Urgent advice for Kona EV owners

Hyundai Interest Group
barwonev
Noobie

Urgent advice for Kona EV owners

Post by barwonev »

URGENT Attention all Australian Kona EV owners

I have just received the following reply to my message to Hyundai Australia.
I am angry about being kept in the dark until I messaged them. This is very inconvenient for us as we garage for security ( as indicated on our insurance premium) and for solar charging

Screen shot from my Facebook Messenger app attached
4D541436-ECA2-483F-83FF-0D5D9DD5CEB4.jpeg
4D541436-ECA2-483F-83FF-0D5D9DD5CEB4.jpeg (434.78 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Cheers,
Brian
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - Ceramic Blue
LORAX
Groupie

Re: Urgent advice for Kona EV owners

Post by LORAX »

Hmmm ... yes very concerning.

Hyundai Australia don't seem to be in the loop, or proactive in seeking clarification from Hyundai Head Office. Certainly the original response Hyundai Australia gave my dealer was that Australia was not affected, but that didn't make sense.

Watch this space I guess.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

LORAX wrote: Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 10:31 the original response Hyundai Australia gave my dealer was that Australia was not affected.
That's code for "we've run the numbers to see if it's cheaper to do the recall or let people burn in their sleep and it looks like paying out on a couple of burnt out houses is cheaper"

But now they are re-running the numbers taking the financial hit of bad PR into consideration.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

:lol: :roll:

Bad PR should be the thing they will be trying to control. Not good for the brand and would be a major hit I think.
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
kartikatre
Noobie

Post by kartikatre »

Hey Lorax.

This is concerning!

Are you still going ahead with your order?

I am also awaiting my delivery and in Perth.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

I first posted re this on https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6689 thread, so two threads on the topic, but this warrants the new 'urgent' advice in the subject.

The information seems to be based on a recall of models March 2020 and prior build date.

I have sort clarification on my new vehicle build date and asked for the VIN number so I can do my own check today from the dealer. I certainly won't be accepting a vehicle with a build date in the problem period since this is a new purchase, and I would think that it is unlikely, but I'm not in the know for how these things work.

By the way, which dealership are you waiting for your vehicle from? I've gone through Morley.

In general, the sales reps don't seem to be on top of this or interested really, which is a shame. You'd think they'd be passionate and informed about the cars they sell. I had a great rep at Honda Burswood - young, knowledgeable and knew his stuff across brands. If I could have bought an EV from him I would have purely on the service he provided - a car sales person who added value - rare as hen's teeth, but no EV for Honda yet.

I guess its watch this space ... I'll post a response here if I get one from my dealer.
Lorax

4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

LORAX wrote: Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 17:16 You'd think they'd be passionate and informed about the cars they sell.
Certainly not in my experience!
A recall is not a particularly unusual thing, it's not like they'd all be running around panicking. For instance this one, also Hyundai, also potential for a fire, also recommended 'don't park in your garage' : https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/hy ... -fire-risk
97,000 vehicles in Australia alone.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Best advice is to not have the car fully charged for any great length of time. something owners should be doing in any rate for battery longevity.

As I said before wait until Hyundai SK give HMCA the service packs and then see what is determined. The US recall doesn't start until December.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Here's the campaign details from the US. One outlines the 00D005 campaign which is a 4 way update including BMS. The other outlines the battery replacement process.

When the 4 way update is done the 12V battery saver option disappears from the cluster.

Internal resistance and voltage deviation checks are done in packs under 36500kms. So to me they don't expect packs with more kms than that to fail.

MC-10176179-0001.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
MC-10173530-0001.pdf
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
sleeperpservice
Noobie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Thanks for that information quite interesting to see those internal documents.

Someone posted on the ioniq forums an article that the Konas top buffer was small and this contributed to the fires.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/batt ... ost-432303
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

I had an update from Hyundai following my response to my original post. I have posted this on the Facebook Australian Ioniq & Kona group but for completeness I am posting it here
Attachments
B9D813BD-6B8F-4C4D-8F0B-A25242250755.jpeg
B9D813BD-6B8F-4C4D-8F0B-A25242250755.jpeg (313.42 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Cheers,
Brian
kartikatre
Noobie

Post by kartikatre »

LORAX wrote: Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 17:16 I first posted re this on https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6689 thread, so two threads on the topic, but this warrants the new 'urgent' advice in the subject.

The information seems to be based on a recall of models March 2020 and prior build date.

I have sort clarification on my new vehicle build date and asked for the VIN number so I can do my own check today from the dealer. I certainly won't be accepting a vehicle with a build date in the problem period since this is a new purchase, and I would think that it is unlikely, but I'm not in the know for how these things work.

By the way, which dealership are you waiting for your vehicle from? I've gone through Morley.

In general, the sales reps don't seem to be on top of this or interested really, which is a shame. You'd think they'd be passionate and informed about the cars they sell. I had a great rep at Honda Burswood - young, knowledgeable and knew his stuff across brands. If I could have bought an EV from him I would have purely on the service he provided - a car sales person who added value - rare as hen's teeth, but no EV for Honda yet.

I guess its watch this space ... I'll post a response here if I get one from my dealer.
I am with John Hughes in East Vic. Received my VIN and checked on Hyundai Recall and the productsafety.gov.au. Nothing so far. My build date is March 2020 - so on the cusp. Plus, I get my car tomorrow! My dealer is aware but is giving me the usual official party line.

My car is white...Will let you know if it becomes smokey gray :lol: :lol: :shock: :(
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

No recalls as of two minutes ago for my Oct 2019 Kona.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Update: Have my VIN and checked that through the website recall, and like you, all clear for now.

I suspect my car is in the same batch as yours as they have just arrived in Perth, so likely the same build date.

John Hughes was obviously much better organised getting you into your car. How's the weekend of driving your new car gone?
Lorax

barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Just a comment on VIN checking. Our build is January 2020 and there is no recall shown on ours. First thing we checked. I guess the only folks who may have a recall currently indicated are those who may not have had the BMS software update.
Cheers,
Brian
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

BMS software update
And you would expect that this update is conducted as part of the pre-service prior to handing over the new car.
Lorax

kartikatre
Noobie

Post by kartikatre »

LORAX wrote: Sun, 25 Oct 2020, 07:50 Update: Have my VIN and checked that through the website recall, and like you, all clear for now.

I suspect my car is in the same batch as yours as they have just arrived in Perth, so likely the same build date.

John Hughes was obviously much better organised getting you into your car. How's the weekend of driving your new car gone?
It was great! Lovely car. So comfortable... Traded in my petrol guzzler. Now we are an EV only family. A Model 3 and and a Kona Electric :D

As to my early delivery, possible that I got it early as I settled for the usual black interior? Did you ask for blue grey?.

Anyways, Enjoy the car.
K
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Did you ask for blue grey?
Yes - we figured it would get less hot inside with our hot Aussie climate and hence reduce the cooling A/C, although did note someone saying the ventilated seats reduced their need to turn on the cooling. That was also why we went all white (although had originally selected the TTR blue ceramic with white roof - but they have stopped manufacturing that colour - jealous of you ceramic blue owners). Seems they have gone with the darker colour combos with black roof - better suited to the colder European regions maybe?

34 degrees C today in Perth. Bring back winter!
Lorax

LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

NZ have apparently announced the recall

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/429 ... ch%202020.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123199 ... ching-fire

The key dates in these articles Kona electric vehicles made between September 29, 2017 and March 20, 2020
Lorax

LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Lorax

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Kona electrics being recalled in New Zealand:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/429 ... -fire-risk

Surely Australian Kona electrics will be recalled now too.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

LORAX wrote: Mon, 26 Oct 2020, 17:06 The key dates in these articles Kona electric vehicles made between September 29, 2017 and March 20, 2020
Surely they didn't make any before September 2017, so that's all electric Konas other than the last 6 months of production.

Wikipedia's page on the Kona electric states that sales started around 2018.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.