PIP-5048GE/GK/MG/MGX/MAX inverters (with unsafe SCC)

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-5048GE, PIP-5048GK and PIP-5048MG inverters (with unsafe SCC)

Post by coulomb »

mufaddalk wrote: Mon, 12 Aug 2019, 19:16 Hi, first time posting
Welcome to the forum. And thanks for providing details of your setup first thing; it really helps.
I have set them up with 56V as Bulk and 54.2V as float.
Those are possibly a tiny bit high for the longest life. Weber and I also use 16S LFP, and we use 55.2 V and 53.8 V. But first you need to sort out your charging woes.
Based on reading this forum the inverter has the float bug.
Every PIP/Axpert comes with both charge bugs from the factory, no extra charge :shock:
1. for the batteries i am using what is the optimum bulk and float and any other settings i should set considering the fact that it has the float bug.
I have no experience with this, since I use patched firmware. No patched firmware is available for your model, unfortunately. What I've been suggesting (and have had no feedback about) is to use the timed absorb feature (setting 32, "Bulk charging time"). That swaps one bug (premature float) for another (time under the cloud is counted the same as time in the sun), but it seems to me (without actually trying it) to be the "least worst" of the two bugs. The idea is to put setting 32 to something like 90 minutes (adjust with experience), so that even though the inverter will decide to praogress from bulk to absorb stages too early, it will be forced to stay in the absorb stage (aiming for the higher battery voltage, setting 26) for at least 90 minutes every day. Due to the factory firmware bug, it could be 90 minutes of shade/cloud/rain/snow, but at least it will be aiming for the higher voltage for longer.
Also would like advice on back to grid (my settings is 51V) and back to discharge voltage (my settings 53V).
I used to use those values myself. Recently, I've switched to 50V and 52V (you might want 50V and 53V to keep your battery SOC higher from grid power). But since you want to be as cautious as possible with your battery, 51 and 53 V is good.
2. Can someone explain battery equalization settings, if it can be set for this inverter model and whats the recommended setting for my battery.
The intention of the equalisation settings is to periodically overcharge a flooded lead acid battery, so it keeps the cells equalised, and you just top up a bit more water as a result of the over-charge. You don't want to ever do this to a lithium battery of any chemistry. However, you have control over the equalise voltage, so you might be able to use it to your advantage.

I suggest this: set the equalisation voltage (setting 34) to the same as your bulk/absorb voltage (setting 26). Set the equalisation interval (setting 37) as long as possible, probably 90 days. Make the equalisation time (setting 35) fairly long, say 3 hours (180 minutes). This means that every 90 days your battery will stay in the bulk or bulk/absorb stages (aiming for the higher battery voltage) for the 90 minutes of timed absorb, plus the 180 minutes for an "equalise" charge (which will just be more bulk/absorb charging). That should not take too much life from the battery, and might even be good to get a really good charge now and then. But now, if you are faced with a long period of cloud / rain etc, you can use setting 39 (Equalisation activated immediately) to extend the charge time for the battery with minimal effort. Monitoring software such as WatchPower should make it just a few clicks of the mouse. If the next day is still cloudy or rainy, use setting 39 again. If not, just do nothing; setting 39 is a "once off" thing. If you have a Raspberry Pi or other embedded computer monitoring the inverter, perhaps you could add a button that sends the appropriate command when you press it (command PBEQA1, I believe). Or you could get really creative and have a light sensor and clever software that somehow does this automatically.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Mon, 05 Aug 2019, 01:41 I have added 2 pictures to explain this, at high voltage of over 190v I was basically not generating anything (no mppt) ...
Actually, I didn't realise at first (the second post is rather blurry), but the icon that is missing isn't the MPPT, it's the battery. So perhaps by 5pm your problem is overcharging of the battery. Do you have logs of battery voltage, or can you just watch the battery voltage towards the end of an afternoon? It may be that your battery's BMS is stutting it off; these models are capable of operating without a battery (though obviously they need another power source, AC-in when solar is not present or too low in power).
mufaddalk
Noobie

Post by mufaddalk »

I have no experience with this, since I use patched firmware. No patched firmware is available for your model, unfortunately. What I've been suggesting (and have had no feedback about) is to use the timed absorb feature (setting 32, "Bulk charging time"). That swaps one bug (premature float) for another (time under the cloud is counted the same as time in the sun), but it seems to me (without actually trying it) to be the "least worst" of the two bugs. The idea is to put setting 32 to something like 90 minutes (adjust with experience), so that even though the inverter will decide to praogress from bulk to absorb stages too early, it will be forced to stay in the absorb stage (aiming for the higher battery voltage, setting 26) for at least 90 minutes every day. Due to the factory firmware bug, it could be 90 minutes of shade/cloud/rain/snow, but at least it will be aiming for the higher voltage for longer
With my initial settings Bulk 56V and Float 54.2V it would always stay on Float sun or cloud. I have 11 panels(185W) all in series. with Max current 4.3A. it would never reach max as even when the sun is MAX over the top of the sky i would get around 3 Amp as my panels are on a flat roof with very small angle aprox 15 degrees. So i am assuming causes i only have less than 1.5kv of PV input for a 5 Kv inverter it gets triggered into float most of the time cause of low PV input.

In this scenerio wouldnt it be better to have float = bulk = 55.2V . Also do you see any issue with the battery if its already charged up and still receiving 55.2V
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 07:38
The intention of the equalisation settings is to periodically overcharge a flooded lead acid battery, so it keeps the cells equalised, and you just top up a bit more water as a result of the over-charge. You don't want to ever do this to a lithium battery of any chemistry. However, you have control over the equalise voltage, so you might be able to use it to your advantage.
From the above are you suggesting that equalization should not be done with AGM/VRLA batteries?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

mufaddalk wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 11:15do you see any issue with the battery if its already charged up and still receiving 55.2V
Once it's fully charged, then leaving it at 55.2 V is just going to slightly shorten its life, while not providing any more energy.

You talk as though it doesn't start the day in the bulk charge stage. If that's the case, that needs rectifying first.
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 07:47
Actually, I didn't realise at first (the second post is rather blurry), but the icon that is missing isn't the MPPT, it's the battery. So perhaps by 5pm your problem is overcharging of the battery. Do you have logs of battery voltage, or can you just watch the battery voltage towards the end of an afternoon?
No I do not have logs but I will watch the battery voltage this evening to see about that, though normally by noon the battery is usually already full yet I still get mppt but it just goes off from 5pm even when there is still reasonable sunlight.
It may be that your battery's BMS is stutting it off; these models are capable of operating without a battery (though obviously they need another power source, AC-in when solar is not present or too low in power).
Am using a VLRA battery, do they have BMS as well? and yes the GK is capable of operating without battery but at the moment I have no grid supply (in the last 4 months) and I guess since I am still at 6 panels can't use batteryless on solar as well. When I loose mppt at 5pm the system just supply power to the household from the battery.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 14:14 From the above are you suggesting that equalization should not be done with AGM/VRLA batteries?
Pretty much. I can see some value in a very gentle equalisation, but just one or two tenths of a volt over the normal bulk/absorb voltage. You want to stay away from the gassing voltage of 14.4 x 4 = 57.6 V, since VRLA cells can't absorb much gas.

AGM seems to be a special case, where it can take a slightly higher voltage without losing electrolyte, perhaps due to the sponge-like matrix. Lead acid experts may care to comment further.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 14:28When I loose mppt at 5pm the system just supply power to the household from the battery.
Ah, I misunderstood, sorry. I thought you lost your loads at 5pm.

I have no experience with the high voltage MPPTs. Perhaps other owners can post what voltage or time their MPPTs switch off. I agree that since the MPPT voltage range is given as 120-430 VDC, then the MPPT should still be producing power (if any is needed) all the way down to 120 V, and possibly a little below.

What could be happening is that some shading is momentarily bringing the panel voltage low enough for the MPPT to turn off, then it has to wait for the panel voltage to increase beyond some threshold value before it will come back on again. But like you I would presume that the switch-on threshold is well under 195 V. So I can't explain it.
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 14:40
Ah, I misunderstood, sorry. I thought you lost your loads at 5pm.

I have no experience with the high voltage MPPTs. Perhaps other owners can post what voltage or time their MPPTs switch off. I agree that since the MPPT voltage range is given as 120-430 VDC, then the MPPT should still be producing power (if any is needed) all the way down to 120 V, and possibly a little below.
Was only able to do the screenshot at 6 but there was still sunlight, battery readings was not full and vdc readings above 120 yet I had lost mppt.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-08-13-18-19-26.png
Screenshot_2019-08-13-18-19-26.png (418.2 KiB) Viewed 10878 times
Screenshot_2019-08-13-18-19-32.png
Screenshot_2019-08-13-18-19-32.png (418.57 KiB) Viewed 10878 times
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 01:41 ... screenshot at 6 but there was still sunlight...
I note that Ojeysky is in Spain [ edit: actually, Nigeria, see next post ], and August in Spain corresponds roughly to February in Launceston.

For the little it's worth, my panels went from 3 A of battery-side output to 2 A at about 4:30 pm, and 2 A to 1 A at about 5 pm. I'm temporarily running on only 3.2 kWp of panels, 2S into a 145 V max MPPT (PIP-4048MS with old 60 A SCC).

It's possible that with a low number of panels and past the peak of summer, there just isn't enough PV power at 5pm to register. The 195 V seen at 5pm might collapse to below 120 V if significant current is drawn from the panels. So perhaps the SCC attempted to draw that sort of current, decided it's not worth the effort, and switched off, resulting in the panel voltage shooting up. It would have to somehow remember that the PV power was weak, otherwise it would attempt to start producing power from them again. This seems unlikely to me.
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

coulomb wrote: Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 07:28
I note that Ojeysky is in Spain, and August in Spain corresponds roughly to February in Launceston.
I guess the system figured my origin based on the IP address geo-location, I have now updated my profile with country. Am located in Nigeria and it's the raining season here though we do have a slight break from downpour in August.
For the little it's worth, my panels went from 3 A of battery-side output to 2 A at about 4:30 pm, and 2 A to 1 A at about 5 pm. I'm temporarily running on only 3.2 kWp of panels, 2S into a 145 V max MPPT (PIP-4048MS with old 60 A SCC).

It's possible that with a low number of panels and past the peak of summer, there just isn't enough PV power at 5pm to register. The 195 V seen at 5pm might collapse to below 120 V if significant current is drawn from the panels. So perhaps the SCC attempted to draw that sort of current, decided it's not worth the effort, and switched off, resulting in the panel voltage shooting up. It would have to somehow remember that the PV power was weak, otherwise it would attempt to start producing power from them again. This seems unlikely to me.
This could be a possible explanation for my issue, on the GK datasheet it was written that nominal voltage is 230v startup voltage is 150 +/- 10v. I will add up 2 more panels when budget permits and then see how it goes.

Thanks!
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

Hello @coulomb

My GK series has a settings called battery discharge voltage, mine is at 27v and I have noticed that the inverter will switch to battery once it gets to 27v. Is this a normal behaviour?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 16:50 My GK series has a settings called battery discharge voltage, mine is at 27v and I have noticed that the inverter will switch to battery once it gets to 27v. Is this a normal behaviour?
What is the setting number or abbreviation? It it's setting 13, this is usually called the "back to battery" voltage setting; I suppose it might be called the "back to discharge" setting, or similar.

It is normal behaviour to switch back to battery mode once the battery voltage has risen to the voltage in setting 13.

You'd normally be in battery mode, and only exit battery mode when the battery voltage falls below setting 12 (back to utility voltage), or to 1.0 V (on a 24 V system) above the low DC cutoff voltage (setting 29). Setting 13 is about "undoing" the effect of setting 12. I note that the one volt above setting 29 is undocumented, and I'm presuming similar behaviour to other models, and scaling the 2.0 V difference for 48 V systems.

It will probably undo the effect of setting 29 at 2.0 V (on a 24 V system) above the low DC cutoff voltage (setting 29) (again, with presumptions).
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
ojeysky wrote: Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 01:41 Was only able to do the screenshot
Could you tell me what app you are using for monitoring? Android or iPhone?

I'm running WatchPower on dedicated PC, but would like to be able to see it my phone occasionally.

Thanks,

dRdoS7
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

coulomb wrote: Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 19:48 What is the setting number or abbreviation? It it's setting 13, this is usually called the "back to battery" voltage setting; I suppose it might be called the "back to discharge" setting, or similar.
What do you recommend as an appropriate battery settings for a VRLA 24v battery set-up because I feel that "back to battery" at 27v may be too low?
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

dRdoS7 wrote: Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 13:02 Hi,

dRdoS7
It's available on Android play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... watchpower
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ojeysky wrote: Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 17:47 What do you recommend as an appropriate battery settings for a VRLA 24v battery set-up because I feel that "back to battery" at 27v may be too low?
Settings 12 and 13 are about "rescuing" the battery when it gets quite low in SOC. So setting 13 is supposed to be when the battery is back from that situation, able to handle loads again for a while. So 13.5 V per 12 V module sounds OK to me, though you could go one higher (i.e. 27.5 V for a 24 V system) or even two (28 V). It's something of a matter of taste. I worry that going too high means you are missing out on the advantages of your system: using stored solar energy instead of utility or generator power.

I would certainly not like a lead acid battery to go down to 23 V before switching to line mode, however. In other words, I'd also increase setting 12. Exactly how much depends on your battery's health and your typical loads.
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
ojeysky wrote: Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 17:48

dRdoS7
It's available on Android play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... watchpower
Did you buy a Bluetooth adaptor for the Inverter?

Thanks,

dRdoS7
ojeysky
Groupie

Post by ojeysky »

dRdoS7 wrote: Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 13:53 Hi,

dRdoS7

Thanks,

dRdoS7
It's inbuilt, comes with the CC by default
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

HI,
ojeysky wrote: Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 16:08
dRdoS7 wrote: Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 13:53 Hi,

Thanks,

dRdoS7
It's inbuilt, comes with the CC by default
OK.

Thanks,

dRdoS7
mikea1a
Noobie

Post by mikea1a »

Hello, this is mikea1a, new member.
I have installed a MPP PIP5048MG
9 solar panels at 320w in series.
Input at inverter 370v, output 230v
No batteries at this time.

Solar works fine, problem is when I turn on Grid to inverter, the solar drops out, and I only have grid only.
My settings are for solar first, then Grid...
My voltages are high, never fallen to lower settings, Amps are around 10amps
I have read several topics on this forum and haven't seen any one else with this situation.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
mikea1a
exup
Noobie

Post by exup »

Hi guys, sorry but i did not get any mail notifications from this post, i think i fixed notifications now.

Thanks god that @coulomb is here always ¡¡¡¡

First, updated news about my system, just hopping someone arrives here with the same question i did.

All working find with 2 strings of 6 panels 330W canadian solar , parallel working is just fine, no problems with AMPS at all. As coulomb said, the mpp takes what he can, no errors, no shut downs, nothing blowed after a few months of working this way.
Actually i have seen the MPP taking 19Amps, so not sure if 18A is the limit as the manual says. to be honest rarely goes that hight, i had to rise up my comsuptions to see the 19A number, most of the time i am way below that so not a problem at all, i can say that its fine and safe to set the panels in parallel, i don't see nothing that suggest otherwise after a few months.

Thanks to @birdibird for all the info, so interesting to now all those facts, and in the future if i have a battery it will be even more, pretty sure lots of people willl enjoy it.

In answer to @ojeysky Yes you need to raise the number of panels , you know that already as i am late to answer you (sorry again), the problem you have at 5pm is that you get too close to 120v and probably below that when the loads are hight, its absolutely normal that the mpp stops.

now do this test, at 1 Pm when solar is the highest, check your consumption

lets say its at 400w

400w ------ 160V

now turn on some stuff, and raise it to 3000W or more.

3000W ------ 120w

higher your go in W you'll see the volts drop, so in the evenings your system when loaded, it goes below 120 and it shutdowns, absolutely normal.

Now, you posted a photo after shutdown at 5PM and the system, without solar active says 195V, thats because is not working, but if the mpp tries to start taking solar it will fall below 120 again, and the software nows that, so it won't start.

So if you want to use that extra hour, maybe until 6Pm or more i don't know, put more panels my friend, you'll rise the Volts of your system, and the MPP software will not shutdown the solar.
i can see your 250W give around 32,5V so i suggest 12 panels to maximize your system and enjoy the evening sun.

in my opinion 6 is the limit for this hight voltage MPP's, this will depend on specs of solar panels of course.

if i could, i will still buy 2 more panels for my system and take it to 7 in each row, as i thinks it will improve a lot in this matter, but 7 is a strange number to set in my roofs, so ill stay at 6, and maybe in the future update both rows to 9 panels each.

all i hope im up to date.

greetings Exup
exup
Noobie

Post by exup »

mikea1a wrote: Tue, 03 Sep 2019, 04:55 Hello, this is mikea1a, new member.
I have installed a MPP PIP5048MG
9 solar panels at 320w in series.
Input at inverter 370v, output 230v
No batteries at this time.

Solar works fine, problem is when I turn on Grid to inverter, the solar drops out, and I only have grid only.
My settings are for solar first, then Grid...
My voltages are high, never fallen to lower settings, Amps are around 10amps
I have read several topics on this forum and haven't seen any one else with this situation.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
mikea1a
Hi @mikea1a this is quite strange, can you please share some photos of your config? like ojeysky did, that way we can help you better.
Nietschy
Noobie

Post by Nietschy »

Prajna wrote: Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 04:04 btw, I found a whole list of commands by decompiling WatchPower. I can post them if you don't have them already.
Hello together!

First of all I love this forum and all the friendly people and information back and forth.

I got one of these devices and face a few problems.
I hope it is not too rude if I just jump in...

I own an PIP 5048GK
I have a cmd line interface with all CRC stuff already done, I can switch from battery to grid and change charging modes (LINE, Solar or nothing).

- But I can not change AC charging speeds, (or any charging speeds at all). I only get NAK or timeout. I guess the commands f.e. --MUCHGC<nnn><CRC><cr>-- I found are just wrong for my device!?)
-- I need to adjust AC charing to the output of my grid tied solar inverter to get the batteries full in one day.

- If the PIP switches to line mode after a 110% load event, it stays there forever until I completely turn it off and on again (and loose power to all devices in that time).
-- If it would be 10 minutes, it would be fine, but it never changes back. Even if the overload occurs in line mode in the morning, it will not change to SBU mode in the evening! :?

@ Prajna or @coulomb if you can supply me with commands for my PIP would be just perfect!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
André
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Nietschy wrote: Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 02:23 Hello together!
Welcome to the forum.
I own an PIP 5048GK
We have a separate topic for the GE/GK/MG models. But since this is a protocol issue, and the protocols are more or less uniform across the models, I'm happy to let this post stay in [the PIP-4048MS and 5048MS] topic.

[Edit: Weber: With Coulomb's permission, I have moved this discussion (12 posts) to the GE/GK/MG topic after all, because the discussion ended up referring several times to things that were not valid for the MS inverters.]
I have a cmd line interface with all CRC stuff already done, I can switch from battery to grid and change charging modes (LINE, Solar or nothing).
Good.
- But I can not change AC charging speeds, (or any charging speeds at all). I only get NAK or timeout. I guess the commands f.e. --MUCHGC<nnn><CRC><cr>-- I found are just wrong for my device!?)
The PIP-5048GK does have the MUCHGC command, despite it being a "value line" model, and hence can't be paralleled. It does treat the number at offsets 6-8 as a three-digit number. (In models with paralleling ability, it's really two fields, m and nn, where m is the machine number (0-8), and nn is the two digit maximum utility charge current. [ Edit: despite what it says in some protocol manuals. ]) But the three digit number has to be one of the values in this set: {002, 010, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060}. Perhaps you are using in-between values?
-- I need to adjust AC charging to the output of my grid tied solar inverter to get the batteries full in one day.
Huh, an interesting set-up.
- If the PIP switches to line mode after a 110% load event, it stays there forever until I completely turn it off and on again (and loose power to all devices in that time).
-- If it would be 10 minutes, it would be fine, but it never changes back.
Switching back to battery mode is contingent on the battery voltage exceeding setting 13. Be aware of the effect of setting 29 (low DC cutoff voltage), as mentioned in FAQ question 2.