Road trip - Tas to Bris

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
Roger-c
Noobie

Road trip - Tas to Bris

Post by Roger-c »

Hey all,

We are planning on taking the Kona from Tassie to Brisbane in January. I have looked at ABRP and looked up charging stations on the way and made a rough plan for stops etc.
We will be stopping overnight in Canberra, and again in Port Macquarie.

I'm new to the EV, have never used a public charger (only had the car a month) and was wondering if anyone has any tips, or things to avoid/be careful of when going to charging stations...
Is there a way to find the fast ones, as don't want to end up with little range and find only a 7kw charger to hook up to...

Thanks!
jonescg

Re: Road trip - Tas to Bris

Post by jonescg »

As always, the 5 P's will make life easier. Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performances.
Scan Plugshare like a hawk to see if chargers are operable, and if not, try to look for an alternative nearby.
But most importantly, be prepared to take your time. It might be a longer trip than anticipated, so take a book and relax.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Roger-c wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 09:39 Is there a way to find the fast ones, as don't want to end up with little range and find only a 7kw charger to hook up to...
DC fast chargers on Plugshare are orange, AC chargers are green.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

My top tips:
1. start with 100% each morning.
2. DC charge to 80% max at each stop.
3. Time your stops for mid-morning, lunch and mid-arvo DC charging.
4. If stopping at an NRMA Tritium charger for lunch, hit the 100% button on it and leave your ph no and a note to say ok to unplug if over 80% on the dash should you take an over-relaxed extended lunch. 😆
5. Carry a 3.6kW portable EVSE.
6. PM me if you want to drop in for a coffee and charge at my 7kW EVSE here in Melb. ☺
Cheers
Bryce
P.S. that way, trips in a Kona are no slower thae an ICE car. For instance done Coffs Harbour to Melb in 2 days in my Kona doing those.
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Bryce wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 11:44 My top tips:

4. If stopping at an NRMA Tritium charger for lunch, hit the 100% button on it and leave your ph no and a note to say ok to unplug if over 80% on the dash should you take an over-relaxed extended lunch. 😆
Will it let you do this? Doesn't it lock the plug in until it has finished charging?
reecho

Post by reecho »

brunohill wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 18:03
Bryce wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 11:44 My top tips:

Will it let you do this? Doesn't it lock the plug in until it has finished charging?
Yes the plug is locked to the car but depending on how the Veefil is setup you can hit the stop button and the lock will release. That is also dependant on the lock behaviour in the car which in Hyundai's case is adjustable.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Roger - yes, the plug is locked, but:
(a) if you pop back to the car you can set the charge % down below the current state of charge via the dash - the charge will then stop, or
(b) they can hit the 80/100 button down to 80% and the charge will auto stop.

ABB chargers are harder to stop without doing the manual reset of the charge level inside the car (or using the app) - but these are also usually at roadhouse servos so:
(a) you aren't far away so it is only moments to be back and
(b) given these are usually at stands of multiple chargers - there is less likely to be a crowding issue to need disconnecting in a hurry!
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Conference 2020 Promo V4.png
AEVA Conference 2020 Promo V4.png (757.8 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Bryce wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 11:44 4. If stopping at an NRMA Tritium charger for lunch, hit the 100% button on it and leave your ph no and a note to say ok to unplug if over 80% on the dash should you take an over-relaxed extended lunch. 😆
Regarding this specific item, it prompted me to create this post about Need2Charge as an alternative :) (didn't want to drag this one off topic - please use the other thread for general comments about the app!)
Roger-c
Noobie

Post by Roger-c »

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it :)
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

My longest trip ever in the Kona was Coffs Harbour to Canberra >800km. We did it easily in a day with four stops at 50kW NRMA chargers with partial top ups while having toilet or coffee or meal breaks. The motel we stayed at in Coffs had two Tesla destination chargers which worked just fine to have us full to 100% overnight.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.