Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Post by Chuq » Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 14:23

(This is one of a number of topics related to home charging. Since the questions are separate, I'll post each in a seperate thread - other threads Load sharing, Solar diversion)

I notice that people fit into two categories for home charging - those who just use "a plug" (15 amp, usually) or those who install a dedicated unit of some sort (Wallpod, Juice Box, Tesla HWPC, or something else).

These dedicated units are relatively bulky. I understand in some situations, you may want to have a swipe card, or a cord, or a breaker/switch right next to it, but is there any reason that we can't just get "a plug" installed that is suited to EVs (eg. a type 2 socket?)

The reason I ask - take a look at my garage below. I'd like to install something outside but the 15cm wide surface as shown is the most practical location for it. Obviously too big for a Wallpod (the smallest wall unit that I'm aware of).

Note that the type 2 socket is poorly edited in. Should be obvious by the quality but thought I'd clarify :P

All I need is a 10cm diameter plug! Is there any reason a 37 x 18 cm unit is necessarily? If a fuse/switch is legally required I'm happy to have it on the wall inside the garage. Is this something a licensed electrician familiar with EV charging could do?

(click to enlarge)

Expected questions relevant to my particular example:

Q. Couldn't you install a Wallpod (etc) on the grey block wall?
A. Yes, but the garage door is a full panel tilt-a-door. It couldn't go right next to the garage, it would need to go about 1.5 to 2m out - if the garage door opened while a cable was plugged in it would destroy both the cable and the wallbox. As well as needing conduit and looking terrible, that's where the kids play basketball/netball. Just looking to be damaged!

Q. Why not install inside the garage?
A. I'm planning that as well, but this is future proofing for guests, etc.

Q. Why type 2? Don't you drive a Leaf?
A. Future proofing!

Q. What's that 8cm measurement about?
A. That's the amount of available space *behind* that location - allowing for the springs from the garage door, when the door is shut.

Bryce
Groupie

Re: Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Post by Bryce » Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 17:20

Hi there-standard (and car) requires the lead to be 'dead' if car is not charging. Electronics in evse are needed for car to accept electricity from evse. Just a type 2 socket will not work for a mass market ev. (See Modular Power AVC2 for pilot and control explanation evse electronics also available- can't remembet site for that now & on a tram so can't access link!) Standards also require dedicated circuit and RCD. 15A outlet and portable evse good. Dedicated circuit with fixed evse having pilot and control signalling incorporating isolator (eg inbuilt RCD) also good. Socket alone against several legislative reqirements and also just will not work! Cheers Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: 2011 Leaf, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq » Thu, 22 Mar 2018, 19:07

Bryce wrote:
Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 17:20
Hi there-standard (and car) requires the lead to be 'dead' if car is not charging. Electronics in evse are needed for car to accept electricity from evse. Just a type 2 socket will not work for a mass market ev. (See Modular Power AVC2 for pilot and control explanation evse electronics also available- can't remembet site for that now & on a tram so can't access link!) Standards also require dedicated circuit and RCD. 15A outlet and portable evse good. Dedicated circuit with fixed evse having pilot and control signalling incorporating isolator (eg inbuilt RCD) also good. Socket alone against several legislative reqirements and also just will not work! Cheers Bryce
Thanks Bryce! I knew there must've been a reason, I just wasn't sure what it was!

In theory, would it be acceptable having the outlet as shown in my picture above, and the RCD/breaker/etc on the wall just inside the garage (above the wheelie bins?)

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 05:16

Hi Charles - so long as you are an electrician to be able to safely (and legally) build and hard-wire a home built EVSE, or get an electrician to put a separate circuit and socket outlet (i.e. with circuit breaker at the board) so you can plug in the EVSE you build, or have a electrician mate who is interested in building an EVSE for you to suit your needs - that should be OK.

Probably building it into an enclosure and recess that enclosure into the plaster wall would be best from the look of your situation.

Re load of an EVSE - have just published an article in ReNew magazine on the basic needs of an EVSE and consequent household wiring issues. (i.e. its effects on triggering rather expensive house wiring upgrades if you want the maximum power EVSE possible!!). Should be in newsagents this week (or in your letterbox in next few days if you subscribe).

BTW: the links for EVSE parts, electronics and explanations are either of:
https://store.openevse.com/
https://www.ev-power.eu/Electric-Cars/E ... -only.html

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: 2011 Leaf, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter