NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
jonescg

NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Post by jonescg » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 12:40

https://www.mynrma.com.au/community/new ... ng-network

Most likely they will put them were the EVs are, not on the way to somewhere else, but still. Great to see another motoring body following the lead!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Paul9
Groupie

Re: NRMA funding 40 DCFCs around NSW

Post by Paul9 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 06:36

I read that report yesterday with the hope of finding out where they intended the charging stations to be located. No luck there. Am I correct in assuming that they haven't published the whereabouts of each station yet? If they haven't, are they "collecting" opinions or have they decided locations but not yet published them?

Funnily enough, upon reading their report, I had exactly the same reaction as jonescg - don't put them where the EV drivers are - put them where the EV drivers are going (or on the way to where they are going).

Another question - are DC fast chargers compatible with J1772 or do they have a different connector? When we finished my conversion there was no J1772 and we used a normal 3 pin plug. Since then I have a 3 pin to J1772 adaptor which works fine.

I am hopeful that they will put at least one charger between North Sydney and the Central Coast of NSW (Gosford region). I have friends and relatives who live on the Central Coast, Newcastle and Port Stephens. I live in southern Sydney which means my Suzuki can get to Northern Sydney OK but, after charging, would have another 100kms to get to Gosford. The longest I have travelled in the Suzuki is 81kms and, though I think it could get a few more kms, I don't think it will get 100kms.

Thanks
Paul

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 07:22

Paul9 wrote:
Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 06:36
Another question - are DC fast chargers compatible with J1772 or do they have a different connector? When we finished my conversion there was no J1772 and we used a normal 3 pin plug.
In Queensland, all the DC fast chargers are accompanied by AC chargers as well; these will be J1772 compatible. [ Edit: as Joseph posts below, they're actually Mennekes (Type 2), for which you need your own cable. ] I believe it's the same in Western Australia. So hopefully they will do the same in NSW.

The DC fast chargers are a different connector and a completely different protocol as well, where the car continuously tells the charger the charge rate it wants. With AC charging, it's really just supplying AC to your own on-board charger.

[ Edit: corrected statement re J1772 compatibility. ]
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 09:12

About time! I've just found out (by mistake, when zooming out in plugshare) the number of chargers in New Zealand brings an absolute shame to Australia. Oz is so far behind compared to NZ. I can even find EV for rent in NZ much easier by simply googling it. That'll definitely my bucket list for the family holiday, going around NZ in an EV (still can't afford the Tesla though) :D.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 19:24

Ac Chargers should be Schneider 22kw 3 phase type 2. Bring your own type 2 to 1 (single phase) or type 2 to 2 (3 phase) Cables
2011 i-MiEV - 123 kms dec 2017