After sales paint protection and window film

Hyundai Interest Group
LORAX
Groupie

After sales paint protection and window film

Post by LORAX »

HI,

I'm a newbie and just ordered a Kona Highlander EV ... just have to wait the 3 months for it to arrive! (sigh).

Now that I've signed the contract, I have had the after sales call trying to sell me the paint protection and window films. In the past I've never opted for these, but would appreciate anyone else's experience here. Getting the ceramic blue with white roof.

thanks in advance.
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
brendon_m

Re: After sales paint protection and window film

Post by brendon_m »

It's normally cheaper to just drive around the corner to tint-a-car or similar and get it done there. That's all the car yard does and then charge you for the job AND their time.

In terms of the the actual product I'd definitely get the tint, it makes a world of difference.

I've fell for paint protection before because I was told I'd never have to polish the car. Turns out in the fine print it says you have to reapply a special chemical to the paint by washing the car, rubbing in this compound and then buffing it off once a year to keep up the protection (apparently it's not polish/wax...) and not doing it voids the 'lifetime' warranty.
On my outlander I use some of that diy 'ceramic' coating in a spray bottle. It seems to be just glorified rainex for the whole car but it works well and does make the car shinier and easier to clean and lasts 6 months to a year and a $30 bottle does 2 applications
Last edited by brendon_m on Wed, 26 Aug 2020, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Very helpful advice Brendon.
thanks so much.
Lorax
Lorax
Environmental sports car that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

Typical dealer hard sell. I find tint worthwhile, but unless you are on a novated lease or similar and get tax advantages by paying front up front then as above go and find your nearest supplier and get it done for half the cost.

Personally I reckon lint protection is a big rort, especially for the double markup from the dealer. Ask them why the factory uses inferior paint and hint another brand might be a better option.

If you must get paint protection get a retailer to do it for half the cost, they’ll do more than get an apprentice to rub a bottle of ‘special’ stuff over the car.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Thanks - feedback from various sources indicating the paint protection not worth it, but tinting worth considering.

Just looked into this further. The standard vehicle glass seems to have the 90+% UVB protection (certainly what my 10 year old Sante Fe has), but its the UVA that tinting is helpful for as normally only 30% protection.

Found this article on canstar about tinting
https://www.canstar.com.au/car-insuranc ... ting-cost/

There is also The Australian Cancer Council fact sheet on car tinting
https://www.sunsmart.com.au/communities ... rt-workers

Its the bad tinting jobs you see on cars that puts me off I guess. Ultimately nothing stopping me from 'slapping on the sunscreen' for longer driving trips.
Lorax
Environmental sports car that speaks for the trees.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Our experience over a number of years with both dealer-supplied and aftermarket tinting is that dealer-supplied products don't seem to be the same quality as after-market products. For vehicle purchases over the past two decades we've used a number of reputable after-market tinting companies (usually not the ones advertising aggressively on radio and TV, or online these days) and have always been happy with their performance and durability.

Interestingly, the best tinting job we had done was about 25 years ago after the dealer-supplied product bubbled and peeled shortly after the 12-month warranty expired. The new tinting was done by a small husband-and-wife local company that had excellent word-of-mouth recommendations and was still good as new the day the vehicle itself expired about 13 years later! And it cost less than the dealer-supplied option.

Since that time, the only options we ever add to a new vehicle purchase are factory options (and I get that in writing on the sales contract!).
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km
reecho

Post by reecho »

For tint go to your local tint shops. As the Kona has privacy glass in the rear 2 different tints will be used to keep it legal.

Paint protection is a personal choice and it depends if the car is garaged etc. The paint quality on my 2019 is very good and holding up well.
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

LORAX wrote: Wed, 26 Aug 2020, 10:12 HI,

I'm a newbie and just ordered a Kona Highlander EV ... just have to wait the 3 months for it to arrive! (sigh).

Now that I've signed the contract, I have had the after sales call trying to sell me the paint protection and window films. In the past I've never opted for these, but would appreciate anyone else's experience here. Getting the ceramic blue with white roof.
Lorax,
If you're in NSW, just a money saving tip.
Don't buy this aftermarket stuff from the dealer (unless someone else is paying for the car) until after delivery.
The price gets added to the bottom line and you pay stamp duty as well as GST on it.
Floor and boot mats, type 2 charging cables etc. can be bought from the spares department after delivery with only the GST impact.
For the accessories that have to be factory fitted - well you're stuck there. The stamp duty will come into it.
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

I would not bother with the paint protection. After quite a few company cars, I have to say that the Kona has one of the strongest paint I have ever had. I sold my last ICE car, a Honda CR-V, after 1 and a half year and I actually paid to replace the front bumper and paint the front of the bonnet due to a few scratches and many small chips from stones collected from my frequent country Victoria trips. But last I checked on the Kona, not a single chip. Although thanks to COVID-19 my country trips have somewhat reduced.
But I would always recommend the window tinting. Much cheaper than the treatment for skin cancer. My work includes working at the Peter Mac Cancer Center and I hope never to visit as a patient.
As for the flore mats all around, I visited a carpet shop, found a cheap one extremely close to the paint colour and got enough for the full car and more for $100.
Now I’m very seriously considering the frunk thing from Austria.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 September 2020 (1 year of ownership)
36'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new