PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
rthorntn
Groupie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by rthorntn »

weber wrote: Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 10:17 It is compensating for the internal resistance of the battery.
Thanks weber, much appreciated!
4.2KW solar
Two MPP 5048MG inverters
15.36KWH battery (8 x Zenaji Aeon LTO)
Ad Scheffers
Noobie

Post by Ad Scheffers »

Hallo this is the first time I post on this forum. I have 2 Voltronic 5KW Axpert inverters running in parallel into 2 7.5KW lithium ion batteries. The firmware installed is version 74.40 and is running very well. 6 months after installation the first inverter failed the display gone off. They removed the unit because it is under warranty. After a day they came back to me and said it has water damage so they don't repair it. I bought a new inverter and they installed it and while commissioning the system the second inverter blew. They said it is the same problem water damage. I opened both inverters and found that the control board was damaged at the top right infront of the air intake holes. The airflow is causing damage to the components and circuits. I repaired the one board by replacing the 8 series resistors to the display. I then cleaned the inverter and installed the repaired board. I replaced the inverter and commissioned the system. The second control board is beyond repair and I bought 2 new boards from Aliexpress. The problem starts here, the firmware is 52.30 and can not be changed. When I do a upgrade the software works to the point connecting showing the amount of blocks and then nothing else happens. Now the question is can I remove the CPU and replace it with a new CPU and then install the new firmware and if not what can I do to upgrade the firmware.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Ad Scheffers wrote: Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 16:43 Hallo this is the first time I post on this forum.
Welcome!
I repaired the one board by replacing the 8 series resistors to the display. ... I replaced the inverter and commissioned the system.
Well done. Though I think you need something to prevent the same thing happening again. Is this in a wet area, perhaps by the sea?
The second control board is beyond repair and I bought 2 new boards from Aliexpress.
Interesting. Is it your impression that these are genuine Voltronic Power control boards, or clones?
The problem starts here, the firmware is 52.30 and can not be changed. When I do a upgrade the software works to the point connecting showing the amount of blocks and then nothing else happens.
Wow. 52.30 is quite old firmware. It will also have come with an old bootloader, so you can't run factory firmware 73.00 or later on there, as it will result in fault code 90 (error 90) in 6 months of run time. Patched firmware avoids this issue.

Is it possible that you didn't replace all the cables correctly? In particular, it's easy to swap two of the cables with 4-pin connectors (to the SCC and I think comms board).
Now the question is can I remove the CPU and replace it with a new CPU and then install the new firmware
Replacing the CPU with a blank, off-the-shelf CPU means no bootloader, so you'd need some way of getting a bootloader in there. I have such hardware, but it's not cheap (mine is cheap, but it's slightly modified hardware). You also need Code Composer Studio or similar, and know how to use at least parts of it. Removing the old CPU without damaging the board requires special tools and skill, and soldering in the new chip isn't easy either. Finally, you need a bootloader image. All of this is on the edge of possible, if you're desperate.
and if not what can I do to upgrade the firmware
This is uncharted territory. I suspect that the replacement control board is subtly different to the latest ones. I think you may have to order a genuine control board via your Axpert supplier, preferably with the correct firmware (or close to it) already installed. They will want photos of your sticker with the bar-code, and photos of the machine to confirm the exact model. There are different control boards for different models.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Ad Scheffers
Noobie

Post by Ad Scheffers »

Thank you Coulomb for coming back to me. To answer your questions yes I stay next to the sea here in Cape town and it's very wet in winter. As for the cables no I didn't swap them the SCC board is not even installed, I removed everything and only installed the control board and coms board. I have removed the CPU from the board and fitted the new one I have all the equipment to do that but I am not a very good with software. As for your last question the supplier of the inverter does not want to sell me a board he only wants to sell me the complete inverter. If I knew where I can buy a new board I will do that immediately.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Ad Scheffers wrote: Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 19:50 but I am not a very good with software.
Then sorry, there is no hope for that board.
If I knew where I can buy a new board I will do that immediately.
I read somewhere (this forum or the PowerForum) about someone who obtained a control board or main board from Ebay. Perhaps you can find the post and try the same vendor. Of course, you may end up with another control board that won't update. Perhaps look for signs that it's intended for a modern model. Firmware version 52.30 is from back around 2013-14 (unless it's another version number overlap).
Ad Scheffers
Noobie

Post by Ad Scheffers »

I didn't mean I am not good with software in the way of using it. I am not good in writing software but I use software every day. Is it possible that you can get me the software for the boot loader I am looking for hardware to buy, if you have any suggestions of what to buy that would be appreciated. I am sure I will sort this out.
tueddelkopp
Noobie

Post by tueddelkopp »

Hello and Greetings from Germany, i am Rolf and i am new in this Forum.

I have a 4 kW / 5 kVA / PF0.8 Inverter with triple SCC, the Solarpower24 PRIMO MKS TRI 5K-48. I want to use it with 3 Pylontech US2000 LiFePo4 Batteries and with a Grounding Box to connect Earth to Neutral in Inverter Mode.
My first Problem was that my original Firmware 75.10 hasn`t had the Option 38 to use the Grounding Box, so i tried the patched Firmware 75.31a from this thread but this Firmware do not have the Option 38 too.

Finally i got a Firmware 75.21 from my Supplier that enabled the Option 38 to use my Grounding Box correctly.

Now i want to ask kindly if it would be much effort to apply one or some patches to this Firmware. It would be nice to have ...

* The repaired premature-float bug
* Firmware revision display screen contains patch revision

and it would be even nicer to have ...

* The bulk/absorb to float transition occurs with a different current threshold: (sum of maximum charge current settings) divided by 12.
* Float to bulk charge stage transition occurs at 1,2 V under the float setting.
* The battery low warning occurs at the cutoff voltage plus half a volt, and returns at cutoff plus one volt.

... too.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Ad Scheffers wrote: Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 21:10 I didn't mean I am not good with software in the way of using it.
Ok, sorry if I was too dismissive.
I am looking for hardware to buy, if you have any suggestions of what to buy that would be appreciated. I am sure I will sort this out.
You will need a JTAG emulator/flash programmer, preferably one that is XDS100 compatible, because that means you can use it with TI's Code Composer Studio for free.

Something like this would be suitable: Olimex TMS320-XDS100-V3 . It states in its documentation that it is XDS100-V3 compatible, and works with Code Composer Studio (CCS) for free. Using any non-XDS100-compatible JTAG interface means that you have to pay a license fee for using CCS. To download CCS, you need to register and declare that you're not from a country that the US can't export technology to.

If you're handy with hardware, it's possible you (or other readers) could save a few dollars by modifying something like this: Texas Instruments LAUNCHXL-F28069M Development Board , though I haven't done exactly this myself. Basically, you have to disable the C2000 chip that comes with the development board, and just use the JTAG interface based on an FTDI chip. You'll have to find the appropriate JTAG signals, make up a 14-way ribbon cable, and connect to the appropriate signals. This path seems like a hard way to save a little money, but other readers might be interested, especially if they have a TI development board already. I think it has to be a C2000 development board (so you can't use a development board for an ARM or MSP430 chip, as far as I know), but I believe that you can set the exact C2000 device in Code Composer Studio, so it doesn't have to be for the exact same C2000 chip on the control board for the inverter.

Send me a PM when you get close to needing the bootloader image. I don't want to distribute Voltronic Power intellectual property publicly, especially not to clone manufacturers who have not paid for it (you paid for yours by buying an inverter), and seek to make a profit from selling their copied hardware without the cost of developing that hardware and IP.
Ad Scheffers
Noobie

Post by Ad Scheffers »

Thank you very much, I am going to order the board from Digi key when it arrives I will contact you
alexanry
Noobie

Post by alexanry »

greyworm wrote: Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 18:19 The second one was purchased a few days ago from EASUN on Aliexpress - 5048MS 64VDC.
... At night, it "feeds" on LTO batteries in the 21S8P system, made of 66160 cells with a capacity of 40Ah each (168 units)...
Hi Chris, I have the same 2 inverters from EASUN on Aliexpress which works in parallels with 3 LTO battery packs from Aliexpress supplier with following battery system: Combination: 20S LTO battery, Nominal Capacity: 150Ah, Nominal Voltage: 48V, Input Charging Voltage 56V, built-in 150Ah BMS. Could you pls advise me the inverter's (MPPT) setting for charging this battery system (float and bulk charging voltage, etc.). I have replaced my old AGM battery pack to new LTO system few days ago and looking for any useful information for system maintenance and inverter settings
Each LTO cells have following recommendation:
• Nominal Voltage: 2.4V
• Recommended charging voltage: 2.80V
• Recommended discharge protection voltage: 1.60V
But i'm not sure is the 56V (2.8*20) optimal charging voltage

Best regards
Alex
greyworm
Noobie

Post by greyworm »

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had a very busy last few weeks.
My battery is a 168-cell 40Ah each in 21S8P chip.
I charge (via BMS self-funded from several independently purchased elements) with voltage of 55.6 V.
With the help of an active balancer (flying cell) with a working current of 2A, I keep the battery in balance.
Cell voltage inequality is not more than 0.07V.
This charging voltage charges the cells to 2.65V.
According to the specifications, my cells have a rated voltage of 2.3V, a maximum charging voltage of 2.7V, and a minimum discharge voltage of 1.6V.
The battery has been working for over a year and the voltage has never dropped below 45V (2,14V per cell).
So my battery, you could say, was never discharged.
Now, after changing the inverter and the firmware in it, maybe in winter it will be discharged to 42V, time will tell.
This will discharge to 2.0V per cell ...

The last weeks, despite my busy schedule, were not wasted.
Lots of measurements have been made, to show that the BMS was the reason the inverter tripped.
The BMS was set to 120A (the maximum inverter current from the battery according to the inverter data is 117A).
However, when starting heavier loads, such as an oven or a heater in a washing machine, the overcurrent protection in the BMS worked.
I switch to 200A (its maximum current) and ... the problem is gone.

This way I have a spare inverter :D
Each LTO cells have following recommendation:
• Nominal Voltage: 2.4V
• Recommended charging voltage: 2.80V
• Recommended discharge protection voltage: 1.60V
In my opinion:
Maximum charging voltage (charging cut-off) - 2.80V
Minimum discharge voltage (discharge cut-off) - 1.65V
The nominal voltage of the cell - 2.4V (in my case 2.3V - there are such and such).
So charging with an average voltage of 2.8V per cell, i.e. 56.0V, in my opinion, if the battery does not have a BMS system (properly configured), it may result in a reduction in the life of the cell (battery) at best.

Charging the battery directly with an inverter simply applies voltage to the battery.
The inverter does not distinguish how many cells are in series, and it does not know what voltage is on each of them.
It just gives you voltage and current.
Unfortunately, the differences in the internal resistance of individual cells mean that the current is not evenly distributed among all cells and some of them reach their maximum voltage earlier and others later.
The BMS disconnects the charging after any of the cells reaches the set (maximum) voltage and starts balancing the battery, trying to equalize the voltage of all cells.
Due to the battery capacity, I used an external balancer (the one in the BMS is disabled in the configuration) with a so-called "flying cell" with an operating current of 2A.
The balancing circuit in the BMS has a working current of only 200 mA and is inefficient for such a large capacity (320 Ah for each group)

This circuit (balancer) checks the voltage at each cell (cell group), compares it and charges its super capacitor from the one with the highest voltage.
Then switches to the cell with the lowest voltage and discharges the super capacitor into it.
And so on over and over again until it reaches cell voltages no more than 0.005V (yes, 5 mile Volts).
The device is so "smart" that it automatically turns off at a voltage lower than 2.0V on the cells, and turns back on when the cells reach 2.15V (configurable).

Exceeding the threshold voltage of the cell causes a very quick jump to the "higher world" - the cell goes into a voltage of about 3.65 - 3.75 V.
It happened organoleptically when I tried with my cells.
Interestingly, discharging to the "factory" voltage range returns the cell to the "normal world", that in the range of 1.65 - 2.3 (2.4) V.
I have two cells that remain from the purchased batch and have had such an adventure and so far behave correctly.
They do not work in a large battery - they are used for other purposes, including experiments with welding small metal elements using their current (current efficiency measured for one is 409A and for the other 411.6A at full short-circuit and voltage drop to 1.65V) - 2 second impuls :P

Regards,
Vy 73 de SP9XCC,
Chris (Krzysztof)
----------------------------------------------
5,1 kW PV in use (10 x 125W in 2S5P + 15 x 255W in 3S5P),
2 x 5048MS series,
168 cells of 40Ah 66160 LTO battery in 21S8P ~15,3kWh at 48V DC,
4,5kW DC water heater with PWM control,
cdaubern
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by cdaubern »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 09:53
mave wrote: Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 20:35 I have a 4048MS with Error 51 and exactly same behavior.
Last time I read the firmware related to error 51 (fault code 51) in this post, I seemed to think it was associated with a 192 A limit. Upon reviewing the code now, I see I was confusing samples with amps (these differ by a factor of 25). It occurs after reading either of two current samples, and occurs when the sample exceeds an "overcurrent limit". This limit starts out at 40 A, but is increased to 80 A when in battery mode and nothing bad goes wrong. The error only happens when the current limit has been increased to 80 A. There are two AC current sensors, I believe that one measures inverter current, and the other measures load current. I assume that these currents are instantaneous, not RMS. Even so, 80 A peak translates to abut 56 A RMS for a sine wave, which at 230 V is some 13 kVA. There is a separate current limit (not called the "over" current limit, just the ordinary limit, which starts at 32 A and increases to 65 A. 65 A peak translates to 50 A RMS, which represents 10.5 kVA, just over the Volt-Amp limit for the inverter (overload allowed for 10 seconds). So a reading of ≥80 A is pretty bad, and hence it triggers fault code 51.
When disconnecting the solar panels, it seems to work ok for a few days, but after 3-5 days the error re-occur.
I don't understand why disconnecting solar panels would have any effect. Perhaps it's merely co-incidental, although another poster also mentioned the connection.
So it seems to me that it's an "overcurrent" read for some sensor.
That agrees with my reading of the firmware. Assuming that nothing catastrophic is happening, such as an intermittent short circuit of the inverter or load outputs (perhaps a protection MOV is breaking down prematurely), it has to be either the Hall Effect sensor (blue), or the current transformer (looks much like many of the other transformers, with yellow tape over the windings). Or of course the circuits associated with those sensors; presumably there are filter and amplifier components.

[ Edit: Quick note re 192 A confusion. ]
Just something to think about, I was repairing a 4048 with low voltage output, one of the IGBT drivers were faulty, did not have one in stock and took one from a board that were constantly in error 51, the error then transferred to the other board, took another one of the old board and the inverter was fine, no error 51 or low voltage anymore.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I've added the following to the post about calibrating your battery voltage. Sigh.

This is embarrasing :oops: I didn't realise that this command is missing a call to save the new value in EEPROM! It's only saved in RAM, so you will lose the setting as soon as the battery is disconnected, or there is a main firmware update, etc. You might think that changing a setting would save the EEPROM, but there are 4 sets of EEPROM data, and the battery calibration is part of EEPROM set 1, and LC Display settings (whether changed by the display/buttons or a command) save EEPROM set 2.

There are two ways I can see to save the settings: use the undocumented PSAVE command, or a command that changes a variable in EEPROM set 1. POPV (Put OutPut Voltage) is probably the easiest of these, and can be sent from Watchpower or other monitoring programs. As with any EEPROM change, you have to actually make a difference for it to be actually saved to EEPROM, otherwise the firmware avoids EEPROM wear by not changing a value that doesn't seem to need changing. So you could change the output voltage to 220 V, then back to 230 V, for example. Note that POPV is a command that has to be done when the inverter switch is OFF. The inverter won't switch off completely if you have a charging source (PV or AC-in), and even if neither of these are present, it takes some 30 seconds (from memory) before it really switches off. Be generous with your timing; you don't want to be writing to EEPROM just as the power goes down. It could corrupt all the settings, including calibration values that you aren't even aware of.

This explains why my battery calibrations sometimes don't seem to be effective.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Thanks Coulomb. No need to apologise. Instead you are to be praised for discovering this and informing the rest of us.

I note that there is a whole post on the POPV command here: https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=66646#p66646

But the PSAVE command sounds like it would be a lot more convenient. Does it require any parameters? And what CRC characters need to come after PSAVE and the appropriate parameter(s)?
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

weber wrote: Wed, 07 Oct 2020, 09:55 But the PSAVE command sounds like it would be a lot more convenient. Does it require any parameters? And what CRC characters need to come after PSAVE and the appropriate parameter(s)?
PSAVE has no parameters. So it would just be the usual two CRCs, which happens to be two printable characters, 'm' and '0' (without the quotes, 6D and 30 hex):

PSAVEm0return

Edit: I have not tested this command, but it should work according to my reading of various firmwares.

Edit2: I forgot to mention, even one of the latest firmwares I have (version 74.40 for 58.4 V PF1.0 models) has the "save to EEPROM" code missing.
Henwilsch
Noobie

Post by Henwilsch »

Hi i am sorry if this is a duplicate question that was handled before. This is massive [ topic ] with a lot of info.

I got a Rectron RCT-AXPERT 5K that I want to use with a Pylontech US3000 Li-ion battery. The firmware of the inverter is U1 52 30. I don't think it is suitable for Li-ion batteries.
My question: What version firmware would be the best to use to upgrade the inverter to suit Li-ion batteries?

I am scared I brick the inverter if I pick the wrong one.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Henwilsch wrote: Wed, 14 Oct 2020, 16:03 The firmware of the inverter is U1 52 30. I don't think it is suitable for Li-ion batteries.
My question: What version firmware would be the best to use to upgrade the inverter to suit Li-ion batteries?
That sounds like quite old firmware; is the inverter made in about 2015? They didn't even get the fans right back then.

If so, patched firmware version 73.00e (LFP flavour) would be best. The latest firmware version numbers sometimes overlap with older ones, just to make life interesting :shock:
Henwilsch
Noobie

Post by Henwilsch »

Thanks Coulomb,

I will give it a try.
gnomzhenya
Noobie

Post by gnomzhenya »

Hello. Is it realistic to add in the firmware, the mixing mode in the hybrid inverter? PIP-4048MS The inverter is now running on your LC 72.70c program. So that the inverter can simultaneously! to charge the battery from the network and solar energy when in the DC / AC mode?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

gnomzhenya wrote: Thu, 15 Oct 2020, 23:52 Hello. Is it realistic to add in the firmware, the mixing mode in the hybrid inverter?
If you mean blending utility charge current and PV charge current, then these inverters have always done that. That's why the maximum charge current is 120 or 140 A: up to 60 A of utility charge current, plus an additional up to 60 or 80 A of PV charge current.

If you mean blending utility power with battery and/or PV power, then this is technically possible. I believe that some models (not the PIP-MS models) do this under some conditions. I don't have enough faith in and/or knowledge of the control loops to do this. Also, it's almost certainly illegal, since it will inevitably export puffs of energy when the loads suddenly decrease, so it probably needs certification, which is not practical unless you are a large manufacturer.
gnomzhenya wrote: Thu, 15 Oct 2020, 23:52 So that the inverter can simultaneously! to charge the battery from the network and solar energy when in the DC / AC mode?
Edit: I've just realised that by DC/AC mode you probably mean battery mode. What you want is not possible in the 5 kVA models. The only AC-DC converter is the inverter configured in reverse. So with power flow from AC-out towards the battery, the only way to power the loads is with the utility. So then you are in line mode. If what you want is when there is enough PV power available, to un-invert the power flow and push power from the battery / PV towards the load. This becomes the same situation as the above: technically possible, but highly problematic.
gnomzhenya
Noobie

Post by gnomzhenya »

Thanks. Yes, I meant powering the load and simultaneously charging the battery with the Panels and the network.
Henwilsch
Noobie

Post by Henwilsch »

Hi,

I have upgraded the firmware to dsp_LF1_73.00e and got everything connected. I do have a problem that the Pylon battery never charge to full capacity. It would get to 88% SOC(read from battery)and then charging stop. I have even changed bulk charge up to 58V and float to 57V, it seemed to charge a bit better and 88% was achieved.
I have read the document about DYNAMIC CHARGE CURRENT AND LOAD CONTROL and it mention connected to BMS. Is there a way to connect Pylon battery to the Axpert inverter or what BMS is re fir to.
I use this software http://www.multisibcontrol.net/ to read the Axpert and Pylon. Is there something else that is better.

My SCC firmware is U2 01 24. Could this be a potential problem and should I try to upgrade to U2 04 10?
Henwilsch
Noobie

Post by Henwilsch »

Just a update:

I had it set to 53V B and 52V F yesterday morning and found that the Pylon was at 98% SOC when I got home at 5pm. I think that 53.5V that I had it on before is maybe to high and that is what caused it not to charge properly.

This is still a question: My SCC firmware is U2 01 24. Could this be a potential problem and should I try to upgrade to U2 04 10?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

No need to update the SCC firmware. Fully patched firmware such as 73.00e has special code to deal with the odd behaviour of some SCCs. It's better than factory firmware in that regard. [ Edit : this was done specifically to prevent the need to update SCC firmware. ]

The too-high charging voltage recommended by Pylontech and other battery manufacturers continues to be a problem.
Henwilsch
Noobie

Post by Henwilsch »

Thanks Coulomb. Things looking better already.