Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Post by Chuq »

(This is one of a number of topics related to home charging. Since the questions are separate, I'll post each in a seperate thread - other threads Load sharing, Solar diversion)

I notice that people fit into two categories for home charging - those who just use "a plug" (15 amp, usually) or those who install a dedicated unit of some sort (Wallpod, Juice Box, Tesla HWPC, or something else).

These dedicated units are relatively bulky. I understand in some situations, you may want to have a swipe card, or a cord, or a breaker/switch right next to it, but is there any reason that we can't just get "a plug" installed that is suited to EVs (eg. a type 2 socket?)

The reason I ask - take a look at my garage below. I'd like to install something outside but the 15cm wide surface as shown is the most practical location for it. Obviously too big for a Wallpod (the smallest wall unit that I'm aware of).

Note that the type 2 socket is poorly edited in. Should be obvious by the quality but thought I'd clarify :P

All I need is a 10cm diameter plug! Is there any reason a 37 x 18 cm unit is necessarily? If a fuse/switch is legally required I'm happy to have it on the wall inside the garage. Is this something a licensed electrician familiar with EV charging could do?

(click to enlarge)

Expected questions relevant to my particular example:

Q. Couldn't you install a Wallpod (etc) on the grey block wall?
A. Yes, but the garage door is a full panel tilt-a-door. It couldn't go right next to the garage, it would need to go about 1.5 to 2m out - if the garage door opened while a cable was plugged in it would destroy both the cable and the wallbox. As well as needing conduit and looking terrible, that's where the kids play basketball/netball. Just looking to be damaged!

Q. Why not install inside the garage?
A. I'm planning that as well, but this is future proofing for guests, etc.

Q. Why type 2? Don't you drive a Leaf?
A. Future proofing!

Q. What's that 8cm measurement about?
A. That's the amount of available space *behind* that location - allowing for the springs from the garage door, when the door is shut.
Bryce

Re: Simple type 2 outlet for home charging

Post by Bryce »

Hi there-standard (and car) requires the lead to be 'dead' if car is not charging. Electronics in evse are needed for car to accept electricity from evse. Just a type 2 socket will not work for a mass market ev. (See Modular Power AVC2 for pilot and control explanation evse electronics also available- can't remembet site for that now & on a tram so can't access link!) Standards also require dedicated circuit and RCD. 15A outlet and portable evse good. Dedicated circuit with fixed evse having pilot and control signalling incorporating isolator (eg inbuilt RCD) also good. Socket alone against several legislative reqirements and also just will not work! Cheers Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Bryce wrote: Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 17:20 Hi there-standard (and car) requires the lead to be 'dead' if car is not charging. Electronics in evse are needed for car to accept electricity from evse. Just a type 2 socket will not work for a mass market ev. (See Modular Power AVC2 for pilot and control explanation evse electronics also available- can't remembet site for that now & on a tram so can't access link!) Standards also require dedicated circuit and RCD. 15A outlet and portable evse good. Dedicated circuit with fixed evse having pilot and control signalling incorporating isolator (eg inbuilt RCD) also good. Socket alone against several legislative reqirements and also just will not work! Cheers Bryce
Thanks Bryce! I knew there must've been a reason, I just wasn't sure what it was!

In theory, would it be acceptable having the outlet as shown in my picture above, and the RCD/breaker/etc on the wall just inside the garage (above the wheelie bins?)
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Charles - so long as you are an electrician to be able to safely (and legally) build and hard-wire a home built EVSE, or get an electrician to put a separate circuit and socket outlet (i.e. with circuit breaker at the board) so you can plug in the EVSE you build, or have a electrician mate who is interested in building an EVSE for you to suit your needs - that should be OK.

Probably building it into an enclosure and recess that enclosure into the plaster wall would be best from the look of your situation.

Re load of an EVSE - have just published an article in ReNew magazine on the basic needs of an EVSE and consequent household wiring issues. (i.e. its effects on triggering rather expensive house wiring upgrades if you want the maximum power EVSE possible!!). Should be in newsagents this week (or in your letterbox in next few days if you subscribe).

BTW: the links for EVSE parts, electronics and explanations are either of:
https://store.openevse.com/
https://www.ev-power.eu/Electric-Cars/E ... -only.html

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
priit
Groupie
MSN: vedru@hotmail.com

Post by priit »

I have been looking into the charging at home garage options as I am planning to purchase an EV before the end of this year and am not sure if I would need to go with a dedicated charger instead of a simple type 2 outlet.
I have 2 different rates for my electricity In Queensland (Energex rates NTC7000 for primary and NTC7300 for Smart Controlled Load). NTC7300 is about 6c/kw cheaper than primary so, I would prefer to charge off that tariff. Now The Smart Controlled load is only available for select list of devices:

Page 79-80 Energex’s 2018-19 Annual Pricing Proposal
Only the following appliances or machines can be connected to NTC7300 – Smart Control:
(i) Electric storage water heaters with thermostatically controlled or continuously operating heating units.
(ii) Boost elements of solar-heated water heaters.
(iii) Air conditioners compliant with AS/NZS4755 and fitted with a DRED.
(iv) Pool filtration systems.
(v) Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EV Chargers).
(vi) Battery Energy Storage Systems compliant with AS/NZS4755 and fitted with a DRED with export limited to a 5kW inverter (export in excess of this limit will require an assessment by Energex).
(vii) Other appliances compliant with AS/NZS4755 and fitted with a DRED.
(viii) Heat pump water heaters.
(ix) Other domestic appliances (e.g. air conditioners, washing machines and dishwashers) except where the appliance is duplicated in order that supply may be obtained on a different tariff for the same purpose during the restricted period.

As point 5 there suggest EV Chargers are allowed, but would a standard outlet in garage qualify or do they require the outlet to be somehow restricted to the EV charger only that no other device could use it?
There is a mention of dedicated outlet on page 78:
(iv) Electricity supply must be permanently connected to the items on the Approved List, except for electric vehicle supply chargers / EV chargers or pool filtration systems which can be supplied through a dedicated socket-outlet
But it does not clarify what makes that outlet dedicated? Does it require some form of signage or will it need to be locked to specific device so nothing else can be plugged into it?
Does anyone have experience with this or can clarify what options I would have there, as I only have 1-phase power in my house and I believe my main fuse for the house is 80A, so getting a dedicated line to the garage would be something I would like to arrange.
EVCS,AUS
Noobie

Post by EVCS,AUS »

Hi priit, you can have a dedicated circuit to a standard power outlet in your garage for the sole purpose of charging a electric vehicle and nothing else. You have the option of connecting your ev charger to tariff 11, 31 or 33 in QLD and there are no other special requirements e.g. signage or locks as you need to isolate the charger in the case of any dangerous situations or faults. An electrician or my business can help you with this. evchargingsolutions.com.au