We developed a charger. Please advise

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

We developed a charger. Please advise

Post by Ellina from CHRGET »

My name is Ellina. I represent a group of engineers who invented chRget — a universal EV charger with 32 plug adapters and the software that can change charging parameters in real time.

Could you please take a look at our prototype? What do you think could be added to it? What functions or properties should be in the ideal EV charger? Your answers would really help us make our prototype better.

Few days ago we launched a Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

We invite you to become our backer and will be very grateful for spreading a word about our charger on social media to help us reach our goal.

Our charger features 32 adapters to any power outlet in the world. They are plugged directly onto the main body.

chRget uses geolocation and automatically sets optimal charging parameters according to each country's voltage, frequency and other properties.

chRget automatically adjusts the power if the voltage is not stable. It also lowers the power in case the circuit is overheated, to prevent damages of wiring.

On top of that it has other great features in mobile app, ergonomic design, and allows for charging two or more EVs simultaneously and safely.

By the way, our startup was selected to provide technical support to the Electric Marathon 2020 Star Race, which starts at Expo Dubai and finishes in Monte Carlo.

Please share with us your thoughts: what can we do to further improve our product?

You can support us on Kickstarter page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

Best regards,
Ellina
Last edited by Ellina from CHRGET on Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Re: We developed a charger. Please advice

Post by jonescg »

I have approved this post because I think it's worth informing the community of new products in the charging world. Normally commercial posts are treated with caution as things get spammy pretty quickly, but I think this looks legit. The only plugs of interest to Australians are 19 and 32.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I concur, looks pretty cool.

For a plug that you would keep in the car for the odd opportunity charge, this is way better than keeping one of every conceivable adapter.

My only suggestion, would be to add a J1772 type 1 input, as Australia has both forms rolled out
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
adam lippiatt
Noobie

Post by adam lippiatt »

This product has been reviewed on a couple of prominent EV channels on YouTube. Looks good for sure.
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

It’s be nice if this wasn’t necessary. Ie, there is a standard plug that includes a signal cable and the vehicle and charger talk to each other and work out the best charge voltage, rate etc.
reecho

Post by reecho »

For the AU/NZ market plug 18 isn't required as they are very uncommon. Much more important for us is 10A and 15A versions of plug 32 type I and plug 19 (32A 3 phase 5 pin).
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

I don't want to be a party pooper but AUD713 + tax...
Get it with 2 adaptors and you're just shy of a grand :shock:
I bought a 32A single phase curly cable (type2/type2) on AliExpress for AUD212 delivered.
I can see that it would be practical and all, but I can't see how to justify the price. Sorry.
Maybe if you live in Switzerland and regularly visit other countries and if your car didn't come with a granny cable, maybe.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 September 2020 (1 year of ownership)
36'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

So I guess this means, with the right adaptors you could charge from singe phase 6 amps selectable to 22 kW 3 phase (assuming your car can charge on 3 phase).
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

reecho wrote: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 17:21 For the AU/NZ market plug 18 isn't required as they are very uncommon. Much more important for us is 10A and 15A versions of plug 32 type I and plug 19 (32A 3 phase 5 pin).
Thank you for the feedback! We are already considering to change this option to 10A, because some of our backers have highlighted the same issue in comments on the Kickstarter page.
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

antiscab wrote: Wed, 17 Jun 2020, 22:07 I concur, looks pretty cool.

For a plug that you would keep in the car for the odd opportunity charge, this is way better than keeping one of every conceivable adapter.

My only suggestion, would be to add a J1772 type 1 input, as Australia has both forms rolled out
Hi, Matt!

Thank you for your feedback!

Do you mean that Australia uses also J1772 Type 1, just like the US and Canada? In this case, we already have what you need: on the Kickstarter page those are "chRget 1" and "chRget 3" kits with a different number of add-ons https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

Or maybe you mean an adapter for public charging stations, which we have only in Type 2 version? Are there public charging stations with Type 1 sockets in AU? Please let us know.
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

brunohill wrote: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 21:40 So I guess this means, with the right adaptors you could charge from singe phase 6 amps selectable to 22 kW 3 phase (assuming your car can charge on 3 phase).
This is correct
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

EVdownUnder wrote: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 18:17 I don't want to be a party pooper but AUD713 + tax...
Get it with 2 adaptors and you're just shy of a grand :shock:
I bought a 32A single phase curly cable (type2/type2) on AliExpress for AUD212 delivered.
I can see that it would be practical and all, but I can't see how to justify the price. Sorry.
Maybe if you live in Switzerland and regularly visit other countries and if your car didn't come with a granny cable, maybe.
It's incorrect to compare the type2/type2 cable to our product because chRget includes in its price also an adapter.

Our EVSE with the Type2 automatically becomes a smart cable. Meanwhile, having just a type2/type2 cable you still need to purchase an EVSE.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Ellina from CHRGET wrote: Fri, 19 Jun 2020, 22:43
reecho wrote: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 17:21 For the AU/NZ market plug 18 isn't required as they are very uncommon. Much more important for us is 10A and 15A versions of plug 32 type I and plug 19 (32A 3 phase 5 pin).
Thank you for the feedback! We are already considering to change this option to 10A, because some of our backers have highlighted the same issue in comments on the Kickstarter page.
If possible @Ellina from CHRGET, offer either 10A or 15A version of plug 32. In Australia the 15A version has a wider Earth pin than the 10A version so you can't plug a 15A plug into a 10A socket. Wikipedia has a good page detailing the different types of Plug 32. Note that while it describes 5 different variants in practice only the first two (10A and 15A variants) are in common use.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Ellina from CHRGET wrote: Fri, 19 Jun 2020, 23:23
EVdownUnder wrote: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 18:17 I don't want to be a party pooper but AUD713 + tax...
It's incorrect to compare the type2/type2 cable to our product because chRget includes in its price also an adapter.

Our EVSE with the Type2 automatically becomes a smart cable. Meanwhile, having just a type2/type2 cable you still need to purchase an EVSE.
I understand that I am not comparing apple with apple, but my comment still stands. $212 for the type2/type2 and the Australian plug cable that came with the car is all I (and most people) need.
My problem is that I am angry at the system in general. Here is a car, you will need this cable to use it but it doesn't come with it. It's like selling a petrol car with a 10 litre tank. Usable but very impractical. ALL REQUIRED CABLES should come with the car. I should not have to buy $1000 cables to use my shockingly overpriced car.
In conclusion, your cable, as great as it is, at AUD500, I'm a customer, at AUD1000 I'm out.
126Wh/km from new
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

rhills wrote: Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 10:56
Ellina from CHRGET wrote: Fri, 19 Jun 2020, 22:43
If possible @Ellina from CHRGET, offer either 10A or 15A version of plug 32. In Australia the 15A version has a wider Earth pin than the 10A version so you can't plug a 15A plug into a 10A socket. Wikipedia has a good page detailing the different types of Plug 32. Note that while it describes 5 different variants in practice only the first two (10A and 15A variants) are in common use.

Cheers,
This is a very important information! Thank you!
reecho

Post by reecho »

EVdownUnder wrote: Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 17:38

I understand that I am not comparing apple with apple, but my comment still stands. $212 for the type2/type2 and the Australian plug cable that came with the car is all I (and most people) need.
My problem is that I am angry at the system in general. Here is a car, you will need this cable to use it but it doesn't come with it. It's like selling a petrol car with a 10 litre tank. Usable but very impractical. ALL REQUIRED CABLES should come with the car. I should not have to buy $1000 cables to use my shockingly overpriced car.
In conclusion, your cable, as great as it is, at AUD500, I'm a customer, at AUD1000 I'm out.
Thing is show me a EVSE with this level of functionality for under $500AUD.
Ellina from CHRGET
Noobie

EVdownUnder wrote: Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 17:38

We support the idea of car manufacturers providing a full kit with the EVSE/cable, but not all of them are ready to do so. For instance, Jaguar does supply its EVs with the type2/type2 cable. It'd be great if we were lucky to agree with car manufacturers to use our solutions in their kits ;)
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Ellina from CHRGET wrote: Fri, 19 Jun 2020, 22:52 Do you mean that Australia uses also J1772 Type 1, just like the US and Canada? In this case, we already have what you need: on the Kickstarter page those are "chRget 1" and "chRget 3" kits with a different number of add-ons https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

Or maybe you mean an adapter for public charging stations, which we have only in Type 2 version? Are there public charging stations with Type 1 sockets in AU? Please let us know.
The 1st gen EVs (leaf, imiev, i3, etc) came to australia with type 1 ports, so the first roll out of charge stations were type 1.

The 2nd gen EVs (zoe, i3, tesla, leaf, etc) came with type 2, so all new charge station installations are type 2.

There are still a significant number of type 1 charge stations in Australia, though no new ones are being installed.
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

antiscab wrote: Sun, 21 Jun 2020, 11:36 The 1st gen EVs (leaf, imiev, i3, etc) came to australia with type 1 ports, so the first roll out of charge stations were type 1.

There are still a significant number of type 1 charge stations in Australia, though no new ones are being installed.
But are there any Type 1 sockets installed? The only Type 1 charging stations I've seen have tethered cables.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Ellina from CHRGET wrote: Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 23:38 We support the idea of car manufacturers providing a full kit with the EVSE/cable, but not all of them are ready to do so. For instance, Jaguar does supply its EVs with the type2/type2 cable. It'd be great if we were lucky to agree with car manufacturers to use our solutions in their kits ;)
Excellent idea Ellina! Go for it.
126Wh/km from new
jonescg

Re: We developed a charger. Please advise

Post by jonescg »

Indeed, Renault don't supply so much as a 10 A EVSE of last resort. At least a simple GPO will provide 98% of an EV drivers needs.
I recently installed my OpenEVSE with a 32 A plug so I can take it with me on longer trips where 3-phase sockets are common. Humble 10 A EVSE in the background.
20200621_141615.jpg
20200621_141615.jpg (194.62 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

4Springs wrote: Sun, 21 Jun 2020, 15:10
antiscab wrote: Sun, 21 Jun 2020, 11:36 The 1st gen EVs (leaf, imiev, i3, etc) came to australia with type 1 ports, so the first roll out of charge stations were type 1.

But are there any Type 1 sockets installed? The only Type 1 charging stations I've seen have tethered cables.
yes they are all tethered cables
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
Chuq
Groupie

Re: We developed a charger. Please advise

Post by Chuq »

The talk about Type 1 & 2 charge stations confused me for a second. At first I thought the sole point of this device was to plug into normal power outlets (10 amp, 15 amp, 3-phase, and the equivalents in other countries) but after looking at some of the images on the kickstarter site, it sounds like in addition to the 32 adaptors shown in the picture in the first post, you can also get Type 1 & 2 adaptors?

Just thinking about the cables I have (for my 2012 Leaf):

At home:
1x Nissan EVSE (15 amp plug, limited to 10 amp charging) - this one stays at home generally

In the car:
1x Generic EVSE (15 amp plug, switchable 10/15amp charging)
1x Amphibian 10A to 15A converter (for plugging either of the above into a 10 amp socket)
1x Type 2 to J1772 cable
1x Tesla destination charger to J1772 adaptor

First was included with the car, last is a speciality item, but the other three if you bought them would be approx $500, $100, $250. Theoretically one of these with a 10 amp and a 15 amp adaptor would be capable of replacing these three items? Quite cost competitive and in a nicer form factor, and of course nice extras like the display, remote management etc.

Of course I already own these cables so I wouldn't see the need for a chRget - until I get a second EV which will likely have a Type 2 inlet.

What would be nice for some - and not sure if this is already possible - is to be able to use the ChRget 2 with a 3-phase socket (adaptor #19). So the input would be 22kW, but the output to the car would be 7kW. Would the chRget 2 support that? Mainly because there are some places (mostly showgrounds in Australia) where there are numerous 3-phase outlets and 15 amp outlets, and a lot of cars out there are limited to 7 kW. They'd really benefit from using the full 7 kW compared to the 3.6 kW from a 15 amp outlet, but the 22kW from a chRget 4 would be a waste because they'd never use it. Does that make sense?