WTB: Vectrix [FOUND]

Vectrix EV Interest Group
memecode
Groupie

WTB: Vectrix [FOUND]

Post by memecode »

Item Condition: Preferable in working order (Li-ion upgrade a plus)
Reason for purchase: Replacing ICE scooter for work commute
Price range: <$4k
Payment Method: Cash

There is one on gumtree, but the chap is not responding to email/txt.

Any others out there?

If it's got original batteries I probably won't go about $1500, if it has something giving it >70km range then I'll consider up to $4k depending on condition and so on.

fret@memecode.com
Last edited by memecode on Sun, 15 Sep 2019, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.
jonescg

WTB: Vectrix (or functional equivilant)

Post by jonescg »

Are you chasing 100 km/h top speed? There are a few decent electric scooters around but they tend to max out at 70 or 80 km/h.
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

Yes definitely. In fact I'm aiming for 110 capable. I do find myself out on the M4 every now and then, and don't want to be not able to keep up with traffic.

The guy selling the green one on gumtree got back to me last night. It's running SLA batteries, and he's claiming it'll do 70-80km on a charge. I'm a little skeptical to be honest. So if I probably need to drop $2.5k of Lithium in there sooner rather than later the $3.5 price seems not such a good deal.

What is a Vectrix with SLA really worth?
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Yes, it's a pity people won't just give them away.

I mean, what do you get?
A local machine for running around really. I don't see them as highway machines.
You plug them in and then you go to the shops or into town on very short 100Kph freeways. Nothing more.
No petrol, no chain, no oil. But you must check the tyres from time to time.
If I were you, I'd give up on this hair-brained idea and buy a Zero.
They're probably only going to ask for a few thou.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

Ok point taken. I guess I'm fishing for historical info on what their prices have been in the last few years, not trying to bargain someone down to the bottom.

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

So I was just outside striping the peeling paint on my house, and I hear the quiet whine of an electric motor coming down the street. Lo and behold a largish red scooter with a big "electric" stenciled down the side drives past. I didn't immediately recognize it, maybe it was a Vectrix? But in the few seconds I had to look at it I couldn't be sure. Could be something else. What production EV scooters have a big white "electric" down the side?
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

That is a very good description for a Vectrix.
They are largish and some have electric down the side as it was added to the bikes.
I bought one without the large "electric" sign on it and as I already had one with that sign on it (not the small "electric" sign you see on the fairing sides near the windscreen, I had to do the same to the new one.
The original one had a white electric decal on it but the other one I obtained was black.
They are big "ships" but they ride well.
When I was buying mine, there were around 4 to 6 for sale at the time though I saw none in the only page I went to just then.
Gotta get 'em while you can :)
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

So hours later it came back up our street and I got another look at it. I think it was a Vectrix, the 3 round dials for the instrument display, the longer length of the body. I was surprised at how loud the engine whine was, like ICE loud.... :( That's certainly making me think twice. It was pushing up the hill at maybe 50-60 kph. I've heard they do get loud after a while. Is that the brushes on the motor that cause the noise?

Now that I look at a bunch of google images the 2009 seems to have a smaller wheelbase... it looked a lot more like the 2009 model rather than the 2007. (At least they look different to me)
Last edited by memecode on Sat, 18 Feb 2017, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

The noise is the straight cut gears in the gearbox. They last forever. The quieter helical cut gears ate quieter, but also weaker with higher friction loses

All the vectrix in Australia are 2007. There was only one shipment of like 200 bikes.

They're fairly cheap now due to their age. It's a shame batteries are getting expensive again
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

memecode wrote:I'm aiming for 110 capable. I do find myself out on the M4 every now and then, and don't want to be not able to keep up with traffic.

A vectrix can definately do that, so can a newer Zero.

memecode wrote: The guy selling the green one on gumtree got back to me last night. It's running SLA batteries, and he's claiming it'll do 70-80km on a charge. I'm a little skeptical to be honest. So if I probably need to drop $2.5k of Lithium in there sooner rather than later the $3.5 price seems not such a good deal.

What is a Vectrix with SLA really worth?

SLA in Vectrix is an interesting thought
service life issues tend to spring to mind, given the power requirements (80A continuous to hold 110kmh, 110A if the conditions are bad)

The other is how much capacity have they actually got?
Or in other words, at what speed can you achieve 70-80km range?
memecode wrote: I guess I'm fishing for historical info on what their prices have been in the last few years, not trying to bargain someone down to the bottom.

I sold a Vectrix with 100km@100kmh range for $6000 in 2015 (had low km as well)

A Vectrix with a good nimh battery can have a decent service life now, thanks to The Laird's firmware, but wouldn't give you the range you're chasing.

out of curiosity, how far is your commute presently, and can you charge at work?

A nimh battery might get you buy for the moment till second hand leaf/tesla modules become more readily available

Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Well I just learned that the E-max scooters will take up to 69 volts, so an 18s LiFePO4 battery, or a 16s LiCoO2 battery would easily push it up to 90 km/h.

Still not your highway speeds, but pretty close.
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

antiscab wrote:out of curiosity, how far is your commute presently, and can you charge at work?

It's 20km each way, and I don't think I can charge at work. In any case I'm planned to have at least 50km in a worst case scenario: cold, lots of hills, headwind etc. So 70+km in normal conditions.

adam lippiatt
Noobie

Post by adam lippiatt »

I have a Vectrix. Easily does 100kmh. Does 80km easy in mixed riding. Great to ride one or two up. I have only 13000 on it so many many years on lion cells before I can justify the upgrade to leaf cells or better. So good.
Vectrix150V
Groupie

Post by Vectrix150V »

I've got one that I need to sell - In Newcastle. I've sent you an email.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

Vectrix150V wrote: I've got one that I need to sell - In Newcastle. I've sent you an email.

Ok got that. Thanks.

Just in the middle of a crazy busy time with selling my house. But it sounds really promising.
Last edited by memecode on Wed, 24 May 2017, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
memecode
Groupie

Re: WTB: Vectrix (or functional equivilant)

Post by memecode »

So that particular one fell through when the battery pack died. I since bought a 200cc scoot which turned out to be pretty good. But it's not electric, I guess if a cheap enough Vectrix shows up then I would still be interested. I see that tesla modules (5.5kWh) are now available for individual purchase. I wonder what BMS and charger "glue" would be needed to run it in a Vectrix?

We got Solar PV 2 weeks back. After many years of waiting, I finally moved house to somewhere where the roof isn't shaded. So far we are generating ~10-16kWh a day. And need ways of using that. Like putting it in a scooter :D
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

There is a fellow who put 3 x Tesla modules into a Vectrix giving 15kwh and 250km range. It means you have to modify the modules into 48v 110Ah units by cutting 2 of the interconnecting plates.

Leaf modules are still the easiest to use.

I do know of a Vectrix in qld whose owner is looking to sell. It has 42 x ts 40ah cells from around 2012. From what I gather one of the cells has died. Fortunately the Vectrix can run with as few as 38 cells
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Yes, that's me. Make an offer :)
Crusherau
Noobie

Post by Crusherau »

Me too, any for sale :) Newcastle area ( Sydney )
Mick
2016 Tesla Model S 75
2014 JDM Nissan Leaf
Looking of a Vectrix Project
Crusherau
Noobie

Post by Crusherau »

No luck :(
Mick
2016 Tesla Model S 75
2014 JDM Nissan Leaf
Looking of a Vectrix Project
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

So after some weeks of negotiation and waiting. I finally got my first EV this week:

And I'm pretty stoked with it. The more I ride, the more I like. It's just awesome. Being able to regen is so much fun. It's got more go than my Scarabeo 200. Which you really notice on the hills. That said the suspension and smaller rear wheel leave the ride quality lacking somewhat.

If the battery gauge is to be believed, I got 45km from full to "half" during my commute on Fri. So maybe 90kms total range? That would be wonderful. But I'm prepared for it to be a little non-linear.

I'm almost keen to get up and go to work first thing Monday... almost ;)

Edit: Range after some testing was actually ~62km. The gauge is not calibrated for the battery at all. However these days it's more like ~50km (circa 2022) with battery degradation.
Last edited by memecode on Sat, 16 Apr 2022, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Re: WTB: Vectrix [FOUND]

Post by EVdownUnder »

Congratulation !
I had a chance to try one about 12 years ago, working in a company full of nerds we convinced Vectrix to come to us for a show, tell and test. As an everyday motorbike commuter at the time I was surprised by the imposing weight of it but also by the crazy torque. Unfortunately at the time to price was very hard to justify in my situation.
All the best with you new very nice looking machine.
Cheers,
Patrick
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf
2022 Galactic grey AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - Sold
Aptera and Savic reservation holder