WA chalks up another first. Brookton Road House installs the first pay as you go charging station in an Australian servo

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
E-STATION
Groupie

WA chalks up another first. Brookton Road House installs the first pay as you go charging station in an Australian servo

Post by E-STATION »

Brookton Road House is the first Australian service station to install a pay as your go charging station. The Liberty Fuel Station is located at Brookton, around 134 km from Perth on the main route to Ravensthorpe and Esperance. The proprietor, Nola Craig recently installed a brand new 30 kW solar PV system on the roof of the Road House and thought that selling excess power to electric car drivers would be a great idea. The charging station is a 22 kW Type 2 AC unit manufactured by Circontrol and supplied by E-Station. It is mounted in a vandal proof bollard designed and made in Australia. The charging station is connected to the Charge Star payment system and will operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unmanned. The tariff is 45 cents per kWh. Charging sessions are activated using the NEXTCHARGE smart phone application and/or the NEXTCHARGE RFID card.

Nola believes that service stations on trunk routes will eventually replace petrol and diesel bowsers with DC fast charging stations as the public transitions to electric cars. She thinks that installing AC charging stations is a good way to gauge the market.

Joseph Law becomes the first person in Australia to charge at a pay as you go servo. His Tesla Model S drew 42 kW in one hour and 54 minutes.

IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG (110.94 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
DSC_1794.jpg
DSC_1794.jpg (823.99 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
DSC_1791.jpg
DSC_1791.jpg (746.47 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
jonescg

Re: WA chalks up another first. Brookton Road House installs the first pay as you go charging station in an Australian s

Post by jonescg »

So it accepts credit cards or is it just part of the Chargestar network?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
jonescg

Re: WA chalks up another first. Brookton Road House installs the first pay as you go charging station in an Australian s

Post by jonescg »

Is it a double-header or is there only one charge point installed there?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
E-STATION
Groupie

Post by E-STATION »

No CC reader on station. Connected to Charge Star. Activate using NEXTCHARGE app and/or NEXTCHARGE RFID card.

Double headed bollard wired for 2 * 22 kW stations. Single station present. A second station may be added later.
jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker »

That particular service station was already into EV charging a few hears ago. I charged my LEAF there (with an extension lead) in August 2016 on my way from Collie to Beverley Agriculture Show.
Attachments
tn2_Beverley August 16.jpg
tn2_Beverley August 16.jpg (234.28 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
It is hard to make predictions, especially about the future. Yogi Berra
reecho

Post by reecho »

Interesting how this site rejected an offer of an AEVA 32A 3 phase socket in favour of a much more expensive bollard.

Anyhoo...
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Well, I for one will do my darndest to support them any way I can. As our WA country travels these days are in our motorhome, I'll make sure I fill it up with diesel there whenever I'm within cooee of them and explain to them why I have chosen to do so.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km