New IONIQ Electric Owner!

Hyundai Interest Group
eevblog
Groupie

New IONIQ Electric Owner!

Post by eevblog »

Bought a new 2020 IONIQ Electric Elite today!
Pickup shortly from stock, August 2020 build, so just arrived.
Great thing is I effectively traded in my 2014 Corolla and got the IONIQ for FREE!
With the trade in price, the recent government business cash flow boost (it's a company car), instant asset writeoff benefit, and being able to claim the GST back, I'm essentially not out of pocket at all for swapping the car. Pretty sweet deal.

Looking forward to being a fully electric EV owner.
No plans to install a Level 2 charger yet, as weekly mileage won't be much, and I think most usage scenarios will be covered by the supplied 240V 10A trickle charger lead.
Anyone else running with just the supplied lead?

What charging cables should I get and keep in the boot for the most flexible on the road charging? Although I don't expect to need them unless going on a long trip.
From what I gather it's handy to have one these Type 1 to Type 2 cables?
https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/p ... ing-bundle
And what is the best app/website to use for finding charge points?
jonescg

Re: New IONIQ Electric Owner!

Post by jonescg »

Well that sounds like a better deal than the one we tried to set up for AEVA members! I can tell you're still not a member, so what was the price on the invoice?
Happy electric motoring!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 17:49 Well that sounds like a better deal than the one we tried to set up for AEVA members! I can tell you're still not a member, so what was the price on the invoice?
In gross terms for the car itself, I'm not sure if it would have been better, but with the trade-in, yes, certainly a better change-over price, and ultimately that's what's it's all about. It was likely going to be hard to get a decent price privately for my banged up 2014 Corolla, not to mention the hassle and cost to make it look good to try and sell it.
Invoice was $51016 with all the charges, but I will be paying under $35k change over once I claim the GST back. Less again including instant tax write-off benefit come FY year end.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

eevblog wrote: Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 18:47
jonescg wrote: Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 17:49 Well that sounds like a better deal than the one we tried to set up for AEVA members! I can tell you're still not a member, so what was the price on the invoice?
In gross terms for the car itself, I'm not sure if it would have been better, but with the trade-in, yes, certainly a better change-over price, and ultimately that's what's it's all about. It was likely going to be hard to get a decent price privately for my banged up 2014 Corolla, not to mention the hassle and cost to make it look good to try and sell it.
Invoice was $51016 with all the charges, but I will be paying under $35k change over once I claim the GST back. Less again including instant tax write-off benefit come FY year end.
That's not far off - I paid $50,050 for mine. Will have to ask Chris Tassell to sharpen his pencil for us :)
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 19:20That's not far off - I paid $50,050 for mine. Will have to ask Chris Tassell to sharpen his pencil for us :)
Thanks for that confirmation, that's about what I thought it was. So could have potentially got it $966 cheaper. But that was more than made up for with the trade-in and the costs associated with having to sell it myself. So I think I ultimately came out well ahead. The NSW fleet dealer hadn't gotten back to me yet on availability, and when we went for a test drive at the dealer today, and when they said they had one left in stock and offered a great no hassle deal on the trade-in, plus a hefty discount on the ticket price, we were sold.
Thanks to Chris though for helping to extend that offer to NSW members, which I believe is still available to members.
Oh, yeah, guess I should become a member now I actually own an EV :D
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

Shiny!
IMG_20200914_124559 (1).jpg
IMG_20200914_124559 (1).jpg (392.06 KiB) Viewed 114 times
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Like you I have chosen not to install a dedicated charger at home. I drove 36’000km in my first year and never panicked. The Kona has a bit more range but still. I couldn’t justify the equivalent of 4 years of electricity to buy and install it.
Cable-wise, I have a 5m curly type 2 - type 2 cable that I use frequently, and a type 1 to type 2 adaptor gathering dust in my boot. Unless you live near an old type 1 charger, I wouldn’t buy one.
AliEpress is where I got mine:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969123498.html
They also sell very simple adaptor plugs for about $80

If you prefer to buy local:
https://evse.com.au/product/hi-vis-coil ... cable-7kw/

And I think that PlugShare is the most commonly used charger mapping app. I couldn’t do my job without it.
And I have NFC cards from ChargeFox and ChargePoint for when reception is not good enough. We have a few chargers in semi-underground car parks in Melbourne.

Well done on your purchase. The Ionic is a great car.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 September 2020 (1 year of ownership)
36'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

EVdownUnder wrote: Mon, 14 Sep 2020, 22:05 Like you I have chosen not to install a dedicated charger at home. I drove 36’000km in my first year and never panicked. The Kona has a bit more range but still. I couldn’t justify the equivalent of 4 years of electricity to buy and install it.
Cable-wise, I have a 5m curly type 2 - type 2 cable that I use frequently, and a type 1 to type 2 adaptor gathering dust in my boot. Unless you live near an old type 1 charger, I wouldn’t buy one.
AliEpress is where I got mine:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969123498.html
They also sell very simple adaptor plugs for about $80

If you prefer to buy local:
https://evse.com.au/product/hi-vis-coil ... cable-7kw/

And I think that PlugShare is the most commonly used charger mapping app. I couldn’t do my job without it.
And I have NFC cards from ChargeFox and ChargePoint for when reception is not good enough. We have a few chargers in semi-underground car parks in Melbourne.
Thanks.
Yes, type 2 to type 2 definitely essential for the boot. I also suspect the type 1 will gather dust as most places I'm looking at have Type 2 or CCS. But the "just in case" in me says just get both. Only a couple of places around my area have J1172 Type 1.
Not sure if I could bring myself to trust the quality of an Aliexpress cable... might go local.

Tossing up between just using the existing power point near the car and trickle charging it, or going the whole hog for a 7kW Type 2 with fixed cable and be done with it.
In either case I want a fixed cable for the convenience of not having to get it out of the boot every day.
Will go with the power point for now and see how it goes, as it'll take time to install a Type 2 anyway if we go for that.
I might leave the genuine Hyundai one permanently on the wall so it's always ready to use. So will likely need another cheap one for spare in the boot just in case.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

First drive home from the dealer!

eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »