Electric Car (EV) Home Charger - 32A - Options?

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
eco_sam
Noobie

Re: Electric Car (EV) Home Charger - 32A - Options?

Post by eco_sam »

I got some professional advice on this one too so going for a 15A 3-PIN GPO single power point as it's going to cost me $40 to install and once there is more innovation and reduced pricing for a proper charger, I will get that one installed. It's not full use of the wiring that I got installed but it will be better than 10Amp.
- Professional advice is that a lot more chargers should be coming on market at around the $600 price mark and would be a lot smaller than the ones currently out there so will wait for those ones.

Thanks everyone who assisted me with this
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Sam - you might be waiting a while for reduced priced/smaller EVSEs! In the 8 years that I've been installing them, they haven't changed much in style, size or price. My own one from 6 years ago is exactly the same now as then, but it costs more. (Was around $800 then and $1100 now).
Re 15A socket-outlet - don't forget to have a Type A RCD fitted (if it isn't already) plus make sure it is a screwed industrial type socket and the EVSE you use has a screwed plug and you don't unplug/replug it often - or you will end up with a melted plug and/or outlet as per the photo at the start of this thread.

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Mooch
Noobie

Post by Mooch »

I recently bought an Ioniq and I'm very happy with it. I also bought the Delta home charger / EVSE to go along with it (purchased from Hyundai and it comes from JetCharge). After getting the EVSE installed on its own 32A circuit, I am only getting 4.5kW charge rate so I went back to the supplier and was told that in QLD we're limited to 20A for EV charging.
The charger is set at 4.5kW (20A) due to the restrictions in QLD by the power distributors, Energex & Ergon. The restriction is any EV charger at home cannot exceed 20A single phase (4.5kW).
So to say I'm disappointed to buy a 7.2kW (32A) charger which I'm only allowed to run at 60% capacity is an understatement.

I'm looking for any doco or legislation for this and cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Can anybody shed any light on it for me? More to the point, the unit is capable of 32A and modifying the config is very simple. It is wired on a 32A circuit so what is to stop me cranking it up?
2020 Ioniq Electric Premium
eco_sam
Noobie

Post by eco_sam »

Sorry to hear mate. I got EO mini charger with 32Amp RCD and based on EO's recommendation, I am running it on 30A rather than 32A as they recommended it to avoid tripping the RCD due to it heating up. Nissan Leaf shows it's charging @ 6kW so I got nothing to complain about

[ Edited Coulomb: Kwh -> kW ]
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Sounds weird. Will chase it up and get back to you.
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Mooch wrote: Fri, 04 Dec 2020, 21:04
So to say I'm disappointed to buy a 7.2kW (32A) charger which I'm only allowed to run at 60% capacity is an understatement.
We to got the Delta charger too and its the only disappointment of our purchase. I did not read carefully what we were getting and went by the website specs and of course the installed charger did not have network connectivity and so the output is not really configurable which I'd hoped to control inline with our solar output.

When it was installed it was limited by the guy to 5.8kW. He said our house couldn't deliver 32A and set the dip switches to 24A(??).

The charger is on a 19m run from the panel on its own circuit with a 32A breaker and we have to have a 7.5m cable to reach the car. Our usual electrician said the house can deliver 62A in total and it was fully rewired 2 years ago from the 50s clothe covered wires that made me cringe.

That being said I've found we haven't needed full output as over night it doesn't really matter and during the day I reduce in car to keep below (minimum in car 3.2kW) or just above (reduced in car 5.2kW + house consumption) the 5kW our solar generates (Im happy to go above a little as that gets back any solar output drops due to voltage rise and does charge that much quicker so the car is not out of action most of the day when it is on minumum)
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.53.07 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.53.07 am.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.54.31 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.54.31 am.png (25.11 KiB) Viewed 368 times
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Mooch wrote: Fri, 04 Dec 2020, 21:04 I recently bought an Ioniq and I'm very happy with it. I also bought the Delta home charger / EVSE to go along with it (purchased from Hyundai and it comes from JetCharge). After getting the EVSE installed on its own 32A circuit, I am only getting 4.5kW charge rate so I went back to the supplier and was told that in QLD we're limited to 20A for EV charging.
The charger is set at 4.5kW (20A) due to the restrictions in QLD by the power distributors, Energex & Ergon. The restriction is any EV charger at home cannot exceed 20A single phase (4.5kW).

I'm looking for any doco or legislation for this and cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Can anybody shed any light on it for me? More to the point, the unit is capable of 32A and modifying the config is very simple. It is wired on a 32A circuit so what is to stop me cranking it up?
Hi Mooch. This surprised me too. But I found it. It's in the Queensland Electricity Connection Manual.

First see Section 8.4.1 to learn that Section 4.2 applies — in particular Table 4.1. Section 4.2 is concerned not with the current per se, but with the change in current that occurs when the equipment is switched on and off.

But notice that you can have up to a 35 A change if the EVSE is connected to a controlled tariff such as T31 or T33.

https://www.ergon.com.au/network/smarte ... ic-vehicle

These documents are on the Ergon website, but the rules are the same in the Energex areas.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
Mooch
Noobie

Post by Mooch »

weber wrote: Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 21:18 Hi Mooch. This surprised me too. But I found it. It's in the Queensland Electricity Connection Manual.

First see Section 8.4.1 to learn that Section 4.2 applies — in particular Table 4.1. Section 4.2 is concerned not with the current per se, but with the change in current that occurs when the equipment is switched on and off.

But notice that you can have up to a 35 A change if the EVSE is connected to a controlled tariff such as T31 or T33.

https://www.ergon.com.au/network/smarte ... ic-vehicle

These documents are on the Ergon website, but the rules are the same in the Energex areas.
Thanks for that. I'll give it a look. I think the controlled tariffs mean that Ergon / Energex decide when you can actually use them right - most likely off-peak only? I plan on charging from the solar as much as practically possible so that wouldn't work for me.
2020 Ioniq Electric Premium