Horizon Power Charger info

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Horizon Power Charger info

Post by sleeperpservice »

Does anyone know if the charger at the Horizon Power offices is powered through the solar panels on the roof of the building and is considered renewably powered?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/165139

Ive pinged them a couple times but haven't had a response.

Ive been counting it against current percentage of the WA grid as estimated with the help of the nem renew economy widget

http://www.nem-watch.info/widgets/reneweconomy/
jonescg

Re: Horizon Power Charger info

Post by jonescg »

As long as you charge between 10 am and 2 pm, it will be at least 50% renewables this time of year.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Thats what that widget is helpful for and I have seen it cross 60% a couple of times recently.
I do take the data knowing it is estimated and extrapolated but it seems reasonable throughout the last 6 months. It doesn't appear to have been updated with the Merriden solar farm though
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

WEM datadashboard is fully upto date:
https://www.aemo.com.au/energy-systems/ ... on-fuelmix

if we weren't curtailing wind to keep fossil generators in the system, we would have hit 100% renewables a few times already
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
adam lippiatt
Noobie

Post by adam lippiatt »

I have been told that the system operator doesn't let scheduled generation drop below 700MW for some reason (does anyone know the reason?). We have been curtailing a lot of wind recently for sure.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah frequency excursions are bad, and there's only just enough synchronous generation to temper the variable RE. It kind of highlights the need to ramp up storage in a big way, and of course, build more wind generation in the south of the state.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I'm no expert at this, but it seems to me that a big part of the problem is that all the wind generators have had to (presumably by law / regulation) been frequency followers, not frequency setters. So as load and generator power changes and the frequency drifts, the wind generators have to follow the drift and disconnect when things get really bad (making things worse). If they could be made to be "stiffer" (resist frequency changes, like spinning generators do), it seems to me that there would be less need for non-fossil spinning reserve.

Wind generators with their crystal locked processors have a far better idea where true 50.000 Hz (or 60.000 Hz) is than dumb steam turbines.

Of course, if enough intermittent generation drops off, no amount of stiffness can cure that, so you need the storage able to take up the slack at a millisecond's notice. Far faster than a steam turbine can, whether powered by coal or gas. Fossil generators can then ramp up to take up the slack, but as a rarely needed last resort rather than mandating a minimum power level 24/7.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

coulomb wrote: Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 19:41 I'm no expert at this, but it seems to me that a big part of the problem is that all the wind generators have had to (presumably by law / regulation) been frequency followers, not frequency setters.
ARENA definitely thinks so.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

I'm no expert either and seeing the topic got diverted, this is just a stray fact from college days

30 years ago, Yallourn needed about 30 minutes notice of changing power requirements, up or down, mostly because you cannot just turn off the big cutting wheel. While conveyor belts taking coal to the furnace can be turned off, you cannot stop new coal being dumped onto it. I cannot imagine it is much different now because corporate inertia is even slower. There is no incentive to improve performance elsewhere when that one big factor cannot be changed. The Snowy River hydro system is/was used to soak up that latency because relatively speaking it is much faster at scaling its output. Battery storage is blisteringly fast by comparison.

Right or wrong, it remains that the slowest supplier drives the whole network, much as ocean liners have right of way over sailing boats even though there is a general port and starboard protocol. Lots of wind and solar can never change the status quo until there is lots of battery (and even hydrogen) storage to ensure it can at least guarantee service. As wind and solar scale up to base load capacities, battery storage isn't going to be enough. Hydrogen and similar processes, though much less efficient, will be a part of the energy storage equation. (I told you the topic got diverted :) )