and my new solar panels. I may do another full capacity test before we go away. If we can go away mid June. :? <-1.5m -> :(

If I do have any probs, I'll post here.

dRdoS7
The voltage drop under load says either the cells or the BMS or both are not up to a high current draw. If it really did share the load across both batteries it would only be 85 amps per battery, 85 amps from a 120Ah battery is roughly a 0.7CA draw per battery, the cells should be able to maintain 3.2v plus at that load so the voltage should not drop below 12.8v.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:30 The voltage drop under load says either the cells or the BMS or both are not up to a high current draw. If it really did share the load across both batteries it would only be 85 amps per battery, 85 amps from a 120Ah battery is roughly a 0.7CA draw per battery, the cells should be able to maintain 3.2v plus at that load so the voltage should not drop below 12.8v.
What about from 100Ah batteries?

dRdoS7
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

We have 3 x 100AH LiFePO4 batteries in parallel in our motorhome and boiling a kettle via the Inverter never pulls those below about 13V.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

dRdoS7 wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:37 Hi,
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:30 The voltage drop under load says either the cells or the BMS or both are not up to a high current draw. If it really did share the load across both batteries it would only be 85 amps per battery, 85 amps from a 120Ah battery is roughly a 0.7CA draw per battery, the cells should be able to maintain 3.2v plus at that load so the voltage should not drop below 12.8v.
What about from 100Ah batteries?

dRdoS7
This test was done back in 2011 using a 1050w coffee percolator to load test a 90Ah LFP battery pack.
4 times 1C discharge terminal voltage, 90ah LFP Winston cells July 2011.jpg
4 times 1C discharge terminal voltage, 90ah LFP Winston cells July 2011.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Any decent LFP or LYP cell should be able to supply a 1CA discharge rate up to near fully discharged while still maintaining 3v per cell. As you can see, the discharge test was actually slightly greater than 1CA at times (more than 90 amps load) The newer chemistry Winston LYP cells suffer less voltage sag and will deliver the full 1CA load down to 100% DoD while still under load. We service customers RV battery packs roughly every 3.5yrs, although we don't see many of them until after 8 yrs continuous operation 24/7 because these are full time nomads. The load test used in this service is the same as the factory load test used when testing the cells to ensure that meet the specs, a 0.5CA load or 100% DoD over 2hrs. Even after 8 yrs of continuous service they still return the full advertised capacity without a cell dropping below 3v while under load. I guess it will be another 3 yrs or more before we get to do another capacity test and by then they will be approaching 12yrs in service.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Adverse Effects

T1 Terry wrote: Mon, 25 May 2020, 12:06
Love it, if was intentional or not, can I use it in future or are you going to copy write it :D

T1 Terry
when i first typed it it was a mistake but when i reread it back i had to laugh my self

sure go ahead i dont own it :-)