The full Hyundai Ioniq range headed down under

Hyundai Interest Group
Ultralights
Groupie

Re: The full Hyundai Ioniq range headed down under

Post by Ultralights » Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 14:14

Just got back from a Ioniq test drive in western Sydney, great looking car, and 5 sold already today, apparently no interest in the PHEV of hybrid versions, all interest is in the electric. first batch will be delivered in selected trim and colours, so no choice of anything really if you want one of the first deliveries.

on the bad side, apparently the Kona might not be here until December 2019.... argghh
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev

decryption
Noobie

Post by decryption » Thu, 03 Jan 2019, 17:08

I picked up my Ioniq electric a few days ago :)

Enjoying it so far, pretty damn fancy compared to the cars I previously owned (a Getz, a Corolla and a Magna). Most of the things I like about it are features you can get on a fancy petrol car (radar cruise, active lane keep assist, CarPlay/Android Auto).

The actual driving of it isn't really any different than a well made $50k car. Main difference I've noticed is the immediate throttle response compared to a petrol engine. Driving a petrol car now feels like a laggy internet connection. Press the accelerator, wait a second, then things start happening - whereas with the Ioniq (even in Eco mode), it's practically instant.

If anyone's got any questions about it they'd like to ask an owner feel free!

I'll say up front:
  • The TCO over 5 years for me (~30,000km/yr) is about the same as a Hybrid Corolla. Running costs are low, but initial purchase price is really high ($49k on road vs. $30k for the Corolla Hybrid).
  • CO2 emissions are higher than a hybrid (but lower than a petrol/diesel) thanks the to coal powered grid in VIC, but I have solar at home and a special charger that can be programmed to charge only from excess solar generation which lessens the grid's impacts, so it's about break even with a hybrid to be honest. By late-2019/early 2020, the VIC grid should be clean enough that an EV emits less CO2 than a hybrid.
  • Range is ~200km and it's certainly not as flexible as a petrol car due to having to plan my trips and make sure there's charging infrastructure around if I'm going to go more than 100km (need 100km to get back!).
I mainly bought it because it fits my lifestyle (solar at home, do 150-180km round trips 3-4 times a week) and I wanted to treat myself and get an electric car because I like the idea and want to support more of them on the road.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 13:29

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to get first hand info without the sales pitch a car sales type view would put on it. Looks great, can you spec up to a great battery capacity/range than 200kms? How long does it take to recharge after a 200km drive with big hills and freeway speeds involved?
Green but want to learn

decryption
Noobie

Post by decryption » Sat, 05 Jan 2019, 17:18

Hyundai only offer it in a single battery size unfortunately - 28kWh.

The Ioniq can charge via CCS2 (~50kW), which will take the battery from 0% to 100% in around 30 minutes. The on-board AC charger can suck down 7kw, which will fill the battery in around 4 hours from empty.

Most of my driving is on the highway (mainly the M8 between Ballarat and Melbourne) and I get approximately 8-9km per kWh. Around town in traffic it's more like 11-12km per kWh.

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 14:12

decryption wrote:
Thu, 03 Jan 2019, 17:08

If anyone's got any questions about it they'd like to ask an owner feel free!
Congrats!! Thinking to geek out connecting to the car via OBD-2? I can't seem to find standard Ioniq app out there (i.e. Google).

Then again, it's unlike Leaf where you need one :lol: . I'm impressed how Hyundai advertise the battery range in usable term (unlike Leaf advertised in name plate kWh, but not usable).

And that efficiency figure. Wow, just wow :o

decryption
Noobie

Post by decryption » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 19:19

Rusdy wrote:
Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 14:12
Thinking to geek out connecting to the car via OBD-2? I can't seem to find standard Ioniq app out there (i.e. Google).
Hyundai has an official app - Auto Link Premium. Comes standard with the electric variant of the Ioniq. It's just an OBD2 device with a 3G SIM & GPS built in.

The app is a bit rough, doesn't do the most important thing an app for an EV should do - show the current battery percentage and if it's charging, how long until it's done!

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Wed, 09 Jan 2019, 14:37

decryption wrote:
Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 19:19

Hyundai has an official app
Another wow. I'm impressed here :o :shock:

To be honest, after owning Leaf for 3.5 years, the remote control for climate (i.e. turning on AC remotely) is the only thing useful (and somehow become a compulsory function for me these days). Everything else is nice to have (yup, for me more important to have this feature than 'long range' (i.e. >200km)).

I'd rather have good functional fast charger (like 100kW rate) than big battery capacity (if I can get cheaper price).

Tristan
Noobie

Post by Tristan » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 14:21

I'm eagerly awaiting being able to buy either the Hyundai Kona or the Kia e-niro :D . Finally reasonable price electric cars that have enough range to allow me to commute around the city but also visit family in regional Victoria on the weekends (I need range of around 350km anything over that is a bonus). I'm 37 and I have been hearing since I was a kid that cars would be electric soon, I would've already had one if I had the money for a tesla model s. I've been scoping out the DC fast chargers near my house to see how well utilised they are. The Moreland city council is the closest for me and it seems to be free of charge. It is well utilised though, according to the plug share app a lot of cars are checking-in there.

Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 16:30

Took one for a spin, nice, super snappy from 30-100km, didn't seem as punchy off the line as the Leaf which I recall last time i drove it lacked in that 30-100. Quieter than the Leaf. We now have one of each at work. The Hyundai leather wheel is nice and the instrument display changing when you changed modes was cool.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 11:05

Who has managed to charge their Konas / ioniqs at 3 phase Tesla Destination HPWC chargers when the HPWCs are set to Tesla Mode?
DIP switch 2 in UP position.

I've test charged Jon Edwards' Kona Elite at
a) Alkimos - https://www.plugshare.com/location/130455
b) Baldivis - https://www.plugshare.com/location/66307
c) my home single phase HPWC; DIP switch 2 UP.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 210

MontyT
Noobie

Post by MontyT » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 17:10

yes at destination chargers it works, the kona does charge, not at the super chargers tried nothing happened

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Mon, 20 May 2019, 13:33

Watch out for HPWCs with Part no. ending in 02 or 03.
These are locked into teslas only it seems.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 210