PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb »

Erik89 wrote: Mon, 05 Feb 2018, 02:31 ... even if disconnected from the panels, always signals 53v and 1A of charge. I disconnected the cables but always remains in solar charge even at night. reverse has the firmware 72.60 and 4.10 date 2016. the problem can be software?
If you mean is it possible that the firmware (software running in semiconductor, i.e. hardware, memory) could have gotten itself corrupted somehow, yes certainly. It's a pretty complex piece of software, with 8 tasks running pseudo-simultaneously on one processor, and there are many areas which have to be protected by turning off interrupts or other safeguards, and it's entirely possible that they overlooked one or a few such places.

So yes: it's worth restarting the firmware by disconnecting the battery (and AC input if it's a very old model), waiting a few seconds, and starting again.
Is the charger broken? thank you
My initial reaction was that It's possible that if the above doesn't fix the problem, that the Solar Charge Controller (SCC) may have failed, and that perhaps you could have it replaced without replacing the entire machine. However, upon reflection, this can't be the case, since the SCC is only ever powered by the PV inputs. (I'm assuming an MPPT model here; the PWM models may be different). So to see a non-zero PV voltage reading at night or with the PV input disconnected rules out the SCC as the sole problem (again, assuming that it's an MPPT model, such as the PIP-4048 MS, not the PWM based PIP-4048 HS).

A few recent problems mentioned on this thread have "come good" after a period of time. Is yours one such?

[ Edit: corrected tense ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Erik89
Noobie

Post by Erik89 »

Yes, I have a Pip4048ms .... the problem remains even when the battery is removed. the relays seem to work well in the mppt card but not released under the 60v photovoltaic input
BaronVonChickenPants
Groupie

Post by BaronVonChickenPants »

Good Afternoon all,
I have been watching and reading this thread almost from the start and am truly impressed by everyone's efforts to reverse engineer the schematics and firmware of these units.

I am tempted to purchase one of the PIP units for an off-grid property but would first like to perform testing at home with on-grid mains power available. Just to get past some of the quirky issues people seem to be having.

For the off-grid property we are currently using APC SmartUPS 3000VA units with 14kWh of VRLA batteries and external MPPT chargers so we would have these to fall back on. The APC units have ~100w no load draw on the DC bus. We are planning to move to LiFePo4 batteries sometime this year.

So now the questions:
My understanding is that these are certified as approved for on-grid and grid-feed connection, is this correct?

What is the real world difference between the PIP-4048MS PF0.8 and the PIP-5048MS PF1.0 other than just the writing on the package and brochure.
Are they truly 20% more efficient?
Do they really deliver 5000w?
And, most importantly, do they work with the patched firmware that was written for the PIP-4048MS?

Other than being a single self contained unit with higher output, would they really offer any advantage over the UPS for off-grid use?

I notice in the Black Monolith images I could not see an earth-neutral bond in the AC box, do these have a floating neutral or was the bond in the main electrical distribution board?

The off-grid site uses a genuine Chinesium 6.5kva AVR type genset, one of these clones, so the output frequency will vary slightly depending on load, people seem to be struggling with this, what are the chances of making the PIP's tolerant of 50-ish Hz instead of exactly 50Hz?

And finally a little off topic but, where does one find purchase and pricing information on the LyteFyba BMS? I have not seen any mention of them on Lithium Battery Systems' site.

That's enough questions for now, thanks.

Jordan.
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

Hello,
Im a new on this forum, and French.
I thanks for this, because in France, there is no lot of news.
I have update my firmware 52.28 to 72.70c, it's OK.
But - I would like to do : 220V-230V-240V, because since 2014, only 230V.
- I would like equalization my battery crown CR220HD

Sorry for my bad english.
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

hi. Im new on this forum.
I have a 5kva since 2014 with firmware 52.28.
I update today my firmware with 72.70c. It's OK.
But I would like change my outpower at 220V and now it's 230V unchange.
And I would like equalize my battery crown cr220hd.
Thanks for this great post
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Welcome, Franck.
lion6912 wrote: Wed, 07 Feb 2018, 23:23 But - I would like to do : 220V-230V-240V, because since 2014, only 230V.
Interesting; perhaps they set it to 220 V at the distributor, or the factory.

The V220 etc commands have been shown not to work.
I was confusing a setting for "inverter voltage" with one for "output voltage".
The V commands appear to be a legacy from earlier versions or earlier products;
the setting changed by them isn't used elsewhere.
I've since found the correct command, and Weber is kindly beta testing it for me.
See this post for the correct command.

As far as I know, the output voltage setting procedure is not documented at all. My research indicates that you have to send it a "V220" command to change the output voltage to 220 V. Similarly, V230 and V240 for 230 and 240 V respectively.

So you need a computer with a serial port (these days that means a computer or phone with a USB port and a USB to RS232 adapter), and a communications program capable of sending 8-bit characters. The 8-bit characters are required for the CRC characters that are needed at the end of each command.

See the end of this post for setting up Tera Term. Note: to enable 8-bit character transmission, you need to find and edit the initialisation file, as per the instructions in the linked post.

Alternatively, this post for calculating the CRCs and pasting the command with CRCs as hexadecimal into the clipboard for you. Use with RealTerm.

Using Scott's Windows app, merely type V 2 2 0 enter into the app, and paste it into RealTerm followed by enter.

Not using Scott's app but having set up Tera Term, enter the following:
V 2 2 0 right alt+, right alt+shift+C enter

You should see an "ACK" response (no quotes), and not a "NAK". The "ACK" or "NAK" will be followed by 2 weird characters, being the checksum characters.

Edit: I am not in a position to test the above, so I have have slipped up.

Edit 2: I you were running WatchPower, you'll have to exit it (not just close the window). If unsure, see the how to update firmware post for exactly how.
And I would like equalize my battery crown cr220hd.
Check the user manual (first item in this thread's index on page 1) page 30 for details. Note: you can't get beyond 58.4 V for the "bulk charging voltage" (absorb voltage) setting (setting 26). You will need to find the equalise voltage for your particular battery, and it may be more than that limit. If so, the best you can do is to use the maximum allowed, and either extend the equalise time a little, or equalise a little more frequently, to compensate.

Edit 3: Unfortunately, I didn't have time to test this, and Weber points out in the post after next that this doesn't work.

[ Other edits: Tera Term OR Scott's app and RealTerm. Carriage return -> enter. Added shift for C . ]
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The ABC ran a story about EV batteries and home storage / recycling:
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-ne ... 808W033S00
The segment starts at about 12:27:00
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Great post Coulomb, about the undocumented V220, V230 and V240 commands. A model of clarity. Except for one problem. They don't work. :) At least, not on my inverter.

BTW, the PIP never shows ACK or NAK followed by 2 weird characters. It always shows:
(ACK9
or
(NAKss

And I note that your TeraTerm key sequence should have a shift with the right alt and C, i.e.
V 2 2 0 right alt+, right alt+shift+C enter

But it still doesn't work. I get an "(ACK9" alright. But the voltage remains at 230 V. I've tried doing it after turning off the switch at the bottom of the inverter, as you have to do when changing parallel mode. I've also tried it in both parallel mode and single inverter mode. Same every time. It ACKs it, but nothing changes. Same goes for "V240". So maybe there was a good reason it wasn't documented.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

BaronVonChickenPants wrote: Wed, 07 Feb 2018, 11:12 Good Afternoon all,
I have been watching and reading this thread almost from the start and am truly impressed by everyone's efforts to reverse engineer the schematics and firmware of these units.
Welcome, Jordan. Thanks for the kind words. I note that by far the bulk of that work has been done by Coulomb.
I am tempted to purchase one of the PIP units for an off-grid property but would first like to perform testing at home with on-grid mains power available. Just to get past some of the quirky issues people seem to be having.
Very wise.
So now the questions:
My understanding is that these are certified as approved for on-grid and grid-feed connection, is this correct?
No. Not at all. Not sure how you got that idea. They are not even capable of feeding power into the grid. They are not on the CEC approved list at all, although the equivalent rebadged Giant Power IPS-4000WM is. But non grid-feed inverters do not need to be on the CEC approved list to be legal. Just don't expect to get any STCs for PV systems using them.

My understanding is that they are perfectly legal to use in Australia, provided all the relevant installation standards are adhered to, including AS/NZS 3000 Wiring Rules, AS 4086 Batteries and AS/NZS 5033 PV arrays. To comply with the latter, any connected PV array must have an open circuit voltage not exceeding 120 V DC at the lowest operating temperature. This is for safety reasons, because these inverters do not have insulation monitoring or earth leakage detection on their PV array inputs.
What is the real world difference between the PIP-4048MS PF0.8 and the PIP-5048MS PF1.0 other than just the writing on the package and brochure.
Are they truly 20% more efficient?
Do they really deliver 5000w?
I have never tested one, but I fully expect they will really deliver 5000 W. They are heavier. They do not claim to be 20% more efficient. I expect they are about the same efficiency at the same power level. You need to read up on the difference between VA and W in AC circuits.
And, most importantly, do they work with the patched firmware that was written for the PIP-4048MS?
No. I thought we had made that clear in several posts recently.
Other than being a single self contained unit with higher output, would they really offer any advantage over the UPS for off-grid use?
Other than that, no.
I notice in the Black Monolith images I could not see an earth-neutral bond in the AC box, do these have a floating neutral or was the bond in the main electrical distribution board?
The MEN link was in the main switchboard, as usual.
The off-grid site uses a genuine Chinesium 6.5kva AVR type genset, one of these clones, so the output frequency will vary slightly depending on load, people seem to be struggling with this, what are the chances of making the PIP's tolerant of 50-ish Hz instead of exactly 50Hz?
At this time, we have no idea how this might be done, and are not investigating it. But do be sure to set parameter [03] to APL, not UPS.
And finally a little off topic but, where does one find purchase and pricing information on the LyteFyba BMS? I have not seen any mention of them on Lithium Battery Systems' site.
Coulomb and I might be brilliant engineers :geek: :ugeek: but we are lousy salesmen. :D It turns out LBS were interested in using them in their own products, but not in selling them separately. They have left such sales to us, and have now handed production back to us. We are very grateful to them for getting the ball rolling. Send us an email if you want a quote, or more information. http://dkeenan.com
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Here's a brief explanation of the practical meaning of the difference between inverter ratings of 4 kW/5 kVA and 5 kW/5 kVA.

1. AC appliances that have some kind of heating element, and those that do not contain motors, typically draw the same amount of VA as W. These are called resistive loads.

2. AC appliances with motors, and old style fluorescent tube ballasts, can draw up to 50% more VA than W. These are called inductive loads.

If your heaviest loads are all of the first kind, you will care most about the W limit of the inverter, and so the 5 kW/5 kVA inverter will be of benefit.

If your heaviest loads are mostly of the second kind, you will care most about the VA limit, in which case it doesn't matter which inverter you choose, and your decision might be based on other factors, such as the patchability of the firmware.
BaronVonChickenPants
Groupie

Post by BaronVonChickenPants »

Thanks Weber,
That has cleared up a few holes and fuzzy spots in my understanding.

I remembered reading that the Giant Power units were approved and mis-understood the full meaning of this.

We purchased our solar panels 2nd hand so we're not expecting STC's anyway.
No. I thought we had made that clear in several posts recently.
Sorry about that, I caught mention of it but lost track of all the different models and which are or aren't fully supported by the patched firmware, hence the question to clarify.

Thanks for the summary of kVA vs kW that sums it up nicely.

Once I get my design finalised I'll shoot you an email for a quote.

Thanks again.
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

Thanks for reply.
But the watchpower know to change 220V-230V-240V, I have a friend have 5kva more recent and He can select Vout on watchpower.
If I change the firmware SCC, no change ?
For equalization, crown CR220HD is 2.7V per cellulle, that 64.8V. So 58.4V is poor.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

lion6912 wrote: Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 18:03 But the watchpower know to change 220V-230V-240V, I have a friend have 5kva more recent and He can select Vout on watchpower.
Interesting. I don't use WatchPower myself. I actually did find a Watchpower manual (the manual doesn't seem to have a version number, so it might be old), and it doesn't seem to mention any setting for output voltage (there is a field that displays output voltage, but I don't believe that any of those displayed variables can be edited).

It just adds to the mystery.

So, are you saying that your WatchPower doesn't offer you the ability to change output voltage?

Is the facility for changing output voltage missing from your screens?

Were you able to change the output voltage using WatchPower before the firmware update?

Did your machine come set up for 220 V output as delivered?
If I change the firmware SCC, no change ?
I can't see how the SCC firmware version would change the ability to set the output voltage.
For equalization, crown CR220HD is 2.7V per cellulle, that 64.8V. So 58.4V is poor.
Yikes! That is quite a high equalising voltage. I suggest that these batteries are not suitable for these inverter/chargers. Even if you had a separate charger to perform occasional equalisation charges, you'd have to disconnect the inverter when doing this. It would be quite a nuisance, I would imagine.

[ Edit: minor changes for clarity. ]
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

@lion6912, You do not need to equalise this battery at 2.7 V per cell. I believe that is a misreading of the manual. I found an English version of the manual here:
http://www.crownaku.com/Resim/Upload/td ... 0hdeng.pdf
I believe it is only saying, as a safety condition, you must stop charging if any cell reaches 2.7 V.

The type of charge profile described in the manual is a very strange one. It is described as being for electric vehicle use. The inverters discussed in this thread are not capable of doing that kind of charge profile. In fact very few chargers of any kind would be able to do it.

You need to obtain a description of a conventional 3-stage charge profile (Bulk, Absorb, Float *) for those cells. Failing that, a conventional charge profile for any flooded lead acid cell of similar capacity should do the job. The charge profile given in the manual in this post would probably be suitable:
viewtopic.php?p=66342#p66342

* Also called Constant Current, Constant Overvoltage, Constant Voltage.
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

I never can change output 230V on mine.

I have a pdf to watchpower if you want.
You can change outpower and equalization.

Thanks Weber.
I have buy my new battery cronw there is 2 weeks.
And I charge at 58V and floating at 54V. It's allright ?
Anf how do equalization ?
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

I would live to know the change of scc firmware ? I have the 1.24
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

lion6912 wrote: Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 19:53 I would live to know the change of scc firmware ? I have the 1.24
Files for updating the SCC firmware are in this post; instructions are in the "SCC Updating" section at the end. Note that if you use patched firmware version 72.70c or later, there is no advantage to updating the SCC firmware. Weber and I added a lot of patches to work around issues related to the SCC firmware version. Updating the SCC firmware is also a little more tricky than updating the main inverter's firmware.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Parallel Compatibility of Various Firmware Versions

There has been some discussion recently, here and in the South African Power Forum, about which versions of firmware are able to co-operate with which other versions, when paralleling more than one inverter. The same issues would affect three-phase systems. I assume that all three-phase systems would have sets of three machines bought at the same time, but for very large systems, another set of three might be added later.

When all the machines run the exact same firmware version (e.g. 72.70c with 72.70c, not 72.70b or 72.70), then there is no problem with paralleling. However, this post shows how some different firmware versions can be paralleled successfully.

This post refers exclusively to 48 V machines rated at 5 kVA inverter output (both 4 kW and 5 kW models).

There have been several major version numbers (the number before the dot) in official firmware versions:
  • 52.XX: these came with older machines, whose SCCs were limited to 60 A. The maximum AC charging has always been 60 A, so the total charge current (setting 2) was limited to 120 A. Updating to newer firmware on such machines gives you the option of increasing the maximum battery current to 140 A, but it will never achieve this. So such updating is harmless. These older machines were all 4 kW/5 kVA. Note that there is another series of 52.30/40/60/70 for 4 kVA/3200 W models, that are not the same as the 5 kVA/4 kW versions. The higher numbered 52.XX (certainly 52.60) have SCC currents limited to 80 A. Perhaps they were the same source code compiled with different #defines for maximum VA and real power.
  • 72.YY, YY < 40: This comes with the 5 kW models (PF1.0) that also have the higher battery voltage limit of 64 V.
  • 72.XX, XX ≥ 40, newer (manuactured 2020 or later): this is one of the areas where firmware version numbers overlap. This indicates a 5 kW model (PF1.0) that also has the higher battery voltage limit of 64 V.
  • 72.XX, XX ≥ 40, older machines (manufactured 2016 or earlier): this series replaced 52.XX for some old PF0.8 models. 72.40⁰ was still limited to 120 A maximum total charge current, hence 60 A for the SCC. 72.6X and 72.70 have the maximum charge current at 140 A, and allow SCC charging to 80 A if the SCC firmware allows it. 72.70 also allows paralleling to a total of 9 machines, as long as they are all running 72.70.
  • 73.XX: This appears to be an update to 72.70. I used to think that this was essentially to control a relay that connects neutral to earth when the inverter is in battery mode, but now I believe that this happens automatically, with no extra logic from the firmware. 73.00 has extra logic for handling CAN packets from older firmware versions, such as 72.40⁰ and 72.60⁰. This allows it to parallel with other inverters with older firmware, up to a maximum of 6 inverters total. It can of course parallel with other inverters running 73.00; if they are all running 73.00 then a total of 9 inverters can be paralleled.
  • 74.XX: This comes with the 5 kW models (PF1.0) that have the usual 58.4 V battery voltage limit.
  • 75.XX: This comes with the dual/triple SCC models. It has a different protocol for the SCC commands, and a different LCD segment mapping, so it's not compatible with models with single SCCs.
  • 76.30 appears to be an updated version of 75.XX, but the compatibility is unknown.
  • 71.XX: This comes with the higher voltage (400/450/500 V) MPPT models. NOTE: some 145 V MPPT models also run version 71.20, and it seems very likely that these are not the same firmware. PIP-5048MKs / Axpert Kings seem to run 71.XX with XX ≥ 50.
For what can parallel with what, resulting in fault code 71 (error 71) if they can't, the firmware uses a constant that it expects the other machines to send in a special CAN packet. These are the constants for the firmwares I have examined, which therefore separate the firmware versions into "parallel compatibility groups". There are additional factors related to our patches that further subdivide the groups. Only firmwares on the same line are "parallel compatible".

f = the LFP version has changed ranges for the Back to utility voltage (setting 12) and the Low cutoff voltage (setting 29)
z = Zero is allowed for the Max total charge current (setting 02)
Constant      Firmware version(s)
101           72.10, 72.20, BC1_72.20a
101z          LC1_72.20b/c/e
101fz         LF1_72.20b/c/e
102           71.80, 71.86 (MK/King)
103           71.92 (MK/King)
112           52.02
116           52.30, 72.40⁰, Pb_Cv.PCH, 72.60⁰, Pb1_72.60a, Pb1_72.60b, 72.61⁰, 73.00
116f          Li_FE.PO4, Li1_72.60a, Li1_72.60b
116fz         LF1_73.00a/b/c/d/e
116z          LC1_73.00a/b/c/d/e
118        *  72.70, PB1_72.70a, PB1_72.70b, 71.71**,  71.80**, 71.80a**, 74.10 (presumed), 74.40 (doesn't parallel properly with 72.70)
118f          LF1_72.70a, LF1_72.70b
118fz         LF1_72.70c, LF1_74.40e (doesn't parallel properly with LF1_72.70c)
118z          LC1_72.70c, LC1_74.40e (doesn't parallel properly with LC1_72.70c)
130        †  75.31, LC1_75.31a
???             74.30

* Note how 72.70 is in a different parallel compatibility group to the other 72.XX (XX >= 40) versions. So it seems that it is possible to parallel 5 kW (PF1.0) machines that don't have the 64 V option with 4 kW machines (PF0.8), as long as the 4 kW machines are running 72.70. It is known that 72.70 will parallel with 74.10 (see this post). However, if the new machine is running 74.30 or presumably any later 74.XX version, it doesn't work. See this post.

** Firmware versions marked with two asterisks are for the PIP-5048MG / Axpert MKS II (450 V SCC, PF1.0); from the paralleling constant, it looks like it might be possible to parallel machines with 145 V max SCCs with others with 450 V max SCCs. However, this seems unlikely.

† It seems that dual/triple SCC models can't be paralleled with anything else, at least at this stage.

⁰ This indicates a firmware version for older machines (manufactured 2016 or earlier). There is a firmware version number overlap with newer models.

The takeaway lesson seem to be that while exact firmware matching is not essential in some cases, attempting to parallel machines with widely different firmware version numbers is likely to fail. To put it another way, having the same paralleling constant is a necessary but sometimes not sufficient condition for paralleling machines of differing firmware version.

[ Edit: Explain the f and z "modifiers"; added info on the 64V PF1 models. ]
[ Edit: The non-LFP version of 72.70a/b were called PB1_72.70a/b, not LC1_72.70a/b. ]
[ Edit: Added note re 71.71. Added 73.00e. ]
[ Edit May 2020: Added 71.80a, 74.40e. Added note re fault code 71. Added "takeaway lesson" paragraph. ]
coulomb
Site Admin

Changing the output voltage

Post by coulomb »

As far as I know, the output voltage setting procedure is not documented at all. My initial research indicated that you have to send it a "V220" command to change the output voltage to 220 V. However, this turns out to be dead code in the firmware; it has no effect other than very slightly wearing out the EEPROM.

Subsequent research reveals that you need a POPV2200 command to change the output voltage to 220.0 V. The other two possibilities are POPV2300 and POPV2400 for 230 V and 240 V respectively.

The on/off switch at the bottom of the inverter needs to be in the off position for this command to succeed, otherwise the inverter will NAK the command and ignore it. I believe that with the switch in the off position, the inverter will shut down in about a minute or so, so don't switch off till you have everything ready. [ Edit: it won't switch off if you have a charging source, either PV or AC-in. ]

You will need a computer with a USB port and a USB to RS232 adapter, and a communications program capable of sending 8-bit characters. The 8-bit characters are required for the CRC characters that are needed at the end of each command.

[ Edit : the USB to RS232 adapter needs to connect to the inverter-charger via the provided D9 to RJ45 cable. ]

Choose one of these methods (or use some other communications program that is capable of sending 8-bit characters):

• • See the end of this post for setting up Tera Term. Note: to enable 8-bit character transmission, you need to find and edit the initialisation file, as per the instructions in the linked post.

Having set up Tera Term, enter the following for 220 V output:
    shift+P shift+O shift+P shift+V  2 2 0 0  m right alt+shift+@ enter

For 230 V:
    shift+P shift+O shift+P shift+V  2 3 0 0  shift+Z right alt+p enter   (CRC corrected)

For 240 V:
    shift+P shift+O shift+P shift+V  2 4 0 0  right alt+shift+_ (underscore, usually shift "-") ` (back quote, usually to the left of the "1" key) enter

 • Alternatively, this post has the CrcGen app for calculating the CRCs and pasting the command with CRCs as hexadecimal into the clipboard. Use with Realterm. NOTE: I could not figure out how to turn on Realterm's hex mode, so if using Realterm, instead of using Scott's CrcGen app, you could paste one of the following strings into the appropriate drop-down box on Realterm's Send tab:
    0x50 0x4F 0x50 0x56 0x32 0x32 0x30 0x30 0x6D 0xC0 (for 220 V; don't copy these comments in brackets)
    0x50 0x4F 0x50 0x56 0x32 0x33 0x30 0x30 0x5A 0xF0 (for 230 V; CRC corrected)
    0x50 0x4F 0x50 0x56 0x32 0x34 0x30 0x30 0xDF 0x60 (for 240 V)

Either way, you should see an "(ACK9 " response (no quotes), and not a "(NAKss".

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to test the above, so I may have slipped up. The commands themselves have been tested, running at 240 V overnight, and at 220 V for several days (thanks, Weber!), but we have a different way of sending the commands, with CRCs generated automatically by our BMS master.

When paralleling machines, they all have to be set to the same voltage. If they are not, an undocumented Error 73 results. The obvious solution is to manually change the voltage settings as required.

If you were running WatchPower, you'll have to exit it (not just close the window). If unsure, see the how to update firmware post for exactly how.

[ Edit: @ is usually shifted. ]
[ Edit: corrected ACK and NAK responses. ]
[ Edit: CRCs calculated in BMS master, not Node-red. ]
[ Edit: arrgh! CRC was wrong for the POPV2300 command. Thanks, Weber! ]
[ Edit: added note re Error 73. ]
[ Edit: Corrected pure hex strings (were all "220"). ]
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

Thanks coulonb. Very very good.
I can try to change 230V to 220V, but I dont know Tera Term, CrcGen, realterm.
It is possible to read EEPROM ?
I have launch Tera term, I select COM1, and I have a dark screen.
What do you do now ?
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

I try realterm, but Where can put " 0x50 0x4F 0x50 0x56 0x32 0x32 0x30 0x30 0x6D 0xC0 "
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

lion6912 wrote: Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 16:27 I try realterm, but Where can put " 0x50 ... "
First, ensure that you have the correct bit rate and port selected, using the Port tab (brown):
Realterm set 220Vb.png
Realterm set 220Vb.png (15.02 KiB) Viewed 16950 times
Note that 2400 is right down the bottom of the "Baud" drop-down box. Select the appropriate port; it varies from machine to machine, and also depends on which USB port you plug your USB to RS232 adapter. (I forgot to mention that you need to connect to the inverter via the supplied D9 to RJ45 cable; I've now edited the original post to include this step.) I usually use Tera Term to tell me which port my USB to serial adapter is on; for me it's port 10 but it could be anything else for you. Sometimes Realterm includes a description of the device connected to the port, sometimes it doesn't. You may have to press Open or Change to actually connect; you'll know when it does connect by the message in the bottom right corner of the Realterm window:
Realterm set 220Vc.png
Realterm set 220Vc.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 16950 times
If it says "Port: closed" then you haven't opened it successfully yet. The "10" could be any number, of course, depending on your computer.

Now go to the Send tab (red highlight):
Realterm set 220Va.png
Realterm set 220Va.png (22.03 KiB) Viewed 16950 times
Tick the two boxes indicated in green. Paste into the dropdown box where the blue is, using the standard Windows key combination of ctrl + v. Then press the Send Numbers button (orange). You should see "(ACK9" as a response. If you see "(NAKss", make sure that the inverter's on/off switch is off. If you see no response, check the bit rate and port settings, the USB to RS232 adapter, and cable to the inverter.

[ Edit: added third screenshot. ]
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

It is GREAT.
Very thanks Mister coulomb.
I am at 220V.
But if I can manualy 220V, I could put over than 58.4V for battery ?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

lion6912 wrote: Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 17:26 I am at 220V.
Well done!
But if I can manualy 220V, I could put over than 58.4V for battery ?
There is a special-order model of the PIP-4048 that allows up to 64 V of charging, if you think you really need to go beyond 58.4 V. I don't know anything else about it, not even a name for it. I assume it has different MOSFETs and higher voltage capacitors, and different firmware.

The attachment is from http://www.voltronicpower.com/oCart2/in ... uct_id=132 .
Attachments
Axpert 64V model.png
Axpert 64V model.png (51.83 KiB) Viewed 17245 times
lion6912
Noobie

Post by lion6912 »

I dont want reach 64V but only near 59.4V . But I dont want crah mosfet or capacitors.
Thanks