NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
jonescg

NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Post by jonescg »

https://www.mynrma.com.au/community/new ... ng-network

Most likely they will put them were the EVs are, not on the way to somewhere else, but still. Great to see another motoring body following the lead!
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Paul9
Groupie

Re: NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Post by Paul9 »

I read that report yesterday with the hope of finding out where they intended the charging stations to be located. No luck there. Am I correct in assuming that they haven't published the whereabouts of each station yet? If they haven't, are they "collecting" opinions or have they decided locations but not yet published them?

Funnily enough, upon reading their report, I had exactly the same reaction as jonescg - don't put them where the EV drivers are - put them where the EV drivers are going (or on the way to where they are going).

Another question - are DC fast chargers compatible with J1772 or do they have a different connector? When we finished my conversion there was no J1772 and we used a normal 3 pin plug. Since then I have a 3 pin to J1772 adaptor which works fine.

I am hopeful that they will put at least one charger between North Sydney and the Central Coast of NSW (Gosford region). I have friends and relatives who live on the Central Coast, Newcastle and Port Stephens. I live in southern Sydney which means my Suzuki can get to Northern Sydney OK but, after charging, would have another 100kms to get to Gosford. The longest I have travelled in the Suzuki is 81kms and, though I think it could get a few more kms, I don't think it will get 100kms.

Thanks
Paul
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Paul9 wrote: Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 06:36 Another question - are DC fast chargers compatible with J1772 or do they have a different connector? When we finished my conversion there was no J1772 and we used a normal 3 pin plug.
In Queensland, all the DC fast chargers are accompanied by AC chargers as well; these will be J1772 compatible. [ Edit: as Joseph posts below, they're actually Mennekes (Type 2), for which you need your own cable. ] I believe it's the same in Western Australia. So hopefully they will do the same in NSW.

The DC fast chargers are a different connector and a completely different protocol as well, where the car continuously tells the charger the charge rate it wants. With AC charging, it's really just supplying AC to your own on-board charger.

[ Edit: corrected statement re J1772 compatibility. ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

About time! I've just found out (by mistake, when zooming out in plugshare) the number of chargers in New Zealand brings an absolute shame to Australia. Oz is so far behind compared to NZ. I can even find EV for rent in NZ much easier by simply googling it. That'll definitely my bucket list for the family holiday, going around NZ in an EV (still can't afford the Tesla though) :D.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Ac Chargers should be Schneider 22kw 3 phase type 2. Bring your own type 2 to 1 (single phase) or type 2 to 2 (3 phase) Cables
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

Anybody have any further info on the install timeline? I know that Jindabyne has gone in, Newcastle is rumoured but no-one has reported seeing it yet, and Cooma is in the pipeline (this year? in Massie St, behind the visitors centre. Bega is apparently on the list. Can't find out definitive info re sites or timelines.
pete gorton
BMW i3 BEV - no stinkin REx for me! 135 km of pure bliss
Millingandi, 2549
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

ev.2549 wrote: Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 11:13 Anybody have any further info on the install timeline? I know that Jindabyne has gone in, Newcastle is rumoured but no-one has reported seeing it yet, and Cooma is in the pipeline (this year? in Massie St, behind the visitors centre. Bega is apparently on the list. Can't find out definitive info re sites or timelines.
There have been pictures of the Newcastle one posted online in the last week. 2x Tritium DC, no AC chargers. Can't remember the exact location or where I saw the pictures, sorry :(
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

This one?
NRMA EV Fast Charger Wallsend (Coming Soon)
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/154457
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

NRMA Wallsend (Newcastle) is now operational. Jindabyne apparently ready to be. Cooma (Massie St) delayed until later 2018 due to cabling challenges.
Snowy Monaro Council is in discussions with NRMA about adding recharging infrastructure to Bombala, Nimmitabel and Adaminaby.
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Now you just need to convince BMW to swap your DCFC inlet over at a decent price Pete!
ev.2549
Noobie

Post by ev.2549 »

jonescg wrote: Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 13:17 Now you just need to convince BMW to swap your DCFC inlet over at a decent price Pete!
Yes, well, we all know how far that will get! More interested in a battery upgrade, now that I have a CCS2>1 adapter!
pete gorton
Millingandi, 2549
doggy

Post by doggy »

I have a Zoe and hope someone who has visited the Sydney NRMA or Newcastle NRMA charger can answer me. I could drive to one but it is more than 100km round trip for me.

The Zoe is Type2 AC and has a standard Type 2 cable with Mennekes connectors on each end.

Can I plug it into the NRMA Veefil chargers?

If so, does it have its own socket on the Veefil or does it plug into the top part of the CCS2 socket?

What is the max charge rate? I am expecting/hoping these chargers can manage 3 phase 32A 22kW charging (Zoe is 1 or 3 phase up to 22kW).

Many thanks,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 AVASS battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.7kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 280L
AEVA and TOCA member
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Unfortunately no, you cannot use the Veefil chargers with your Zoe. There may be a nearby 5-pin, three-phase, 32 amp socket you can use. The Qld Electric Superhighway made sure there was a 22 kW Mennekes AC charge point at each location, but it seems the NRMA aren't going down that route. The AEVA has offered sockets to make this a bit smoother, but the offer was declined. A great opportunity for a nearby business to put one in I think.

Almost like the rail gauges of Aulbury-Wodonga and Wallangarra-Jennings eh? :P
doggy

Post by doggy »

Thank you for the very prompt response.
Oh dear,
That sounds rather poor. Perhaps time to relinquish my NRMA membership after 47yrs.
Canberra has abundant chargers with Type 2.
The problem seems to be Sydney to Canberra where there are only low powered chargers (unless driving a Tesla).
Looks as if NSW will continue to be last in the charging area.
I also fed back to NRMA (as others have done about NOT putting chargers where the members are, rather putting them along the way to where members wish to travel.

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

It's a difficult situation. DC fast charging networks serves a particular purpose. Renault chose not to enable DC fast charging on the Zoe, when every other mainstream manufacturer does so in one form or another. Should every fast charging site have to set up a third charge connection just because Renault chose to do this?

Is it fair that a space is taken by a car charging for a couple of hours at 22kW, preventing a car that can charge at 50 or 150kW (when such vehicles are on the roads) from getting their 20-40 minute charge that they need to continue? Getting a good location takes a lot of negotiating and juggling many balls at once. The spaces for many of these chargers are being given up by local councils, and while some may be OK with 1-2, asking for 3-4 might make it a no-go.

My view - a 22kW Type 2 charger can be installed anywhere that has a 3-phase 32A supply - such as a standard 3-phase socket. There could be numerous Type 2 chargers set up in multiple places in towns which host a DC charger. It doesn't necessarily need to be at the same site.

I drive a Leaf and I understand that, at some point, fast chargers will stop supporting Chademo and go purely for CCS2. It's a good thing overall. The fewer plug types, the better.

Speculation is that the 2019 Zoe will have CCS2 - it won't be long until this whole thing is long forgotten.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I wonder how hard it would be to make a ccs2 to chademo adapter
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
doggy

Post by doggy »

Hi Charles,

I do congratulate the NRMA on their initiative- it is great- but I think it could be better.

Likewise, I congratulate Nissan in bringing the Leaf to Australia when it did and thereby promoting EVs a lot more at an early stage. I congratulate Renault in finally bringing the Zoe (which I am really enjoying) to Australia. I think it is a really tough scene and manufacturers have to be very bold bringing any EV to Australia where we have no incentives and if anything, just discouragements. A charging network is a big part of this. We should have (at least for now) a network that handles the international AC and DC charging standards). Similarly with the Japanese standard, I see no issue supporting Chademo, even if it is not an International standard, if there is a high volume of vehicles. After all, typically anything that is high volume becomes a defacto standard.

The Zoe has been around in Europe since 2012. It is the biggest selling EV in Europe. The Leaf is biggest selling in the world, though the Zoe has been sold in a much more restricted marketplace. I travel frequently in Europe and there is an abundance of AC charging. One French village (population 300) where I visited a few weeks ago had THREE charging spots! That is pretty typical in places such as France, UK, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Germany and others. AC charging locations are much cheaper to provide than DC. The UK motorways also have good and growing charging facilities. There is a big UK Zoe population criss crossing the country using 22kW AC charging. Yep, plenty of Leafs and other vehicles as well.

So, Renault in bringing the Zoe to Australia in 2018 is not going to add DC charging for Australia before it is added in Europe. I suspect Europe might happen in 2020, but maybe I am wrong and perhaps it will come there (to Renault Z.E.s) in 2019. The current Zoes being sold here are 2017 models. On the plus side, I drove mine away one week after ordering. A bit different from the UK where the waiting list is 6 months. So, maybe Renault can be criticised for no DC charging but it does not seem to be inhibiting their sales & they cannot keep up with the demand. The CCS2 standard connector on the EV provides for both AC and DC charging. I too believe that nearly everyone will end up with that. You plug in your CCS2 plug for DC and you plugin your Type2 just in the top section. Great design and implementation and yes it does embrace AC and DC.

So, having Type2 AC charging is NOT a dying investment. You will be able to connect it to the CCS2 connector on your car or to a Zoe or Kangoo or a number of other EVs (Teslas) with Type2 Mennekes sockets.

I do agree DC charging is the way of the future. However, it would not cost much to add AC Type 2 capability in proximity with high speed DC chargers on the regional routes in NSW. Sure, do not do it in cities where space is at a premium and perhaps put on time limits (in association, for example, with the NRMA member card). Also, I agree a 22kW charge should not be in the same parking spot as for 150kW charging (when that comes).

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Well it's been a long time since this thread got an update, but NRMA are making progress. This is how their map looks now (blue = open, yellow = planned)

NRMA's map: https://www.mynrma.com.au/community/ini ... ng-network

Note there are only 18 locations marked here ... 22 more to be revealed!

Good to see they are not only focusing on the main routes, but extending coverage into regional areas!
MrD
Groupie

Post by MrD »

Dubbo NRMA Fast Charger went 'live' yesterday....it is about 50m North of the Tesla Superchargers in the Dubbo Cultural Centre carpark. See plugshare for details and photos.
MrD-85-TSLA
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

The map is getting pretty full!

Also I've seen some references suggesting that they are planning 47 sites now... but looking back I can't seem to find where I read it.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

NRMA is now moving along quickly, which is great to see. A few gaps to fill near Sydney like Lithgow and Wyong and the remaining chargers can be spread around Regional NSW. SHould really compliment the Tesla and Chargefox network. What a difference there will be in DC fast chargers across NSW by the end of 2019!
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng »

Katoomba sounds like a better pick than Lithgow (preferably both!) since you need so much power making it up the mountains.

I'm just waiting patiently for something to appear at Goulburn so Canberra won't be a stretch. ACT has their own ActewAGL fast charging network which is reasonably priced.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Placing a fast charger at the top of a mountain range (i.e. Katoomba) isn't ideal. You need one either side of the range to make sure you can charge up enough to get to the top! Once on top, you don't need much battery to get back down the mountain range again. There are already a few AC chargers at Katoomba which is all you'd need to get down to Lithgow or Penrith if you were at low SOC.

Lithgow is also better as it's easily accessed whether you are on the Great Western Highway or Bells Line of Road.

I've done that trip a few times in EVs including Zero motorcycles and for short range EVs or when towing with your EV you need fast charging at Penrith, Richmond/Windsor and Lithgow to eliminate any range issues that 1200m of elevation gain brings!
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng »

Fair call about going to Katoomba and back down the mountains without needing a fast charge. I was thinking about being stuck in Katoomba for two hours if I wanted to head further west. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Last night I did a bit of targetted Googling to try to find more information about upcoming NRMA sites. To my surprise I found another 7 councils which had been approached by NRMA that has mentioned it in their Jan/Feb council meetings!

Also note on the map, plenty of growth since this thread was last active in June 2019! Blue is active, yellow is under construction. Red markings added by me to show the sites just identified.

Note - some of these locations may not eventuate but the documents below show NRMA has serious intention and in some cases, specific site identified.

https://www.walgett.nsw.gov.au/wp-conte ... c-Copy.pdf
https://inverell.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/ ... er2019.pdf
http://www.walcha.nsw.gov.au/f.ashx/Feb ... -Paper.pdf
https://bourke.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/up ... 200120.pdf
https://www.murrumbidgee.nsw.gov.au/pag ... P-77-51-33
https://www.tenterfield.nsw.gov.au/cont ... 6-2020.pdf
http://www.brewarrina.nsw.gov.au/f.ashx ... r-OPEN.pdf