AVASS Battery order details

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
jonescg

AVASS Battery order details

Post by jonescg » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 14:02

Hi All. I have decided I will put some information about the AVASS/AEVA battery deal here for reference.

Firstly, the origin of the cells was Brighsun, and their electric bus project. Sadly the bus project fell over, so they were keen to liquidate the cells. They had about 2 MWh worth of LFP cells - most were 460 Ah cells and about half as many 220 Ah cells. They contacted the AEVA asking if our members would be keen on them - and the price being offered was outstanding. $60 each, regardless of whether or not they were the big ones or the little ones. Clearly a 'want it gone' sale.

These cells would not be ideal for small passenger vehicles; on a bus you can have 9 tons of battery and plod along at 80 km/h without stressing them too much, but cars, not so much. They will be ideal for home solar storage though, so it was decided that we would split them up into 16-cell allotments - 16 cells in series is the 48 volts required for most Li-ion battery connected inverter-chargers. This meant there would be about 56 of the bigger batteries (about 23 kWh) and 38 of the smaller ones (11 kWh).

I spent about three days doing nothing but replying to emails and updating spreadsheets, then another week collecting moneys and paying allocations to AVASS. As AVASS was packing the cells up, they realised there may not be enough of the bigger cells. Since a battery with less than 16 cells is kind of useless, I suggested they make up any short battery orders with twice as many of the smaller cells. This way every body still gets what they asked for. This was done, but they also charged for the extra cells! Being $1920 out of pocket there needed to be a way of re-jigging the orders and not all of the options were fair at all.

As it turned out they did have enough of the big cells to meet everybody's requests. I asked that they be re-packed to reflect this, so now the NSW and QLD orders are correct and the WA orders have changed a bit accordingly too. At least now everybody gets what they asked for, at the price they paid, and nobody is going to be out of pocket. Well, I might be out of pocket because of the new shipping costs, but it won't be much. Charging the same price for a smaller battery sure creates some inequity...

Another frustration is that the two orders for northern NSW will be going to Sydney and AVASS won't re-pack them again. Sorry to those two orders, but we'll just have to call on our community to make sure you can get them up the coast at the lowest cost possible. Likewise an order destined for Cobargo might need to go as far as Nowra and can be picked up half way.

Anyway, the reality is 95 of our members have been offered access to batteries at prices never to be seen for at least another 10 years. It's a silver lining on an otherwise cloudy outcome for EV manufacturing in Australia, but at least the DIY crowd here can make it work. A 23 kWh battery for a thousand bucks is a cracking good deal in anyone's language, and it's unfortunate that the 11 kWh batteries were the same price. But we can't be greedy either.

The orders will be shipped to the following locations:

TAS - Tasfreight Launceston. Please liaise with Christopher Walkden about this shipment
ACT - Mark Hemmingson's place in Murrumbateman.
NSW - Ewan Maxwell (E-max Electrics) in Carringbah.
QLD - Suzi Auto, Springwood. Please liaise with Graeme Manietta.
SA/NT - MiCycles, Thebarton. Mic Chapman will manage these.
WA - Solarfocus, East Vic Park. David Langridge will manage these.

Victorian members have already paid for and are able to collect their cells from AVASS directly.

Hopefully that covers the headache that is the great battery offer of 2018. I hope more cheap cells pop up, but I won't be managing it :o
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

dgh853
Groupie

Re: AVASS Battery order details

Post by dgh853 » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 15:13

Thanks Chris!

You have done an awesome job and I thank you and others involved for putting yourself out to give these batteries a new life and to help fellow AEVA members.

As a thank you to Chris for all his efforts perhaps those receiving the batteries would like to make a "thank you" payment to Chris for his efforts. Maybe once all of the payments have been transferred to AVASS, the same bank account could be used to thank Chris or perhaps Chris you could suggest another account for us to share our appreciation.

Cheers,
David
2015 Outlander PHEV Aspire
2014 Zero SR
2013 Nissan Leaf

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 22:12

Hi David,
dgh853 wrote:
Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 15:13
As a thank you to Chris for all his efforts perhaps those receiving the batteries would like to make a "thank you" payment to Chris for his efforts.
An excellent suggestion IMHO. As an absolute minimum, Chris should definitely not be out of pocket for extra freight costs for the WA cells, I'll be claiming at least my share of that.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Jun 2018
Total Petrol: 586.8L
ODO: 42885
Av Consumption: 1.37 L/100km

nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 06:14

dgh853 wrote:
Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 15:13
Thanks Chris!

You have done an awesome job and I thank you and others involved for putting yourself out to give these batteries a new life and to help fellow AEVA members.

As a thank you to Chris for all his efforts perhaps those receiving the batteries would like to make a "thank you" payment to Chris for his efforts. Maybe once all of the payments have been transferred to AVASS, the same bank account could be used to thank Chris or perhaps Chris you could suggest another account for us to share our appreciation.

Cheers,
David
I absolutely agree with this.
I am doubly lucky to get them freight free (Vic) and will be chipping in.
Thanks again Chris.
Cheers Andy
tinker

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 09:14

Thanks guys,
We'll see where it all ends once the cells are picked up. They still haven't left Melbourne yet.

Seems all other states are sorted except WA now. Likely they have packed additional cells on the WA order by mistake and don't want to remove them. Fair enough, people will line up to buy them - but they won't let them leave until its sorted...

Never again... :|

Update - it's all sorted now. Sigh... Hopefully they will all leave today.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 08:54

And finally they are on a truck destined for Murrunbateman, Launceston, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.
Phew!
Loaded Batteries Lrg.jpg
Loaded Batteries Lrg.jpg (114.19 KiB) Viewed 199 times

mark_hetho
Noobie

Post by mark_hetho » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 09:08

Thanks for all your efforts!

I owe you a debt of gratitude. Also a carton of beer (or equivalent).

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 09:53

Batteries have reached Adelaide and Sydney already - please get in touch with Mic or Ewan respectively to collect your cells!

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 14:16

Some pictures of the 23 kWh and 11 kWh battery allotments thanks to Mic in Adelaide!
460 Ah cells in Tesla boot.JPG
460 Ah cells in Tesla boot.JPG (189.94 KiB) Viewed 126 times
220 Ah cells in boot.JPG
220 Ah cells in boot.JPG (173.79 KiB) Viewed 126 times

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 21:15

Just letting everyone know that Queensland's order has made it to Springwood, and all of the shipping consignments have been paid for. We can expect Tassie's shipment to arrive in Launceston tomorrow some time, and WA at the end of this week.

The final bill came to $92,100 for cells and $7919 for freight.

The clearing account I'd set up had a payment of $525 in it referenced: "FERGUSON SOLAR BATTERIES". The amount looks like a half-payment but I have no matching records for it. Anyway, because of this extra payment I was able to pay the full shipping bill with $76 to spare. If not for this I would be about $449 behind...

So until someone identifies as Ferguson, I will say "thanks for your help in getting the invoice paid on time!" :?