EV plate label kit

Hyundai Interest Group
bje
Groupie

EV plate label kit

Post by bje »

Before I throw out the little plastic bag my EV plate labels came in, I thought I would post the details here for archiving. The EV plate label kit from Hyundai consists of two blue triangular "EV" labels to attach to your number plate, and two rivets. They cost about $5.50 a pair.

The part number is 8631554738.
tonyw
Groupie

Re: EV plate label kit

Post by tonyw »

Funny. I was sent them (at no cost) by the NSW Government and told I had to affix them to the car or else I would burn in the fires of hell.

I've since seen quite a lot of them on cars that I did not realise were hybrids.
cheers

tony

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Interesting - no obligation to install them in WA...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

...yet....
I was thinking of getting some for my cars as a bit of subtle EV advertising but it was all too hard to get them made. This seems to be a cheap and easy solution for me, I'll order some tomorrow I think.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

tonyw wrote: Sun, 16 Aug 2020, 18:51 Funny. I was sent them (at no cost) by the NSW Government and told I had to affix them to the car or else I would burn in the fires of hell.
That is true in NSW. At least in the ACT, we have to buy and affix them ourselves.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - these have been available via AEVA for several years! ($10 a set posted: $5 cost ... $6.10 if posted ... rest to AEVA as a donation)

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3386&p=69986&hilit ... ate#p69986

Just email me to get a pair sent. EVNews@bigpond.com

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I saw that posting but I thought they were different to the (supposedly) national specifications.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Seems to be some discrepancy between the states. Some use the blue diamond sticker and some use the blue triangle rivet-on version.

Thank goodness we live in the one country and speak the same language. How on earth does the EU manage to standardise anything??

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

Bryce wrote: Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 13:28 Seems to be some discrepancy between the states. Some use the blue diamond sticker and some use the blue triangle rivet-on version.

Thank goodness we live in the one country and speak the same language. How on earth does the EU manage to standardise anything??

Cheers
Bryce
The blue triangle is the Australian Standard. As far as I can tell the diamond is something Victoria did unilaterally.
In the ACT and probably anywhere other than Victoria, state legislation requires the blue EV triangle. In the ACT, the triangle is required for any vehicle with a high voltage traction battery (hybrids and BEVs) that was made after 1/1/2019. This has been required since 1/1/2020. However, until at least quite recently, dealers have been supplying cars without the triangle attached. In the case of Hyundai, the head office started putting them in the glove box for the dealer to attach when they get plates but the message didn't filter through to the local dealer who, at least until recently and perhaps still, left them in the glove box.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

I bought my car from Crawfords in Brookvale, NSW, as dealer demo car. They (illegally now in NSW) sold me the car with no Blue triangle EV plate.
Eventually, the local Service centre (where you register cars in NSW) arranged for some, & now keep them in stock. To my knowledge, the first set are supplied free.
It is now a legal requirement to have the plates fitted to applicable vehicles in NSW. (Fine if not fitted)
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

I've previously wondered if it is a requirement of EVs travelling on NSW roads or just NSW registered vehicles. If I drive an ACT registered vehicle in NSW, are triangles required?
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

bje wrote: Sun, 27 Sep 2020, 09:41 I've previously wondered if it is a requirement of EVs travelling on NSW roads or just NSW registered vehicles. If I drive an ACT registered vehicle in NSW, are triangles required?
I presume that a car registered in another state or territory is only required to have complied with the registration requirements of that other state when travelling in a different jurisdiction within Australia. The states and territories largely manage to harmonise their requirements so it is of little consequence.
In the case of EV triangles, I would say you could be fined in NSW for not having them because the ACT also requires them by the letter of the law, even though it has not yet started enforcing that. On the other hand, a Victorian car with Victoria's EV diamond would not be fined, I expect, but it would be if it lacks any EV symbol on its plates.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.