PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
solamahn
Groupie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by solamahn »

I am using a 4048ms running LF 1 73 00E. Works really good. Is there similar firmware available for a 5048msd that came with 76 30
Attachments
CE3326BD-158D-430B-B93F-00210CB638B7.jpeg
CE3326BD-158D-430B-B93F-00210CB638B7.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 5356 times
Solamahn PNG
24x300w, 2x4048ms, 75kw AGM
24x280w, JFY6000
12x300w, 4048ms, 20kw Winston
30x280w, 2x4048V, 12kw AGM
9 x 280w, 3024msxe, 10kw CALB
24 x 300w, 5048msd, 20kw Winston
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

solamahn wrote: Sun, 15 Nov 2020, 04:16 I am using a 4048ms running LF 1 73 00E. Works really good. Is there similar firmware available for a 5048msd that came with 76 30
No. There are only very lightly patched versions 75.31a and 75.21a. I've not seen any 76.xx firmware files.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 »

Hello,

i contact you today cause i think that i got few issues with my 4048ms.
Maybe i'm wrong but i'd rather prefer to ask to you.

Last time i wanted to check my battery bank i used the cute off switch on the main wire going back from the batteries to the inverter the grid at this time

This morning, when i wanted to check my battery bank i switch off the battery via the switch and the inverter stopped and no more current in the house... in the dark ...
In my settings (as this is winter here) i set power output : grid / charge source priority : sol first. I use the inverter as a back up grid and batteries as charged by sun to maintain floating on some days.

I noticed as well (when battery bank is linked to the inverter) on my BWV702 a 1A current leak (around 35w) all night long. I think that this current is powering the inverter, and as well that it was not the case before. Before (as far as i can remember) there were no current leak before the 73,0d patch
I was able to cut off the battery bank without loosing the inverter. (i'm working the 73.0d patch )

So am i doing something wrong in my setting or is my inverter dead ?

Regards and thank you.

Rick
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Rick54 wrote: Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 15:10 Last time i wanted to check my battery bank i used the cut off switch on the main wire going back from the batteries to the inverter the grid at this time
I find it hard to understand your words, but it's a really bad idea to switch off the battery while the inverter is running.
This morning, when i wanted to check my battery bank i switch off the battery via the switch and the inverter stopped and no more current in the house... in the dark ...
The PIP-4048MS, unlike some models, cannot operate without the battery connected.
In my settings (as this is winter here) i set power output : grid / charge source priority : sol first.
I assume you mean that you set the output source priority to Uti (utility first), and the charger source priority to CSO (solar first).
I noticed as well (when battery bank is linked to the inverter) on my BWV702 a 1A current leak (around 35w) all night long.
Yes, self consumption is around 1 A, and will be provided by the battery, unless you have a very old model that has an AC power supply (in which case, that ≈50 W is supplied by AC-in). If the main DC-AC converter is not running, e.g. in bypass mode, then this consumption should fall to around 15 W.

Before (as far as i can remember) there were no current leak before the 73,0d patch
Using patched firmware would not affect power consumption.
I was able to cut off the battery bank without loosing the inverter. (i'm working the 73.0d patch )
Again, this is a really bad idea. You might have gotten away with it a few times, and now it could be that something is damaged.
Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 »

Last time i wanted to check my battery bank i used the cut off switch on the main wire going back from the batteries to the inverter the grid at this time
I find it hard to understand your words, but it's a really bad idea to switch off the battery while the inverter is running.
Oh yes ... words are missing ! So sorry ! But you answered what i was looking for.

The PIP-4048MS, unlike some models, cannot operate without the battery connected.
In my settings (as this is winter here) i set power output : grid / charge source priority : sol first.
I assume you mean that you set the output source priority to Uti (utility first), and the charger source priority to CSO (solar first).
Exactly !

I noticed as well (when battery bank is linked to the inverter) on my BWV702 a 1A current leak (around 35w) all night long.
Yes, self consumption is around 1 A, and will be provided by the battery, unless you have a very old model that has an AC power supply (in which case, that ≈50 W is supplied by AC-in). If the main DC-AC converter is not running, e.g. in bypass mode, then this consumption should fall to around 15 W.
It is an old model and i read this on the manual what you said 50 and then 15W.

Before (as far as i can remember) there were no current leak before the 73,0d patch
Using patched firmware would not affect power consumption.
Again, this is a really bad idea. You might have gotten away with it a few times, and now it could be that something is damaged.
I did it twice. This morning and last time i got an issue with one battery. I noticed what you said and i won t do it again ...
I did a clean resort of the inverter and will monitor that leaking current

Thank you very much for your great advice and have a good day.

Regard

Rick
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Voltronic Zoo Update

I just updated my spreadsheet of the "Zoo" of Voltronic Power 230 Vac off-grid wall-mount inverters, including the specs that distinguish them from each other, and equivalent model numbers from MPP Solar, when they exist.

It only includes current models, not all the past models, some of which have the same numbers as current models, but different specs!

I note that when a model has a 64V option (for maximum absorb or equalise voltage), MPP Solar sell it only with that option.

Zoo2.xlsx
(15.84 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

The appearance of an MPP Solar model number in this spreadsheet does not imply that the model is available from maximum_solar on eBay. For example, I could not find any GE, MSD, MST or HSP models on eBay. And many of the 24 V HSE and MSE models were also unavailable.

The main changes since the original Zoo post are:
  • Discontinued by Voltronic: Axpert MKS 1K-24, Axpert MKS 1K-48, Axpert MKS 3K-48.
  • Discontinued by MPP Solar: PIP-4048MS(1).
  • New models from Voltronic: Axpert MAX 3600-24-230, Axpert MAX 7200-48-230.
  • Corresponding New models from MPP Solar: PIP-3624MAX, PIP-7248MAX.
  • New Models from Voltronic only: Axpert SE 3000-24, Axpert SE 5000-48.
  • New models from MPP Solar only: PIP-8048MAX, PIP-5048MGX, PIP-2424HSE1, PIP-2424MSE1.
The MAX models have higher output power levels than any other model with the same battery voltage. They are like the VM III/PIP-GK models (500 V SCC and removable display/BMS interface) but the 48 V models have dual MPPTs and can be paralleled.

The PIP-5048MGX should have been called the MGK. Like the MG, it has a 450 V SCC and can be paralleled. Like the GK and MK it has a removable display/BMS interface.

The SE models are similar to the VM II/PIP-GE models but have a ventilation system with a dust filter.

The PIP-HSE1 models are like PIP-HSE models but only have a power factor of 0.8. That's right. The "1" stands for "0.8"!

Here's a decoder for Voltronic model numbers of the form:

Axpert www xxxx-yy pppp.

www contains one of the following strings:
EX = PWM
KS = PWM (equiv PIP-HS and PIP-HSP)
VP = PWM, economy (lower charge current and not parallelable) (equiv PIP-HSE)
MEX = MPPT
MKS = MPPT (equiv PIP-MS and PIP-MSP)
MKS II = MPPT 450 V (equiv PIP-MG)
MKS III = MPPT 450V removable display (equiv PIP-MGX)
MKS IV = MPPT 450V 5.6 kW colour display (equiv U-5648MS)
VM = MPPT, economy (lower charge current and not parallelable) (equiv PIP-MSE and PIP-MSXE)
VM II = MPPT 500 V (equiv PIP-GE)
SE = like VM II but with dust filter
VM III = MPPT 400 V or 500 V, removable display (equiv PIP-GK)
MAX = like VM III but with higher power levels, 48 V models have dual MPPTs and can be paralleled (equiv PIP-MAX)
MAX II = like MAX but with colour display
King = MPPT, removable display, BMS interface (equiv PIP-MK)
King II = King but with MPPT 450V
Plus Duo = 2 x MPPT (equiv PIP-MSD)
Plus Tri = 3 x MPPT (equiv PIP-MST)

xxxx (digits with possible decimal point and possible "K" for kilo) = apparent power in volt-amps
yy (digits only) = battery voltage
pppp is either "Plus" or not present
Plus = MPPT SCC with max Voc = 145 V, in the case where another model differs only in having a lower-voltage SCC (equiv PIP-zzXz)

Here's a decoder for MPP Solar model numbers of the form:

PIP-xxyyzzz(www).

xx (digits only) = true power in hundreds of watts
yy
(digits only) = battery voltage
zzz contains 2 or 3 (and in one case 4) of the following letters:
M = MPPT SCC (first letter)
H = PWM SCC (first letter)
G = MPPT SCC with max Voc ≥ 400 V (first or second letter)
S is meaningless (second letter)
K = Removable display, BMS interface (second letter)
E = Economy (lower charge current and not parallelable) (second, third or fourth letter)
P = power factor 0.8 (third letter)
D = Dual MPPTs (third letter)
T = Triple MPPTs (third letter) or Twin (second letter). MT is equivalent to the Axpert VM III Twin (dual output) or VM IV Twin (3.6 kW or 5.6 kW models).
X = MPPT SCC with max Voc = 145 V, in the case where another model differs only in having a lower-voltage SCC (third letter). Except in the case of the MAX and MGX which should have been called MGK. MKX = zero transfer with high voltage SCC, equivalent to the Axpert King II.
1 = power factor 0.8 (fourth character)
(www):
(1) = power factor 1, in the case where another model differs only in having a lower power factor
(64V) = has the 64 V max absorb voltage option

Here's MPP Solar's own comparison chart (Thanks Coulomb).

Here's a decoder for Mecer (rhymes with "spacer") models of the form: [Thanks to Coulomb for the following]

SOL-I-AX-xww possibly followed by dd.

x is the apparent power in kVA, usually 5, 3, or 8.
ww is a series code string:
M (when following a 5) = 145 V max MPPT, PF0.8, 60 A SCC, except if manufactured between November 2017 and at least March 2018, when they became PF1.0 and 80 A SCC, and didn't bother to change the series code.
       M4 (when following a 5) = 450 V max MPPT, PF1, 120 A SCC, 5.6 kW, colour display. Equivalent to the Axpert MKS IV 5600-48.
       M (when following an 8, and possibly a 3): equivalent to Axpert MAX 8K or 3K.
P = 145 V max MPPT, 80 A, PF1.0.
VP = 105V max PWM, 50A, PF1.0.
NB = PF1 450 V max MPPT, 80 A SCC, older display, equivalent to the Axpert MKS II.
D = PF0.8 dual MPPT (145 V max 60 A x 2)
T = PF0.8 triple MPPT (145 V max 60 A x 3)
KP = MPPT, removable display equivalent to Axpert King 5K or PIP-5048MK
RM (at least when following a 5) equivalent to a Rack Mounted Axpert King 5K
K or P when following 3 seem to be MPPT, removable display equivalent to an Axpert King 3K or PIP-3024MK
dd when present indicates:
64 = 64 V max battery voltage on a 48 V nominal machine
24 = 24 V nominal battery voltage.
3M24 = 75 V max MPPT, 600 W solar charging.
3MPLUS24 = PF0.8 145 V max MPPT 60 A SCC.
When not present, you can assume a 48 V nominal battery voltage with 58.4 V max if x is 5, or 24 V nominal if x is 3.

There seems to be another, older pattern, e.g.
M-5K-PAR-A where:
M = Mecer
5K = 5 kVA
PAR = parallel capable but not necessarily supplied with a paralleling kit
A = PF0.8

Here's a decoder for Kodak (Blue Mountain Energy Ltd using the Kodak brand under license) off-grid inverters of the form:

Kodak OGm p.vα possibly followed by -RM

m is the model variant:
none = Axpert VM III
X = Axpert MKS II (α not present) or MKS III (with removable display) if α is "a"
+ or Plus = Axpert King
Note that OG-PLUS6.2 seems to be an Axpert King II Twin
S = Axpert MKS IV
p is the rated actual power in kW: 5 or 3
v is the nominal battery voltage, 48 or 24
-RM when present (only for OG-Plus for now?) indicates Rack Mounted

Kodak OG-MAX 7.2 = Axpert Max 7.2K; it doesn't quite fit the above formula.

[ Edited Coulomb March 2021: added Kodak section.
August 2021: VM II → MKS II for Kodak OGX; added α variant; added OG-MAX.
November 2021: Added SOL-I-AX-8M = Axpert MAX.
May 2022: Added Axpert MKS III, IV, MAX II, KING II; Kodak OGS
August 2022: Added rack mounted variants
January 2023: Added PIP MT ]
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
birdibird
Groupie

Post by birdibird »

@weber PIP-5048MGX = Axpert MKS III
See solarpower24.it

And don't forget PIP-8048MAX

The MAX series are very much like the MGX.
They both have the new feature to program timer settings for Output Source Priority and Charger Source Priority
Renault Zoe Q210, Renault Zoe R135
5940Wp panels, Axpert Max 7200
2 x Pylontech US3000C = 7,2kWh LFP
140L solar water heater, 50L electric water heater
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

birdibird wrote: Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 05:04 @weber PIP-5048MGX = Axpert MKS III
See solarpower24.it

And don't forget PIP-8048MAX

The MAX series are very much like the MGX.
They both have the new feature to program timer settings for Output Source Priority and Charger Source Priority
Thanks for those.

I already had the PIP-8048MAX in the spreadsheet. I just forgot to mention it in the body of the post. Fixed.

It makes sense that the PIP-5048MGX would be called the Axpert MKS III 5K (with 64V option), but I can't find any mention of it on the Voltronic Power web site — just as there is no mention of an Axpert MAX 8000-48-230. But I have now added these names, with a question mark, to the Voltronic column of the spreadsheet.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
birdibird
Groupie

Post by birdibird »

great.
Did you already know this selection guide of MPP Solar?
Renault Zoe Q210, Renault Zoe R135
5940Wp panels, Axpert Max 7200
2 x Pylontech US3000C = 7,2kWh LFP
140L solar water heater, 50L electric water heater
ThomasHaller
Noobie

Post by ThomasHaller »

Hi all,
After running my 5048 EA-Sun unit happily for many months (after having flashed new firmware to overcome my initial FW error code),
I am now planning to extend my setup:
Moving from 5000 to 10000 recycled 18650, moving from one 5048 to 4 units 8-)
Total usage capacity should come to above 70kWh.
Objective is to provide 11kW 3-phase to be able to transfer all stored energy to one of our EVs in one night.

Until now I have one Laptop in my battery/inverter room monitoring the system and I am exporting data on a weekly basis from WatchPower to my NAS via WiFi.
From there I do further data analysis to optimize solar input (and detect when our cherry tree has grown too high again ...)

With WatchPower unable to actively monitor multiple PIPs in parallel, I am now trying to find a solution for monitoring the extended setup.

I will have 3 units in 3-phase mode (inverter not expected to run all the time, but all Solar Charge controllers connected
and one unit for 220V single phase running continuously.
Each of the 5048 will have its own solar array.

Now my monitoring questions/options where I hope I can get feedback/input:

Option 1: Buy three more laptops and have WatchPower running on 4 laptops and transfer data from all 4 to my NAS to collect all monitoring data.
Sounds like another 100W or permanent draw of current and additional investment. I don't like that option, but maybe the only way ...

Option 2: If the group of 3-phase inverter can be seen and monitored through one Port: Buy one additional laptop, have 2 instances of WatchPower constantly running.
I believe this will not work since I will only collect Solar input data from one of the Solar Charge controllers at a time. Correct ?

Option 3: I buy one new laptop with lots of RAM and install a Hypervisor to run 4 instaces of Windows 10 in parallel. 4 Instances of WatchPower running in parallel.
4 USB ports needed. Hypervisor should be able assign USB ports to different Windows instances. Has anyone done that ? Any experiences to share ?

Option 4: As in option 3 one big laptop. 4 user accounts, one for each PIP5048. Hopefully WatchPower can run multiple times in different user accounts.
I expect to see all for connected units in all instances of WatchPower, would need to make sure the correct one is selected in the different user sessions to make sure all data is collected. Has anyone managed to run WatchPower in parallel on different user accounts ?

My current plan of attack is to investigate option 4 first, if that does not work follow up on option 3 (which should work) and only if options 3 and 4 fail investigate in option 2 and 1 as "last fallback".

Any help from this great community welcome !

PS: many festive season greetings to everyone !
teba
Noobie

Post by teba »

Hi Thomas,

would be a small Linux setup a solution for you?
I monitor two EASUN Isolar SM 5kW 64V with a small set of self written shell scripts. It will be four inverters in some weeks.
All parameters are written into a data-text-files, then imported into an influx DB and then displayed via grafana.

Maybe this would be a solution for you too:
https://solaranzeige.de/phpBB3/solaranzeige.php (german only)
This is able to monitor up to 6 inverters.

Have some nice holydays!
ThomasHaller
Noobie

Post by ThomasHaller »

teba wrote: Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 23:43 Hi Thomas,

I monitor two EASUN Isolar SM 5kW 64V with a small set of self written shell scripts. It will be four inverters in some weeks.
All parameters are written into a data-text-files, then imported into an influx DB and then displayed via grafana.

Have some nice holydays!
Hi Teba,
I actually have a Raspberry Pi in a drawer somewhere (was supposed to be a father/son project to intelligently control multicolor LEDs instead of embossed "Tesla" letters in the Model S rear chrome strip: red usually, bright red when breaking, white when reverse, directional amber when indicating; but my son stopped his electronics apprenticeship...)

So that definitely looks like a good option 5:
One laptop that doesn't have to run all the time (which is difficult for Windows anyway) and a permanently running Raspberry on Linux collecting all data.

Thx a lot Teba, I have a new project for the festive covid lock down phase in Europe now :-)
Will try to get the Pi running!
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

"With WatchPower unable to actively monitor multiple PIPs in parallel"
It works ok with two and another two on a different system over the internet so that makes four at once.
ThomasHaller
Noobie

Post by ThomasHaller »

paulvk wrote: Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 17:00 "With WatchPower unable to actively monitor multiple PIPs in parallel"
It works ok with two and another two on a different system over the internet so that makes four at once.
WatchPower 1.13SP3 does show multiple attached inverters.
Yes, one can select each one of them and view the data.

But data logging only updates the table of the selected inverter. All non-selected inverters do not get an updated value into the data log. Instead the non-selected get repeatedly the values entered from when they were last selected put again and again into the data log.

That's the issue I want to work around.

Rgds,
Thomas
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

I have no problem with data its different for my two inverters I just had a look.
parrafin23
Noobie

Post by parrafin23 »

Happy NewYear folks.
So my pip inverter failed on me. not even 6 months old. Thanx to this forum I now know that my inverter is "fake" one and it can not be updated.
I asked the seller for a comment on this one and I did show him this webpage and the evidence to its fakeness. He would speak to the provider of these units and give me a reply on email. And I got an email.

They say that I can use this inverter with Lithium batteries with no issues without changing any settings. I find this a bit strange but ok.
I asked them why I cant update the firmware on the unit. Wel. the firmware thats on it is goin to be there, cant be updated. Great!
They write in the email that the customer can call tech support to get the inverter correctly set up if needed.

Regarding the fake serial number. They say that the serial is not fake and its the manufacturer who put the sticker on. I wounder if i bought 2 of them, would the SN be the same?

Wel.. the unit is goin back without a question. When I turn on the output i just hear a clicking sound. No voltage output displayed on the pip.
Connected a Dmm to the outputs and i can see the inverter is pulsing the voltage, Even with load connected to the output its still "dead".

The sun is up, the wats are there, but I cant use any of it.. Darn!!!
ThomasHaller
Noobie

Post by ThomasHaller »

ThomasHaller wrote: Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 13:40
teba wrote: Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 23:43 Hi Thomas,

Have some nice holydays!
Hi Teba,
I actually have a Raspberry Pi in a drawer somewhere (was supposed to be a father/son project to intelligently control multicolor LEDs instead of embossed "Tesla" letters in the Model S rear chrome strip: red usually, bright red when breaking, white when reverse, directional amber when indicating; but my son stopped his electronics apprenticeship...)

So that definitely looks like a good option 5:
One laptop that doesn't have to run all the time (which is difficult for Windows anyway) and a permanently running Raspberry on Linux collecting all data.

Thx a lot Teba, I have a new project for the festive covid lock down phase in Europe now :-)
Will try to get the Pi running!
Hi all, happy new year !
Last day of vacation but happy with the progress made:
Next to my 3 year old EASUN 5048, I have configured 3 new (very cheap) MADOUD 5048 units with parallel boards already installed (250US $ per unit on AliExpress) to deliver 3-phase 380V AC.
Plan is to be able to charge our EVs at 11kW directly from my home battery.

All 3 MADOUD units are connected via USB to a raspberry PI 3 running Solaranzeige software.
An influx DB is collecting data every minute from all 3 inverters (and my already running 220V EASUN inverter can easily be added). The DB is doing daily and weekly statistics (which I used to do in excel every weekend after exporting data from WatchPower).

So many thanks to this PIP-5048 community and to the Solaranzeige community !!!

Now I can continue to grow my home battery (currently at 30kWh with plan to extend to 100kWh)

Have a nice day (with hopefully much more sun than we have here in Winter in Switzerland) !
ThomasHaller
Noobie

Post by ThomasHaller »

parrafin23 wrote: Sun, 03 Jan 2021, 17:46 Happy NewYear folks.
So my pip inverter failed on me. not even 6 months old. Thanx to this forum I now know that my inverter is "fake" one and it can not be updated.
I asked the seller for a comment on this one and I did show him this webpage and the evidence to its fakeness. He would speak to the provider of these units and give me a reply on email. And I got an email.

They say that I can use this inverter with Lithium batteries with no issues without changing any settings. I find this a bit strange but ok.
I asked them why I cant update the firmware on the unit. Wel. the firmware thats on it is goin to be there, cant be updated. Great!
They write in the email that the customer can call tech support to get the inverter correctly set up if needed.

Regarding the fake serial number. They say that the serial is not fake and its the manufacturer who put the sticker on. I wounder if i bought 2 of them, would the SN be the same?

Wel.. the unit is goin back without a question. When I turn on the output i just hear a clicking sound. No voltage output displayed on the pip.
Connected a Dmm to the outputs and i can see the inverter is pulsing the voltage, Even with load connected to the output its still "dead".

The sun is up, the wats are there, but I cant use any of it.. Darn!!!
Hi Parrafin,
When I purchased my first inverter from EASUN to run with my 14S Lithium setup, I went all the way to get the 64V capable version which cost extra. I did this to be able to achieve 58.8V to max everything out from 100 SOC down to BMS cutoff.

After running my system now for 3years I am never charging higher than 57.4 anymore to extend battery life.
This top voltage can also be configured for the standard (non-64V) units.
Thus the additional units I purchased were standard 5048MS units and they work fine with 14S Lithium.

So I believe the statement: You can use with Lithium with vendor supplied firmware is true.

PS: The EASUN unit also failed on me with a firmware error code. Seller told me that I need to purchase a new PCB they can send to me. I purchased a USB to serial inverter instead and flashing new FW worked perfectly. So the seller is not always correct ...

Hope that helps,
Thomas
friendnb2
Noobie

Post by friendnb2 »

Hi boys, I have EASUN ISolar SM5kW48V1PF, very probably genuine one. I have 72.20 and tried to write patch firmware 72.20e, bud not successfully. I have usb to serial with PL2303 chip.I have genuine rj45-db9 cable from supplier, came together with inverter. Thru this, WatchPower works properly using COM port 1. I stopped and exit watchpower. ReflashTool shows using of COM port1. After answer "Are you sure.." after a few seconds appear window with " Can not open serial port". And thats it. Ofcourse, i tried all usb ports in my comp, tried other COM port nb etc..Can anyone help me please what can be wrong? I am desperate already..
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

friendnb2 wrote: Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 02:01 I have EASUN ISolar SM5kW48V1PF, very probably genuine one. I have 72.20 and tried to write patch firmware 72.20e, but not successfully.

I stopped and exit watchpower.
Did you exit Watchpower properly using the system tray, or did you merely close the window? The latter keeps something running in the background that keeps the com port in use.
ReflashTool shows using of COM port1.
That means that Com1 is a serial port, but not necessarily the USB to serial adapter. You should check in Control Panel. All this should be in the upload instructions.
friendnb2
Noobie

Post by friendnb2 »

coulomb wrote:
friendnb2 wrote: Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 02:01 I have EASUN ISolar SM5kW48V1PF, very probably genuine one. I have 72.20 and tried to write patch firmware 72.20e, but not successfully.

I stopped and exit watchpower.
Did you exit Watchpower properly using the system tray, or did you merely close the window? The latter keeps something running in the background that keeps the com port in use.
I closed the window and did exit using system tray. Then, to be sure, deinstalled watchpower. Do not know what more to do and how to avoid usage of port.
ReflashTool shows using of COM port1.
That means that Com1 is a serial port, but not necessarily the USB to serial adapter. You should check in Control Panel. All this should be in the upload instructions.
This com1 port, for instance, watchpower using, connected via usb/serial, properly. Is it not indication of good setted usb to serial way?
In control panel is port setted like this:
obr7.jpg
obr7.jpg (333 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
Sorry it is in Slovak language, but shows how port com1 is setted, I hope is it ok. I tried to follow upload instructions as good as I am able but probably something overlook

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed quoting ]
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I closed the window and did exit using system tray. Then, to be sure, deinstalled watchpower.
OK, that should do it, well and truly.
This com1 port, for instance, watchpower using, connected via usb/serial, properly. Is it not indication of good setted usb to serial way?
In control panel is port setted like this:obr7.jpg
Yes, that looks correct, thanks.
I tried to follow upload instructions as good as I am able but probably something overlook
I can't see anything wrong.

I assume you have the correct download file; it should have the name "dsp_LF1_72.20e pf1 64V.zip" or "dsp_LC1_72.20e pf1 64V.zip" (without the quotes).

I also assume that you are running the reflash tool that came in the above zip file. There are several versions of the reflash tool, which look exactly the same, but that send different commands to initiate the reflash.

You could try running a comms program such as TeraTerm, just to see that you can open COM port 1, set to 2400 bps and send a command such as T E S T return to see that you get a response (the response should contain the string "NAK" for Negative AcKnowledgement). Of course, close that program before you try updating the firmware again.

One outside chance: maybe it's a fake Prolific USB to serial adapter. But you seem convinced that it's genuine, presumably by the app mentioned in a post linked from the upload instructions. Also, the fact that it works with Watchpower seems to indicate that it should at least open successfully.

Another possibility is that the comm board works fine at 2400 bps, but when it switches to 9600 bps for the upload, it fails. But again, I would not expect that failure to become apparent until after the serial port is successfully opened.

I've never been able to completely convince myself that the EASun label means a genuine inverter-charger made by Voltronic Power. Perhaps some are made by Must Power, and can't be updated. But I would not expect that to result in a "cannot open COM port" message; I'd expect it to be able to open the COM port, but just then just do nothing (as the wrong command is sent to initiate the reflash).

Sorry, I have no more ideas, and I realise that none of the above are likely to help you.
friendnb2
Noobie

Post by friendnb2 »

Thank you very much coulomb for help. Before I will try to do something else, just shortly, maybe stupid question: in folder dsp_LC1_72.20e pf1 64V are many files. How the application knows which I want to flash ? There are three with ".hex"- dsp.hex, dsp_LC1_72.20e.hex and original version dsp_original_72.20.hex. Is it ok? All files can be in folder during flashing? In addition, how can I just reflash, if I want for instance original version 72.20?
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

friendnb2
Noobie

Post by friendnb2 »

Thank you for it, it looks clear now, hopefully.
I am just now find something interesting, and maybe not irrelevant: I made default settings using Watchpover and see- my original firmware is 74.10, not 72.20!! Is it possible that default setting made this change of firmware? Or I was blind when I read it first time.
Anyway, is patched fw for this case 74.40e? Shall I use it instead old 74.10?