I've got my Kona

Hyundai Interest Group
Bryce
Groupie

Re: I've got my Kona

Post by Bryce »

Ditto on the congrats-and enjoy! Until covid, had cruised all over Vic and as far northern NSW in mine. Looking forward to the day I can escape again in mine ...
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

LORAX wrote: Thu, 29 Oct 2020, 08:13 No recharging planned and should in theory have 100+km to spare.
With any new EV, the battery might take a few charge cycles to calibrate the range remaining estimation and to get the cells of the battery nicely balanced for maximum range. So, don't panic but be a bit careful.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

don't panic but be a bit careful
Ha ha ... great advice!. As a well known 'planner for worse case scenario', stopping in at a friend's in Bunbury and can plug into their solar if worried, and then have the charging station at Donnybrook (1/2 hr on and 1/2 hr away from Bridgetown) if that moment of panic arises.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

RAC Electric Highway® - Donnybrook
Crowley Place Donnybrook WA 6239 AU
https://www.plugshare.com/location/77670

Donny tardis has no power. Hence no DC nor type 2 AC
Type 1 is powered, need type 122 adaptor to charge.

Donny and Bridgetown still DC CCS1

Bridgetown type 2 OK
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 58
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

LORAX wrote: Thu, 29 Oct 2020, 08:13 The LORAX has finally arrived ...
Congratulations ... Yours looks shinier than mine. Perhaps it has something to do with the 32 km of dirt road mine travels every day.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

We made it!

Perth, via Bunbury, to Bridgetown with about 150km range remaining. Had full a/c on all the way, middle of a 30 degree day, cruising at speed limit max 110km/hr. Plugged in to mains power overnight (9pm - 7am) and back up to 66% charge. Relatively intuitive to drive and control features, but there is a lot going on on the dash.

Still obviously getting used to it and playing with the settings, but after my first drive (after dealer to home) my initials thoughts:

POSITIVES
- LOVED adaptive cruise control.
- LIKED ventilated seats when I got back in the hot car after my 1 hr Bunbury pit stop
- LIKED how I could 'listen' to my text messages as they came in
- nice cool morning in Bridgetown and actually tilted my sunroof open on the way into town for breaky ... and the draw of the cool was actually quite nice. I might become a sunroof lover covert yet!
- Relatively intuitive to drive and control features, but there is a lot going on on the dash.

NEGATIVES
- HATED Lane Keeping assist
- you certainly hear the road noise (didn't manage to get my NEXEN tyres changed out)

UNDECIDED/need to read up still/to be actioned
- still working on the perfect seating position ...
- need to work out how to make a call (hadn't set that up in time before departing - the car is just over 24 hrs old)
- need to sort out the volume for my spotify between phone and car
- thinking I will invest in the frunk/froot, so much room and certainly will make access easier for charging en route
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

It seems road noise is a large part of the noise in a car. Some times I put my Pajero in neutral on the highway to get a sense of how it will be like after the conversion and there is almost no difference. When the petrol engine is idling you can barely hear it. So m9st of the noise is road and wind noise. (I feel a little disappointed that it won't be much quieter at that speed)
Getagrip
Noobie

Post by Getagrip »

Got mine today! Happy, happy...
Going to take a while to get used to it and still much to learn. Gave it 60km drive in the metro area with spouse on board. She loves it already and hasn't even driven it yet.

Cheers

Getagrip
Attachments
789F435C-5C86-4AC7-AD94-9DFB1F43B543.jpeg
789F435C-5C86-4AC7-AD94-9DFB1F43B543.jpeg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 77 times
"This time next year, we'll all be millionaires.
You know it makes sense."
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

francisco.shi wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 12:17 ... (I feel a little disappointed that it won't be much quieter at that speed)
Yep. That is how it is. At low speed and stationary, you notice the lack of engine noise and vibration in an EV. At high speed, wind and road noise dominate in any car. Others have commented that the supplied Nexan tyres are particularly noisy and things got quieter when they were replaced with low rolling resistance Michelins.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.