Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
mikedufty

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by mikedufty »

Converts to around $67,000 in Australian Dollars.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

Looks like model 3 still it (price won't be much different?). I saw Kona (explosive version) on the road, amazingly, similar size with leaf. How on earth they fit that much battery?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think the Kona can fit that much battery because the Leaf wasn't really trying...
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
reecho

Post by reecho »

mikedufty wrote: Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 09:14 Converts to around $67,000 in Australian Dollars.
It's not that simple.

NZ does not have a free trade agreement with SK. Add to that the market is much smaller that AU.

Jump onto the Hyundai NZ page and compare pricing to the locally delivered models. You will get a sense of the scale.

Example: in Au 2018 Hyundai Accent Sport $18990AUD. The same car in NZ is $31990NZD.

The Renault Zoe sold in NZ was early 70's as well. That car is $50k here.

We have it on good authority it will be $50k here when it arrives in Feb next year. I'm waiting patiently.. :-)
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

It is that simple, I didn't say the Kona would be $67,000 in Australia, I just posted what the NZ price is in Australian dollars, in case other people were interested. That is what it would cost in Australian dollars if you go to New Zealand and buy one. At the moment you can't buy one in Australia.
reecho

Post by reecho »

mikedufty wrote: Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 20:32 It is that simple, I didn't say the Kona would be $67,000 in Australia, I just posted what the NZ price is in Australian dollars, in case other people were interested. That is what it would cost in Australian dollars if you go to New Zealand and buy one. At the moment you can't buy one in Australia.
People on this forum will be interested in AU pricing.
Aevzer
Noobie

Post by Aevzer »

When will they be releasing the Kona in AU?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Likely release is Feb 2019. Hoping for a more definite announcement from Hyundai at the EV Expo & Conference in Brisbane. (They are bringing one to the Expo I believe: looking forward to seeing it!!)

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
SparkJoy
Noobie

Post by SparkJoy »

Will be great to see more EV's in Australia from the OEM's. The Kona looks pretty good... well only from the Bjorn Nyland Youtube vids I have watched.
alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 »

Bryce wrote: Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 07:54 Likely release is Feb 2019. Hoping for a more definite announcement from Hyundai at the EV Expo & Conference in Brisbane. (They are bringing one to the Expo I believe: looking forward to seeing it!!)

Cheers
Bryce
Awesome, I should be able to attend that. Very keen to see the Kona too. But it's all about how much that extra space is worth in purchase price ($) when compared to the model 3. We will see...
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The basest of base Model 3 is likely to start at $60k in Australia thanks to the exchange rate, and the fact Tesla is releasing tricked-out performance versions well ahead of the cheaper options. The Kona is a Model 3 competitor in that it's an electric car with a long driving range, but that's about it. Model 3 is definitely there to fill the premium sedan market.
alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 »

jonescg wrote: Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 10:26 The basest of base Model 3 is likely to start at $60k in Australia thanks to the exchange rate, and the fact Tesla is releasing tricked-out performance versions well ahead of the cheaper options. The Kona is a Model 3 competitor in that it's an electric car with a long driving range, but that's about it. Model 3 is definitely there to fill the premium sedan market.
Being a competitor in the long range affordable EV segment isn't to be understated though, In the next 12 months we might get the new leaf, the model 3 and the Kona. I've been saving for the model 3 for a long time now and watching those potential prices go up, so the choice for me is the premium high performance expensive option (model 3), or the more sedate, smaller, $? option (kona). I will definitely be making a choice between the two. I know which one I want more but the difference in price will for sure be a factor.
Keeping in mind that the exchange rate was higher when the model 3 reservations opened, I would consider a lot of model 3 reservation holders will be considering the Kona.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yes and Hyundai's latest musings on price aren't boding well...
https://www.caradvice.com.au/682173/hyu ... c-pricing/
alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 »

jonescg wrote: Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 11:54 Yes and Hyundai's latest musings on price aren't boding well...
https://www.caradvice.com.au/682173/hyu ... c-pricing/
Tell em they're dreaming.

No matter how they swing it, the prices will be compared to the petrol version of the same car.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

mikedufty wrote: Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 23:41 I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.
More like equal it. With the current exchange rate, I''d be surprised if the entry level Model 3 came in at under $55 000, and I think $60 000 is more likely.
This makes sense, since the price in America of the two cars is also similar as far as I can tell.
reecho

Post by reecho »

PiMan wrote: Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 08:05
mikedufty wrote: Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 23:41 I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.
More like equal it. With the current exchange rate, I''d be surprised if the entry level Model 3 came in at under $55 000, and I think $60 000 is more likely.
This makes sense, since the price in America of the two cars is also similar as far as I can tell.
Actually to buy a Model 3 here with the same range as the Kona it will be around $76,400AUD on the road in NSW...Being the base spec with long range battery and nothing else.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

And obviously noone would want to be a short range Model 3 due to our "long commutes"
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

just had a test drive of the Ioniq, and was asking about the Kona, according to dealer, arriving either April, or December 2019...
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
reecho

Post by reecho »

I have been told that now AU and NZ build Kona Electric will be the same. All Kona Electric cars delivered so far in NZ have been irish spec cars.

Pricing for the "Elite" trim has been pegged at $53-55K AUD plus on roads. The premium trim will be a little more like the Ioniq.

Link below is info including NZ brochure, UK user guide and first responders guide.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l9gzM ... awEwhDJa_i
never
Noobie

Post by never »

Spoke to dealer last week he advised that Kona release is postponed to later in year. So I assume Dec. a most likely date. Dealer said those on the "expressions of interest" list would receive email notification when more info was available.
alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 »

never wrote: Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 12:14 Spoke to dealer last week he advised that Kona release is postponed to later in year. So I assume Dec. a most likely date. Dealer said those on the "expressions of interest" list would receive email notification when more info was available.
Anything further on this? I typically don't place too much value in what dealers tell me.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi-agree re dealers not being good sources of coming vehicle info. Have put myself on as many interest/info/press release lists with Hyundai as well as dealers as I can in the hope of getting reliable info. Will post as soon as I hear anything definite.
Cheers
Bryce
reecho

Post by reecho »

According to a dealer in Melbourne pre orders have started. In WA they know nothing. We are called Wait Awhile for a reason.. :-)
50646880_10218337055679212_6574872001280737280_n.jpg
50646880_10218337055679212_6574872001280737280_n.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Melb dealer reportedly has taken 10 deposits for Kona electrics already.