PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Tjadenw
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by Tjadenw »

Just a update on the charging issue

I loaded the PIP-MSX 2-3K_MAIN_0243 firmware and everything back to normal again.
Looks like i had a firmware bug on the 0242 firmware.
Goofy
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by Goofy »

Hi Guys,
I have used my PIP-3248MS for 4 mds. now, and very pleased with it.
Now I have finally reached the end of this long thread, thank you all for sharing your experience.
Like you, I have adjusted several times in the bulk & flood settings to find the best level for my LiFePo4 cells. I have 16 100 Ah Thundesky cells in my house and in my litle EV (Kewet) i have 16 180 ah CALB cells. I use the PIP as charger for the EV, and can allso use both 2 "packs" i parrallel to supply the house.

But to find the the best charging levels for the LIPO´s I need som valid logging data to base my choise from. I am not suppressed with the data you get from WatchPower, so what is the best tool for data logging ?

All the data is available in the PIP, but how do you get it out to Excel ? ? ?

Best regards from Denmark
coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb »

Tjadenw wrote: Voltonicpower revealed the 5KVA version of the updated model I mentioned earlier

There is a little info up on the mppsolar site now; there they're calling it the PIP-MSD/MST series (D and T for Dual and Triple MPPT inputs):

http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/pip-msdmst-series/

The brochure (catalog) has a higher resolution image of the LCD screen:

As you can see, it's not very clear, but there are three changes that I have found:

1) This one has provision for two PV inputs. It doesn't look like it has room for 3 PV inputs.
2) There is a new module between the panels and the battery, on the LCD.
3) There are some new indicators to the right of the battery.

No user manual as yet, that I have found. "Available starting September, 2015 this series will be ready for mass production."

The comms input looks totally different. Maybe they just ran out of space for the usual sockets to plug into, and that's a cable gland, or a cover over where a gland would go.

There is also the "intelligent slot", which is presumably for paralleling and who knows what else.

[ Edit: I've since noticed the small print on the the catalogue that indicates that the dual MC-4 contacts are only (at this stage) for 24 V and lower voltage versions (MSX series?). So the above image donesn't apply to the new 48 V models. ]
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 15 Dec 2015, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
solamahn
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by solamahn »

I have a 2424mdx on the way. 2 40A mppt inputs. I will get a 3 x 60A 4048 when they are available.
Solamahn PNG
24x300w, 2x4048ms, 75kw AGM
24x280w, JFY6000
12x300w, 4048ms, 20kw Winston
30x280w, 2x4048V, 12kw AGM
9 x 280w, 3024msxe, 10kw CALB
24 x 300w, 5048msd, 20kw Winston
hwassie
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by hwassie »

Agree with WatchPower useless for data capture.
I am using a Python script to collect data from the inverter and store in a sqlite database.
Basic logic to get data in the attached zip file.
Note: I am not a developer - this was just my attempt to solve my problem.

Collect.zip

H
PlanB

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by PlanB »

Anybody looked at integrating a wind generator into the equation with a 4048? All the generators online seems to come with their own controller setups, no obvious way to work one in with the PIP?
fllniks
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by fllniks »

I am urgently looking for the firmware for 5kVA MPPT model. Unfortunately, MPP Solar links are no longer working. Anyone has the firmware for this model and can share it with me?

Thanks in advance!
coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb »

fllniks wrote: I am urgently looking for the firmware for 5kVA MPPT model. Unfortunately, MPP Solar links are no longer working.
That is most unfortunate.
Anyone has the firmware for this model and can share it with me?
I have two 5K firmware files I have saved, just in case something like this happened:
PIP-MS_5K52.30.rar
PIP-MS_5K72.40.rar

Hopefully, one of those is what you need.

Edit: for completeness, I also have these two SCC (Solar Charge Controller) firmwares as well:
PIP-MS_SCCMPPT1.24.rar
PIP-MS_SCCMPPT4.00.rar

Edit 2: I note that Giant Power have a downloads page now, with 52.30 and 72.40 master (DSP) firmware upload files, as of late December 2015.

Edit 3: As of late March 2016, the firmware is no longer available from Giant Power. I don't understand this "you have to beg for it" mentality. But perhaps people are attempting firmware updates and botching it.
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 29 Mar 2016, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

Image I just had a go at updating the firmware on my PIP4048 to 72.40

Looks like I Bricked it Image

It connects on port 3 via my USB to serial cable on my laptop and then runs for a little while (most I have had it write is about 400 blocks) then it just fails.

running windows 10 .

This is what I get . the write speed starts off at 200 or so then quickly drops off to 1.

kurt
Adverse Effects

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by Adverse Effects »

i would try to find a win XP desktop (not laptop) and give it another go

everything after XP seems to do stupid things with USB that makes it unstable for comms type of things like updating firmware's and even in some cases USB docket printers at times (i part time work on point of sale systems)

i have had to roll back a lot of clients systems and till's that some how get up graded to Win 10 from Win CE but honestly is never the systems owners fault they all say "i didn't click the upgrade button" and i just stand there noding thinking *sure you didn't*
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

I will see what i can dig up. I did try running it in compatibility mode for xp.

kurt
paulvk

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by paulvk »

I have been following this for number of months.
I have two systems running one has 12 x 240w panels 225AH battery T105s the other at present 20 x 240w panels 1000AH VRLA this one is not finished as its only running with one inverter but will eventually have two and 24 panels.
I have months of data from the systems.
I have found that running strings of two panels gives best performance and the solar charger works ok with the panels within a few volts of the battery. Have had 61 amps from the charger.
Losses are a big factor to think about, 4mm solar cable is not good enough a buss is needed I have a 90mm buss on the 20 panels and solar cable on the the one with 12 this has allowed me to see the loses in the 4mm cable and its affect on performance.

I have had no problems with voltage on the batteries and it seems to be charging correctly but I have set the voltages manually as the defaults do not match the battery specs.
Now the one draw back is that with the flooded T105s the unit is not capable of an equalization charge as they need 62volts but as this is done maybe once every six months I could take batteries off line and do this in sets for the 1000AH bank but would need to turn the T105 system off while I did it.

I have a solution to allow remote monitoring via TCPIP and Wifi connection to the units that uses power from the units with no modifications this does away with the USB serial cable.
I use VPN capable routers to link my networks over the internet.

paulvk

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by paulvk »

Keep away from those USB to serial cables when up loading to a micro controller.
Your symptoms are the cable dropping in and out of the system.
Try and find a computer with a real serial port, should be able to get one for free with XP on it.
I write software for Atmel AVRs on a windows 8 system and found that my old Prolfic USB to serial cable was stable after a lot mucking about and stopping windows from updating the driver Note its not suppose to work but it does.
Last edited by paulvk on Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

Thanks, yes its a bit flaky. At times it will fail straght away others it will run a few %. Then it will say no connection.

Kurt

Adverse Effects

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by Adverse Effects »

agreed in trying to find an old system with a true comm port but there getting hard to find and there again you want win XP and back

i have 2 loner systems here that are XP and have true 9 pin comm ports on them if you need to borrow one i am happy to lone it to you even have a 12 inch LCD monitor if needed to go with it

i am on the south side of brisbane 14Km out just PM me if needed
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
fllniks
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by fllniks »

Thanks very much Coulomb for the firmware links!
coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb »

offgridQLD wrote: Looks like I Bricked it Image

It sounds like it's not bricked, and I suspect that the bootstrap loader (the flash code that talks to the PC program doing the firmware update) is somewhat separate from the firmware that gets updated.

But in case you really have bricked it, I have a solution. It's untested, but if you have a bricked PIP, then it sounds like an excellent guinea pig for my diabolic experiments Image

[ Edit: clarified "bootstrap loader". ]
Last edited by coulomb on Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

Edit: Ok I see what your saying. Lets hope it isn't bricked and I will keep that in mind.

I will try a windows XP computer with a dedicated 9 pin serial port. I have other devices Selectronic inverter, motor timing adjuster and a few other things that use software disks written in the windows XP days that use serial coms. They don't work as nice after I upgraded my new PC's to later operating systems using serial to usb adapters.

So investing in a dedicated old school XP area PC/Laptop with a 9 pin serial port might be a good idea. I always liked the Panasonic tough books but they were always silly expensive new. Though old 2nd hand XP vintage are reasonable now days.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
paulvk

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by paulvk »

Looking through the posts I do not see mention of M.E.N http://www.eece.uwa.edu.au/students/saf ... rthing-cpd
I just wonder if those with these units have paid attention to this.
Here we have an example of what can be required as the relay switching in the units leaves the neutral floating
http://www.aeesolar.com/how-stationary- ... ems-differ

If used as off grid with generator the M.E.N should as the article says be in the distribution board of the system.
Might be something to get the sparky to do when they are installed

Note The generator start relay output can be used to operate the relay.
Last edited by paulvk on Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
rinaldoparaipan
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by rinaldoparaipan »

The battery are lead acid Banner Energy-Made in Austria-8 pcs 12V 230Ah.
I set the absorbtion voltage at 57V.The first inverter failed after 10 days of use, without any high loads-maximum 3000W.
The second one is connected with Sunlight gel batteries, 16 pcs 12V 100Ah and failed after 5min Image ,with 500W load.
Both of them had 2760W PV pannels, 4strings of 3 in series(Voc=38.7V, Pmax=230W)
The Jamicon caps 3300uF/63V are probably "custom made" because I have not found the same size(diameter/high).I replaced with Rubicon.
I had installed more than 10 pcs (the old "style", 4048MS and 2424 MSX) and I had no problems with them.

Here are my achievements
www.ecowindsolar.ro
LE Sorry for my English, as you see, I am from Romania.
Last edited by rinaldoparaipan on Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

"It sounds like it's not bricked, and I suspect that the bootstrap loader (the flash code that talks to the PC program doing the firmware update) is somewhat separate from the firmware that gets updated."

Yes not bricked.

I got my hands on a old dell laptop with a 9 pin serial and xp pro. Worked perfect first try. Image

New firmware 72 40 looks to run fine on my PIP

Thanks for the tips guys.

Kurt
paulvk

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by paulvk »

When you loaded the new firmware exactly how was your inverter set up I want to update my ones.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

Inverter was powered up (with dc battery only) the units on/off switch was in the on position.

Had the included serial cable directly from the laptop to the inverter then ran the program (port 1) and just let it run.

Took about 5 mins. a audio chime plays and it displays successful. Then you will see the display on the inverter light up as it comes to life.

Instructions are included in the folder when you download the new driver.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 29 Oct 2015, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb »

Adverse Effects wrote: i would try to find a win XP desktop (not laptop) and give it another go

everything after XP seems to do stupid things with USB that makes it unstable for comms type of things like updating firmware's ...

Interesting. But Weber and I flashed an older (2013?) PIP yesterday with a Prolific USB to serial converter and Windows 10 twice, without a problem. It was plenty slow; about 10 blocks per second and over 7 minutes for the complete update. But it's a big update (some 224 kiB, less some unused space), so that's expected over a slow serial link. The Prolific is the $30 model from Jaycar.

We did it twice because we first tried the 52.30 update, then the 72.40. (These numbers refer to the firmware version number, which can be read from the LCD display menu.) These later firmware updates are not recommended for pre-2014 hardware, since it assumes higher current capable hardware. It looks so far that setting the maximum mains and total charging current to 30 A is sufficient to protect the older hardware from overload. That's not to say that there won't be problems later on. We may put the original firmware (52.02) back again later.

So it looks like some USB to serial devices will work with updating, and some won't. The Prolifics are generally not regarded as the best USB to serial converters, especially if timing is critical. I'm told that converters based on FTDI or Silicon Labs chips, which cost a bit more, are required when timing is critical. It's pleasing to see that they seem to work for firmware updating.
offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD »

That's good to know. I tried several times with the USB adaptor I have and the best I could do before a failure was 9% compleat.

I don't know what brand it is. It works OK for communications on several divises. Including the watchpower program on the PIP. Though no luck with firmware updates.

That USB adaptor was eliminated when using the Del laptop with 9pin serial. So as mentioned windows xp probably wasn't contributing anything to the successful outcome and most likely just a dud USB adaptor.

That said the software for my Selectronic inverter refuses to work on windows 10 (works on win7) so the xp laptop is handy for that and didn't cost much more than a new USB to serial adaptor.

I havn't had a chance to play with the PIP running the new firmware though might this afternoon. So the new firmware enables higher AC/DC charged rate and a higher Mppt solar reg charge rate? Or a higher combined rate?

Was it not 30A PV and 30A AC charging 60a combined on the old firmware?

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.