Why we bought the 2020 Ioniq

Hyundai Interest Group
sleeperpservice
Noobie

Why we bought the 2020 Ioniq

Post by sleeperpservice »

I thought I would share our experiences what led us to buy the Ioniq and owning it for the last 5 months

Having had a go in the 28kWh version at an Electrikhana I really started to think about moving to an EV and started working the numbers. The range of that car was not inspiring given our south west trips and when the 38kWh was announced I started working on the Mrs about whether we could afford it, given our 2 cars were 14 and 19 years old with one needing a clutch replaced and the other probably not actually road worthy given suspension issues (It's only really used when as needed). Part of the metric was environmental as these cars were turning out nearly 5t of carbon a year given our mileage @ ~$2500, servicing was getting more expensive. 90% is around town trips and I don't need a car for work and the 38 seemed about right. Could we stretch for a Model 3, sure but it didn't seem worth the extra dollars even with the Ioniq's slow DC fast charging speed. Space issues ruled out the Kona for my Mrs and the Leaf didn't feel quite right even with V2H possibilities.

What sold me on the Ioniq
  • The great efficiency
  • The normality of the car and the driving experience
  • Didn't have a massive battery we didn't need all the time and the embodied CO2 in production
Things I was worried about
  • Not having a tow bar or roof racks. We do have access to family cars if we need to tow
  • Not a dedicated EV platform so compromises that would need to accomodate the PHEV and hybrid versions
  • Batteries bursting into flame given our young son would be seated atop of them
I started working around a whole 'Going Electric' package to justify the large outlay to get the EV. We could save $5000 a year and over 5 years that would bring the car back to costs of similar spec'd ICE hatch backs. The production CO2 could be recouped in about 2 years and we could charge from solar.
  • Solar Savings - $1000
  • Fuel and Service Savings - $2400
  • Sell Second Car - $1200
  • Use less gas for heating - $400
At the end of last year we kind of decided that we should go for solar first then wait a year before making a decision, maybe more models would be released in Oz and prices may edge more competitive, we could even wish for government incentives. Hey there Kia! The e-Niro looked a promising option.

We organised a solar install after trimming 3 large jacarandas and removing 6 palms that shaded our roof (quite a cost I have factored in) and then the bush fires happened. We realised doing nothing was not really an option and that getting an EV would reduce our CO2 footprint over the next 10 years along with a tiny market signal that we don't need petrol anymore. I had been tracking our household CO2 and we hadn't really been making much progress. I know the best thing we could actually do is move to not owning cars etc but I believe we can make small changes to effectively reduce our emissions. Also I believe individuals can contribute even though 'other countries' are the problem or big industries spew way more. It is a small rise in human produced carbon compared to the whole carbon cycle that has tipped the system out of balance.

* A note on the solar export. We are going to export a lot more than what I have counted here but as we received the STC based discount I believe I can't count this for their duration so I have only counted 15 years worth of exports but spread over the 25 they are warranted for.

We ordered the Premium edition in red in January, along with the home charger and we told we'd have a 3 month wait, probably 5. ( I try not to kick myself to much for not knowing about the discount)

The total outlay was going to be $72500. This includes Car, Home Charger, BYO type 2 cable, 5kW Solar System, two rounds of tree pruning (3.4k), finance costs and crappy trade-in on one of our cars.

COVID hit and we thought what the hell are we doing, should we cancel? The car was delayed, we held out and luckily so did our jobs and eventually we received it mid May.

Fantastic really brought a smile to my face driving it around that I still get. The Mrs still thinks its not real we drive around in an EV but absolutely loves it. It's really the perfect car for our needs.

I have been tracking a whole bunch of stats about driving and charging that I will share in another post about living with the Ioniq these past 5 months over 7500kms and how it compared to my estimations. Sneak peak its spent 187 hours charging!
Rusdy
Groupie

Re: Why we bought the 2020 Ioniq

Post by Rusdy »

Thanks for putting so much an effort in your buying decisions (and share it).

It's very encouraging when someone puts embodied emission AND home charging infrastructure research into the decisions.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Generally when it comes to sustainability, really expensive things aren't sustainable.
Like a $1 million eco-friendly home isn't really eco friendly compared to say, a sea container. But you have to spend something to get quality, and I think the Ioniq hits the mark nicely. It does 95% of what a Model 3 does, for $30k less.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi CJ - that would make a great EVNews article!

Feel like sending me a copy in doc or odt format and separate image files (1MB or above)?

No rush - EVNews is full (72 pages this time!) and just went out to the proofers, so deadline for next edition is Dec 15.

With thanks
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

P.S. Your Ioniq looks great in red!

Cheers
Bryce
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing. I love your reasoning.
The e-Niro was my first choice but bought the Kona as I was starting to loose sleep driving an ICE car when all my calculations put the EV ahead. For the planet AND my back pocket. I would have preferred the Ionic but needed at least 400km range for my job.

One important difference, I do not have a charger at home. As it is extremely rare that I do not spend 12 hours at home, a 240Vac/10A plug using the supplied “granny” cable gives me more than 150km of range every night.

And one left of centre comment, it takes about 20’000 litres of water to grow 1kg of beef.
Going from meat every day to vegetarian is better for the planet than driving an EV vs an ICE car.
Enjoy the Ionic.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 September 2020 (1 year of ownership)
36'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi Paul - oops, mistook you for Chris Jones! Would definitely love to put your Ioniq article above in the next edition of EVNews (our national newsletter). Will PM you with my details.
Cheers
Bryce (EVNews editor)
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

On the 'most sustainable things you can do' scale I think we win. No kids. Boom. 8-)

But repurposing otherwise destroyed batteries for home storage and driving a modest EV are pretty effective middle class things to do.

I still eat beef though.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Also love the red and great snap at the top of Kings Park too!

Like you, the other half is also doing the whole roof top solar charging etc. As an engineer he is trying to design the optimal tilt for the panels to maximise winter solar power, with most solar companies lacking in the detail (or want of). And like Patrick we need the 400km range otherwise the ionic was the choice for us with better rear passenger space and all round good looks and styling.

On a positive, the LORAX is coming - licencing preparation underway and waiting on confirmation for pickup.
Lorax
Environmental sports car that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
sleeperpservice
Noobie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Thanks for the kind words on the post.

@Bryce ive responded to a dm from @4Springs

We are fully cognizant that buying a new car is not the best thing for the planet, buying a used Prius would have been better but we plan on running it for a long time and as the WA grid improves so will our emissions which ICE cars definitely won't do.

<self justification overdrive>I also spent 11 years not having a car

We struggled with winter solar charging at home tbh mainly a combination of short days, car being away during the day or cloudy when it was.