Re-Plugging VX1 Charger OK?

Vectrix EV Interest Group
evcruiser
Noobie

Re-Plugging VX1 Charger OK?

Post by evcruiser »

So I've seen that to reconnect the batteries on the VX1 you have to do it via a resistance to charge up all the caps and avoid destructive current spikes. My question is, can you simply plug the standard [big] VX1 charger in and out without fear of any damage? I want to remove it from the bike but still use it to charge at home.

Another question is, will i end up with loads of fault display due to the missing charger whilst riding?

Back-story. I'm toying with the idea of stripping off the VX1 plastics which would include the charger. Then paint, install after-market lights, tidy the wiring and consider what else is required to run around "slim".
I find this bike unnecessarily fat and long though I don't mind the tube frame rear end if you can see through it. I've "lane split" since 1980, usually with an inch off each end of the handlebars on every bike. With bikes sporting increasing amounts of plastic decoration, i would like to maintain my record of never having damaged any of it in a crash. The idea of exposing the 'ride' to NOT try to look like a petrol bike sits well with me. Let the bike be what it is. I reckon the battery box looks pretty sexy. Clean minimalist customisation tweaks i figure would then be an on-going project. When it comes round to selling there is the option to refit as standard or supply all fresh standard parts with the sale. (i'm open to comment on the above also :-)

I'm OK with creating a 'pre-charge' connector on the charger but would like to minimise the connection operation.
antiscab

Re: Re-Plugging VX1 Charger OK?

Post by antiscab »

The charger doesn't need precharging, and the rest of the bike works fine without the original charger. The only thing is the original fuel gauge doesn't work without the original charger in place.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
evcruiser
Noobie

Post by evcruiser »

Thanks so much for your info.

Well i did like that fuel gauge and i was thinking how to maintain the original metering and headlight on the revised frame as it wasn't too wide for a revised body width, but i guess we will both have to do without the fuel gauge then eh. A keen eye on the voltage will do along with some mindfulness.

Surely you don't have a circuit diagram for her. Where are all those capacitors that need charging then ... in the controller eh?

Hey does that mean i can still see the amount of charge loaded in the morning before i disconnect? :-)
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

http://www.vectrixparts.com/ has circuit diagrams from memory

The caps that need pre-charging are on the input to the motor controller.

The caps in the charger are also on the in the input (where the output is the end connected to the battery, so no pre-charge needed)

The charger uses the current reported by the motor controller to count down an Ah counter, which is then reported to the CAN-bus for the display to show a fuel gauge reading
The charger counts up the Ah count while charging using the current it measures internally

If you ride without the charger onboard, the Ah count won't count down. If using the original firmware, the charger may not charge on re-connection as it will think the battery is still full.

When you ride without the charger present, the display uses the voltage reported by the motor controller to drive the fuel gauge, so it will bounce up and down with voltage.

You can get around this by installing a cycle analyst to act as a fuel gauge, and changing the firmware in the charger so that it doesn't try to guess how much charge to put into the battery (terminates on voltage only)
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
evcruiser
Noobie

Post by evcruiser »

You have great knowledge, ill be able to plug the charger with confidence, thank you. Good to know the set of 3 meters can be usefully maintained also.

I believe i'm running 'Laird' firmware and the original standard batteries, which i get 35km out of. Sometimes when i don't charge her for a month she runs flat just sitting around but the bar meter resets to zero each time i charge and it all indicates and runs fine. This gives me some confidence that the charger will run even if there has been no Ah count-down. Also ill cross my fingers for an Ah count up whilst charging. I guess we will see.

A bouncy volt bar gauge will still give some idea of SOC as i've never trusted the Ah bar-graph anyway. I've always looked at the voltage display on the first gauge pod for remaining voltage to work out where the battery is at whilst running around.

I have to sell a car to make space to work on 'Vexi' so now there is a plan to work towards. I'm not much good at this bloggy thing but ill update when i have answers to the unknowns above. Thanks again.

I'm still open to comment on the strip-down plan. No-one seems to do it or call it a sacrilege either. Maybe that discussion needs to be in some other subject area, i do not know.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

the reset to 0 happens when the battery voltage falls below some value (depending on which Laird firmware version you are running)
if you have the usb-can adapater available, you could load firmware into the charger that just makes it charge on voltage alone, meaning the fuel gauge doesn't matter any more

the modification on my own vectrix only extended to putting foot pegs on (so I could ride it more upright like a motorbike) as the slouched position was starting to do bad things to my shoulder.
That, and put in a bigger battery, more reliable charger and modified the MC of course :p

I know one bloke who turned their vectrix into a bit of a cruiser:
https://electricmotorcycles.news/samuel ... -platform/
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
evcruiser
Noobie

Post by evcruiser »

I have a car CAN-USB adaptor that i've been thinking of modifying to a D9 [from memory] but the whole programming thing gives me the geebees. I would want someone else to be responsible for firmware, and for necessary changes only.

Wow that moded bike from the link is another level. I was just going to polish the alloy battery box! And a 17" back wheel! That is a style thing that degrades the performance of the bike in my opinion. A bit more bank-angle from standard would be nice before the chrome encoder cover starts wearing out, but i haven't got the sticky tyres on her yet to push over that far to know if its really a problem. Not too far off though. She may require a crash bar around the motor.